Standover height on Yamaha crosscore RC

Soundwatts

Region
USA
Just went for the crosscore RC last week. with the 1200 dollar rebate and free extra battery it was a nobrainer. Being caught up in the fitting process the literature and fitting guide pointed me at a medium frame size. I am 5’ 10” and the ride seemed comfortable when I test drove it. I also love the tech and the auto mode works amazingly well (wish there was a way to fine tune that through firmware). My concern is that I never really checked the standover height at the store and I have short legs and a long torso. My inseam is 30” with shoes on and the bike dimensions are 32” standover height. I noticed when I had an emergency stop situation and my crotch came down on the top bar and ouch. To compound the situation I read the owners manual and it said not to even ride a bike that doesn’t fit around the corner and t return it and call for 2“ of clearance. Even the small frame would not give me 2“. Reached out to the store and they pretty much said get used to riding a larger frame and tilt the bike to the side when I stop. has anyone experienced this and what is your advise.

The only practical thing I can think of is to replace the suspension fork with a solid fork (not one suspension corrected). That should drop the front of the bike a couple inches and shave a few pounds off of the weight, more if you go carbon and a carbon fork might make up some for the loss of suspension. You'd also lose some stack which can be made up for with a stem riser or adjustable angle stem. Won't entirely compensate but flattening the incline of the top tube it might make a substantial difference.

1725460123188.png

It looks like an excellent bike overall. With the rebate did you pay $1800? With an extra battery that sounds like a smoking deal, making the price comparable to much cheaper hub drive bikes.

Maybe it's a typo but the Yamaha web site indicates $1800 rebate which would make the price $1200, which is unbelievable given the spare battery offer.
  • $1,800 customer cash on CrossCore RC

To compound the situation I read the owners manual and it said not to even ride a bike that doesn’t fit around the corner and t return it and call for 2“ of clearance. Even the small frame would not give me 2“. Reached out to the store and they pretty much said get used to riding a larger frame and tilt the bike to the side when I stop.
Bummer. I'd go with the manual over the shop on this one. The shop should have picked up this safety issue and at least warned you about it before you even took the bike for a test.

Can you still return it?

Maybe it's a typo but the Yamaha web site indicates $1800 rebate which would make the price $1200, which is unbelievable given the spare battery offer.
  • $1,800 customer cash on CrossCore RC
Looks like they increased the rebate. My bike shop confirmed. And extra battery.

I'm curious about a couple things with your bike. Does it have functioning walk assist? I don't see that mentioned on the Yamaha web site and a review showed the display with a walk assist button but didn't say if it was functional or not. My Yamaha powered bike with the X display/control has a walk assist button but the manufacturer had it disabled. Also does your bike have a single chainring or double? The Yamaha description lists a Sora front derailleur but then only lists one chainring tooth count and 9 speed drivetrain.

I'm curious about a couple things with your bike. Does it have functioning walk assist? I don't see that mentioned on the Yamaha web site and a review showed the display with a walk assist button but didn't say if it was functional or not. My Yamaha powered bike with the X display/control has a walk assist button but the manufacturer had it disabled. Also does your bike have a single chainring or double? The Yamaha description lists a Sora front derailleur but then only lists one chainring tooth count and 9 speed drivetrain.
Walk assist works well. And single chainring

The only practical thing I can think of is to replace the suspension fork with a solid fork (not one suspension corrected). That should drop the front of the bike a couple inches and shave a few pounds off of the weight, more if you go carbon and a carbon fork might make up some for the loss of suspension. You'd also lose some stack which can be made up for with a stem riser or adjustable angle stem. Won't entirely compensate but flattening the incline of the top tube it might make a substantial difference.

View attachment 181738

It looks like an excellent bike overall. With the rebate did you pay $1800? With an extra battery that sounds like a smoking deal, making the price comparable to much cheaper hub drive bikes.
The rebate is now 1800 with an extra battery. So the bike is 1200 now and I think the extra battery is worth around the same. So it’s almost like getting a free bike

View attachment 181738

Long story short. Going to keep the bike ride or for a while and then probably make the mod that you suggested. At 1200 I picked one up for my daughter as well and the store I went to gave me a 600 dollar store credit as Yamaha wouldn’t give me the extra rebate because of the date I registered the bike. I think my dealer giving me the credit is really nice of them. I will use the money towards the mod once I get used to the bike.

