Allant +7 / +7s rear drive hub (maybe +8 & +8s)

folmonty

Region
USA
City
Nor CA
This is the hub as stated on Treks web cite, Bontrager alloy, sealed bearing, 6-bolt, 135x5mm QR. Think it's the same for both 7 and 8's. Does anyone know how to get it off the axle? Not sure if the bearing need to be removed first or not. I've done this on my Trek Rail 7 but the Allant looks different. I've removed the lock ring and cone on the none drive side but doesn't get me anywhere. Does it slide off the same way as the Rail without taking anything off? First time doing it on the Rail had to let it sit overnight with penetrating oil to help. Any help would be appreciated! Thx

These pictures might help understand what I've trying to figure out. Taking off the cone nut, washer and lock nut didn't get me anywhere. Want to open up the free hub to check grease and see how it functions. All bearings are cartridge sealed type. Even though it's an eBike it still uses a 5mm skewer for an axle. The hub is super quiet which is really nice but in order to service it one needs to get inside.

Surely someone has done this?

Attachments

• image4.jpeg
    image4.jpeg
    53.3 KB · Views: 164
  • image3.jpeg
    image3.jpeg
    90 KB · Views: 169
  • image2.jpeg
    image2.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 171
These pictures might help understand what I've trying to figure out. Taking off the cone nut, washer and lock nut didn't get me anywhere. Want to open up the free hub to check grease and see how it functions. All bearings are cartridge sealed type. Even though it's an eBike it still uses a 5mm skewer for an axle. The hub is super quiet which is really nice but in order to service it one needs to get inside.

Surely someone has done this?
A good route to trouble, IMHO. Aint't broke? Don't try to fix it.
How old is it? Don't the more current versions have through axles?

A good route to trouble, IMHO. Aint't broke? Don't try to fix it.
How old is it? Don't the more current versions have through axles?
Only the Allant 9 series has a thru-axle. Good to know how to grease the drive components to make them last longer. Especially if you ride in rain etc.

Only the Allant 9 series has a thru-axle. Good to know how to grease the drive components to make them last longer. Especially if you ride in rain etc.
my Allant 8 has through axles. but the rear has the standard dropout with a through axle. the front is the normal through axle. no clue why they did it that way.

my Allant 8 has through axles. but the rear has the standard dropout with a through axle. the front is the normal through axle. no clue why they did it that way.
Only the front has the 15mm thru-axles the rear are the old style QR only using a 5 mm hex instead of an actual lever. At least it says both 7 & 8 are identical? Think it's because of the lack of space on the dropout. It's pretty tight in there when taking the wheel off.

Oh. Can you help me figure out what I have then? Here are the pics. It sure doesn't look like a QR to me - no lever.
PXL_20220424_154418016.jpg
PXL_20220424_154446993.jpg

Only the front has the 15mm thru-axles the rear are the old style QR only using a 5 mm hex instead of an actual lever. At least it says both 7 & 8 are identical? Think it's because of the lack of space on the dropout. It's pretty tight in there when taking the wheel off.
I forgot to look at the size when I took it off. but I thought it was larger.

Back