Allant 7

Silvercat

Hi,
Impressed with my first mid drive brief test ride today on the Allant 7. At 6'3, the xlarge seems best fit. But, none available until January!!
Main key is the ability to climb steep hills, more so than with current Moscow plus hub drive.

Look forward to recommendations re stem riser. Dealer today recommended an Evo one, at $40.00. Said it was better than Bontrager ones, re adjustability.

Any recommendations appreciated!

Your dealer probably knows what they're talking about. If they recommend that riser I'm inclined to agree

There's endless stem and handlebar options to make your bike comfortable as possible. I'd suggest maybe riding it for a while before making changes so you know exactly what will feel best.

We started shopping for two Allants July of 2021. They were scarce then but a few scattered about within reasonable driving distance. Found two of them about 30 miles away in the right size. You can search inventory on Trek's web site. Good luck!

There's endless stem and handlebar options to make your bike comfortable as possible. I'd suggest maybe riding it for a while before making changes so you know exactly what will feel best.

We started shopping for two Allants July of 2021. They were scarce then but a few scattered about within reasonable driving distance. Found two of them about 30 miles away in the right size. You can search inventory on Trek's web site. Good luck!
Hi,
Thank you…most appreciated! And, I too would drive a long way (at least 100 miles) to grab a preferred bike.
I will try access Trek’s website.
Dodgers all the way!

When I bought my Allant+ 7s, my Trek tech said a handlebar riser was the most commonly purchased add-on to the bike. Several riser options available. I chose the 7s over (at that time) available 8s and 9s specifically for the front suspension and more adaptable rear carrier. Choosing the Speed motor was the first decision point. Having the extra speed when wanted is better than not having it when you need it.

When I bought my Allant+ 7s, my Trek tech said a handlebar riser was the most commonly purchased add-on to the bike. Several riser options available. I chose the 7s over (at that time) available 8s and 9s specifically for the front suspension and more adaptable rear carrier. Choosing the Speed motor was the first decision point. Having the extra speed when wanted is better than not having it when you need it.
Thanks. Very true. Sadly, found out earliest date to get Trek 7 is end of January, if not later.
Looks like Giant Explore Pro by end of August will be my decision.

In hindsight opting for the 7s was a great decision. We feel the same for exactly the same reasons ✅

Thank you!
I finally found a shop near Vancouver, BC that told me they have an X-Large Trek Allant 7 scheduled to arrive at the end of this May. I was very happy to hear that, BUT, 3 issues concern me:
1) they want me to order it via their online sales and pay the full price of $5000. plus tax. The sales person assured me that I would be getting that bike, even if delayed.
2) although they have 3 locations, some customer reviews cite terrible after sales service and some claim they are still waiting for their purchased bikes, after many months of false promises.
3) when I checked the Allant 7 specs, it stated: Motor: Bosch Performance CX, magnesium motor body, 250 watt, 75 Nm.

My understanding from countless online reviews is that the Allant 7 comes wit’s a 85 nm Bosch Performance CX motor.

I would appreciate any suggestions, as I am feeling terribly sceptical about placing an online order with that shop,

Thank you!

Thank you!
I finally found a shop near Vancouver, BC that told me they have an X-Large Trek Allant 7 scheduled to arrive at the end of this May. I was very happy to hear that, BUT, 3 issues concern me:
1) they want me to order it via their online sales and pay the full price of $5000. plus tax. The sales person assured me that I would be getting that bike, even if delayed.
2) although they have 3 locations, some customer reviews cite terrible after sales service and some claim they are still waiting for their purchased bikes, after many months of false promises.
3) when I checked the Allant 7 specs, it stated: Motor: Bosch Performance CX, magnesium motor body, 250 watt, 75 Nm.

My understanding from countless online reviews is that the Allant 7 comes wit’s a 85 nm Bosch Performance CX motor.

I would appreciate any suggestions, as I am feeling terribly sceptical about placing an online order with that shop,

Thank you!
Drive down to Seattle, several in stock there and around Portland.

Thank you!

Thank you!
There was a software update to 85Nm for the Bosch CX motor. Had all three of our bikes updated before leaving the shop. One Rail and both Allant's. If the bike comes packed in the original shipping box don't see why that would be an issue but you may be asked to pay the freight as well? CA or US dollars? That price seems very high for a 7? We paid $4,000 and change for the 7s. BTW - the software updates aren't difficult for any dealer to do. My local shop doesn't even charge to do it. Those are the shops you want to support with tires, tubes and accessories if possible. Bit of give and take.

There was a software update to 85Nm for the Bosch CX motor. Had all three of our bikes updated before leaving the shop. One Rail and both Allant's. If the bike comes packed in the original shipping box don't see why that would be an issue but you may be asked to pay the freight as well? CA or US dollars? That price seems very high for a 7? We paid $4,000 and change for the 7s. BTW - the software updates aren't difficult for any dealer to do. My local shop doesn't even charge to do it. Those are the shops you want to support with tires, tubes and accessories if possible. Bit of give and take.
Thanks! Great that it is just a software update. $5000.00 Canadian dollars (British Columbia). No freight charge…unless I will be hit with that as a surprise! Yes, high price as our Canadian dollar is pathetic (Thanks Trudope!)
I agree with supporting local bike shops, IF they have the Trek bike I want. But, the one and onlyTrek dealer/shop where I live has a terrible inventory…expects Trek Allant 7’s next summer (2023) and cannot guarantee size.
I have also been dealing with a Trek corporate store (about 60 miles from here) and am still waiting (after one week) to receive a promised call from them with anticipated arrival dates of Trek 7’s.
It is getting to the point where I will buy a Giant Explore Pro (Yamaha motor) that I reserved (expected early September) if the Trek remains unavailable. But, sure not looking forward to the 6 or 7 hour round trip to get that Giant, let alone the costs of a hitch and ebike platform rack for my Civic. That Giant is $5000.00 too.
At least, I have heard Giant has excellent warranty and customer service. And that Yamaha motor appears solid…I hope!!
Thanks again!