Your bike looks like a keeper at a fantastic price, especially with the extra battery. Glad that the dealership came through for you. The suspension fork isn't anything special, replacing it with a rigid fork will probably be an improvement. I already have everything that I need otherwise I'd buy a CrossCore too.

Last edited:
Long story short. Going to keep the bike ride or for a while and then probably make the mod that you suggested. At 1200 I picked one up for my daughter as well and the store I went to gave me a 600 dollar store credit as Yamaha wouldn’t give me the extra rebate because of the date I registered the bike. I think my dealer giving me the credit is really nice of them. I will use the money towards the mod once I get used to the bike.
I am no expert on this bike or any bike but if you look at the Wabash RT(no suspension) it has a similar stand over height (818 mm) for medium. Small is 781 mm I have a Specialized Creo medium with a standover height of 759 mm and I feel comfortable and safe on this bike. I also have a Haibike which I ran into similar concerns. I forgot what the standover height was but medium was too high so I settled for a small where the standover height was still too high. When stopped and one shoe unmounted I have to slant the bike to reduce the stand over height. The problem with the Haibike with a small frame was the shorter reach. I had to replace the handlebar stem. I too am looking at the Yamaha bikes, more specifically the Wabash RT. If I get one, it will be the small frame. I am 5 ft. 9 in.

I only got 500 I. Rebate and 500 in discount. I thought $2000 was a steal. I have no idea what to do with the second battery however. The range is massive. The bike is just brilliant. I added tubeless. Love it.

I am no expert on this bike or any bike but if you look at the Wabash RT(no suspension) it has a similar stand over height (818 mm) for medium. Small is 781 mm I have a Specialized Creo medium with a standover height of 759 mm and I feel comfortable and safe on this bike. I also have a Haibike which I ran into similar concerns. I forgot what the standover height was but medium was too high so I settled for a small where the standover height was still too high. When stopped and one shoe unmounted I have to slant the bike to reduce the stand over height. The problem with the Haibike with a small frame was the shorter reach. I had to replace the handlebar stem. I too am looking at the Yamaha bikes, more specifically the Wabash RT. If I get one, it will be the small frame. I am 5 ft. 9 in.
Just tried the wabash small Interesting the stand over is good and so is the reach. Everyone’s body is so different. The main thing is it has a dropper seat post that also has a shock in it. So I think it’s looks like I add that to my Yamaha collection. The cross core I have could use the dropper post too but it’s 400 dollars. The store also adjusted the bars seat and put on bigger pedals now the crosscore is 100 times more comfortable. So looks like we will be 3 deep into the Yamaha family. Hope the new ones aren’t incredible and give buyer’s remorse

Update. went back to the bikestore and the owner who is a fitting expert spent an hour with me looking at my stance while pedaling on a trainer. Moved my seat position reoriented the grips and instrumentation and noticed that I needed a wider pedal platform. He is a genius when it comes to fit and even has a laser based fitting machine which he charges 300 for to do a detailed fit.. I was having some knee pain on hills which I attributed to just getting back into the sport. the pain is completely gone and now I’m on mt toes when stopping in a seated position, thus when I stop I lean the bike slightly and the standover is not a problem any more. He was also thinking a dropper seat to dismount but doesn’t think I will need it. I also had a topeak rack put on and now it’s hard to swing my little legs around the back of the bike. They showed me a teqnique where I lay the bike on the ground and just pull it up as I stand over it, so don’t need a step through.

Update. went back to the bikestore and the owner who is a fitting expert spent an hour with me looking at my stance while pedaling on a trainer. Moved my seat position reoriented the grips and instrumentation and noticed that I needed a wider pedal platform. He is a genius when it comes to fit and even has a laser based fitting machine which he charges 300 for to do a detailed fit.. I was having some knee pain on hills which I attributed to just getting back into the sport. the pain is completely gone and now I’m on mt toes when stopping in a seated position, thus when I stop I lean the bike slightly and the standover is not a problem any more. He was also thinking a dropper seat to dismount but doesn’t think I will need it. I also had a topeak rack put on and now it’s hard to swing my little legs around the back of the bike. They showed me a teqnique where I lay the bike on the ground and just pull it up as I stand over it, so don’t need a step through.
Quick release seat post and dismounts are easy

Back