Curse continues! Rear flat again.....

In my opinion the best thing to do about flats is realize that they are going to happen and learn to deal with them. They are just not that big a deal. Use Slime, or something like it. That will cut way down on the issue, but carry the tools and the supplies needed to fix a flat. The only thing to fear about fixing a flat is fear itself. Just do it!

TT

Last edited:
It's called the Flat Tire Lottery. I seem to win it a lot. Issue one is my commute is 13 miles each way, 5 days a week, along urban streets. Other issue is my work is German owned and being late is not a good look. I added tire liners (Mr. Tuffy) and ordering better tires when they come back in stock (Continental Contact Plus Travel) so I think I should be fine. But the E-Lux wheel tire is actually easy to remove and re-install. Much better than my old 20" ebike.

I enjoy the commute to much to not do it, so I'll just bullet proof the tires as best as possible. The stock E-Lux branded tires have weak flat protection. I've had bad luck with Slime and the like in the past and have no urge to try it now.

I've had bad luck with Slime and the like in the past and have no urge to try it now.
To each his own, but I can't really even imagine how you could have bad luck with Slime (or similar products). What can go wrong?? It is more difficult with Presta valves, and I've heard of people claiming it clogged their valves. In my experience I don't see how that's possible, especially to the point that it can't just be blown our or cleaned out by pulling valve core and maybe pushing a stick or something through the stem. There are people who say it's happened to them but with respect, I have to doubt they couldn't have easily resolved the issue.

TT

Not sure if I posted this story on our site, so here goes: I installed Slime tubes on my old Dyno Taxi beach cruiser. Great beach cruiser set up for riding the ladies on the handlebars! One night I'm riding to the oceanfront for fun and drink. Next thing I know I hear a faint hiss sound and something wet. Its a clear, lovely night so its not the wind or rain. I stop and look. I got a puncture in my front tire and was not only loosing air but I had a neon green stripe from my crotch to my forehead! So I still got a pinhole flat tire and a nice green racing stripe. So when I got home I pulled both Slime tubes and tossed them in the trash! The Tuffy liners combined with the new Conti Contact Plus City Reflex Tires and 30% thicker Goodyear tubes will hopefully be enough.

Must have been quite a puncture to cause an issue like that. What do think your chances are of something like that happening again?

Last edited:
I can't fault Big Ben's on my bike, 6000kms between 2 bikes and no punctures. Picked up bit of steel wire in it which banged against mudguard till I removed it. On recent inspection found 1/2 dozen deep cuts to green
guard layer and removed few pieces of glass. Worth inspecting every few months as those pieces of glass will eventually work their way through tire, had it with small stone on another green guard tire.

Not sure if I posted this story on our site, so here goes: I installed Slime tubes on my old Dyno Taxi beach cruiser. Great beach cruiser set up for riding the ladies on the handlebars! One night I'm riding to the oceanfront for fun and drink. Next thing I know I hear a faint hiss sound and something wet. Its a clear, lovely night so its not the wind or rain. I stop and look. I got a puncture in my front tire and was not only loosing air but I had a neon green stripe from my crotch to my forehead! So I still got a pinhole flat tire and a nice green racing stripe. So when I got home I pulled both Slime tubes and tossed them in the trash! The Tuffy liners combined with the new Conti Contact Plus City Reflex Tires and 30% thicker Goodyear tubes will hopefully be enough.
Ha, well, I might have the same attitude if that happened to me! Of course other brands of tire sealant aren't as brightly colored. 🤪 I agree with AHicks though, the odds against that happening again are probably astronomical -- it's the first I've ever heard of it happening even once. Weird things can happen. If all those one-offs caused everyone to quit doing whatever they were doing no one would ever do anything again!

TT

Last edited:
Check your spoke heads in the rim for burrs.

Got my new Continental Contact Plus City tires installed. My OEM tires were 26x2.125 and the Conti tires run 26x2.2. The front just clears the fender, VERY close. The rear clears no problem. I need some miles before I can comment on the Contis but.... I watch over a friend who's only ride is a bicycle. So he got a rear flat on the 26" bmx (Fairdale Taj) I gave him so I got him some Mr. Tuffy liners and gave him my barely used E-Lux Vee Rubber tire. The Vee has "B-Proof" protection so its better than the cheap Kenda that was on the bmx bike. But I still wonder what "B-Proof" is. Come to think about it, I installed Slime tire liners AND the Tuffys before installing the Vee Rubber tire. He got taken out by a staple!

Got my new Continental Contact Plus City tires installed. My OEM tires were 26x2.125 and the Conti tires run 26x2.2. The front just clears the fender, VERY close. The rear clears no problem. I need some miles before I can comment on the Contis but.... I watch over a friend who's only ride is a bicycle. So he got a rear flat on the 26" bmx (Fairdale Taj) I gave him so I got him some Mr. Tuffy liners and gave him my barely used E-Lux Vee Rubber tire. The Vee has "B-Proof" protection so its better than the cheap Kenda that was on the bmx bike. But I still wonder what "B-Proof" is. Come to think about it, I installed Slime tire liners AND the Tuffys before installing the Vee Rubber tire. He got taken out by a staple!
Of course, hate to resurrect an old thread, some claim laundry starch will do the job on tires, has anyone done it?

Back