~50 lbs, full featured Watt Wagons City Commuter! Class 3 with throttle, $3199, optional electronic shifting, shipping July !

You have too many bikes? Doesn't that describe almost everyone here?

For sure! I call it the disease of N+1... far more dangerous than COVID-19. ;)

Actually, I am now thinning the herd and selling a few acoustic bikes as the Pandemic has created a Bike Boom locally.

Last edited:
Short hills was our use case for SFO terrain btw.. :)

I know this is a commuter bike, but here in the Bay Area we've got some major on-road climbs. I assume you've seen the movie Bullit?

Here's the ride my wife and I did on Mother's Day. Almost 3000' feet of elevation gain over 28.6 miles. 12% max grade actually isn't too steep.

We've done this ride previously. 42 miles, up to 15% grade, over 4900' feet of elevation gain. You can see from the pictures why we do rides like these.

Commuting in SF could mean tackling hills like these: https://blog.sfgate.com/bicycle/2011/06/26/riding-the-seven-hells-of-san-francisco/ (Yeah, that's 7 "hills" in one ride!). Some of those get up to 30% grade! The sidewalks have steps molded into them they're so steep.

The overall design consideration was total weight (~50 lbs). For city riding, we are assuming folks are not lugging around 50-60 lbs of cargo. Notice that the 210lb limit does not include the weight of the second battery. So you can do 235lbs with single battery no problem. I wanted to be clear about what is ideal maxed out weight with the second battery included. I will add that note / clarification to the 210 limit.

Does that help ? Clearly I am not good at marketing. 😂
Thanks for the explanation, and just to be clear it's not your fault that people have gotten so heavy. It's always interesting to see folks spending tons of effort to make their bike a few grams lighter when the best way to lower total weight is to take a few pounds off their body weight.

Yikes. I can replicate the jumping it if I do offroad only ... like grass, throttle up a 30% incline, max assist and highest gear. It is not terrible but not ideal.

Also - Looks like that amount of stress damaged the hub, and now I can replicate it even at at lower assist. Clearly not ideal. I did not see that issue on Shimano Nexus 5 speed (thats the other hub)

I am switching to Shimano SG-C7000-5D for the base config. It adds a wee bit more weight (right around 51lb) but definitely no issues on those. Still within the spec without a lot of compromises.

THANK YOU for highlighting this. Clearly i missed testing this specific scenario.

I will post pics of the electronic shifting of my test rig after i clean up the bike a bit. Hopefully by the weekend.
I am bloody impressed, Pushkar! One random test failure (in an unlikely city commute scenario) and you're switching componentry to maintain quality and customer service. This is yet another example of why I chose Watt Wagons, the Superbike, and most importantly, you!

The product quality will be there, no doubt, but people buy from people, and your service and committment to your customers is simply outstanding! Well done (and thank you to the members of this forum that guided me here and continue to make this experience great)!

I am bloody impressed, Pushkar! One random test failure (in an unlikely city commute scenario) and you're switching componentry to maintain quality and customer service. This is yet another example of why I chose Watt Wagons, the Superbike, and most importantly, you!

The product quality will be there, no doubt, but people buy from people, and your service and committment to your customers is simply outstanding! Well done (and thank you to the members of this forum that guided me here and continue to make this experience great)!

I appreciate this bud. My goal is to offer things that just work. This incident also highlighted that WW customers are super-focused on helping me keep the quality top-notch for every offering.

I am extremely grateful and thankful for everyone's inputs. I will continue to test edge cases over the coming weeks (prior to launch).

Added a picture of the white version with dual batteries.

7711590109055_.pic_hd.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 9.03.44 PM.png

I only have 3 bikes, and my manual bike is out of commission. However, there are a few segways, EUCs, and even a scooter around here somewhere.

Last edited:
Added a picture of the white version with dual batteries.

definitely not as nice looking with that extra battery, but way better than having to carry the battery and do a swap. Hopefully the rack is easily replaced with something like the Super-Tourist (disc).

definitely not as nice looking with that extra battery, but way better than having to carry the battery and do a swap. Hopefully the rack is easily replaced with something like the Super-Tourist (disc).

Yup. YOu can swap out the racks - no problem. The samples dont have additional rack mounts on the chainstays - but production version will have those.

Is that the WWW (watt wagons warehouse)? I think it looks more balanced with the spare battery. Wrap it with something else and I think it might even be disguised to look like a bag or something.

Back