Allant+7 thoughts/review

Dallant

Region
USA
I’m an over 65 rider who wants to go further and do more touring. I’ve owned several Trek analog bikes and waited several years for their ebikes to become more mainstream with more shops selling/servicing them. Decided to pull the trigger on the Allant+7 as an under $4k ebike to see whether it made sense for me.
With 100 miles at 10-15 mile rides I’m very impressed. With a bum shoulder I am glad to have the front shock fork. The numerous hills I’ve now included in my normal ride are not the deal-breakers they were with my analog bike. This thing makes them so much easier and yet still keeps my heart rate up! So far I’ve had only one issue shifting while riding up the steepest hill and it cleared up immediately.
Love the overall stability and feel of the brakes/tires/frame while going down these hills at 35+ mph. Brakes are phenomenal! Tires are the 2.5” Schwalbe G-One tires and they’re great so far.
TBH, the CX motor is a bit louder than I like but the power more than makes up for it. Shifting is less smooth than I expected but I’m letting up on the pedals while shifting and that helps. I’ve added bar ends to help me sit a bit more upright at times. Added the basic Bontrager suspension seat tube, the Serfas e-gel seat and a Topeak under seat bag. Overall, I’m very pleased!

Last edited:
E40C4F15-54A7-447B-9BEB-A883C226899B.jpeg

So far the only problem is that the battery lock wouldn’t release so it was stuck on the bike. Fortunately my local Trek guy diagnosed and fixed.

Reading your posts and I do believe that you ARE the only person to have bought an Allant+ 7. I have my eye on an Allant+7s Stagger and am surprised that there are so few posts here about these bikes plus, there is no Facebook page for Allant+ 7 owners. Oh, well, it seems like a great choice and I will decide as soon as I get my refund for a non-Trek ebike I bought and returned. Keep posting as there is at least one person reading your posts!

Well, apparently they aren’t as popular as the 8s and 9s. I don’t regret buying mine and am pondering the +7 step thru for my wife. I don’t need the 28 mph speed and go plenty fast enough. FWIW, from what I can tell the +7 and +8 share the exact same frame.

I’m also interested in the +7 Stagger but don’t see posts with reviews or feedback from owners.

Just picked up the Allant +7S. Only have 16 miles on it so far. This is my 2nd ebike, my first was a home built kit on a Trek Mountain bike with a front wheel 1000 Watt motor and throttle, and the battery on rear rack, it's a fast bike but very heavy and clunky. It is a pleasure to ride the Allant which is well balanced and the wires and battery and controller all hidden. Also I ride mostly on the road and do some light trail riding. I live just below the Adirondack Mountains and an electric bike makes riding much more pleasurable for me as I can go further and see more things and still get some exercise in.

I look forward for some more riding.

The Allant also fits well on my Curt tow hitch bike rack.

Well, apparently they aren’t as popular as the 8s and 9s. I don’t regret buying mine and am pondering the +7 step thru for my wife. I don’t need the 28 mph speed and go plenty fast enough. FWIW, from what I can tell the +7 and +8 share the exact same frame.
Well, I don't need the 28MPH either but i do need the smaller frame. That is why I am looking at the Stagger. I could go with a Lowstep, but I don't care for that frame.

I don't see any pumps mounted on any of the ebike pictures posted. do you guys use green slime or similar tire sealant, or are the ebike tires pretty tough? Or do you have a small pump in your bag?

I haven’t gotten a kit together yet but do think the Schwalbe G-One tires are quite tough.

I keep a small pump as well as a C02 inflator in my under-seat bag. I wanted thorn resistant tubes installed but my local shop was out of them when I picked the bikes up. They put sealant into the regular tubes and sure enough on my second ride I picked up a thorn and lost some tire pressure but the sealant kicked in and when I pumped the tire back up it held pressure fine. I live in Arizona and just about every plant has thorns so the thorn resistant tubes are a necessity. I will have them installed when I take the bikes back in for the 90 day servicing.

I keep a small pump as well as a C02 inflator in my under-seat bag. I wanted thorn resistant tubes installed but my local shop was out of them when I picked the bikes up. They put sealant into the regular tubes and sure enough on my second ride I picked up a thorn and lost some tire pressure but the sealant kicked in and when I pumped the tire back up it held pressure fine. I live in Arizona and just about every plant has thorns so the thorn resistant tubes are a necessity. I will have them installed when I take the bikes back in for the 90 day servicing.
The worse I’ve come across is gravel or small nuts. No problem for the Schwalbe G-One.

