A continuing journey with our 2019 Homage GX Rohloffs

ChrisHudson

Hope this is okay with everyone. I'm going to post links to our blog site and linked Instagram account.

We're blogging regularly (or at least making a big effort to) and trying to pay it forward with all the threads and conversations we've seen and been part of on this forum.

Love to hear feedback either here or on the blog site. Plus if anyone is considering buying a Homage, please ask questions and we'll do out best to answer them.

Here's a post about the various parts of the bike with lots of photos.

150Km+
Now completed over 150km after the first couple of weeks. Going away on the bikes next weekend so will clock up a few more, plus the bikes will get a test along with their two humans up a steep climb - Mt Macedon, just outside Melbourne. Not really a mountain, but we're looking forward to seeing how much we don't have to rely on the assist. The ride down will be good. Currently have a max. speed on the Intuvia of 52.8Km/h. Surprisingly stable at that speed too. Not sure going faster is advisable on public roads though.

One gripe is the saddle. It's not great in hot weather if you catch my drift. It's comfy enough, but didn't feel great after getting off part way through a hot days's ride in 32 degrees C (almost 90 F) of heat. Might experiment with an older saddle with the cut-out down the middle.

Noises
The only other thing we've noticed is a bit of 'clicking' as we apply pressure to the pedals - that's our best guess anyway. Not all the time and not consistent. My guess is it's just the various parts bedding in. Anyone else had that issue?

Hi, our homage is on order (bought one to share with the wife).

I have one question which I'm dying to find the answer to:
On the smallest framesize; what is the measurement from the pedal to the saddle in the lowest position?
My wife is on the smaller size, and looking at the specs on the riese-muller site, She would just barely NOT fit.

I could see the saddle going lower if the lock was removed?
Is there any room to maybe shorten the seattube a bit more?

Hi, our homage is on order (bought one to share with the wife).

I have one question which I'm dying to find the answer to:
On the smallest framesize; what is the measurement from the pedal to the saddle in the lowest position?
My wife is on the smaller size, and looking at the specs on the riese-muller site, She would just barely NOT fit.

I could see the saddle going lower if the lock was removed?
Is there any room to maybe shorten the seattube a bit more?

I'll measure that tonight for you and let you know. I'm guessing your essentially looking for the inside leg measurement right?

We both went for the 49 frame size (the smallest) - I'm 1.7m and my partner is 1.65m which is at the lower threshold of that frame size and she's fine with it. Can touch the ground easily when she stops and her leg is almost fully extended when the pedal is in the down position - which is general guide as to a good fit.

Great, thanks!

I'm 1.80m, while my wife is only 1.58m.
In your photo of the bike leaned up to the fence (cover photo), it would seem to me that the saddle woult touch the lock before it was at it's lowest point. Is this correct?
I can also see some room to modify the frame and get the seatpost clamp a couple of cm's lower, until it hits the rear rack support. any idea how much cm's we could gain there?

At the lowest point the saddle does not hit the lock. I'd be disappointed if it did seeing as the bike costs so much. ;)

In that picture the post is only just above it's minimum height. After lowering it to its lowest point the floor to saddle top is 915mm (36") and pedal top to saddle top is 770mm (30.5"). I'm guessing you could cut of part of the tube off but no more than an inch otherwise it would hit the lock.

But because it's a step-through it may not be as much of a problem.

I've attached a picture of the saddle at its lowest point.

1551424111102.png

Chris, this is the lowest the saddle will fysically go?
I would've guessed the seatpost could go down further into the seattube.
Maybe it's hitting the stop at the bottom of the seattube?
In that case, shortening the seatpost could win me some much needed clearance.

Lock can always be relocated, so not too worried about that hitting.

Her inside leg measurement is 73cm.
You measured the pedal to saddle at 77cm, but I can imagine the saddle could be dropped another 4 cm?
By that I mean: is the exposed part of the seatpost 4 cm? I sure hope so...

The post won't go any lower than in the photo. It hits something inside the down tube, so seatpost could be cut I guess but 4cm is likely to hit the lock - which can always be removed.

Worth keeping in mind that because of the rear suspension, the bike will dip down when you get on it. How much depends on the setting of the shock.

Hope this is okay with everyone. I'm going to post links to our blog site and linked Instagram account.

We're blogging regularly (or at least making a big effort to) and trying to pay it forward with all the threads and conversations we've seen and been part of on this forum.

Love to hear feedback either here or on the blog site. Plus if anyone is considering buying a Homage, please ask questions and we'll do out best to answer them.

Here's a post about the various parts of the bike with lots of photos.

Thank you for taking the time to share your excitement and comments on your two Homage bikes. I am patiently (yeah sure!) waiting on the arrival of a Homage GX Rohloff HS due end of June here in New Zealand. It has been great to read of your (and others) comments on their actual experiences with the bikes. They sure look the part and by the sounds of it they perform the part too.

Thank you for taking the time to share your excitement and comments on your two Homage bikes. I am patiently (yeah sure!) waiting on the arrival of a Homage GX Rohloff HS due end of June here in New Zealand. It has been great to read of your (and others) comments on their actual experiences with the bikes. They sure look the part and by the sounds of it they perform the part too.

You'll love them and that wait... main that's stressy! We were like kids at Xmas and had to be mindful of not keep asking the dealer when they were going to arrive.

We have a couple of more posts on our blog here: https://www.ebikesandbrews.com/.

The posts focus on recent trips but we've included some real world thoughts on how the bikes are riding and behaving. We definitely don't get out as much as we'd like what with work and now, the winter approaching.

Quick overview is that we couldn't be happier... some more thoughts from our perspective:

UPSIDE
  • Super comfy ride
  • Go anywhere (except the more extreme MTB tracks)
  • Battery range is excellent
  • Super stable even at high speed
  • eRohloff is excellent - so easy to use
  • The lights... they are super bright (oh, and the brake lights)

DOWNSIDE
  • Heavy and tricky to manoeuvre in small places
  • Nervousness about leaving them 'unattended'
  • The expense is something we dwell on

I'll aim to post some more detailed thoughts about the bikes themselves soon - as we fast approach 1000km.

Your comments "UPSIDE" and "DOWNSIDE" are pretty much what I had asumed they would be for me too. re your nervousness at leaving them "unattended" I agree. i plan to get a substantial chain and lock for when I leave it outside the gym for an hour. Something more substantial and offputting to anyone loitering around the area than the alarm lock R&M provide.

Your comments "UPSIDE" and "DOWNSIDE" are pretty much what I had asumed they would be for me too. re your nervousness at leaving them "unattended" I agree. i plan to get a substantial chain and lock for when I leave it outside the gym for an hour. Something more substantial and offputting to anyone loitering around the area than the alarm lock R&M provide.

Just realised you’re getting the HS version. Wow! Don’t have that option here in Melbourne. It’ll be really interesting to see how the battery range is affected. 45km/h is somewhat scary. Managed to get up to 59km/h downhill recently and even though I had plenty of road left, I put the brakes on.

Are you going for the dual battery option?

Yes, I have ordered the dual battery option. I am looking forward to being able to travel at the normal suburban traffic speed which some suggest is safer than just pootling along at the side of the road. :)

Back