Got pulled over by cop.

Tom@WashDC

Region
USA
City
Loudoun County, VA.
A Deputy Sherrif actually. I was cruising my usual route, an eight mile round-trip run of paved tails, running parallel to a 2X2, 4 lane parkway with a wide grassy median strip. The trails and surrounding areas are beautifully manicured, lined with landscaped trees, rock walls, shrubs, flowers, and rolling grassy banks and hills.

I was riding on the right side of the pathway, in the direction of traffic. As I approached the intersection, I dropped my Rohloff a few clicks down to a lower gear and took off through the intersection. My Bafang Ultra kicked into high power in response to my exertions on the pedals. I glanced at my helmet mirror, saw that the lane to my left was clear, and I darted off the trail, entering the road at a 45-degree attack angle at increasing speed. I popped on, and then off, the grassy median, shot into the opposite lane of traffic, which was clear for a hundred yards or so. I was headed down the street in the wrong direction. As first cars began to approach in the distance, I angled left and popped off the road, onto the paved trail to my left,

I slalomed in and out of a long line of trees, banking up and down some steep hills like I was surfing the big ones at Waimea Bay. About two minutes past the intersection, all the sudden, to my right, a silver SUV with flashing red and blues shot up onto the median strip, coming up behind me. What appeared to be an officer of the law leaped out of the SUV and started running across the road, pointing, and yelling at me. I cound't hear him as I was jamming to Twighligt Zone by Golden Earing in my Sena stereo helemt. I was curious to find out what he wanted, what his problem was, so I stopped out of curiosity. He came over to me and screamed, "you wanna tell me what the hell that was back there?" I said "What?". He said "shooting across two lanes of traffic, jumping the median, and driving in the opposite direction of traffic! That's reckless driving!"

I said "Oh that". He said "Yeah, that!"

Apparently he was many cars back at the first intersection, and was slowly stalking me as I did my acrobatics down the parkway on the adjacent trail!

He screamed "I've never seen anything like that from a bike during my 22 years of traffic enforcement! Give me one good reason why I shouldn’t write you up for reckless driving!"

5/5/2024 updated

He was mad hot. In a calm and measured voice, I said: “Well, I’ve been doing this run for four years since I got my bike during the pandemic. Each day, I’ve gained more strength, and developed new skills incrementally. Each day I tend to push the limits just a bit more, developing new abilities daily. What you saw back there from your point of view seemed reckless. I understand that. For me, it was just part of my daily routine”.

He appeared stunned at the frankness of my explanation. He asked me how old I was, and expressed surprise that I was 66.

He told me he was head of traffic control in this district for the last 12 years. The outer edge of his district encompassed the first mile of my daily run. He said he’d never had a fatality on his watch for the last 12 years and wanted to keep it that way. He was waving his hands, raising his voice, and shaking his head back and forth.

In a measured tone, I told hm that he was right! That I knew I was required to act like a motor vehicle while on the road, and my crossing lanes, and driving in the opposite direction of traffic was dangerous behavior. I apologized to him for my riding style and told him that this was a good “wake up call”. I said that with that type of riding, “time was against me, and sooner or later I would probably get hit by car”. I told him I respected his position, and that I would play by the rules in his bailiwick. That he was “Boss”.

He said, “how do I know you are telling the truth?”. I raised my right hand, three fingers, and said “Scouts Honor”. He shook his head, and said, “do you know how many people have broken their promises to me?” I felt sad for him at that moment. He had a look of sadness and defeat on his face. I’m sure in his position, it’s easy to develop a high degree of cynicism towards human behavior. I replied, “I’m sorry people don’t keep their word with you, it must suck, but I won’t let you down. I appreciate the fact that you have been so kind and reasonable to me”, all the while, still holding my right hand high. He shook his head and departed.

It was a good interaction. He started out like a volcano. In the end, his demeanor mollified, and I assured him that the encounter would result in a change to my riding style in his territory. The Law Man and the Outlaw came to an understanding.

Truth is, it just kills me now not to shoot across that beautifully manicured parkway when there is no traffic anywhere in sight.

But Scouts Honor, an Oath to a Code taken in youth when my ideals were at their zenith, I shall not break it.

