A Heavy Duty Carrier/Rack?

Stefan Mikes

Region
Europe
City
Mazovia, Poland
Just has happened. The carrier in my Lovelec Diadem (a regular touring e-bike) just broke. Perhaps Lovelec will send me a replacement carrier under the warranty or I'll have to pay something for that. Yet, that ordinary carrier made of thin aluminium tubes broke not because of any overweight of my panniers but due to vibration.

Please recommend a carrier with these specifications:
  1. Max load 45 kg (100 lbs) -- of the load rating is somewhat less, I may accept that;
  2. Easy to install on the bike - critical;
  3. The best if the seat-post were not used for mounting the carrier;
  4. Compatible with Ortlieb QL2.1 (most of carriers are);
  5. Readily available, for instance on Amazon.
Please help. I cannot ride that e-bike without a carrier as I carry a spare battery as the minimum.
P.S. Here's how the bike was used until recently.

1585679879686.png

Last edited:
I own a few racks from Topeak and Ibera but nothing that can hold 100 lbs. Most are designed to hold up to 55 lbs.

The only bike I can comfortably carry 100+ lbs in the rear is Radwagon cargo bike. My other bikes just tow a trailer for stuff over 100 lbs.

You should consider this Burley Coho XC which carries up to 70 lbs. They also sell a separate pannier rack so you can attach the Ortliebs in the rear.

Guys, if the clamp could take a small bottom part of the seatpost so the rear light would still fit on the seatpost, that would be fine.

It seems my thread was irrelevant. Amazon stopped selling to my region... Guess why.
If you have good suggestions, I might find sellers locally.

Other than Old Man Mountain, Tubus makes their racks from chromoly, stainless steel, or titanium. Their heavy duty racks are officially rated at 26 kg. to prevent them being approved for use with child carriers, but have been tested with 40 kg. loads. They also come with a 30 year guarantee against breakage,

I fitted Surly Nice rear racks for both the front and the rear on my Specialized Fatboy, Stefan. These racks are chromoly steel and can carry weigh up to 80 pounds. These are NOT thru-axle compatible racks. Instead, they are secured to the bike frame's eyelets.

Originally, I installed the rear rack using the upper threaded inserts fitted to the downtubes, but I thought the rack was up too high. I wanted to get the weight down lower. To do this, I used a Problem Solvers Seat Post Clamp (Link: https://problemsolversbike.com/products/cockpit/seatpost_clamp) that features threaded bosses to accept the rack stays. Though my rack is used on a fatbike, the rack mounting stays are easily adjusted to fit about any bike frame.

I googled Ebay Poland and they show Surly Nice racks in the UK and I believe, Germany.

The first photo shows the Surly Nice mounted on the seat stay threaded bosses. Picture two shows the rack stays mounted on the seat post clamp.

Attachments

• 100_1833.jpg
    100_1833.jpg
    822 KB · Views: 303
  • 100_1851.jpg
    100_1851.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 300
Thank you very much for your contribution, friends! I've read your information too late. Pressed by the need, I bought the Pletscher Athlete rear rack, and my brother mounted it for me. Let me explain the background story first:

The manufacturer of the bike, Lovelec, had used a weird custom rear rack attached with 4 bolts to the top of seat-stays. No standard rack could be mounted without drilling and threading additional holes in the seat-stays. The Pletscher Quick-Rack Athlete mounts to the frame's eyelets and to the seat-post. The rack is rated for 25 kg, that will do, at least for the time being.

Not without some surprises. Since the eyelets were useless in the original design, those had not been threaded at all! My brother did whatever was necessary to achieve even more stable connection to my bike and to make sure my Ortlieb QL 2.1 panniers could be attached without any problem.

1586147125204.png

The red arrows show the original threaded connection points. It was a very bad design; the original rack broke from fatigue at one of the original bolts.

Thank you for your input again!

Back