~50 lbs, full featured Watt Wagons City Commuter! Class 3 with throttle, $3199, optional electronic shifting, shipping July !

I guess that's my point. Some people ride irresponsibly and they would be dangerous to others. No different than someone driving a high end sports car in an irresponsible manner.

very similar to the "BABE"
m600
gates belt
sturmey archer 5spd.
it seems to be a good combination.

Yup. Thanks 🙏

We want to build around easily available parts. Long term Future part support is a critical requirement for anything we churn out.

After checking out the Luna support thread for the BABE a while back I got the impression folks weren't so enamored by the Sturney Archer. Pehaps it just wasn't a good pairing with the components Luna used.

After checking out the Luna support thread for the BABE a while back I got the impression folks weren't so enamored by the Sturney Archer. Pehaps it just wasn't a good pairing with the components Luna used.

Hmm.. I didn't realize Luna also picked the SA 5 speed! that's funny! For us it is 1/2 lb lighter than the shimano manual shifting version, so we went with SA as the default option.

Shimano 5 speed electronic shifting adds nearly 2-3 lb more to the bike weight (more cables, battery weight etc, so it is an upgrade option).

What was the issue with SA? Link please.

Here is the support thread. Just didn't seem people liked how it shifted and some of the strange noises but maybe it's just a matter of getting used to things:

That motor is impressive but it's not for me. I'd never want to go that fast. Roughly 25-30 mph is fast enough for me. That motor is so powerful that I'd actually be afraid of riding near people who have that on their bike. Someone riding that recklessly or losing control could take you out when you're riding. I certainly would be a bit nervous around someone who is riding with that kind of power.
Available speed, does not mean you need to use it as with every automobile sold, you have to use an appropriate speed for the current conditions and situation. That motor sounds like a dream to me, loads of torque and speed when needed, and unbelievably light weight.

You don't have to use the power, but unlike a car where you just back off on a bike you have to ride with that extra weight. You notice that extra weight in the bike's handling. Bigger motor means bigger battery so you end up adding say an extra 5-8 lbs. On a bike that is noticeable. It might be light for the power it puts out, but it's still almost an 8 lb. motor. If I'm not going to use that power I would rather the bike be lighter.

I understand why others like yourself might like it, but it's still not for me. I'd rather have a lighter and better handling bike.

Hmm.. that is ... interesting. I am going to ask a couple of early pre-release customers to test more. I will also do more climbs on our test rig to see if I can re-produce any of these.

Luna also doesn't seem to think it can handle more than the stock power of the M600 as they won't offer the higher powered controller. It will be interesting to see how the Warthog fares pairing the Sturney Archer with the Ultra. 🤣

Yikes. I can replicate the jumping it if I do offroad only ... like grass, throttle up a 30% incline, max assist and highest gear. It is not terrible but not ideal.

Also - Looks like that amount of stress damaged the hub, and now I can replicate it even at at lower assist. Clearly not ideal. I did not see that issue on Shimano Nexus 5 speed (thats the other hub)

I am switching to Shimano SG-C7000-5D for the base config. It adds a wee bit more weight (right around 51lb) but definitely no issues on those. Still within the spec without a lot of compromises.

THANK YOU for highlighting this. Clearly i missed testing this specific scenario.

I will post pics of the electronic shifting of my test rig after i clean up the bike a bit. Hopefully by the weekend.

Last edited:
I just offer free advice, like not staring directly at the sun. Half the time I probably don't know what I'm talking about though.
Man... seriously.. happy path testing, light off road.. everything worked. When i tried this one random stress test, it actually broke. Ugh.
I have updated the post to reflect updated spec.

You guys just saved me hours of headaches and bad reviews. Thanks!

Luna also doesn't seem to think it can handle more than the stock power of the M600 as they won't offer the higher powered controller. It will be interesting to see how the Warthog fares pairing the Sturney Archer with the Ultra. 🤣

If I can break it with 500W nominal and going up an include with throttle, the ultra will shred it in no time.

I confess, my "babe"s hub does this and I back off. it doesn't seem to have permanent damage. I can work with it, but it is not ideal in a new bike. if I knew you were building this I would not have bought the babe, and I would have let you know sooner. I saw IGH, belt, throttle, bluto fork, and I spent the money I would otherwise have laid down as a deposit on the superbike. I still like the bike. I can work with the hub as it is, but would happily swap out the rear hub.

and, CLEARLY, I have TOO many bikes.

Back