Any one get so frustrated they switched back to a non E-Bike?

Bill R

Any one get so frustrated they switched back to a non E-Bike they are always breaking, Diamondback Trace EXC in shop 3 times before finally replace motor now in shop for BB Cadence Sensor but that is why you have backup but now E3 Dash has Cadence Sensor Error both will be in shop at same time both under one year old dealers are not equip to deal with repairs and take months to fix. Thinking about asking both dealers for the one year satisfaction guarantee and go back to non-electric

I know how you feel. My first ebike I replaced every electrical component on it in the first year under warranty but I have never wanted to go back to a non ebike. My first bike was not suited for the riding I was doing, it was under powered and too small a battery. My new bike has solved those problems, it still has some intermittent problems but performs well enough that to ride 99% of the time. I am already planning my next bike and the features that I would like to have, I hope that the larger bike companies will produce better more reliable less costly ebikes.

From a reliability standpoint, my two BBS02 builds have been quite solid (~6 months old). Both my wife and I commute 3-5 days a week, wife's bike has experienced zero problems, while I had the mount loosen up on the BBS02 (but that was probably a lack of proper tightening to begin with, not a problem with the drive system itself).

While, I would really like a setup with torque sensing, I am a big fan of finding the right bike and adding electric assist (via Bafang BBS02 or BBSHD) - if you are handy at all you end up with a really nice result for a very reasonable cost. Hopefully, Bafang will introduce a new drive with torque sensing built in!

Cheers...

@Bill R I understand your frustration, and I'm completely surprised that eBikes are still that unreliable today.

After I had a HUGE number of warranty replacements on my A2B Metro the first 2 years, I had no problems for the next 3 years.

On my Stromer zero problems first 3 years... Sold it.

Those bikes you own are well known brands and models.

IF the dealers are offering you your money back, I'd take it. Then look at more reliable models, or DIY

Looked into buying E-bike with mid-drive as I was thinking less trouble but Richardson Bike Mart only shop near me with them in stock was $500 over manufacturer listed retail price as trouble with so much warranty work they need to get top dollar to deal with E-bikes so that was also frustrating.

Don't both off of those bikes use the same tech? I think diamondback uses the same batteries and motors as e3 do.

Don't both off of those bikes use the same tech? I think diamondback uses the same batteries and motors as e3 do.
Yes very similar bikes but as both are less than a year old will not be swapping parts from one to the other. Fun bikes when they run but break so easy. Looked at different tech at LBS - Richardson Bike Mart but prices were above manufacturer listed retail price and they were pompous about there over priced E-Bikes which is frustrating that the dealer network is so bad

That is too bad you've experienced trouble with both, hope it isn't an indicator of overall performance of their bikes in general.

Yes very similar bikes but as both are less than a year old will not be swapping parts from one to the other. Fun bikes when they run but break so easy. Looked at different tech at LBS - Richardson Bike Mart but prices were above manufacturer listed retail price and they were pompous about there over priced E-Bikes which is frustrating that the dealer network is so bad

So sorry to hear about the poor reliability you've experienced. Is your E3 Dash a 2015 or a 2016? Have you checked out Small Planet Ebikes in Dallas?

So sorry to hear about the poor reliability you've experienced. Is your E3 Dash a 2015 or a 2016? Have you checked out Small Planet Ebikes in Dallas?
Have not been to Small Planet EBikes yet as there web site prices are also above most manufacturers list price 2016 E3 dash mid-drive $400 more than IZIP USA web price. I thought they may be pompous about there prices also and I don't even like to pay List price let alone pay more than list.

Have not been to Small Planet EBikes yet as there web site prices are also above most manufacturers list price 2016 E3 dash mid-drive $400 more than IZIP USA web price. I thought they may be pompous about there prices also and I don't even like to pay List price let alone pay more than list.

If you give them a call, I doubt they'd charge a penny more than IZIP's list price. IZIP might have played around with their pricing a bit this year. I think the 2016 Dash started out at $2,999 and then later dropped to $2,599. Any dealer listing $2,999 for an E3 Dash is probably doing it because that was the MSRP back in September 2015 when the new model was announced, which is probably when they added the 2016 E3 Dash to their website. They might've just forgotten to update the MSRP.

Agree totally with Cameron, @Bill R , when you don't have a whole website dept. it's easy to miss some of the pricing changes; been guilty of that more than once on my own shop's website. Besides, I've had the opportunity to meet and visit with Tom, the owner when he was in Austin to see his son. The man is very knowledgeable and passionate about ebikes and has gone out of his way to help us with repairs or warranty work for customers who moved to the Denver area. Give them a call, please!

My limited ebike experience is ... K.I.S.,S. --- I believe that bicycles are a delicate instrument in a harsh environment.
Take a realistic look at the technology on your bike. Will it last through many freeze cycles? Salt spray? Intense vibration & shock? In the ebike marketing arms race, where a cool spec sheet sells, The Consumer should consider their real life conditions and abilities. The more bells & whistles added to make your ride "enjoyable" (expensive), the more failure you'll realize. I bought an new ebike 3 months ago, & because I tinker, I've stripped it completely except I haven't cracked the motor or crank bearings. Basic wrenches. allens & screwdrivers. I know what can go wrong, & it ain't much. Throttle only, no dash, DD hub motor. Simple, inexpensive, reliable. PAS stands for "PROBLEMS ALREADY SIR ? "

People prob had the same complaints about the automobile when they first came out as a collection of parts that worked .... In the hands of a mechanic enthusiast...... But not quite ready for the hands of a retail masses...... I would not try to hold a retail sales service relationship just yet..... There are just too many little things to maintain to have to rely on a retail shop to repair.

I'm sure there are pockets of legit reliable cost effective retail support.... But I'm afraid they are few and very between.

I would build a basic bike with a cheap mail order kit 1st so you understand how these things work, limitations etc.... Then pal up with some skilled helpful enthusiasts and you are off and running.

If you must go retail... Choose wisely as there appear to be more that claim to know and will take your $, than those that really know......

I think this will get better w time. I imagine just about any Chinese national can trouble shoot a basic bafang ebike just because it is their 57chevy:)

I know more about the bikes then the dealer if Currie Technologies would let me get the replacement parts things would be smother and would not take 90 days to repair I had to print dealer support pages to show them how to repair. I also think they should extend warranty by the 90 days it was in the shop if a new Car less then year old car was in shop for 90 days they would be refunding my money. I have bought cars for less money than either bike that have had less problems.

What you can do is call the distributor for your area and explain your problem.. These guys do not want unhappy customers.

Distributor has somehow found the stores my bikes were at and emailed them got one back yesterday good as new and a phone call from the other today. :)

Any one get so frustrated they switched back to a non E-Bike they are always breaking, Diamondback Trace EXC in shop 3 times before finally replace motor now in shop for BB Cadence Sensor but that is why you have backup but now E3 Dash has Cadence Sensor Error both will be in shop at same time both under one year old dealers are not equip to deal with repairs and take months to fix. Thinking about asking both dealers for the one year satisfaction guarantee and go back to non-electric
You didn't by any chance buy your Diamondback at Performance bikes?

Back