Montague Allston Conversion

nate_lynch

Hi all,

I'm looking at converting a Montague Allston and am curious what kits you all would recommend? Looking at a front hub motor and a battery that mounts on the downtube or on bottle cage bosses.

I'd like to convert the Montague Allston because:

1.) Bike storage in my building is down a steep flight of stairs, and I'd like the option to bring the bike with me on the train or subway.

2.) I hate chains so much (don't have space to do work on the bike, and hate messing around with them anyway - I know, unreasonable).

3.) It's a full size bike so it'll be less squirrely than a smaller one (am just more used to the full size).

One thing I'd love to be able to do is take the heavy e-bike parts off and on easily and ride it as a (relatively) regular bike - understanding that I can't be stripping the wires and sensors and maybe controller off every time. This isn't absolutely necessary if not possible, but would love to hear if there are options.

In terms of the stuff I've already looked at, I'm interested in the swytch kits, the unlimited kits and someone recently recommended the GRIN Technologies kits but curious if people have had luck with other ones? Or should I give up on this dream and just buy a Gocycle? Thanks a bunch for any insight!

I considered converting a Montigue myself, but didn't do it, so I can't help, but someone knowledgeble will probably jump in. The ones I saw online were earlier, and most used Bionix ? Kits. The reviews say it's about the only full sized folder that rides like a normal bike and doesn't weigh a ton.
Do you already own a Montigue? They do sell an electric version using a rear hub drive, IIRC.

Thanks @Art Deco - can I ask what you ended up doing instead? I"ve probably gotta dig into the builds/conversions forum to get a sense of whether there's a cheap kit out there, haven't heard of the Bionix ones before so will check those out too. I don't own the bike yet, trying to keep my options flexible until I've nailed down exactly what I want to get.

Forget Bionix... they are out of business. I was interested in a pair of folders to put inside my campervan, and just gave up on the folders altogether, and bought a pair of Comos instead, currently transporting them inside the van but will be putting them on a rack when it's reasonable to travel again. Totally different situation from yours.

The only LBS in my area that carries the Montigue didn't stock them and would only order with a deposit. Not for me. The reason I asked if you already had one is that I know they were selling a few electric models, with factory warranty and service, which is always a plus to me. Check out the DIY and kit section and see what the current Thinking is. Maybe just cross post your original post there. I suspect that there just isn't much action right now because of Christmas. Good luck with your project and welcome to EBR.

@nate_lynch EBR did a review on on the electric Montigue
TLDR for me since I bought Comos but it might help you

I probably have an unfounded predjudice agin front wheel conversions, having never tried one. The same
goes for stairs & subways. If I had to deal with those things, I think I´d get a folder with 20¨/16¨ whls.
most are still relatively heavy but still lighter & more compact. Otherwise, a modest kit on a light road bike?
Swytch kit looks interesting, but I really know little about it.

The only only 20 inch folder I rode for very long ( 3 hours) was stupidly heavy ... almost 70 pounds. Wouldn't want to carry that up many steps.

The only only 20 inch folder I rode for very long ( 3 hours) was stupidly heavy ... almost 70 pounds. Wouldn't want to carry that up many steps.
Maybe this guy should just get a non- electric folder. I like to hear some feedback on the Swytch kit?

Back