After 3 days on my brand new Level 2, a flat occurs...

Wiley Coyote

Region
USA
City
ABQ, New Mexico
Lucky for my the flat occurred, just a couple blocks from home as my ride for the day wound down. I got home, took a close look at thie tire and I could feel air coming out of the valve a long with the hissing noise. I suspected a bad valve core. I took the wheel to the LBS and they discovered it was a bad/defective valve. They replaced the stock inner tube with a Butyl Inner Tube. There was no charge to the replacement and labor to install the new tube. The bike technician told me it would take a little longer cause ot the Tannus Insert, only took him 20 minutes. I had my first experience of an irrate 4 wheeler. Evidently I did not cross the intersection fast enough for his liking. I used my throttle cause I was coming from a dead stop at the light, crossed the interection and got to the right as soon as i cleared the intersection to hug the curb yet still wasn't good enough for him, he floors his cargo van and whizzes by, at least he didn't lay on his horn.

I​

Flats are a pain when they happen. I started out with always taking my bikes to LBS for repairs at first; but, eventually started fixing my flats on my own. Saved me a lot time and money to get me back on the road faster doing my own repairs.

Right now I am trying to build up my endurance, put on 20 mile0s over 3 days, it's a start. Along the Rio Grande River Trail, are there Goat Head stickers everywhere or just on the dirt trails , thanks...

I've been riding the Rio Grande river Bosque paved, double-wide dirt, and single track trails since 2014. I've rode the bike paths down past Rio Bravo Blvd, behind Bosque School off Coors/Montano Blvd, west/east on the Paso Del Norte paved bike paths towards Balloon Biesta Park or south toward UNM, and as far as I can north toward Corrales along the Rio Grande river. I haven't had a noticeable issue with goat head stickers or hidden low cactus plants on/off the trails in those areas. The few times I got flats in those areas was running over branches with sharp nubs on the single tracks and getting up to a dime size hole in the fat tire (carry an extra tube).

The majority of my flats are from the ton of goat head stickers when I use to lived on the west side (98th/Ladera) or road debris in the "share the lane" bike paths. Almost impossible to avoid getting 1-10 goat head stickers in your tires once you go west past Coors Blvd. Learned the hard way and I don't remove the stickers until I get home because that large goat head sticker might be plugging the hole. Another issue is all the debris in the vehicle lane gets pushed int the share the lane paths. I've had flats car parts from accidents, broken glass bottles, nails/screws, and other debris in the bike lane (hard to see at 5-6am bike commute). The sidewalks are usually covered in goat head stickers when I try to avoid the areas with high road debris (pick your poison type of thing). Using Mr. Tuffy liners and Stans sealant really helped cut down my flats to 1-2 per month to 1-2 per year. Giving Tannus+Stans a try instead of Mr. Tuffy+Stans for my Himiway Cobra Pro.

I've moved close to Rio Grande Blvd/Candelaria Rd in 2020 and no issues with goat head stickers since. I've done the bike trails a few times in the foothills (zero issues with goat head stickers). I haven't tried to ride along Tramway in the bike lanes or sidewalks. A few rides in Santa Fe; but, the sidewalks and streets are way too narrow downtown for my comfort levels.

I've been riding the Rio Grande river Bosque paved, double-wide dirt, and single track trails since 2014. I've rode the bike paths down past Rio Bravo Blvd, behind Bosque School off Coors/Montano Blvd, west/east on the Paso Del Norte paved bike paths towards Balloon Biesta Park or south toward UNM, and as far as I can north toward Corrales along the Rio Grande river. I haven't had a noticeable issue with goat head stickers or hidden low cactus plants on/off the trails in those areas. The few times I got flats in those areas was running over branches with sharp nubs on the single tracks and getting up to a dime size hole in the fat tire (carry an extra tube).

The majority of my flats are from the ton of goat head stickers when I use to lived on the west side (98th/Ladera) or road debris in the "share the lane" bike paths. Almost impossible to avoid getting 1-10 goat head stickers in your tires once you go west past Coors Blvd. Learned the hard way and I don't remove the stickers until I get home because that large goat head sticker might be plugging the hole. Another issue is all the debris in the vehicle lane gets pushed int the share the lane paths. I've had flats car parts from accidents, broken glass bottles, nails/screws, and other debris in the bike lane (hard to see at 5-6am bike commute). The sidewalks are usually covered in goat head stickers when I try to avoid the areas with high road debris (pick your poison type of thing). Using Mr. Tuffy liners and Stans sealant really helped cut down my flats to 1-2 per month to 1-2 per year. Giving Tannus+Stans a try instead of Mr. Tuffy+Stans for my Himiway Cobra Pro.

