Allant+7 thoughts/review

Not sure the part number for Trek’s ebike chain. Good news, though, it has outlasted the original chain by 2x miles and shows no stretch.

Also, FYI, different topic, I just replaced the Schwalbe G-Ones with Panaracer Gravelking SK tires. Loved the G-Ones but they are no match for prickly things on the trail. Even with Slime. Going tubeless. As soon as it stops raining I hope to test them out.
I got the bike up on the stand this weekend to figure out the skipping chain issue. Lo and behold the cable pinch bolt was loose!! Not loose enough that it just popped apart and I would have noticed!! Just enough that it was like a stretched cable. Anyway got the derailer re-set with the up and down limit screws and a tight cable and, COOL, smooth shifting bike again!! Easy fix solution to a potential expensive fix situation.
Ride on everybody!!

I can't believe you guys are reporting 3000 miles out of G-ones. Maybe I have a softer compound, but my rear is about cooked after 900 miles. Just ordered up a set of IRC Boken Road Plus to replace them. Can't get Maxxis Torch in a 27.5 :( . I try to keep my Allant+ 7S on the pavement and the G-ones are a little sketchy when cornering harder.

As far as the tubeless ready thing goes, you can run tubeless in tires that aren't tubeless rated most of the time. As long as the rim and bead are compatible, and most are, you just lose a little sealant through the sidewall 'till it seals up. You do have to keep pressures lower though, but flats are rare things in tubeless setups as long as they're set up properly and you keep the sealant fresh. The big downside of tubeless in a bike like this, at least for me, is that they leak over time. Tubes hold pressure over time better and don't need to be topped up before every ride...which is handy for a commuter.

I can't believe you guys are reporting 3000 miles out of G-ones. Maybe I have a softer compound, but my rear is about cooked after 900 miles. Just ordered up a set of IRC Boken Road Plus to replace them. Can't get Maxxis Torch in a 27.5 :( . I try to keep my Allant+ 7S on the pavement and the G-ones are a little sketchy when cornering harder.

As far as the tubeless ready thing goes, you can run tubeless in tires that aren't tubeless rated most of the time. As long as the rim and bead are compatible, and most are, you just lose a little sealant through the sidewall 'till it seals up. You do have to keep pressures lower though, but flats are rare things in tubeless setups as long as they're set up properly and you keep the sealant fresh. The big downside of tubeless in a bike like this, at least for me, is that they leak over time. Tubes hold pressure over time better and don't need to be topped up before every ride...which is handy for a commuter.
Picture showing G-ones when I replaced them at 3,300 miles. And I like to slide my rear tire for kicks. 2,200 on Panaracer Gravelkings, tubeless, and just replaced the rear tire. And no flats with tubless!
6B193A05-CDB7-4879-9A16-6E5BA2111AEB.jpeg

I purchased and had my Trek dealer install the second battery on my Allant. I decided to go for it because this bike will do some touring for me and the extra range will be great. I can focus on the riding and experience instead of always thinking about the next charge up opportunity. I've done a couple of overnights and the single battery has done it's job but I want a bit more range without charging. I leave it off for my daily commuting because it is not needed and no need to haul the extra weight and risk theft. The bike sits in my office all day and I charge every third day or so with the single battery. My only beef??? It took away both of my beverage holders. One of course for the battery mount on the tube where the first battery goes. But it also took away the one that is on the down tube because when the battery is installed the screw bosses are too low and don't allow for the bottle cage to be mounted. A bit of unthinking engineering by the Trek people. If the bosses were about an 1 1/2" inches higher it would all fit slick. I'll try that set of bosses right under the upper tube, but will a bottle stay in a holder there??

