New additions to Kathmandu EXC

Comfortably Numb

For what it's worth, if anyone is interested, I received my Redshift Shockstop seat post and Arkel Orca 45 panniers this week and got them on.
I would like to use the hook attachment on the Arkel but my CUBE does not have location for it. I am going to use a couple of zip straps for it to hang on to. On an initial zip around the place the Redshift seems great. No bob and lots of travel. FYI, I did add the 2nd spring for additional stiffness. I am currently about 20 -ish pounds above my normal playing weight. CN

tempImageWFgB5C.jpg

That is odd because the photos your bike on the web show it with a lower rail specificially so that you can carry both panneirs and a trunk bag. My first ebike was a 2017 Cube Hybrid EXC 500 that featured the same lower pannier rails the sit below and outboard of the upper deck that holds a trunk bag. Is your rack different that the one pictured here?

448350_light_zoom.jpg

That is odd because the photos your bike on the web show it with a lower rail specificially so that you can carry both panneirs and a trunk bag. My first ebike was a 2017 Cube Hybrid EXC 500 that featured the same lower pannier rails the sit below and outboard of the upper deck that holds a trunk bag. Is your rack different that the one pictured here?

View attachment 87363
I'll have to look. I do have the bag on the upper rail right now. My pic may be a bit deceiving. I think I could get a tail bag on with the bags on the upper rail, of course depending on how the tail bag mounts.
I'll get back to you. CN

Your pic makes it impossible to see the rack and if it has the lower rail I pointed out in the picture. I am not familiar with the Arkel panniers. The Ortlieb panniers I used on my Cube required that I move the hanging hooks closer together such that they each fit at either end of the smaller lower rail that specifically accepts panniers.

View attachment 87363

This "older" style of rack is available for sale from Cube. I'm thinking about replacing my 2021 one that has no lower rail with that.

This is the rack shown on the Cube website for the Kathmandu EXC. If yours does not match this, the racktime upper deck and lower pannier rail set up is bolted to the welded on rack frame. If it can be ordered from Cube and installed on your existing rack, it would be the best solutions. After owning a Cube with the lower pannier rail feature, I actually modified the existing rack on my next bike to incorporate that feature, I liked it so much.

448350_D3.jpg

This is the rack on my RIese & Muller Nevo with lower pannier rail I added on using aluminum rod, battery terminals, bolted to the rail and seat tube.
20180725_063624.jpg

Little bit of an update.....The Arkel bags have a plastic plate backing at the the bottom of the bags on the bike side. This backing is held on with screws that two of them on each bag made contact with my frame. It would just be a matter of time before it removed the paint. (it did in one place before I caught it....a small application with a black Sharpie remedied this)
I bought 6 nylon washers from Home Depot and re-used the same screws to attach them. The washers sit proud of the screw heads to prevent contact. I also filled the washers with clear silicone caulk to create bumps, so now the silicone hits the frame first. I figure that ought to do it.
I figure I'm not the only one. Arkel should have some sort of soft rubber snubber over the screws to prevent the heads from making contact.
CN

For what it's worth, if anyone is interested, I received my Redshift Shockstop seat post and Arkel Orca 45 panniers this week and got them on.
I would like to use the hook attachment on the Arkel but my CUBE does not have location for it. I am going to use a couple of zip straps for it to hang on to. On an initial zip around the place the Redshift seems great. No bob and lots of travel. FYI, I did add the 2nd spring for additional stiffness. I am currently about 20 -ish pounds above my normal playing weight. CN

View attachment 87359
like you, I have purchased Arkel bags and had the same issue with the bottom hook. I solved the issue by making some brackets out of fiber reinforced nylon and some stainless steel screws. There is no modification or holes on the frame. Here are the pictures. (Sorry, I can’t understand why they are rotated 90 degrees left, my pictures are ok)
BC645653-9301-483E-971A-1FA83D96E46A.jpeg
F7ACF64C-A3E3-41F8-8BA5-B5164DCB8297.jpeg

Nice job! I see you have your bags back further than I have mine. I have my lousy zip-tie solution in the Vee between the two drops. I think I'll see if I can whip up something like you did. Looks great. CN

This "older" style of rack is available for sale from Cube. I'm thinking about replacing my 2021 one that has no lower rail with that.
Do you have a link to where I can get the older style. I have the 2021 as well and can only fit either trunk bag or panniers but not both. I don’t understand why they replaced the older one, it is much more versatile.

Do you have a link to where I can get the older style. I have the 2021 as well and can only fit either trunk bag or panniers but not both. I don’t understand why they replaced the older one, it is much more versatile.
I am sorry, I missed the notification of your message!

Here you are, from one of the biggest and most respected German stores.

I am sorry, I missed the notification of your message!

Here you are, from one of the biggest and most respected German stores.
Brilliant, thank you.

Back