Allant Battery Issue

Let's revisit this for a moment.
I did not purchase a $600 bike, I purchased a $6,000 bike.
I should not have to have concerns of a design deficiency that needs to be taught to me, the consumer/purchaser of my "luxury" item, because it was discovered that there are multiple incidents resulting from the original product design.
If remembered, prior to this post, there were a few others, and one of them was mine that I had shared that LBS employees were "concerned" and delaying the Allant because of "L" bracket problems for the battery.
So, we can beat this back and forth like a dead hors.
This bike, although very nice, was a failure on the part of the Research and Development department of Trek.
How long did they "beta test" or how many bikes were part of that test?
Only after initial shipping and delivery these deficiencies came to light?
The BEST part of dealing with a company like Trek is that they take care of their customers and solve their problems.
I'd not consider any other.
But that does not excuse them from the poor judgements and decisions that are shown by this problem.

A young friend ( who is a mechanical engineer) bought a BMW Z4. It kept letting him down so he sold it and bought a Mazda MX5. The Z4 cost much more than the Miata. High sticker price does not always guarantee perfection.

I too have had similar experiences, owning over 80 cars, trucks, motorcycles, e-bikes.
I've had good and bad experiences.
However, let's not deviate from the point here: Who was asleep at the wheel? How could THIS defect be allowed into production? What does that say for the long term trust that Trek is working hard to build?
Everyone is entitled to make a mistake. But if I was the design engineer who created this battery lock mechanism, and it was allowed to propagate into the real world, I'd have been fired.
This is the point.
Who is minding the ship?
Todays economy has lots and lots of marketing and sales, support is considered secondary, and it is realized very simply by daily experiences with almost any product or vendor.
Being Trek is stepping things up with a nationwide dealer network and highly competitive products, one has to wonder how this was overlooked, that is the only point I wish to emphasize here.

I too have had similar experiences, owning over 80 cars, trucks, motorcycles, e-bikes.
However, let's not deviate from the point here: Who was asleep at the wheel? How could THIS defect be allowed into production? What does that say for the long term trust that Trek is working hard to build?
Everyone is entitled to make a mistake. But if I was the design engineer who created this battery lock mechanism, and it was allowed to propagate into the real world, I'd have been fired.
This is the point.
Who is minding the ship?
Todays economy has lots and lots of marketing and sales, support is considered secondary, and it is realized very simply by daily experiences with almost any product or vendor.
Being Trek is stepping things up with a nationwide dealer network and highly competitive products, one has to wonder how this was overlooked, that is the only point I wish to emphasize here.
You have a valid point of view for sure. I just cannot help thinking of common examples of this corporate behaviour. Microsoft Windows comes foremost to mind. They sell it first and patch it later. Does anybody get fired ? That is why I will not buy a Bosch Gen 4 motor until I am sure it has no big issues.

I learned decades ago to not buy first year major design model changes. I think the last straw for me was a turbocharged 1979 Ford Mustang. Miserable damned car! I carry that knowledge today. You’re living in a fantasy world if you think major companies should have extensive long term testing of product lines. They use finite element analysis and other computer simulations to predict failures. They aren’t going to put riders on saddles for 6 months of testing before releasing. Technology moves too quickly to allow Beta testing.

This is the point.
Who is minding the ship?
Wow so many cars? Are you Jay Leno ? How come so many?

Wheels, Work, Wine, WWW, in that order. When the new car smell starts to fade, time for a renewed odor.

Last edited:
one has to wonder how this was overlooked, that is the only point I wish to emphasize here.

It looks like they kind of rushed to bring this ebike to the market. Most companies are bringing the new ones in February/March.

It was the same with the EV cars- The Tesla model 3 had many issues in the beginning , actually most of the 1st year.

Just put it togheter, ship it and make the sale !! We worry about problems later...

Haibike- The Flyon models are not available yet for 2020.
Stromer - no new 2020 yet
BH- March/April for tHE US models.

RE: "It was the same with the EV cars"
I had a 2013 Ford Focus Electric, I was an "early adopter"
However, I'm under an NDA, I cannot discuss.
So yes, just like Microsoft introducing Windows 98 at the Las Vegas Comdex in 1998 ( https://www.itprotoday.com/windows-8/windows-98-crashes-during-gates-demo ), the world has learned; Introduce the product, flaws, bugs, problems, generate enough revenue, fix the problems as we make more money. This is the business model that the would has adopted and yearned to follow, and why the 'Streets Are Paved With Gold'.
I sometimes wish I could get away with what things others do and retire a billionaire. But that is not in my DNA.
Seems to be the way it is.