So my 250 mile update is all is fantastic! Lovin the Allant+7 in almost every way. The only complaints are the CX motor is a bit louder than I’d like and the uphill shifting is a bit clunky, which I think is par for the course. It’s fine if I let up on the pedal while shifting so it’s an easy workaround. All else is quiet, powerful and works great.
The few changes weren’t required but have helped...Serfas E-Gel seat, base Bontrager suspension seat post, Profile Designs bar ends, BV EVA handlebar tape, Topeak under seat bag, and the soon-to-arrive OneUp composite pedals. Oh and I did move the headlight up to the handlebar.
The only real issue was when the battery lock wouldn’t release but my local lbs fixed/adjusted it in 2 hours.
So far I’d recommend the Allant+7 to anyone for general street/light trail work.😎👍
F27FCFB7-5648-4FEE-98F6-A1BCF1EE1A54.jpeg
045F77C2-2B93-4C3A-AF39-3769398F60E3.jpeg
0FFAC439-B232-4FC2-87DC-9F2C08EA46BB.jpeg

Just picked up the Allant +7S. Only have 16 miles on it so far. This is my 2nd ebike, my first was a home built kit on a Trek Mountain bike with a front wheel 1000 Watt motor and throttle, and the battery on rear rack, it's a fast bike but very heavy and clunky. It is a pleasure to ride the Allant which is well balanced and the wires and battery and controller all hidden. Also I ride mostly on the road and do some light trail riding. I live just below the Adirondack Mountains and an electric bike makes riding much more pleasurable for me as I can go further and see more things and still get some exercise in.

I look forward for some more riding.

The Allant also fits well on my Curt tow hitch bike rack.
Jealous.

New Allant+ 7s owner here. I've put in a little over 100 miles on it and can say that it is a truly awesome bike! I really love it and have no issues at all.

I agree with Dallant that my Performance Line Speed (Gen 4) is also slightly louder than some other motors I tried (for example, the Brose motor on the Specialized Vados I test rode were practically silent), but this is the only minor complaint I have and it really isn't a complaint....just a negligible distraction at times. The motor isn't really loud, but it is noticable, especially when in turbo at lower cadence pushing hard up hill. Most of the time at speed the wind noise and tire noise are louder than or about the same as the motor noise. However, despite this audible hum, I do love the Bosch Gen 4 motor! It has great power delivery and is smooth and really well integrated into the drive train. So much fun!

I also love that I can ride with the motor off and it feels like an normal unpowered ("analog" or "acoustic") bike. There is no noticable drag when riding unpowered. This gives the option of infinite range if desired or needed. Of course the motor/battery weight makes the hills more difficult than an analog bike, but on the flats I have ridden many miles unassisted and it is comfortable and fun (but not quite as fun as powering uphill without breaking a sweat!).

I was contemplating the 8s and the 7s, but since I was already at the upper reach of my budget I settled on the 7s. No regrets at all. The main differences between the 7s and the 8s are:

• 500 Wh battery(7s) vs 625 Wh battery(8s)
  • Mobie 25 suspension fork(7s) vs. AL rigid blade fork(8s)
  • Shimano Alivio 11-36t 9-spd(7s) vs Shimano Deore 11-42t 10-spd(8s)
  • Purion display(7s) vs Smartphone Hub display(8s)
  • Herrmans/AXA lights(7s) vs. Trek Lync lights(8s)
  • Racktime Lightit rear rack(7s)vs. Lowrider (panniers only) rear rack(8s)
  • Schwalbe G-One tires(7s) vs. Bontrager E6 tires(8s)
I was OK with the reduced battery capacity. I was concerned about whether I would like the gearing, but after test riding the 7s and now after >100 miles on it I am perfectly happy with the 9-speed gearing and shifting of the new Alivio system (Shimano technology trickle-down over the decades has resulted in excellent components even in the lower tiers). I don't miss that one lower gear and I am in a hilly area and fairly heavy at over 200lbs, but I also have a lot of riding and hill climbing experience...YMMV. I like the simple display of the Purion, but every now and then my inner nerd wishes it would output wattage (both motor and legs), cadence, and higher resolution battery details. But really most of the time I just like to ride my bike and the Purion displays everything I need for that purpose and it doesn't take up much real estate on my handlebars....simple, small, doesn't attract too much unwanted attention, and it just works....no complaints. The lights seem better than I was initially expecting, but it is summer in the northern hemisphere now and I haven't had to do much night riding. Unlike most people, I'm a fan of rigid forks as I tend to favor efficiency/speed/stability over comfort. But I'm happy with the Suntour Mobie 25 suspension fork. I like that I can choose to use lockout if I want a more rigid ride or unlock to soften out the suspension while traversing rougher areas.