I purchased and had my Trek dealer install the second battery on my Allant. I decided to go for it because this bike will do some touring for me and the extra range will be great. I can focus on the riding and experience instead of always thinking about the next charge up opportunity. I've done a couple of overnights and the single battery has done it's job but I want a bit more range without charging. I leave it off for my daily commuting because it is not needed and no need to haul the extra weight and risk theft. The bike sits in my office all day and I charge every third day or so with the single battery. My only beef??? It took away both of my beverage holders. One of course for the battery mount on the tube where the first battery goes. But it also took away the one that is on the down tube because when the battery is installed the screw bosses are too low and don't allow for the bottle cage to be mounted. A bit of unthinking engineering by the Trek people. If the bosses were about an 1 1/2" inches higher it would all fit slick. I'll try that set of bosses right under the upper tube, but will a bottle stay in a holder there??
Also, it is goat-head season season and I asked about going tubeless and the dealer talked me in to Tannus liners. I've had them on for about two weeks and my fear was the change in handling but I don't notice any difference. I have tried those slime tubes in the past but in the cold weather the slime goo freezes up into clumps but does not unclump when it gets warm again. Kinda like Latex paint when it freezes, looks like cottage cheese. It was like riding with pea gravel inside your tires. I think I'm going to like the liners!!

Also, it is goat-head season season and I asked about going tubeless and the dealer talked me in to Tannus liners. I've had them on for about two weeks and my fear was the change in handling but I don't notice any difference. I have tried those slime tubes in the past but in the cold weather the slime goo freezes up into clumps but does not unclump when it gets warm again. Kinda like Latex paint when it freezes, looks like cottage cheese. It was like riding with pea gravel inside your tires. I think I'm going to like the liners!!

Liners kinda work, but I've still had goat's heads get through them. And you take a big weight penalty in the most sensitive spot to weight on a bike. Tubeless is superior for goat's heads. Plus it's fun to pull them out in front of your tube friends and watch the magic happen (as you spin the tire of course :) )

Great thread! I am considering my first bike for a 30 mile commute. I have been looking at the Allant+ 7s versus the Vado 4. I know this is a somewhat biased group ;], but I would love to hear thoughts on the comparison of these two. So far I have riden a number of ebikes form the Aventon Level 2, pedal, and also a Vado 3 (the 4 is not available around here right now). I have not ridden the Allant but it is next on my list. I am a seasoned bike rider with tens of thousands of commute miles on a gravel bike. I need some help due to "issues" with an aging body. Some suspension absurd the bumps would help a lot. I have owned (and still own) many Treks, so I trust the technology. The Vado seems to get outstanding reviews from everyone, but as mentioned is not available from the LBS or directly from Specialized. The LBS says next Fall on availability. The Trek is available now. I am curious what people here think.

Look to ride the Allant 8s which is a better value in my opinion. I own an allant 7s and 9s. On the Bosch platform are a few other brands like Cannondale, Gazelle, Zen. Some on EBR have spoken favorably of Cannondale’s Neo series If you wanted a lighter bike. Specialized has a similar class.

Great thread! I am considering my first bike for a 30 mile commute. I have been looking at the Allant+ 7s versus the Vado 4. I know this is a somewhat biased group ;], but I would love to hear thoughts on the comparison of these two. So far I have riden a number of ebikes form the Aventon Level 2, pedal, and also a Vado 3 (the 4 is not available around here right now). I have not ridden the Allant but it is next on my list. I am a seasoned bike rider with tens of thousands of commute miles on a gravel bike. I need some help due to "issues" with an aging body. Some suspension absurd the bumps would help a lot. I have owned (and still own) many Treks, so I trust the technology. The Vado seems to get outstanding reviews from everyone, but as mentioned is not available from the LBS or directly from Specialized. The LBS says next Fall on availability. The Trek is available now. I am curious what people here think.
Hi Crayfish!! I am like you, commuted for years on my bikes but the commute I have is all uphill for the trip home plus usually into the prevailing headwind and after all the years it just became a slog that I was not enjoying very much anymore. This distressed me a bit so I started thinking about an ebike for some help and to revitalize my ride and attitude. Mission accomplished with the Allant 7s. It rides like my regular bikes except for that bit of boost to keep me rolling along at a reasonable speed. I can't give you a review of those other bikes because I only really considered three different bikes, the hub drive RAD bikes while being less money I did not like the heavy ride they are. I did get a RAD city five for my wife and she loves it with the throttle choice. I also looked hard at the Surly Cargo ebike (all my analog bikes are Surly's) but found the Trek was the better value and it turns out I really did not need the cargo function. I see Surly just came out with the Skid Steer, smaller frame than the Cargo. I'm sure it is a great bike with frame and components but jeez, 5K for a commuter bike with out fenders or lights??? Seems an insult to have to buy those aftermarket. Hey! Good luck with your choice!! Ride strong!!

