Short Inflatable Sleeping Pads?

Mr. Coffee

Region
USA
City
A Demented Corner of the North Cascades
I normally backpack with a cut down Z-lite pad, which if I purchase the full-length I can divide into two pads that are just fine (they pad me from shoulders to hips). However, for bicycle touring this isn't optimal as the Z-lite pads are pretty bulky and will not fit comfortably in a pannier, much less bikepacking bags.

So I looked at inflatable pads. After getting over the price shock, I was distressed to observe that there are very few (to none) short length inflatable pads and all of the full length pads I looked at are unreasonably heavy and bulky.

Right now about the only thing I found that **might** work for me is the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Ultra Sleeping Pad (short length). Hopefully that will be a success story...

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221226-143305_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20221226-143305_Chrome.jpg
    228 KB · Views: 152
Have you looked at this:

They pack down to about the size of a water bottle. We've used them for years (not bike camping, but other travels).

Wait - they DO make a short version:

Thanks! That looks promising and is also quite reasonably priced.

I have a hard time paying $200 for an air mattress.

I normally backpack with a cut down Z-lite pad, which if I purchase the full-length I can divide into two pads that are just fine (they pad me from shoulders to hips). However, for bicycle touring this isn't optimal as the Z-lite pads are pretty bulky and will not fit comfortably in a pannier, much less bikepacking bags.

So I looked at inflatable pads. After getting over the price shock, I was distressed to observe that there are very few (to none) short length inflatable pads and all of the full length pads I looked at are unreasonably heavy and bulky.

Right now about the only thing I found that **might** work for me is the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Ultra Sleeping Pad (short length). Hopefully that will be a success story...
I checked out your link to the Big Agnes but it was OOS. However, they did have the Big Agnes Divide insulated pad in a short. A bit heavier but an R value of 4.5. Sounds comfy. Have you tried that brand? I'm thinking it could work for me too.

I checked out your link to the Big Agnes but it was OOS. However, they did have the Big Agnes Divide insulated pad in a short. A bit heavier but an R value of 4.5. Sounds comfy. Have you tried that brand? I'm thinking it could work for me too.
Yes, I have a Big Agnes pad and it is working fine for me.

I might switch over to this thinner and lighter Gossamer Gear pad but need to figure out how to pack it:

I'd recommend one of the little electric pumps over the included inflation bag. They will inflate your pad more quickly and they weigh less and are less bulky. They are reasonably priced. This Flextail Pump is representative:

Back