Overall incredible bike! Very comfortable ride. Very fast and powerful when needed. Rides perfectly fine unpowered when desired. Would absolutely recommend to others. 5-stars!

So my 250 mile update is all is fantastic! Lovin the Allant+7 in almost every way. The only complaints are the CX motor is a bit louder than I’d like and the uphill shifting is a bit clunky, which I think is par for the course. It’s fine if I let up on the pedal while shifting so it’s an easy workaround. All else is quiet, powerful and works great.
The few changes weren’t required but have helped...Serfas E-Gel seat, base Bontrager suspension seat post, Profile Designs bar ends, BV EVA handlebar tape, Topeak under seat bag, and the soon-to-arrive OneUp composite pedals. Oh and I did move the headlight up to the handlebar.
The only real issue was when the battery lock wouldn’t release but my local lbs fixed/adjusted it in 2 hours.
So far I’d recommend the Allant+7 to anyone for general street/light trail work.😎👍
View attachment 58581View attachment 58582View attachment 58583
How do you like the nubby tires and suspension fork? Better on gravel and uneven pavement?

New Allant+ 7s owner here. I've put in a little over 100 miles on it and can say that it is a truly awesome bike! I really love it and have no issues at all.

I agree with Dallant that my Performance Line Speed (Gen 4) is also slightly louder than some other motors I tried (for example, the Brose motor on the Specialized Vados I test rode were practically silent), but this is the only minor complaint I have and it really isn't a complaint....just a negligible distraction at times. The motor isn't really loud, but it is noticable, especially when in turbo at lower cadence pushing hard up hill. Most of the time at speed the wind noise and tire noise are louder than or about the same as the motor noise. However, despite this audible hum, I do love the Bosch Gen 4 motor! It has great power delivery and is smooth and really well integrated into the drive train. So much fun!

I also love that I can ride with the motor off and it feels like an normal unpowered ("analog" or "acoustic") bike. There is no noticable drag when riding unpowered. This gives the option of infinite range if desired or needed. Of course the motor/battery weight makes the hills more difficult than an analog bike, but on the flats I have ridden many miles unassisted and it is comfortable and fun (but not quite as fun as powering uphill without breaking a sweat!).

I was contemplating the 8s and the 7s, but since I was already at the upper reach of my budget I settled on the 7s. No regrets at all. The main differences between the 7s and the 8s are:

• 500 Wh battery(7s) vs 625 Wh battery(8s)
  • Mobie 25 suspension fork(7s) vs. AL rigid blade fork(8s)
  • Shimano Alivio 11-36t 9-spd(7s) vs Shimano Deore 11-42t 10-spd(8s)
  • Purion display(7s) vs Smartphone Hub display(8s)
  • Herrmans/AXA lights(7s) vs. Trek Lync lights(8s)
  • Racktime Lightit rear rack(7s)vs. Lowrider (panniers only) rear rack(8s)
  • Schwalbe G-One tires(7s) vs. Bontrager E6 tires(8s)
I was OK with the reduced battery capacity. I was concerned about whether I would like the gearing, but after test riding the 7s and now after >100 miles on it I am perfectly happy with the 9-speed gearing and shifting of the new Alivio system (Shimano technology trickle-down over the decades has resulted in excellent components even in the lower tiers). I don't miss that one lower gear and I am in a hilly area and fairly heavy at over 200lbs, but I also have a lot of riding and hill climbing experience...YMMV. I like the simple display of the Purion, but every now and then my inner nerd wishes it would output wattage (both motor and legs), cadence, and higher resolution battery details. But really most of the time I just like to ride my bike and the Purion displays everything I need for that purpose and it doesn't take up much real estate on my handlebars....simple, small, doesn't attract too much unwanted attention, and it just works....no complaints. The lights seem better than I was initially expecting, but it is summer in the northern hemisphere now and I haven't had to do much night riding. Unlike most people, I'm a fan of rigid forks as I tend to favor efficiency/speed/stability over comfort. But I'm happy with the Suntour Mobie 25 suspension fork. I like that I can choose to use lockout if I want a more rigid ride or unlock to soften out the suspension while traversing rougher areas.

Overall incredible bike! Very comfortable ride. Very fast and powerful when needed. Rides perfectly fine unpowered when desired. Would absolutely recommend to others. 5-stars!
Thanks for your detailed review...much appreciated.

Back