Nitro journal, short rider edition

gioflowers

Region
Canada
Short People Would Wear Anything - My height: 5'1".
Demonia Cult boots
Dolls Kill boots
New Rock boots
I've just placed my ordernitroknobby-ds-black_1.jpg for a Nitro in Black.
Receipt with order number received by email.
The free accessory that I chose is the internal mirror.
The cost of this bike is just over $2,000.00 CAD not including tax.
The shipping is free at the moment. Maybe it always is, I don't know.

Nitro's 500w motor does not concern me, even on the hilly terrain in my area because I have a brand new 750w motor that I bought for my RadRunner Plus's power upgrade that I am not going to use on the Rad. I did Bolton's Rad Power Upgrade (display and controller) and bought the 750w motor to complete the upgrade. Now I'm finding that the Bolton power upgrade is all that the RadRunner Plus needs for the torque that I am looking for to climb the hills here.

Questions
So if needed (meaning, if, after tweaking the code in the display for the power increase and unlocking the max speed), I'll explore if Nitro's battery can handle the motor swap. The battery is likely proprietary, in which case if the included battery can't handle the increased power of the swap I'll have to explore other ways to upgrade. Will Voltbike sell an upgraded battery? The answer to that question evokes a further question - is the size of Nitro's battery unique to this ebike only? If not, then an upgrade is more possible, though, in these uncertain times, not probable. If so, then it is unlikely that the company would invest in an upgrade for the hobbits zoom zoom around the shire.

Personal Cons
* No front rack accessory option - the headlamp can be elevated to accommodate one sista
* Say no to slick tires. I hope I am not unlucky on this one

Accessories Needed
* Signal lights
* Tires - if slick tires are shipped, change them for off road. Gravel tires may be okay, but not likely
* Motorcycle seat - or maybe a gel seat cover, or fake sheep skin
* Trunk - small, structured. Can a pannier rack system be used?
* Two tone colour combination for entire bike (pedals, grips, spoke covers, rear shocks - possibly red, maybe not, explore neon pieces)
* Diamond Air Valve Caps - self-pour
* May have to swap out handlebars
* Explore pedals that work with my riding boots

Possible Mods
* Battery upgrade if possible and if necessary
* Swap the motor for a 750w if the battery can handle it.
* Swap out the seat for a short rider type of set.
* Swap out the pedals for flat solid

Review one - to increase power output adjust code in the display.
A Really Sketchy Review

Last edited:
The bike has been shipped. Tracking number received.
Nitro book journal started.

Last edited:
Photos to come.

The derailleur protector was bent inward. I bent it back out.
Included are associated bike tools to attach handlebars and peddles to the ebike

Also included is my chosen complementary gift - end of handlebar mirror (internal)
Love it.

The ebike arrived almost fully assembled and with the battery indicators as fully charged.
It was a breeze to attach the pedals and then the handlebars.
Not a light bike, but neither is it heavy.
BIG FAT KNOBBIES! YAY!! 🤸‍♂️🎡

I rode it down a 12% grade dusty road with sand, loose gravel, and deep ruts all the way down. The bike handled well without awkward heaviness. The going up was good and with a little pedaling Nitro took it no problem.

Things that I love about the Nitro
Size - Oh my! Thank you so very much. Love, a short rider. Everything is so frigg'in cute.
Tires - Thank you thank you thank you
The power to get to full speed quickly - It's a fast bike. I don't mean it's a fastbike. With a gentle start, it gets to 33km within seconds - this is as fast as I have done with this bike so far. I have not done a complete speed test.
Rear Rack -
That handle grip behind the seat to help you to move the bike around. Nice touch.
Twist Throttle - Small hands mean that the thumb throttle stretch is often too great and results in - PAIN
Headlight - Moped/motorcycle grade? Looks like it to me. Maybe look for a headlight cage of some kind.
Canadian Company - Canadians understand the need for knobby tires. Company is sort of close by in terms of shipping time.
Can I Ride This eBike Without Wearing TWO INCH Platform Boots? Still a little high but YES, I can ride without two inch platform boots on, but still on my toes. I love the seat, but because of my vertical challenges I am likely going to swap it out for a lower seat.
Cable Control: Up there with the best
Handlebar Grips: Silicone? Perfect. I love this grip.
Sound: On a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being a Sur Ron, I'd say the Nitro is at a 1 - even with the fatties. At higher speeds, sound goes up - maybe 2.5.
Ride-ability: Of course this is relative to one's body size, but for me it is perfect. I feel like I am riding the bike and not the other way around.
Suspension: At stock it is a soft ride. You hardly feel the bounce.
Vibe: Sophisticated design, yet unassuming because of its size. Worth trying to take it with you into a building. The headlight is a head turner and the wow factor though. Throw a jacket over the deck and lamp and go into your office for the day with your eBike at your side. Turn off the power at the battery with the key and/or make sure that the red button is in the out position.

