Arroyo C5 HMB - first impressions

lsnz

I've had my Arroyo C5 HMB over a week now and I thought I would post my initial impressions. To cut to the chase, I like it a lot - in my mind, it's well worth the US$4k I shelled out for it. I was looking for a low maintenance bike (belt drive, internal gears - and, therefore, mid-drive), upright position, and good finish (fenders, integrated lights, rack). The C5 has all of these.

There's only one thing I actively dislike - the bike has a built-in cafe lock (good!) but you can't take the key out unless it's locked (bad!). To be fair, Court pointed this out in his short review, linked below, so I was aware of this "feature." My garage gets hot (or cold, depending on the season) so I take my battery out after every ride. So I feel like I'm constantly having to lock the bike, remove the key, insert or remove the battery, then unlock the bike.

The C5 has the Intuvia 100 with the Bosch smart system. I have no interest in pairing my bike with my phone so I prefer the simplicity of the old Intuvia. But the smart system has some good features, even if I don't want to use them all.
- It shows the battery level as a percentage.
- The assist level is color coded on the LED controller, making it easy to see at glance which level you're in, and whether you've successfully switched levels.
- You can modify the assist levels using your phone.
- You can "lock" your bike with your phone. It's not literally locked, but the motor won't turn on unless your phone is close.
- You can set an alarm with your phone. If the bike is moved an alarm will sound that gets progressively louder. If your bike continues to move, it will send you a message. And you can track your bike's GPS location. The downside of this feature is that it requires a subscription.

The smart system also has Auto mode. As I understand it, Auto mode provides continuously variable assist level in an attempt to keep you at the same speed and cadence. I haven't used it a lot because, most of the time, it gives more assist than I want. It takes the place of Sport mode (level 3) and I use Auto mode when I would be in level 3 anyway. But there are times when I see it as a safety feature. For example, if there's a lot of traffic, clutter in the road, or something else I need to pay attention to, I set Auto mode so I don't have to think about switching gears or changing assist level. I have to admit, Auto mode is addictive and I can imagine using it a lot.

The bike rides well - I often turn off assist on flat stretches. Having only 5 gears takes some getting used to. I ride most of the time in gears 2-4 and assist levels 1 and 2. The gear ratio (263%) handles the few steep hills in my city without any problem. All in all, I'm happy with my C5 and see no reason I won't be, as long as it holds up.

Congrats! Gazelle make great ebikes!

There's only one thing I actively dislike - the bike has a built-in cafe lock (good!) but you can't take the key out unless it's locked (bad!). To be fair, Court pointed this out in his short review, linked below, so I was aware of this "feature." My garage gets hot (or cold, depending on the season) so I take my battery out after every ride. So I feel like I'm constantly having to lock the bike, remove the key, insert or remove the battery, then unlock the bike.
Somehow Gazelle decided to use this type of cafe lock by default. I replaced mine with variant, that doesn't lock key when got a chance.

For battery removal at home you can just use 2nd key and leave the one in lock alone :)

Congrats on the purchase! ava1ar is right. These are awesome bikes.

I completely agree about the lock. It's a half-baked solution. The key should just be removable, because then you wouldn't need to add a quick release keychain.

A lot of people really love the cafe lock, so I figured I would give it a try. The issue with the quick release is it hits the bike while riding and makes a constant clunking. I ended up adding some sticky velcro to the side of the cafe lock to dampen it.The nice thing about the cafe lock is you can add a chain, reducing the number of keys you need to carry.

So the cafe lock is a great idea, but I feel that implementation could be a LOT better. For example, an electronically actuated version that works via the Bosch smart system, preferably clamping the brake rotor. Or just, a removable key.

Auto mode really is nice. :) Are you using the ebike alarm? I thought it required the connect module, but the Flow app makes no mention of that.

Quick release keychain
AXA ULC XXL chain lock

Congrats! Gazelle make great ebikes!

Somehow Gazelle decided to use this type of cafe lock by default. I replaced mine with variant, that doesn't lock key when got a chance.

For battery removal at home you can just use 2nd key and leave the one in lock alone :)
Thanks. I hadn't thought about leaving the 2nd key in the garage where I can get to it easily. I had thought about carrying it with me but I've always been of the mind that the 2nd key is sacrosanct and should be stored away in a secret location that I can hopefully remember if I ever need it.

Congrats on the purchase! ava1ar is right. These are awesome bikes.

I completely agree about the lock. It's a half-baked solution. The key should just be removable, because then you wouldn't need to add a quick release keychain.

A lot of people really love the cafe lock, so I figured I would give it a try. The issue with the quick release is it hits the bike while riding and makes a constant clunking. I ended up adding some sticky velcro to the side of the cafe lock to dampen it.The nice thing about the cafe lock is you can add a chain, reducing the number of keys you need to carry.

So the cafe lock is a great idea, but I feel that implementation could be a LOT better. For example, an electronically actuated version that works via the Bosch smart system, preferably clamping the brake rotor. Or just, a removable key.

Auto mode really is nice. :) Are you using the ebike alarm? I thought it required the connect module, but the Flow app makes no mention of that.

Quick release keychain
AXA ULC XXL chain lock
Thanks. No, I'm not using the alarm. I think it does require the connect module but I quit reading when I saw that it requires a subscription. Bike theft isn't a huge problem in my mid-sized city (famous last words, I know). Anyway, most of the time I can either park the bike in my office or somewhere I can keep an eye on it. And, aside from the built-in cafe lock, I've invested in some pretty good locks that should give me a minute or so to get to it if I have to.

Back