On My Honor — ScouterLife.jpg

Last edited:
Not at all illegal here.
I've had blue lights flash at me, I have a habit of going through red lights on my mile long street riding on my morning commute before I get to designated bike paths.
Riding on urban settings you must obey traffic rules.
There are countless sur Ron type ebikes doing wheel stands hot dogging on public roads, they asking to get arrested.
Not sure if cops have the right to confiscate bike but definitely will affect your driving record on your license if citation is issued.

Original post, updated

He was mad hot. In a calm and measured voice, I said: “Well, I’ve been doing this run for four years since I got my bike during the pandemic. Each day, I’ve gained more strength, and developed new skills incrementally. Each day I tend to push the limits just a bit more, developing new abilities daily. What you saw back there from your point of view seemed reckless. I understand that. For me, it was just part of my daily routine”.

He appeared stunned at the frankness of my explanation. He asked me how old I was, and expressed surprise that I was 66.

He told me he was head of traffic control in this district for the last 12 years. The outer edge of his district encompassed the first mile of my daily run. He said he’d never had a fatality on his watch for the last 12 years and wanted to keep it that way. He was waving his hands, raising his voice, and shaking his head back and forth.

In a measured tone, I told him that he was right! That I knew I was required to act like a motor vehicle while on the road, and my crossing lanes, and driving in the opposite direction of traffic was dangerous behavior. I apologized to him for my riding style and told him that this was a good “wake up call”. I said that with that type of riding, “time was against me, and sooner or later I would probably get hit by car”. I told him I respected his position, and that I would play by the rules in his bailiwick. That he was “Boss”.

He said, “how do I know you are telling the truth?”. I raised my right hand, three fingers, and said “Scouts Honor”. He shook his head, and said, “do you know how many people have broken their promises to me?” I felt sad for him at that moment. He had a look of sadness and defeat on his face. I’m sure in his position, it’s easy to develop a high degree of cynicism towards human behavior. I replied, “I’m sorry people don’t keep their word with you, it must suck, but I won’t let you down. I appreciate the fact that you have been so kind and reasonable to me”, all the while, still holding my right hand high. He shook his head and departed.

It was a good interaction. He started out like a volcano. In the end, his demeanor mollified, and I assured him that the encounter would result in a change to my riding style in his territory. The Law Man and the Outlaw came to an understanding.

Truth is, it just kills me now not to shoot across that beautifully manicured parkway when there is no traffic anywhere in sight.

But Scouts Honor, an Oath to a Code taken in youth when my ideals were at their zenith, I shall not break it.

On My Honor — ScouterLife.jpg

You darted, popped, shot, angled, popped again, slalomed, and banked. And all the while, your hearing was impaired by loud music. You old juvenile delinquent! :D

You darted, popped, shot, angled, popped again, slalomed, and banked. And all the while, your hearing was impaired by loud music. You old juvenile delinquent! :D
That about sums it up! Once I get on that bike and start rolling to some fast tempo music, I feel like kid again!

My Playlist starts out:
Danger Zone - Kenny Loggins
Shut Down - Beach Boys
Sultans of Swing - Dire Straights (Alchemy Live)
On Her Majesty's Secret Service - James Bond Theme
Twilight Zone - Golden Earring
Magic Carpet Ride - Steppenwolf
Born To Be Wild - Steppenwolf
Summer of 69' - Bryan Adams

Last edited:
He could have educated you, scolded you, written you a ticket, etc, but the apparent lack of control and his screaming at you shows me what's wrong with policing these days. Imagine where this could have gone if you had "lipped off" at him.

He could have educated you, scolded you, written you a ticket, etc, but the apparent lack of control and his screaming at you shows me what's wrong with policing these days. Imagine where this could have gone if you had "lipped off" at him.
So true. So true. It would have gotten very confrontational.

Back in 1980 I was working in burglar alarms/security systems.
I needed to pick up a co-worker and hit the ferry to Victoria BC to take care of an install at a fire dept.
I got up a bit late, and hit the road. I was driving a '72 Volks van. I was speeding. No doubt about it. Last thing I wanted was to miss the ferry.
On my way down River road (speeding which is hard to do in a '72 Volks van) I passed at high speed a cop car on the side of the road.
Hmmm... I'm screwed I thought.
So... around the next corner I pulled over (no cop in sight) and waited.
Then I saw the cop come around the corner at very high speed. I almost thought he'd go right by me! 🤣
He slammed on the brakes and pulled in behind me. As he exited the car and approached me, I rolled down the window and stuck both my arms out in an effort to look like I was ready for "the cuffs".
When he got to the car I told him the honest truth.
His response was to tell me that he'd let me off, and that missing the ferry was punishment enough.
He was correct. :)

In England you could do that naked, drinking a pint of beer, smoking a spliff and doing a ntse salute and a copper wouldnt even look up from his phone.

