A BBSHD Killer? Here comes the CYC Photon

The word that comes to mind is techie? A lot of guys like playing on the leading edge. In a different hobby (radio control), though not so much recently, I spent many many years playing on the leading edge, flying the latest and greatest new stuff available. In that role, practicality is not always a big factor... -Al

Lol. Wet dream guy ran into a problem installing the Photon to a full suspension frame he bought specifically for this motor. I don't get the whole need to put these on full suspension bikes personally as I am a commuter and I also don't get why this guy felt the need to either being he lives in New York City.
build on the bleeding edge and expect blood. FFS I had many calls and emails over the years of support from kit buyers that thought any bike was like every other bike. No attention to frame details and then frustrated attacks about the motor kit. Bikes aren’t universal!

Watched it. Obviously the guy can’t parse a technical drawing of the Photon. Jeez…
Another carbon frame too. YAWN!!

Last edited:
Lol. Wet dream guy ran into a problem installing the Photon to a full suspension frame he bought specifically for this motor. I don't get the whole need to put these on full suspension bikes personally as I am a commuter and I also don't get why this guy felt the need to either being he lives in New York City.
Turns out he was on the receiving end of this wet dream 🤣

Jeez.... just another not aware enough to realize that they shouldn't bother posting videos.
He's winded on a hill that the BBSO2B would easily climb in lower PAS or fly up in higher. And I'm sure he could read his cadence or any other info while in motion on that minimalist display.
The drop at the end was the only part with any value and even that was minimalist_ly funny.
Yeah that is concerning...Perhaps he doesn't know how to use gears correctly? Let's hope, because I was looking forward to this for torque sensing workouts, but when I don't want exercise I expect to fly up hills..like my BBSHD allows!

Golden Motors, a long-time kit seller in Canada (IIRC they're in Mississauga), posted an installation/test ride video recently:

So tempted to give this a whirl with a donor bike I have sitting in a garage to replace my current grocery-getter with something more flexible (and not 4" fat tires), but wary about being an early adopter.

Golden Motors, a long-time kit seller in Canada (IIRC they're in Mississauga), posted an installation/test ride video recently:

So tempted to give this a whirl with a donor bike I have sitting in a garage to replace my current grocery-getter with something more flexible (and not 4" fat tires), but wary about being an early adopter.
Forgive them for they know not what they do... smh... 🙃

I too am interested but at this time it makes little sense for me to do anything before the spring time...
So I think I'll sit back and let others find any potential bugs and hopefully we can get a few reviews worth watching by then.

No idea what that guy was thinking with the FS frame. You don't need technical drawings or schematics to immediately recognize it won't work. For all the same reasons a BBSHD wouldn't work. sheesh.

On the flip side of that, knowing what I know now a few years down the e-road, if I was building a commuter ebike for a normal bike (not cargo) from scratch I'd absolutely do FS frames. Maybe its just old age helping me decide, but the two FS bikes I have - one a recent build that has been getting a fair bit of riding done on it - are head-and-shoulders more comfortable rides at speed over uneven pavement.

I like the torque sensor, light weight, and quiet operation

Its probably running a nylon gear to achieve that quietness ?

Rated up to 1000w which would be enough for me.

However the 40 amp controller with 52V battery would deliver up to 2000w ?

Not sure if this info was already on their website or just appeared today

* DEFAULT SET AT 1200W PEAK POWER.​

ABLE TO SET UP TO 2000W PEAK POWER IN UNRESTRICTED MODE VIA THE APP​

https://www.cycmotor.com/photon
Interesting... but there goes reliability.
Imo... Too much power for bicycle hardware as well.

A $100 off.. got this via email
Still a bit pricey and at that dollar amount it should include the standard options like brake sensors.
And no mid 40's T chain ring option?
Screenshot_20230113-075757_Gmail.jpg

Judging by Google Play reviews... the app is a total terd.
And for me personalized settings is one of it's biggest draws.

Last edited:
1 review in iOS version.

Attachments

• E5E71AD9-FAC6-470A-AAC0-76C9B286C2AA.jpeg
    E5E71AD9-FAC6-470A-AAC0-76C9B286C2AA.jpeg
    253 KB · Views: 160
  • C023503F-6EE8-499F-89A6-F20003F81E4E.jpeg
    C023503F-6EE8-499F-89A6-F20003F81E4E.jpeg
    346.7 KB · Views: 159
FWIW, look back to 2014 and the turd BBSxx was. BBSHD’s have twisted a few full suspension chain stays.
No defense intended. But I’m still waiting for more users.
Learning from other's mistakes would be a big positive, but using the two wrongs somehow makes a right excuse is a bit pathetic in my opinion.
Perhaps spend a little less effort on hype and a little more on execution... just my two cent.
That said I'm still interested but I'm not feeling like a beta tester with what's known to date.

Learning from other's mistakes would be a big positive, but using the two wrongs somehow makes a right excuse is a bit pathetic in my opinion.
Perhaps spend a little less effort on hype and a little more on execution... just my two cent.
That said I'm still interested but I'm not feeling like a beta tester with what's known to date.
Yeah I should STFU. I’m losing interest in mid drives period. The simplicity of GD hubs is winning in my garage. That said a 2014 350W BBS01 still gives weekly service. I wonder will that little motor ever be an competitor for the beastly BBSHD.

Yeah I should STFU. I’m losing interest in mid drives period. The simplicity of GD hubs is winning in my garage. That said a 2014 350W BBS01 still gives weekly service. I wonder will that little motor ever be an competitor for the beastly BBSHD.
Na... a Santo homily is always welcome!
I don't know if it'll be a BBSHD KILLER... but I'd be more than happy with a BBS02B upgrade. And not talking power.

A GREAT MOTOR! IMO the BBSxx series will be hard to beat. It took years for a really good parts stream to develop. I'm not hopeful that CYC can offer the sustainability of the BBSxx series. I grumble but if I didn't have so many motors I add a BBSHD or BBS02B back into the fold. I still have an unused BBS01B 500W...

Interesting... but there goes reliability.
Imo... Too much power for bicycle hardware as well.

A $100 off.. got this via email
Still a bit pricey and at that dollar amount it should include the standard options like brake sensors.
And no mid 40's T chain ring option?
View attachment 144526

Judging by Google Play reviews... the app is a total terd.
And for me personalized settings is one of it's biggest draws.
One question is does it have thermal rollback ?

Back