• Trek Marlin+ 6

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Archerdude

Region
USA
Good Morning!

I tested out the Trek Marlin+ 6 with the Bosch Active Line Plus motor the other day and loved it. I then saw an ad for the Aventon Ramblas the next day! They have the exact same MSRP of about 2700 USD. From the reviews of the Ramblas, it all looks pretty well put together and refined. Fit and finish look great. Display seems to be good and comparable to the Bosch Purion 200. No LBS around me has one ready for me to test drive yet. I would buy either ebike from a LBS and therefore have the support of a dealer and Elite dealer if I went the Aventon route. The Ramblas has double the torque (50nm vs 100nm), and much longer distance capability. I would love to see a head to head comparison between the two since they are very similar and the price point is the same. The weight is only a few pounds more for the Ramblas, and for so much more distance and torque. it makes me think its a no brainer, but I am brand new to ebikes. My initial concern is a brand new, gen-1 in house mid-drive motor from Aventon which has not be proven and tested. Although, the Elite dealer LBS would take care of me for the first 2 years at least. For me personally, I am not doing anything crazy on a mountain trail. I'd like to take it there and ride without fear of ruining everything. I will probably do 40% riding on pavement, 40% riding on dirt/natural/gravel trails that are flat to moderate, and 20% on technical trails. This will be my first ebike. I am in my late 20s, a big guy at over 6 feet tall and over 275 pounds. I live in a cold environment in the Mountain West Region of the US. Would having a removable battery (Ramblas) be a huge plus for when I store my bike in an non climate controlled environment, I can take the batter and put it in a neutral climate? (again new to ebikes lol.) What are your initial thoughts on this matchup?

Aventon-Ramblas-review-1200x600-c-default.jpg
trek marlin+ 6.jpg

The specs sure look better on the Aventon. What’s the weight rating of it. The Trek is rated at 300 pounds, including the bike, you’d be about 25 pounds over on that. To me the aTrek looks like it’s meant to be a bare bones bike.

your going to get the best battery from the bosch hands down. Bafang have pretty primitive displays. no heart rate no torque display no calorie count no GPS. I forgot it uses your phone for gps. bosch is easy to service all over the world toor.

your going to get the best battery from the bosch hands down. Bafang have pretty primitive displays. no heart rate no torque display no calorie count no GPS. I forgot it uses your phone for gps. bosch is easy to service all over the world toor.
On your point of Bafang, Aventon isn't using a Bafang, they teamed with another company to develop the motor. Which makes it a beta version bike. Seeing the range and power of the Aventon though is a tough time passing on if I wasn't going to be doing bombing runs down a singletrack.

Good Morning!

I tested out the Trek Marlin+ 6 with the Bosch Active Line Plus motor the other day and loved it. I then saw an ad for the Aventon Ramblas the next day! They have the exact same MSRP of about 2700 USD. From the reviews of the Ramblas, it all looks pretty well put together and refined. Fit and finish look great. Display seems to be good and comparable to the Bosch Purion 200. No LBS around me has one ready for me to test drive yet. I would buy either ebike from a LBS and therefore have the support of a dealer and Elite dealer if I went the Aventon route. The Ramblas has double the torque (50nm vs 100nm), and much longer distance capability. I would love to see a head to head comparison between the two since they are very similar and the price point is the same. The weight is only a few pounds more for the Ramblas, and for so much more distance and torque. it makes me think its a no brainer, but I am brand new to ebikes. My initial concern is a brand new, gen-1 in house mid-drive motor from Aventon which has not be proven and tested. Although, the Elite dealer LBS would take care of me for the first 2 years at least. For me personally, I am not doing anything crazy on a mountain trail. I'd like to take it there and ride without fear of ruining everything. I will probably do 40% riding on pavement, 40% riding on dirt/natural/gravel trails that are flat to moderate, and 20% on technical trails. This will be my first ebike. I am in my late 20s, a big guy at over 6 feet tall and over 275 pounds. I live in a cold environment in the Mountain West Region of the US. Would having a removable battery (Ramblas) be a huge plus for when I store my bike in an non climate controlled environment, I can take the batter and put it in a neutral climate? (again new to ebikes lol.) What are your initial thoughts on this matchup?

View attachment 172173 View attachment 172174
Check out this review. You may be in the upper part of the height/weight of some of the "could improve" part of the Aventon. Possibly an easy fix down the road with a fork swap.
edit: I have never ridden an Aventon, and honestly don't know anyone that has one. But the company seems to be doing things right enough to consider.

The main reason I would not take the Trek is the smallish 400 Wh battery. No experience with Aventon but the motor power is significantly higher there and the battery is 708 Wh, which is a very good contemporary standard.

The Marlin+ is one of the entry level e-bikes of Trek, and good Trek e-bikes are far more expensive than the Marlin+.

I looked really hard at this bike, but was very worried about a first generation motor that I wanted to slog around the hills, and when I talk to some of the dealers that were on their website, they didn’t even know about the bike and quite honestly they said they would order one, but that wouldn’t their first choice. I am not sure their dealer network is very strong.

Look at some of the YouTube reviews of both. The Ramblas has some nice reviews from actual mountain bikers. You can watch how both ride on mtn bike trails via YouTube.

Back