~50 lbs, full featured Watt Wagons City Commuter! Class 3 with throttle, $3199, optional electronic shifting, shipping July !

pushkar

Hey everyone, I am happy to announce a brand new addition to the Watt Wagons family - the incredible City Commuter - a full featured ebike built for city commuting, includes battery, fenders, rack, front and rear lights, carbon fork, carbon handlebar, AND kickstand at right around 50 lbs! I will be posting this on the site soon - just wanted to get this done quickly.

Typically a 'lightweight' bike means you can only pick 2 of the three - power, range, weight. Designed with the inputs of consumers from a certain fruit company in California, we are extremely proud to bring to you a lightweight, complete Class 3 ebike, with throttle, and incredible performance at around ~23kg / 50lbs. We even managed to put a kickstand on it :)

The primary goals were the following:

1. Riders should be able to easily carry it up a flight of stairs (in my case 2 flights), has low profile, and easy to store in limited indoor spaces (small apartments, dorms etc)
2. Take it on trains (Caltrain has a bike weight limit of 50 lbs), and be able to do the super steep SFO style roads very comfortably (emphasis on very)
3. Make it FUN. No trade off range or motor power
4. Have a throttle in case you need it. This is sorely lacking in most city bikes.
5. Edge case - you are in a pinch, the bike is dual battery compatible. So if you happen to fancy a long ride / spur of the moment decision, just add the second pack and nearly 100 miles.
6. Add all features of an ebike and make it ~50lbs

You can find ebikes with low power, and low battery capacity starting 39 lbs - 45 lbs. Add fenders, rack, front / rear lights, and you are at 45 - 52lbs fully loaded. However they do not have enough power, or range to be anything more than a short range commuter (10-12 miles). Users cannot ride on steep hills / somewhat challenging urban terrain, and cant do anything more sophisticated than basic commuting. Most are also restricted to 20mph and you reaaaaaaally need to push yourself to get in the high 20s, and cannot sustain that for longer than a couple of minutes.

Here are the highlights of the City Commuter

1. Bafang M600, 11.6ah 48V pack
2. 30-35 miles range with Pedal assist
3. Sturmey Archer Shimano G-C7000-5D 5 speed IGH, Belt drive, Throttle
4. Carbon rigid fork. 27.5x2.1 tires. We can swap out for 700C tires
5. Carbon handlebar
6. Carbon Seatpost
7. Hydraulic Dual Piston brakes, 180mm
8. Nice, smooth welds - (double, sanded down)
9. SR Ergonomic Saddle and Grips.
10. Adjustable stem!! (Satori).
11. Most light / fenders / rack are OE ( no branding but some fairly big brand name bikes use them now).

Max Weight : 210lb, Rider + cargo weight
Frame sizes : M (~50lb), L (~52 lb), XL (~54 lb),
Frame style : Regular and Mixte
Colors: Gloss Black, Pearl White

Options
1. Electronic shifting (Shimano 5 speed) for + $400. Available in August 2020 (waiting for inventory).
2. Dual battery (goes on seat tube) (+ $650 for 880Wh, +$850 for 1100wh)

Rear (processed).png

Right (provcessed).png

Side (processed).png

Screen Shot 2020-05-21 at 9.03.44 PM.png

Last edited:
Wow. ‘Light’, range and performance. Holy trifecta. Impressive.

This checks a lot of boxes for me.

Do you have the picture of the white ? Where is your logo ?

Nice features. Is the front of the rear fender load bearing? I am trying to figure out where the load on the front of the pannier rack goes.

Nice bike, Pushkar. It's nice to see someone sanding down the welds. For some reason showing a lot of welding seems to be in vogue for some bike companies.

Curious about the lower rider/cargo weight restriction. What part or design feature limits the capacity?

Curious about the lower rider/cargo weight restriction. What part or design feature limits the capacity?

For city commuter we use standard thickness aluminum tubing (this is what you get on all standard bikes you see in the market tbh) - those are limited to max of 100 kg or 220lb. Some may be slightly better by 10% but not by much.

On the UCPro we use reinforced aluminum (essentially thicker) tubing across the board that gives us over 150kg (~350 lb) load capacity.

First of all congrats on the new offering.

Several questions:

1. Are you using the Shimano ebike igh or sturmey archer? Since you mention Shimano I don't think its eshifting would work with sturmey archer. 5 speed hubs seem to be reliable but their range is limited. I wish the rage was over %350 instead of the %267 but for city it should be enough.

2. Why not a mid step ? I think mid step would have been better for city riding.

3. Although a nice addition, I am not a fan of carbon on heavier bikes. I don't find them bringing much in terms of comfort. My real concern would be carbon seat post, you may have saved some weight but it is at the expense of adding a fragile component.

4. I was wondering what is a reasonable power you can continuously sustain on M600? Is it significantly more than a mainstream offering like bosch? How smooth does M600 operate?

Good luck with the new offering.

For city commuter we use standard thickness aluminum tubing (this is what you get on all standard bikes you see in the market tbh) - those are limited to max of 100 kg or 220lb. Some may be slightly better by 10% but not by much.

