Need to choose hub compatible with Civante speed sensor

Tantalus

Region
USA
I am looking to build a new wheel set for my new Civante. I will need a CLD 12 x 142 hub that is "grooved" on the left side, otherwise the speed sensor will not lock into place etc. (I have already tried to install the sensor an another wheel without the groove and it does not work)
E43AAD85-B7B8-418F-A546-9E22929A803A.jpeg
35E82769-68EA-4284-AA37-1008A5803881.jpeg

No - but now I do! Thanks.
From the parts manual on page 7, these are the little plastic parts that fit to the "grooved" hub:

X1M-8352Y Magnet Comp.
X1M-8557-00 Holder

I still need a new hub that will work with these parts

When you say grooved do you mean the flange at the end of the hub assembly on the off-drive (left) side? You're probably best off just getting that hub which is part # X1M–F5310–10 on the same page.

Yes, I will probably have to buy the OEM hub like your say. It seems to be a proprietary system. Bummer!

FYI - here are the parts in questionand how they fit together L to R - flange, locking, magnet and holder (rotor not pictured)
4502D3BE-9FC8-4505-A67E-E682A755595B.jpeg

Can we buy these parts online? Or do we need to go through a bike shop?
Googling appears to show you can buy them online, but the 3-year Yamaha Bikes warranty is long for an ebike, they have not been selling ebikes long enough in the US for any of their ebikes to be out of the warranty period. You would need to contact Yamaha to find out if you swap out parts yourself what effect that might have on the warranty. For the OP I suggest he could just swap back in the original wheel set before taking it to the shop, but item #2 the general exclusions clause appears to accept it’s OK to mod the bike provided you replace with OEM genuine Yamaha parts like the Yamaha hub assembly he needs.

Last edited:
Googling appears to show you can buy them online, but the 3-year Yamaha Bikes warranty is long for an ebike, they have not been selling ebikes long enough in the US for any of their ebikes to be out of the warranty period. You would need to contact Yamaha to find out if you swap out parts yourself what effect that might have on the warranty. For the OP I suggest he could just swap back in the original wheel set before taking it to the shop, bit item #2 the general exclusions clause appears to accept it’s OK to mod the bike provided you replace with OEM genuine Yamaha parts like the Yamaha hub assembly
The handlebar plug on the end came off while on a ride so I wanted to replace it. Thanks Dewey

Last edited:
Still no word on the sensor parts or the hub itself from dealer/Yamaha. No, I do not believe the GRX hub is our OEM hub because the end cap does not have a groove. The sensor may slide on, but it will be not be locked in place. But who knows it may work that way? The DT Swiss hub looks to have a "ramped groove" that may or may not work. Maybe you could buy one and see if it works?

Still no word on the sensor parts or the hub itself from dealer/Yamaha. No, I do not believe the GRX hub is our OEM hub because the end cap does not have a groove. The sensor may slide on, but it will be not be locked in place. But who knows it may work that way? The DT Swiss hub looks to have a "ramped groove" that may or may not work. Maybe you could buy one and see if it works?
I called Yamaha yesterday to find out about compatible wheels. They’re going to call me today after they do some research. I’ll make sure to ask about the grooved end cap for the speed sensor. Do you think I could take the DT Swiss rims to a bike shop and have them install the Yamaha hub on the Swiss rims? They replace spokes all the time, right? Couldn’t they just undo the Swiss rims to install our hub?

Yes, I will probably have to buy the OEM hub like your say. It seems to be a proprietary system. Bummer!

FYI - here are the parts in questionand how they fit together L to R - flange, locking, magnet and holder (rotor not pictured)View attachment 76687
I appreciate you taking the time to post your experience! I’m also wanting to get new wheels (HE1800 DT Swiss). I do know the hub speed sensor IS patented by Yamaha. The placement of the sensor on the hub is what gives Yamaha bikes the Zero Cadence support. I do hope we can find a way to get new wheels though. I do appreciate the Zero Cadence tech when I’m going slow up a steep hill or on quick stop-and-go situations. I guess there has to be compromises for this tech vs having more lag to have a universal sensor.

Yamaha Zero cadence support with 2 freewheels​

Most mid-drive motors (like the Bosch) have just one freewheel, this is used for pedaling without turning the motor. With just a single freewheel, the motor can never drive the rear wheel without the pedals turning, this requires an extra freewheel.

The Yamaha has 2 freewheels, so we can do both:
  • Pedaling without turning the motor
  • The motor can drive the rear wheel without the pedals turning

Last edited:
When you say grooved do you mean the flange at the end of the hub assembly on the off-drive (left) side? You're probably best off just getting that hub which is part # X1M–F5310–10 on the same page.
Do you think I could take DT Swiss rims (HE 1800) to a bike shop and have them install the Yamaha hub on the Swiss rims? They replace spokes all the time, right? Couldn’t they just undo the Swiss rims to install the Yamaha hub?

Do you think I could take DT Swiss rims (HE 1800) to a bike shop and have them install the Yamaha hub on the Swiss rims? They replace spokes all the time, right? Couldn’t they just undo the Swiss rims to install the Yamaha hub?
Hi, sorry I don't know about wheel building, I'd ask your bike shop.

I went to my LBS, he looked up the DT Swiss HE 1800 wheels and he said since Yamaha uses standard Hub components (12x100 front and 12x142 rear) he can just pop out DT Swiss’ flange and put in Yamaha’s so the lock fits in there for the magnet. Did he miss something? Were you not able to do that?

Hi, sorry I don't know about wheel building, I'd ask your bike shop.
I went to my LBS, he looked up the DT Swiss HE 1800 wheels I want and he said since Yamaha uses standard Hub components he can just pop out DT Swiss’ flange and put in Yamaha’s.

I went to my LBS, he looked up the DT Swiss HE 1800 wheels I want and he said since Yamaha uses standard Hub components he can just pop out DT Swiss’ flange and put in Yamaha’s.
Well that's good news. I'd still check with Yamaha that doing this won't invalidate your warranty but as you will be using a Yamaha OEM hub assembly, and given the shortages/problems in the bicycle supply chain, I sincerely hope they don't object to you using another brand rim.

Oski, did you ever get the DT wheels? Do you have any idea how much lighter they are than the stock wheels?

I went to my LBS. He looked up the DT Swiss HE 1800 wheels. He said since Yamaha uses standard Hub components (12x100 front and 12x142 rear) he can just pop out DT Swiss’ flange and put in Yamaha’s so the lock fits in there for the magnet. But I didn’t get them because I don’t want to risk voiding the 3-year warranty. I will try them once my warranty expires in 2024. The HE 1800 Spline wheels weigh 1980g for the set. I don’t know what the Yamaha wheels weigh for the set. I mainly want these wheels in hopes that they get less strained than the Yamaha wheels (because of better technology/materials used) so I can get every bit of power from the bike to help with fast speeds and steep climbs.

Attachments

• DCA5143D-163D-4170-A736-08446FF76156.jpeg
    DCA5143D-163D-4170-A736-08446FF76156.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Back