A serendipitous meeting

sammcneill

Region
New Zealand
Hi guys,

I’m currently doing a 5 day, 550km bikepacking adventure on a non-eBike.

However, on day 2 I crossed a river ford and paused at the rise just beyond the exit, and saw two e-bikes coming towards me.

One was an R&M Load & the other a late
Model Delite.

I stopped and chatted, warning the rider of the Load he might bottom out in the stony river crossing. Turns out the girl on the Delite worked for R&M and had (or still was) the NZ rep for R&M. One of the dealers had “loaned” them the two bikes to see if they could ride the Tour Aotearoa on them.

I chatted for about 20mins and then watched as they both successfully powered through the river crossing.

I did take a photo of their bikes (the Load was definitely well loaded!!) but won’t share as didn’t have their permission to post it publicly.

It’s what I love about riding my bike - who will I bump into?

I did 115km with 984m elevation and my legs are feeling tired at the camp site but the Rohloff & Beltdrive killed it as you’d expect!

4774AF3E-E25A-47A7-8A7E-EDBAB72E11E2.jpeg

F9B44B77-EAB2-4ED9-B21A-AFD378B1A290.jpeg

992C6B03-E319-4D46-9763-23B40AD6DA84.jpeg

Good luck with that Sam.

May be worth mentioning that the Tour Aotearoa you referred to covers about 3,000 km spanning the length of the two main islands of Aotearoa/New Zealand.

Cheers

Good luck with that Sam.

May be worth mentioning that the Tour Aotearoa you referred to covers about 3,000 km spanning the length of the two main islands of Aotearoa/New Zealand.

Cheers
Thanks mate - yep it’s a big ride.
I’m just doing six days of it before Christmas, good fun but tough (100km+ and 1000m+ elevation )… one more day to go

If anyone interested in the rest of the photos / route / writeup from my bikepacking adventure they're here:

Could definitely do a lot of this on my SuperCharger 2 I reckon, just would be a bit more range dependent.

If anyone interested in the rest of the photos / route / writeup from my bikepacking adventure they're here:

Could definitely do a lot of this on my SuperCharger 2 I reckon, just would be a bit more range dependent.
Thanks for sharing your lovely story and experience! I not only enjoyed it but have started dreaming about doing something similar - albeit with an e-bike.

Back