Look to ride the Allant 8s which is a better value in my opinion. I own an allant 7s and 9s. On the Bosch platform are a few other brands like Cannondale, Gazelle, Zen. Some on EBR have spoken favorably of Cannondale’s Neo series If you wanted a lighter bike. Specialized has a similar class.
I looked at the 8S but it does not have a suspension fork and I need that feature for physical reasons. I rode a Gazelle, pretty nice but the geometry was wrong for me.

Hi Crayfish!! I am like you, commuted for years on my bikes but the commute I have is all uphill for the trip home plus usually into the prevailing headwind and after all the years it just became a slog that I was not enjoying very much anymore. This distressed me a bit so I started thinking about an ebike for some help and to revitalize my ride and attitude. Mission accomplished with the Allant 7s. It rides like my regular bikes except for that bit of boost to keep me rolling along at a reasonable speed. I can't give you a review of those other bikes because I only really considered three different bikes, the hub drive RAD bikes while being less money I did not like the heavy ride they are. I did get a RAD city five for my wife and she loves it with the throttle choice. I also looked hard at the Surly Cargo ebike (all my analog bikes are Surly's) but found the Trek was the better value and it turns out I really did not need the cargo function. I see Surly just came out with the Skid Steer, smaller frame than the Cargo. I'm sure it is a great bike with frame and components but jeez, 5K for a commuter bike with out fenders or lights??? Seems an insult to have to buy those aftermarket. Hey! Good luck with your choice!! Ride strong!!
I will test out the 7s for sure. I have ridden a Salsa Vaya for the last decade and loved it but it has just become too hard to take the constant pounding. 150 miles a week takes it toll week in and week out. I am hoping the eBike route with suspension on the front is the way to solve this.

Don’t overlook the Specialized Tero. With the ability to now update it to a Class 3, this thing is looking extremely good.

I will test out the 7s for sure. I have ridden a Salsa Vaya for the last decade and loved it but it has just become too hard to take the constant pounding. 150 miles a week takes it toll week in and week out. I am hoping the eBike route with suspension on the front is the way to solve this.
Definitely go for the suspension. I chose the 7s over the 8 & 9 primarily for the front suspension and the more usable rear rack. 1st adds were a suspension seat post and handlebar riser.

Consider as well the componentry of the 7 is less rugged than the 8 & 9 so upgrades have always been an objective with every component maintenance replacement.

Class 3 only makes sense when you consider it is always advantageous to be able to go faster if necessary.

The suspension of the 7 is all but useless. A Kinect and perhaps stem. And the 8 is more comfortable

The suspension of the 7 is all but useless. A Kinect and perhaps stem. And the 8 is more comfortable
the bike tires on the 8 do most of it. I had 1.5" tires on my bills and even with a decent suspension fox shock fork made from commuting the ride is harsher then the 8

You aren't wrong about the suspension. It's far and away my biggest complaint about the 7. But how is the 8 more comfy?

Definitely go for the suspension. I chose the 7s over the 8 & 9 primarily for the front suspension and the more usable rear rack. 1st adds were a suspension seat post and handlebar riser.

Consider as well the componentry of the 7 is less rugged than the 8 & 9 so upgrades have always been an objective with every component maintenance replacement.

Class 3 only makes sense when you consider it is always advantageous to be able to go faster if necessary.
Upgrades are always budgeted for when I buy any bike, saddle is first

Upgrades are always budgeted for when I buy any bike, saddle is first

My 7 has the most comfy saddle I've ever used. I can get about 8 hours in it before I have to call it quits. And that's with a rigid seatpost. I'd recommend giving this one a fair shake before swapping.

Back