We've sort of given up.
I don't know Charge if you have ever read the book 'Three Men On The Bummel' by Jerome K. Jerome. The book was published in 1900 and tells the story of three Englishmen who went on a bicycle tour of Germany. One of the stories is about how young Englishmen in those days found it very difficult to do mischief or pranks for which they would be properly punished, which would make their lives merrier. Jerome wrote that any Englishman who wanted to do something (amusingly) wrong and receive punishment should travel to Germany, as the German penal code was extremely extensive and full of acts that no one would have even thought of :D

And it still is!

Not heard of that , but his 'Three men in a boat' is very well known in Britain.
The tin of pineapple scene comes from a completely different time when people had attention spans to match.
I find it laborious to watch now.
I laughed aloud while reading that bit!
CR, it is not too late to read the "Bummel". I perceive the book as the best cycling novel; and Germany has not changed very much since 1900 :D

Well-played, sir. Reminds me of the one near-DUI I had in 1985 or so in CT. The cop said, "I never know what to do with guys like you. You walk and you talk and you're being very respectful to me right now, which is helping you out a lot. But I don't think you should be driving tonight, so leave it parked right here, walk home, and know that anytime I see this vehicle, I may stop and search it-- and you-- just because you make me nervous."

To which I replied, "Thank you very much, sir. I will take that warning very seriously, and I'm not just saying that."

And I did.

This is the best, definitive version of the song, in my opinion, and I've listened to them all.

This year, my wife (thoughtfully) suggested we watch the film on 4/27. We watched it right up to the start of the first skiing sequence.

The next day, 4/28, I drove to Mt. Baldy for my latest-ever (and hopefully not my last-ever) day of skiing in Southern California. Snow was a little wet and heavy, but otherwise quite good-- you could really put a series of turns together, it was just more work.

That night, when I got off the mountain, we watched the rest of the film. Great fun. Lazenby really does a good job with the part. I like Connery and Craig best generally, but Lazenby does a great job with the role, shows Bond's vulnerability (as Fleming showed it in the novels) really well. The best moments in OHMMSS are definitely better than the worst, or cheesiest moments, in one or two of the Connery and Craig films.

This was the view riding up Chair 1-- not exactly Piz Gloria. It is the reason why I think "forbidding" is the right adjective to describe this 'resort' in late spring. And those are some vintage chairlifts, over half a century old.

20240428_114246.jpg

This is the view from Thunder on one of the Intermediate runs. Conditions were quite serviceable-- and, as you can see, no crowds whatsoever. Blissful.

20240428_163109.jpg

Your ego prevents your perception: Stooge was baiting you big boy scout and you went for it with your smart remarks.
And allowed the law dog to smell your breath I'm certain.
He wanted to see if you were drunk, or just how cocky you would be when he stormed up on you because of your action and because he felt like it , he's not bound by traffic law, and he wanted your see reaction in his territory .
Name, Yes, No. & Am I free to go NOW? or will I get a ticket and see you later in court?

And allowed the law dog to smell your breath I'm certain.
He wanted to see if you were drunk,
Name, Yes, No. & Am I free to go NOW? or will I get a ticket and see you later in court?
Actually Mike, he was about 5 feet away from me at all times, so no, he couldn't smell my beath. He did't ask for my name or ID, which I found odd, and never asked me to dismount my bike. He didn't do the normal things an officer does to establish contol of the encounter. I don't think he even recognized that I was on an e-bike. As I said, I felt sorry for him. He was a small, out of shape, unkempt, seemed stressed-out. And while he had the authority to write me a ticket for reckless driving, I think he knew my moves were not "reckless". They were excuted flawlessly on an empty street.

Last edited:
I looked up laws here in Hawaii, yeah you can get a DUI riding bicycle on public roads.
Who wants to ride drunk anyway. I've smoked Vados then go riding but I ended up stopping many times to take pictures and 2 hours later in the ride I check my Google maps and only traveled 10 miles and feeling very hungry.

Back