This is somewhat off topic ... call me a Ludite but I prefer the powerpacks. I would have to figure out a new way to carry extra powertubes ,which I suppose would not be that difficult but I like the handle on the powerpack. I know they will be phased out since the powertubes can already hold 625 but if I have to switch batteries anyways I might switch over to a Shimano powered bike when the time comes.
Well, my Trek bike is the Cross-Rip E with 2 powerpacks. Right now it is set up without fenders or rack and 700 x 40 gravel tires. Come spring, the road tires will go back on and the rack for long trips and need for a spare battery so I prefer the powerpack as well. I think it adds more versatility to the bike.

I suggest you Google Cummins Diesel in Bloomington, Indiana to see that Diesel engine manufacturers all over the world did the same thing. Cummins was fined and had a major recall. Volkswagen just had the deep pockets and were an easy target. Here’s a list of manufacturers besides Cummins. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_emissions_scandal

Thus reinforcing what I said - there is no good or bad product based on country of origin. By the way, a lot of the Germans are in jail for these violations, I don't recall anyone else doing jail time. Every other car - not truck - manufacturer had to use bluetech additive to achieve emissions goals, only the Germans sold cars in the US without it which they claimed was due to their advanced technical prowess - which I guess is true, no other manufacturer was as good at cheating.

I didn't quote you or intend to imply anything about your experience. Just a general comment. I have seen it all. The guy that stuck his key in the charge port considered himself adept. (I've had two incidents and read of several more)
But PLEASE, do not take this as any sort of personal affront.
In reading this thread and others regarding this battery issue, I noticed that some users remarked that the battery stayed in place if the lock was disengaged before replacing the battery. I can only report on what I've read. And I could be completely off base. But IMNSHE I've seen designs that required a step in the process that was left to what makers assumed was logical but end users didn't find it so.

You implied that unlocking prior to seating could be a solution? Was it?

This response from the fellas' dealer is what I would have expected to do. IME latching mechanisms and their associated parts are often unobtanium for many battery packs. I would have always unlocked and inserted and tested the firmness.
But, again, only because any failures on my bikes are my fault.

Is there a technique that solves the problem?
Hi.i had a problem with the locking mechanism on my new trek allant +7.took it back to the lbs and under 5 minutes had it adjusted and now works perfect.

I got my Allant 9s back from LBS last week after losing the battery hitting pothole. I assumed at the time that somehow it was my fault since the bike was new to me. A week or two later the battery began giving me fits to actually connect. LBS checked it out, battery diagnostics were fine, tech had no problem connecting power. They did order a new cover at my expense. Now after two great rides I am having the connection problem again. I just called LBS who will look into it with Trek. They did say they actually spoke with rep when it was in for the issue. No problem with LBS who are responsive...just with the bike which is great when working

I lost connection with the battery on Friday. Trek picked up the bike on Saturday afternoon and I got the bike back on Sunday.

It is quite fussy to get the battery bottom junction to the bike properly aligned so that there is no loss of continuity and the battery is held firmly in place.

There are four bolts holding the male plug plate in the bottom of the down tube in place and that has to be aligned just so or a contact will periodically lose it. I

I got the bike back yesterday, tested, ridden and working.

I confess to having put the battery back in haste, not carefully making sure that it was fully inserted at the bottom before swinging the to in and tried to lock it in place but it would not go. I pulled it back out and inserted the bottom with more care. The next time I tried to start the bike it did not recognize the battery as being present. I suspect my hastey effort skewed things just enough to cause the problem. In the future, I will try to avoid removing the battery and when I do be more careful reinserting it.

Last edited:
Disappointing to read of the issues you guys are having with the battery connections. I had my own connection problems with my XM700 that never were completely tracked down. Not exactly what you expect when it says TREK on the downtube.

In this case, I think it is a poorly thought out design, that make real world misalignment more possible. It is too easy to insert it in the bottom, which must be done first, and not have it fully in place. The 625 is a long battery. When you go to swing the top in you have a ton of leverage against what holds the bottom out of place and can move the plate with the male plug at the bottom of the tube, resulting in a loss of continuity. I am not sure how to do this any better but it is something I will have to take care with going forward. The engineers at Trek need to redesign the bottom of the down tube such that the battery will only drop into place when it is properly positioned and inserted.

1,000% agreed. I think the handful of "us" should be the forthcoming "beta testers" for future Trek considerations before they build it and then later find out these types of issues.
Sounding more like that Edsel, Yugo, eh?

Last edited:
1,000% agreed. I think the handful of "us" should be the forthcoming "beta testers" for future Trek considerations before they build it and then later find out these types of issues.
Sounding more like that Edsel, eh?
Edsels ran as good or bad as any other Ford at the time. they were just ugly and people didn't buy them.

I left my Allant with the LBS today to troubleshoot the connection issues. I tried numerous times yesterday to get a connection and some before I took it in. They met me at the door, and of course the battery connected when the button was pushed. We pulled the battery out, reinserted and then on the retry nothing. I did hand them a printout of relevant comments from EBR on the two threads. My SC7 is my beater and feels exactly like that after the Allant.

Back