I made a 600 mile round trip and spent a night on the road to get my Allant+ 7 Low Step in March. I needed the low step version due to my inflexible 72 yo body. I wanted the class 1 CX motor as I expect to do most of my riding on the rail trails and other multi use paths in addition to lightly traveled park and residential streets. The legal restrictions on the class 3 version on the trails may or may not be enforced, but 20 mph seems plenty fast for my purpose.

I had the Bontrager adjustable stem installed to provide a more upright riding position. It’s better than the standard stem, but it can’t be adjusted to the fully upright position without changing to longer cables.

I’m loving the Allant. I ride for fitness, not so much for transportation, so I ride mostly in Eco mode that seems to provide a little more than the assistance needed to overcome the added weight. I average about 2 miles per hour faster than I did on my acoustic Verve. The big difference is that I can move up the assist level as needed to climb an incline or fight a head wind. Looking forward to a good summer.

Hope you find a satisfactory bike soon.

Hi,
Thanks very much!
I have secured an Allant 7 for late July, early August. Appreciate your Bontrager adjustable stem recommendation, as I am 6’3 and sure would be more comfortable with a more upright riding position. Too bad the cables are not a little longer but some improvement is better than none.

Curious about the Thule Easy Fold rack. Reading several complaints that one of the support arms can fall off/become loose after hitting any small bumps while driving. Seems ridiculous for an 1100.00 (Canadian price at Rack Attack) rack! My 2014 Civic sedan has a 1 and 1/4 inch hitch.
Thanks again!

Hi,
Thanks very much!
I have secured an Allant 7 for late July, early August. Appreciate your Bontrager adjustable stem recommendation, as I am 6’3 and sure would be more comfortable with a more upright riding position. Too bad the cables are not a little longer but some improvement is better than none.

Curious about the Thule Easy Fold rack. Reading several complaints that one of the support arms can fall off/become loose after hitting any small bumps while driving. Seems ridiculous for an 1100.00 (Canadian price at Rack Attack) rack! My 2014 Civic sedan has a 1 and 1/4 inch hitch.
Thanks again!
I have a Thule Easy Fold. The support arms won’t fall off if they’re properly installed, and locked for transport. My only problem is my wife’s Rad Mini and my new Specialized Creo won’t play nice on it….couldn’t find a way to position them so they don’t make contact. On the other hand, two Rad minis will fit, as will a Rad mini and a Trek Allant+ 9.9s.

I have gone with a good adjustable angle stem and been very pleased.

They come in various lengths and allow you to dial in to what you find most comfortable and adjust accordingly. If that changes (which it will). I like the Ercotec Swell-X Not the cheapest but the strongest and most secure.

Ergotec-Swell-X-40254111.jpg

Last edited:
I made a 600 mile round trip and spent a night on the road to get my Allant+ 7 Low Step in March. I needed the low step version due to my inflexible 72 yo body. I wanted the class 1 CX motor as I expect to do most of my riding on the rail trails and other multi use paths in addition to lightly traveled park and residential streets. The legal restrictions on the class 3 version on the trails may or may not be enforced, but 20 mph seems plenty fast for my purpose.

I had the Bontrager adjustable stem installed to provide a more upright riding position. It’s better than the standard stem, but it can’t be adjusted to the fully upright position without changing to longer cables.

I’m loving the Allant. I ride for fitness, not so much for transportation, so I ride mostly in Eco mode that seems to provide a little more than the assistance needed to overcome the added weight. I average about 2 miles per hour faster than I did on my acoustic Verve. The big difference is that I can move up the assist level as needed to climb an incline or fight a head wind. Looking forward to a good summer.

Hope you find a satisfactory bike soon.
Well done @IndyChuck ✅ We use ours in about the same way. It's a game changer to make getting out there easier and more manageable. When I go solo without my wife the ride tends to be a bit quicker but even riding together it's easy to keep a nice cadence. New bikes are showing up at dealers, just not consistent yet.

Hi,
Thanks very much!

Thanks again!
I have the Thule Easy Fold rack as well. I haven’t had any problems yet. It seems pretty solid to me. I can’t help but wonder if the people who experienced the problem were pushing the weight limit for the rack. I have only used it with the one Allant. If someone was putting two of them or some of the heavier fat bikes, I can see that it could be a problem. I do take it pretty slow over the speed bumps. Mine is on a Nissan Altima with the 1 1/4 hitch. I bought the Thule to replace a Saris Freedom 2 because I couldn’t see lifting a bike this heavy around the obstacles of that rack. I was expecting to use the ramp to load the new bike, but I found that I can just lift the front wheel onto the platform, roll it forward till the back wheel reaches the platform, lift the back wheel onto the rack and roll it forward till it’s in position to be locked down. If it was on a taller vehicle like an SUV, I’m sure I’d need the ramp. Probably the longer one that Thule sells separately. It’s also much easier to mount and dismount the rack to the hitch than was the case with the Saris. I can’t imagine a better designed rack for my purpose.

Back