Adjuting the power level in each assist mode using Bosch NYON

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
Not every rider has the exact same preference for motor assistance and this necessitates a custom rider profile for maximum enjoyment.
With Bosch NYON, this much-needed feature is available. You can tune the power level in each assist mode and create custom riding modes precisely using the new NYON. Have a look..

Not every rider has the exact same preference for motor assistance and this necessitates a custom rider profile for maximum enjoyment.
With Bosch NYON, this much-needed feature is available. You can tune the power level in each assist mode and create custom riding modes precisely using the new NYON. Have a look..
Oh man, I really should have waited and gone for the Nyon upgrade rather than Kiox. Because this is the single feature I would most like to have on my Allant. I didn't realize how valuable this was until I had it with Specialized and Mission Control. So this won't be enabled in any way for Kiox users?

So this won't be enabled in any way for Kiox users?

If Bosch rolls out this feature for Kiox, I'm not fully certain but upgrading from Kiox to Nyon is not too difficult. Only the cradle needed to be changed, the wiring remains the same.
It's quite easy actually.

No. Bosch is a drive system manufacturer, not a bike manufacturer and they always used hard-wired displays to change assistance levels.
On the new Nyon, however, it can be done.
Just to make it clear, Ravi: Specialized offer either wired TCD-W or wireless TCD or no display at all, since all information is available from the Turbo Control Unit (TCU) wireless anyway, so Brose and Mahle motors are smartphone controlled. Giant/Yamaha - whatever I might say about them -- allow setting assistance levels from smartphone too. Not sure about Shimano.

I might consider a Bosch-driven e-bike for the future but learning Nyon is the only truly capable display from the manufacturer has been a big surprise for me.

Just to make it clear, Ravi: Specialized offer either wired TCD-W or wireless TCD or no display at all, since all information is available from the Turbo Control Unit (TCU) wireless anyway, so Brose and Mahle motors are smartphone controlled. Giant/Yamaha - whatever I might say about them -- allow setting assistance levels from smartphone too. Not sure about Shimano.

I might consider a Bosch-driven e-bike for the future but learning Nyon is the only truly capable display from the manufacturer has been a big surprise for me.
Truly capable in your mind. 🤔

You will be surprised that there are not many high-resolution, color displays in the E-bike market that look fantastic in the dark, daylight, and have built-in GPS navigation.
The new Nyon in that sense is amazing. I also wish this assistance tunability was available for Kiox display as well and that would make some of the mid-range bikes much more attractive.

If Bosch rolls out this feature for Kiox, I'm not fully certain but upgrading from Kiox to Nyon is not too difficult. Only the cradle needed to be changed, the wiring remains the same.
It's quite easy actually.
How about the smartphone hub to the new Nyon ?

I considered going with the smartphone hub, but there has been enough complaints about broken mounts that I decided to wait for the Nyon.
Understood but I was asking Ravi about how easy it is to switch from the smartphone hub to the new nyon. Hopefully it’s as easy as kiox to nyon.

I’m thinking of switching out my smartphone hub for the new nyon after reading this thread about what it can do with the custom rider profile by tuning the assist levels eco,tour,sport and turbo. That feature alone entices me to make the switch.

How about the smartphone hub to the new Nyon ?

Going from Smartphone hub to Nyon would be a $450+ upgrade.
The cradle is completely different. If you have the necessity, it is a worthy upgrade. You never need to carry another device or phone for navigation or accessing ride metrics.
The lock feature is a nice bonus.

Going from Smartphone hub to Nyon would be a $450+ upgrade.
The cradle is completely different. If you have the necessity, it is a worthy upgrade. You never need to carry another device or phone for navigation or accessing ride metrics.
The lock feature is a nice bonus.

What about the installation process. Is there new wiring through to the motor and battery or is it simply purchase, plug and play ?

The ability to set custom ride profiles is a feature that has been available for the original Nyon since it was introduced in 2014. This, along with its other robust capabilities, such as GPS Navigation, complete automated data recording and uploading, ability to monitor heart rate and custom ride & fitness screens is the reason I had the smart phone hub removed and an Intuvia mount installed on my new Trek Allant+9.9S so I could mount a Nyon. It is by far the most complete, reliable and capable ebike display I have experienced. Although the new Nyon is more compact and has a touch screen and the locking feature, I am not eager to replace my gen 2 Nyon (the one with 8gb of map storage). It has been absolutely reliable.

This tutorial shows how to set custom ride modes on the phone app. It can also be done on the Bosch ebike connect web site.

20200413_133720.jpg

Hi all,
Kiox, Smartphonehub, and "new" Nyon all use the same DU wiring harness and handlebar remote. Swapping between these (3) displays requires only the headunit and mount (for SPH this is combined) be swapped. The DU wiring harness and handlebar remote are not attached to each other, though you'll see in the pics that Kiox/SPH has them sitting together, and Nyon has then separated.

kiox.jpg

SPH.jpg

Nyon.jpg

Last edited:
Back