Things that I don't love about the Nitro
Handlebars -
Complaining about the handlebars. The handlebar stretch feels a little wide - it feels wider than the handlebar v stretch/distance on my RadRunner Plus and on my Rize, Liberty - and neither of those bikes are small. Note: I have not measured the different sizes or even know how to size handlebars.

Body position = forward. On the other hand, am I mistaking the cause of my body positioning on the handlebar when the positioning of the body begins at the angle of the fork? The body posture is slightly forward and puts pressure on the wrists. Stem - "VoltBike is using Promax MA-570 with adjustable angle 35° - 145°. 108mm extension with bar bore 31.8mm." How relative is the stem and fork angle?

Unexpected colours in the design - This is not an all-black bike as shown in on the website

No Turn Signals: Come on man . . . the metal plate at the brake light graciously supports a set. Go a step further and include a set as an accessory option to purchase: signal lights/front and rear.

Customer Service: Community videos - Maintenance Videos. Nothing yet on the Nitro. Looking for demos on this particular Display - is it the same as the Mariner? Who knows?

Battery Readout on the Display: No wattage. Bars only.

Things that I love about Voltbike

Hand built in-store: "Currently, we have all of these bikes in stock, they are ready to be built and delivered to new VoltBike owners. Each bike is individually assembled and tuned-up. This process takes around 2-3 days."

Things that I DON'T love about Voltbike
Customer Service Experience
- September 19, 2022.

BAD. Issue: Online Website Purchase made. 50.00 item. No product in stock. They sent me the wrong product. Would not refund. Gave me a store credit. Then sent me the wrong item.

Things to know about the Nitro
Hills - It's a 500w motor. - expect to peddle. I have not yet tweaked the controls.
Forks - 135mm dropout. 32mm stanchions.
Battery Charging Port - Port closure/door does not line up and will not close. Port remains open.

Things that surprise me about the Nitro
no bell
the white reflective tire rings enhance the overall look of the bike
the website photo shows an all black eBike with white lettered logo. Not so in this edition
great suspension

<*><*><*><*><*>*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>*><*>*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>*><*>*><*><*><*><*><*>

Conditioning the Battery:
First charge:
First 10 hour charge today
Second charge: Second 10 hour charge done
Third Charge: Third and final done
On the last ride this morning I noticed that the battery drained quickly. I lost two bars within an hour. I have to find out if I can get a wattage read-out on the display. Keep an eye on this battery for any issues.

<*><*><*><*><*>*><*>*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*><*>*><*>*><*><*><*><*><*>

Last edited:
Do Today: Ride to empty out the battery for the second charge.
Handlebars: Shoulders down, elbows bent, upper body relaxed.
Registration Number: Noted in journal
Tighten Bolts: Went around and checked for loose bolts. Found none.
Mirror: Complementary gift from Voltbike installed. Nitro looks odd with only one mirror. I have ordered another one for the right side.
Update: Aug. 28th. Hold the phone and shut the door. This is my favorite ebike mirror of all of the mirrors that I've wasted money on. The real thing. They don't have to stick up like mouse ears. You can position them forward and then curve the mirror on an angle - and they stay put. And they swing around and fold inward, which is important for tight area maneuvers. Joy. I'll re-order for my other ebikes as needed. Update: September 10, 2022 - lovely mirror, for the LEFT side only!
Security: I'll order a remote alarm for the Nitro. All of my ebikes share the same locks except the remote alarm, which each ebike has separately. Shared locks include a utook foldup lock, a roll-up lock, and a brake rotor type lock. They all get put on together. Time consumers; security locks and weather gear = leave early to be on time.

Sidebar: The Nitro Plus looks like a RadRunner

✨Bling: Air Valve Cap Covers. Silicone/resin hand-poured black diamond with gold flecks. I had them on another ebike, but they look better on the Nitro because the length of the air valve stem is shorter on this ebike. These ones were bought from San Diego Choppers. I've just gathered the supplies to start pouring my own brand of air valve caps to sell. Maybe by Christmas I'll have a good sample.

Last edited:
Body position, slightly forward, I'd say. BMX style? Likely the angle of the forks.
🍥Update: August 30, 2022. I've noticed that on faster rides a more aggressive forward position works best for maneuvering around obstacles, climbing, and doing technical controls, that's when the Nitro really shines.

So far the seat feels comfy. I still want to replace it, but I'm not in a hurry. This is the type of seat that I am looking for: Michael Blast Outsider

Last edited:
20220829_160412.jpg

The suede pouch at the handlebars contain the tools that the ebike shipped with. This ebike will be ridden in all weather conditions as it's a vehicle replacement. It'll be swapped out with my other ebikes depending on what my day looks like. Location: Pacific Northwest, BC, Canada.

Attachments

• 20220829_152526.jpg
    20220829_152526.jpg
    568.9 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
September 2nd, 2022

The kickstand broke.
A section of the kickstand came apart and fell off somewhere.
Rode around this morning trying to find it, but no luck yet.
My first customer service ticket as been initiated.