On the UCPro we use reinforced aluminum (essentially thicker) tubing across the board that gives us over 150kg (~350 lb) load capacity.
I ride a 2016 Haibike Trekking XDURO S RX. It is rated for 242 pounds.

Last edited:
Hey everyone, I am happy to announce a brand new addition to the Watt Wagons family - the incredible City Commuter - a full featured ebike built for city commuting, includes battery, fenders, rack, front and rear lights, carbon fork, carbon handlebar, AND kickstand at right around 50 lbs! I will be posting this on the site soon - just wanted to get this done quickly.

Typically a 'lightweight' bike means you can only pick 2 of the three - power, range, weight. Designed with the inputs of consumers from a certain fruit company in California, we are extremely proud to bring to you a lightweight, complete Class 3 ebike, with throttle, and incredible performance at around ~23kg / 50lbs. We even managed to put a kickstand on it :)

The primary goals were the following:

1. Riders should be able to easily carry it up a flight of stairs (in my case 2 flights), has low profile, and easy to store in limited indoor spaces (small apartments, dorms etc)
2. Take it on trains (Caltrain has a bike weight limit of 50 lbs), and be able to do the super steep SFO style roads very comfortably (emphasis on very)
3. Make it FUN. No trade off range or motor power
4. Have a throttle in case you need it. This is sorely lacking in most city bikes.
5. Edge case - you are in a pinch, the bike is dual battery compatible. So if you happen to fancy a long ride / spur of the moment decision, just add the second pack and nearly 100 miles.
6. Add all features of an ebike and make it ~50lbs

You can find ebikes with low power, and low battery capacity starting 39 lbs - 45 lbs. Add fenders, rack, front / rear lights, and you are at 45 - 52lbs fully loaded. However they do not have enough power, or range to be anything more than a short range commuter (10-12 miles). Users cannot ride on steep hills / somewhat challenging urban terrain, and cant do anything more sophisticated than basic commuting. Most are also restricted to 20mph and you reaaaaaaally need to push yourself to get in the high 20s, and cannot sustain that for longer than a couple of minutes.

Here are the highlights of the City Commuter

1. Bafang M600, 11.6ah 48V pack
2. 30-35 miles range with Pedal assist
3. Sturmey Archer 5 speed IGH, Belt drive, Throttle
4. Carbon rigid fork. 27.5x2.1 tires. We can swap out for 700C tires
5. Carbon handlebar
6. Carbon Seatpost
7. Hydraulic Dual Piston brakes, 180mm
8. Nice, smooth welds - (double, sanded down)
9. SR Ergonomic Saddle and Grips.
10. Adjustable stem!! (Satori).
11. Most light / fenders / rack are OE ( no branding but some fairly big brand name bikes use them now).

Max Weight : 210lb, Rider + cargo weight
Frame sizes : M (~50lb), L (~52 lb), XL (~54 lb),
Frame style : Regular and Mixte
Colors: Gloss Black, Pearl White

Options
1. Electronic shifting (Shimano 5 speed) for + $400. Available in August 2020 (waiting for inventory).
2. Dual battery (goes on seat tube) (+ $650 for 880Wh, +$850 for 1100wh)

View attachment 52872

View attachment 52873

View attachment 52874

Pushkar, I really like the integrated battery design in addition to the other premium features... well done!

First of all congrats on the new offering.

Several questions:

1. Are you using the Shimano ebike igh or sturmey archer? Since you mention Shimano I don't think its eshifting would work with sturmey archer. 5 speed hubs seem to be reliable but their range is limited. I wish the rage was over %350 instead of the %267 but for city it should be enough.

2. Why not a mid step ? I think mid step would have been better for city riding.

3. Although a nice addition, I am not a fan of carbon on heavier bikes. I don't find them bringing much in terms of comfort. My real concern would be carbon seat post, you may have saved some weight but it is at the expense of adding a fragile component.

4. I was wondering what is a reasonable power you can continuously sustain on M600? Is it significantly more than a mainstream offering like bosch? How smooth does M600 operate?

Good luck with the new offering.
Thanks.
1. Sturmey archer 5 speed is the default igh. You can upgrade to Shimano 5 speEd electronic shifting.
2. We have regular and Mixte versions of the bike. We needed clearance for dual battery and couldn’t do a classic mid step.
3. The seat post is pretty sturdy. We are using an OEM version of a fairly well known brand for cost reasons. Ditto for front fork. We are not rating the bike for super heavy loads and feel comfortable that these are well within the design limits of current carbon tech.

4. M600 is very versatile and can sustain 600-700w continuous for extended period of time. Peak is around 900w. The motor is smoother than most Bafang stock offerings. We will offer even better / smoother performance with new firmware upgrades later in the year.

Does this bike use the new Archon controller or is it stock Bafang controller with custom firmware?

If you get 30-35 miles on stock battery, does that mean the 2nd battery provides 70 additional miles?

What happened to the superbike? I thought that was the next model in line. It feels like this bike took cuts in line....😞😒:rolleyes:😋🙂😁

Does this bike use the new Archon controller or is it stock Bafang controller with custom firmware?
Right now it’s stock Bafang controller. Archon on m600 is in the works but probably 2021. Protocol Change from UART to CAN , so not compatible right now.

Back