Should I convert my mtb or buy a pre-made one?

I love the way normal sized chainrings are branded " bling" !

It"s also worth noting the big steps and limited options in the mtb chainring size - just 28 and 36 t ! How do bafang owners find those options for tighter / technical riding?

Just thinking whilst tapping - on my giant ( yamaha pwx) I vary between 32/34/36 chainrings depending on intended use - but that's with an 11 sp wide range cassette - not the 8 sp the op has. I would be reasonably happy living with just the 34 option but if only 36 was available that'd be unpleasant. Does the extra watevers in the bafang compensate for the limited mechanical choices?
My Ultra came with a 44t that I changed to a 49t. Are you saying choices below 44t are limited? There's nothing special about it. Just another 130 BCD 5 bolt.

This is another way of saying what I already told you.

Quote:
but I found it easier to pull the trigger on converting, because of the significant cost savings.( if I didn't like it , it only cost me $600.)
If money isn't a question in your decision, then you can easily try buying a 20 thousand dollar, bike. You get the point.
Commie pinko!

Thanks for the replies everyone, y'all been a great help. I understand things better and have a better idea of what is possible or not

YOU'RE WELCOME
Hopefully he doesn’t follow your bad advice
1654743320142.png

LOL y'all are too funny 😅
I assume you are reacting to the megatroll...good for you !
cuz he's been on my ignore list,for years now.
If not aware already, you will soon see that his whole life is insulting others !
The kind of troll only other trolls hang with, sad really.
I really think he is going into his second childhood...you know dementia.

Last edited:
This very picture demonstrates the true application for Bafang motors:
1654754310168.png

A 20" fat tyre folder.

1654754655340.png

Here are true (a.k.a. "bling") MTB chainrings.

Last edited:
My Ultra came with a 44t that I changed to a 49t. Are you saying choices below 44t are limited? There's nothing special about it. Just another 130 BCD 5 bolt.

Thanks- I wasn't clear on why they only listed such limited (unusual sized ) chainrings - so any 130 bcd 5 bolt fits??? Nice to learn new stuff- thanks

out of curiosity, why would you say that the Surface brand is not MTB worthy? My trek marlin 6 2020 is pretty much the same bike component wise
Both are entry level mtbs design for light trail use and leisure riding. Push them hard in rough and things will start breaking.

Both are entry level mtbs design for light trail use and leisure riding. Push them hard in rough and things will start breaking.
I would just like to remind that e-mtb means different things to different riders. A dedicated hardcore e-mtb bike is a pretty specialized/sophisticated machine built using high end components demanded by hard core riders, and it's very likely going to be a pretty expensive bike. Most of the over the counter bikes sold as "e-mtbs" are more hybrid in nature - and WAY less money. I think most of us would do just fine on a "hybrid", especially if this was a first or second bike. My bet is somebody looking for one of these bikes built for hard core riders will know exactly what they are looking for, and will be able able to spec a bike like this out, component by component....

Regarding which you "need" is going to depend on how you plan on riding pretty much, and the depth of your wallet. To help make that call, I would suggest you walk before you run.....

Last edited:
Back