Last edited:
Not my cup of tea, but I could see a bike like this being a good choice for a couple of my family members.

Any chance of a side by side pic with a Radrunner to get an idea of size? (I think you still have a RR also?)

Not my cup of tea, but I could see a bike like this being a good choice for a couple of my family members.

Any chance of a side by side pic with a Radrunner to get an idea of size? (I think you still have a RR also?)
My kickstand is broken right now, so it may be a little tricky. But I will figure it out and post a pic for you.
Maybe while I am at it, I could do the same next to the Rize Liberty. But for the moment, the Nitro is leaning against a wall for support.
I will give it a try. Lousy indoor photos coming - good outdoor pictures later when I get things fixed.

Last edited:
20220903_105831.jpg

The frame may not be larger. The Fork and handlebar differences may be what is causing me to feel the Nitro as smaller. The handlebars on the Runner Plus feel higher, and the sitting position feels to me, almost poker straight. Buyers have expressed different opinions about the sitting position on the RRunner Plus. It's quite different.

Last edited:
Did the kickstand break or did the bottom part just work loose and fall off? I know there's little to no practical difference, but if the bottom part fell off, it can serve as a lesson to check the tightness of the screw that holds it on. Maybe add some thread locker to the threads when you put the new one on.

That bottom piece, as you probably know, is adjustable so that you can adjust the lean of your bike to account for extra weight, like from baskets or panniers, etc.

If customer service is slow, or whatever, you can probably pick up a new kickstand at an LBS, Amazon, or even Walmart. At the very least, something that would work until you get exactly what you want.

TT

Last edited:
Did the kickstand break or did the bottom part just work loose and fall off? I know there's little to no practical difference, but if the bottom part fell off, it can serve as a lesson to check the tightness of the screw that holds it on. Maybe add some thread locker to the threads when you put the new one on.

That bottom piece, as you probably know, is adjustable so that you can adjust the lean of your bike to account for extra weight, like from baskets or panniers, etc.

If customer service is slow, or whatever, you can probably pick up a new kickstand and an LBS, Amazon, or even Walmart. At the very least, something that would work until you get exactly what you want.

TT
The bottom part flew off, the top part is still attached to the bike. Photo to come.

Random search, not related to any of my ebikes.

1. Fork Materials - Chromoly

2. Steer tube Length
The fork height determines the front ride height of the bike.
A taller fork height would decrease the head tube angle = a more relaxed steering position
The shorter the fork the quicker the steering feel
315mm fork height is common with manufacturers
Different size wheels will require a different fork height
160mm - 180mm common for steer tube length
The longer the steer tube the heavier the fork

3. Offset/rake
Distance between the front axle and the centre of the fork leg
The shorter the fork off-set the closer the front wheel is to the rider and the rest of the bike.

4. Dropouts - common sizes
3/8 inch
14mm
20mm (race)
Size needs to match axle size of front hub.
eg. axle size 3/8 inch = use a 3/8 drop out fork.

Last edited:
20220903_105534.jpg

The Michael Blast, Outsider and the Nitro both *feel* smaller and compact/shorter in length, than my RadRunner Plus and Rize, Liberty.

The Outsider is my lightest ebike and it's also the easiest to pedal, however, it's still a little high and without platform boots I don't touch ground.
I've been using the Outsider as my sole work bike for about a month, maybe longer now. This is because of the length of time that it takes to locate tubes and have them shipped to me when the garage that I'm working with doesn't have my tire size in stock. I've started a tire tube collection as a result of wading through long searches for product, and then waiting through long shipping times this summer.

Some of MB's ebikes look like T4B's frames (Outsider, Soda, etc.). This compact look is my preferred frame design and the smaller versions are most practical for my life-style (in-door maneuvers, elevators, tight spaces, switchbacks, quick short turns), and handleability for my size. This frame design is also aesthetically pleasing to me.

In the meantime, I still search for a (non-ceiling type) hoist.

Short rider handleability for my fleet
Dimensions +VB, Nitro 280lbs capMB, Outsider 260lbs capRPB, RR+ 300lbs capR, Liberty - 300lbs cap
Length66"65"71.5"69"
Seat Height to pedal stroke32"37.5"31"
Handlebar Height41" - 43"45.75" - 47.25"45"
*Handlebar Reach*17"3" back/forward adjust.15.5"
Stand Over Height23"
Weight80lbs50lbs77lbs83lbs

Last edited:

Voltbike Hamster <[email protected]>​

Sat, 3 Sept, 09:44 Reply
to me

Hello G,
Sorry to hear about the kickstand breaking off. I checked our parts inventory and we're out of the direct replacement kickstand for this bike. Would it be possible for you to check in with us in a week or two, as we are in the process of receiving many parts, and I'm hoping we'll have these Short Kickstands back in stock soon for you.

Thank you,

Jason T Customer Relations, Voltbike Electric Inc.
1-800-350-4840 | www.voltbike.com | facebook.com/voltbikes

Last edited:
Back