Allant+7 thoughts/review

I hope that this post doesn't violate the thread but I struggled to make room for my Garmin Varia radar on my MIK Bag. I finally solved it with purchasing a small item from Amazon and attaching it to my bag as shown in the pictures below. I'll do a test ride later today. I may attach a zip tie from the mount to the yellow band on the bottom to prevent any wiggling of the mount.

IMG_3242.JPG
IMG_3243.JPG

What's the advantage of Garmin radar over a mirror? I find my bar end mirror does quite well. Am I missing something?
I have both. I find the radar very dependable and useful, warning me of cars quite a distance before my ears pick up the sound of them. Especially with electric cars which at times don't make any sound.

I have both. I find the radar very dependable and useful, warning me of cars quite a distance before my ears pick up the sound of them. Especially with electric cars which at times don't make any sound.
Yep its lets you use your ears more then your eyes to know what's going on behind you.

Yep its lets you use your ears more then your eyes to know what's going on behind you.
Interesting. I live and ride in a rural area. It must be much quieter because I often hear the cars long before I see them in my mirror! This is especially true where the road is curvy.
Thank you both for clarifying.

Why do you think Trek made the tires of the Allant + 7S wide? Is it because it's a heavier bike than something comparable?
Thanks for your replies.

Why do you think Trek made the tires of the Allant + 7S wide? Is it because it's a heavier bike than something comparable?
Thanks for your replies.
IDK what Trek is thinking but the tires do roll nice and offer a very stable and comfortable ride. What's your take? It's a fast bike by any standard so they probably made it as user friendly as possible.

IDK what Trek is thinking but the tires do roll nice and offer a very stable and comfortable ride. What's your take? It's a fast bike by any standard so they probably made it as user friendly as possible.
I am not sure either. I do love the bike so much in many ways.

Interesting. I live and ride in a rural area. It must be much quieter because I often hear the cars long before I see them in my mirror! This is especially true where the road is curvy.
Thank you both for clarifying.
the radar works about 150 yards so you may not hear those. But it also lets you know a vehicle is going fast and when its clear. just less time looking in the mirror and knowing more what's going on.

Last edited:
My chain is skipping like crazy on the smallest sprocket over the past few days. I am going to take it back to the shop and ask them to change it from 11t to 12t.

My chain is skipping like crazy on the smallest sprocket over the past few days. I am going to take it back to the shop and ask them to change it from 11t to 12t.
Before you change cassettes, try re-seating your axle in the frame. Loosen and re-tighten the axle. That solved my chain skipping problem. Worth a try. Changing gear ratios can open up other problems.

Last edited:
Well… the bike has been in and out of the lbs now. I was going to do the axel thing that was suggested but I have a tight schedule over the weekend so the bike went in a day early before I get to try the new fix out.

Anyway, new cassette and new chain. Got the shimano xs-hg-400-9 11-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32T. So hopefully I’ll be riding the 12t more than the 11t. I can see the old cassette has quite worn out 11t.

My daily ride involves a lot of flat road hence I am always riding the 11t. At the same time I have one steep uphill bit which requires me to use the larger sprockets.

Would be ideal to have 11-12-13-15 and then something 30+t on the largest sprocket but doubt you get that on a 9 speed.

Attachments

• D2AA7084-8A52-4D48-BFF0-F59AAB61CCCB.jpeg
    D2AA7084-8A52-4D48-BFF0-F59AAB61CCCB.jpeg
    299.6 KB · Views: 166
I've been using Stan's tire sealant installed in my tubes & it has been great! No need to worry about going tubeless, unless you want to. It's worked for me a couple of times & will always use it.
Do you use the Stan's NoTubes Tire Sealant in your tubes?

FYI, I have been unable to “break the bead“ on the tire without an extra set of hands. Apparently the G-Ones are known for a good, tight fit to the wheel.
Yeah, these are a son-of-gun to get back on. There is a "touch" to them where you have to get both beads into the center of the rim to get both beads of the tire fully onto the rim. I paid to learn this lesson with some sore thumbs and a pinched tube that I just threw away with so many pinches in it. With experience I can get the tire back on just using my thumbs. I think I'll be able to do it on the road if I absolutely have to!!

Upgraded to Trek’s ebike chain — which Trek does not provide as standard equipment, and Shimano Deore derailleur. Cassette, not sure of brand. All were recommended by Trek technician. Next upgrade may be to a 10 gear set.

I experience the same chain skipping as you in the smallest gear. Many have tried to adjust it, but the problem persists. Best temporary fix is frequent cleanings and lubes, but problem continues.

Turbo all of the time, every ride!View attachment 116213
Interesting on the original chain from Trek being a standard chain. When they replaced the chain at 1300 miles the mechanic told me to always get the ebike version of the chain, I just assumed that is what the bike came stock with. I have 1800 miles on this ebike chain and it shows almost no wear using the Park chain tool. I have some chain skip but it is during shifting with the derailer trying to find a gear. I'm sure I need some adjusting in cable length and derailer. I'll get it up on the stand this weekend. I've never been a fan of indexed shifting and I may just change it to a thumbie friction shifter. My analog bikes have all been changed to friction shfting.

Interesting on the original chain from Trek being a standard chain. When they replaced the chain at 1300 miles the mechanic told me to always get the ebike version of the chain, I just assumed that is what the bike came stock with. I have 1800 miles on this ebike chain and it shows almost no wear using the Park chain tool. I have some chain skip but it is during shifting with the derailer trying to find a gear. I'm sure I need some adjusting in cable length and derailer. I'll get it up on the stand this weekend. I've never been a fan of indexed shifting and I may just change it to a thumbie friction shifter. My analog bikes have all been changed to friction shfting.
I have tested both and I would get 2500 miles on a regular shimano or kmc chain and 3000 on a e bike chain. but the e bike chain is almost twice the price.

I have some chain skip but it is during shifting with the derailer trying to find a gear. I'm sure I need some adjusting in cable length and derailer.
Per chain skip, look closely at worn teeth in your cassette. I replaced mine at 1,250 and again at 3,550 miles for chain skipping. I kept thinking chain or derailleur but both are still good at 5k miles. However, I ride fast and hard so your mileage may be different, but I now know better and will likely change the cassette again as soon as chain skip starts again.

I replace just the smallest gears(s) on the cassette usually once then replace the chain and cassette after skipping starts again …or should I say the shop does
I have been hoping for the worn cassette solution you describe, i.e., just the worn gears which for me have been the outside/smallest two. I have not found a supplier — maybe I am not looking in the right place?

Back