I've moved close to Rio Grande Blvd/Candelaria Rd in 2020 and no issues with goat head stickers since. I've done the bike trails a few times in the foothills (zero issues with goat head stickers). I haven't tried to ride along Tramway in the bike lanes or sidewalks. A few rides in Santa Fe; but, the sidewalks and streets are way too narrow downtown for my comfort levels.
Thanks again for your very descriptive reply. It sounds like the Rio Grande Trail could be a nightmare, or just make sure you ride prepared for the worst, maybe I'll stay a long the Sandia's. Yea, those Goat Head Stickers are nasty. I have not encounter or had a reason to look for them until now. I run Tannus Armour on both my tires as I had Sport Systems install them as they assembled my bike. They may be similar in quality to Mr. Tuffy, I don't know, You will have to let us know what your findings turn out when the time comes. I don't currently have any sealant in my tires, you seem to swear by Stans so I may give that a go. You got any head light upgrades you'd like to share? I got to do something about the anemic head lamp that came with my Aventon.

The Rio Grande trails are very nice with several easy access points for walkers, joggers, (e)bikes, wheelchair, and horse riders. Just give horse riders the right away and slow down or even stop to let them pass. Don't want to spook a horse and have it throw the rider. I've seen more people using the Rio Grande area today compared to 5-10 years ago. It can get a little crowded after 9am on the weekends; but, less folks after 3pm. The city of ABQ does a good job of cleaning up the trails from storms, keeping the homeless from camping, constructing look outs for wildlife, bridges over irrigation inlets, and improving trails for easier access for almost any physical activities. I've had a few flats from branches and wiped out a few times in muddy spots on the single track. Because of the length of the area, I could be 5-15 miles away from home or from my vehicle if I can't fix on the spot.

The huge advantage you will have with your ebike is having the motor. Most pedal bikes in ABQ don't ride when it gets too hot or too windy. We can just up the PAS level to help neutralize the wind that would sideline a lot of pedal bike riders. I've noticed increasing the PAS level and riding 15-20mph cools you off more on +95 degree F days. I wear the same long sleeve light colored UV nylon bike shirts in all four seasons. I would overheat and drip sweat like crazy with my old pedal bike on +95 degree F days and I just stopped riding as much or ride near sun up in the summer before ebikes. I now have the option to ride 365 days per year with an ebike and I only park the ebike if it is raining, snowing, or the surface is icy/snow covered/wet (probably 7-10 days a year in ABQ).

Using Mr. Tuffy or Tannus really come in handy if you need to ride your ebike on the streets to get to the Rio Grande area. For me, 95% of my flats were on public sidewalks with goat head stickers and debris in the share the road bike lanes.

Before the pandemic, I ebike work commuted starting 5am. I also like to ride the Rio Grande trails at night because I have the entire area to myself (with a few rabbits, coyotes, porcupines, etc...). My Radrover headlight was as bright as a candle. I purchases used off eBay NiteRider Enduro Pro 3600 to mount on the ebike and Enduro Pro 2000 for my helmet. I would highly recommend an AUX light that blinks for extra safety for "share the road" riding during the day. I like the helmet light for road riding at night because the lower mounted bike light can sometimes be blocked by landscape or parked cars when riding up to an intersection (no cop/no stop drivers at 5am on a side street when you have the right away). I also like the helmet light because it lights up everywhere I look (extremely helpful for low branches and curvy single track). NiteRider lights are expensive new or used; but, they last trouble-free for a long time. I purchased most of my lights/batteries used back in 2017 and they are still working perfectly today.

. NiteRider lights are expensive new or used; but, they last trouble-free for a long time.
Niterider may be great for the desert. My 2019 niterider swift 500 lasted under a year in Indiana. Rain in the ON button destroyed the controller or switch. Stupid of them to put the only switch right on top. Opening it up & letting it dry did nothing. I use a Catseye now, but am not tempting fate. I keep the light sealed in a peanut butter jar in the pannier. It is such a ***** to find it in the dark I mostly never use it.
Stupid me, I had a flat yesterday. Let the tube walk around until the stem was cut by the rim. Took me 30 minutes to change tube & tire in a pouring rain. 5 minutes of that to remove the brake cable from under the wheel nuts where I trapped it. That was the hub motor end, the front. Tire was worn to knobs only 1/16" tall: was worn out anyway and the spare was in the pannier.

Last edited:
I purchase Stans in box with 2 oz bottle. I add Stans to the inner tube of my two Radrovers, two Radcity step thru, and my Himiway Cobra Pro. I have a valve stem remover to make it easier to add Stans in the tube. No problems all four seasons with Stans or feel/hear any of the sealant inside the tube. I had to add a 2 oz tube every 3-6 months when I lived on the west side with all the goat heads. I haven't had to add more Stans since I moved back in 2020 a few block from the Rio Grande bike trails with way less goat heads.

Should Stan's go between the tube and the tire? With a tubeless ready setup? You don't want it leaking out the spoke nipples. The rim should be taped. I did this on a bike this week. If in just the tube it will make a mess.

Should Stan's go between the tube and the tire? With a tubeless ready setup? You don't want it leaking out the spoke nipples. The rim should be taped. I did this on a bike this week. If in just the tube it will make a mess.
Huh? What's going to leak and make the tire go flat with a tubed tire? The tube. Will Stan's seal the tube from the outside? I'm very skeptical. And I suppose there's a way to get the Stan's between the tire and the tube, but so far my imagination is only showing me an incredibly messy process!

Stan's is made for tubeless tires as far as I know, but apparently it works in tubes too, maybe not as well. I don't know about other brands but Slime sells separate formulations for tubes and tubeless. It might make more sense to use a product made for tubes.

TT

Lucky for my the flat occurred, just a couple blocks from home as my ride for the day wound down. I got home, took a close look at thie tire and I could feel air coming out of the valve a long with the hissing noise. I suspected a bad valve core. I took the wheel to the LBS and they discovered it was a bad/defective valve. They replaced the stock inner tube with a Butyl Inner Tube. There was no charge to the replacement and labor to install the new tube. The bike technician told me it would take a little longer cause ot the Tannus Insert, only took him 20 minutes. I had my first experience of an irrate 4 wheeler. Evidently I did not cross the intersection fast enough for his liking. I used my throttle cause I was coming from a dead stop at the light, crossed the interection and got to the right as soon as i cleared the intersection to hug the curb yet still wasn't good enough for him, he floors his cargo van and whizzes by, at least he didn't lay on his horn.

I​

Hello, Don't be discouraged by the 'annoyed ' cargo van driver....I've been riding e-bikes for 6 years and have discovered there's
a small number 'hardwired' car / truck bicycle 'haters'.

Should your Tannus Inserts not work to your satisfaction, I strongly recommend the Schwalbe's
'Flatless' Line of tires, assuming they have a tire and size for your bike. I have Schwalbe 'Flatless' tires on both
my e-bikes. 12,000 miles 6 years, no flats. They're not cheap, but worth the investment to me.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/blog/news/innovation/flat-less/

Good luck,
John

Hello, Don't be discouraged by the 'annoyed ' cargo van driver....I've been riding e-bikes for 6 years and have discovered there's
a small number 'hardwired' car / truck bicycle 'haters'.

Should your Tannus Inserts not work to your satisfaction, I strongly recommend the Schwalbe's
'Flatless' Line of tires, assuming they have a tire and size for your bike. I have Schwalbe 'Flatless' tires on both
my e-bikes. 12,000 miles 6 years, no flats. They're not cheap, but worth the investment to me.

https://www.schwalbetires.com/blog/news/innovation/flat-less/

Good luck,
John
Thank you for your suggestion on the Schwalbetires, I have bookmarked the Link...

I've been using Stans with tubes since 2014 with 700X40C tire, 26X4, 26X2.3, and 26X4.8 tires all with tubes. It works for me in my riding environment in the southwest with cactus plants and goat heads. Slime for tubes would probably work just as well; but, I've tried Stans on the suggestion of a local bike shop that had to deal with goat heads stickers for decades. Mr. Tuffy (or Tannus)+ Stans + tubes = 99% solution for reducing goat head sticker flats in my riding environment.

Back