Gengar-094

Region
USA
Hey, everyone. I am trying to pick an ebike, but I'm struggling a lot. I live in NYC and have been thinking of getting a folding ebike, but I have been thinking about it and I might be open to a non-folding bike too. I've mainly been looking at folding bikes since I use public transport a decent bit and go on the MTA and Amtrak. My budget is about $6k, but I'm willing to go higher or lower.

I have been thinking of anything from a Brompton with this conversion kit to a full sized bike. I live in an area where pretty bad roads, so I was thinking that a Brompton with 16" wheels wouldn't be the best. Does any 20" folding bike have the small auxiliary wheels like the Brompton, though? I really like those.

I've been looking at a few different folding ebikes. In particular, the Bike Friday NWT, Blix Vika+, Carbo Model X, Luna Folding Bike, Gocycle.

My first choice was the Bike Friday NWT with the Silk upgrade which has a belt drive which I really liked. I really like the Grin batteries that they use which can be taken on planes. They're 100Wh batteries that are in parallel, so you can have as little as 100Wh or as much as you want. Their warranty, small fold size (29"x9"x34"), and low weight (under 40 lbs) is pretty nice. My only issue with them is the pretty weak front hub motor. In their configurator, they mention "Special Order Electric Assist" as an optional add-on. Does anyone know what this means? Could they replace their standard 250W throttle-less motor with something that's 500W or 750W with a throttle? It's about $4500 after some upgrades I'd want to add, which is well within my budget.

Bike Friday also this fully custom option on their website if you can't find what your're looking for. Since their bikes are custom built for each order, they can make specifically for you. Would they be able to make something that's exactly what I want? A 20" folding ebike with a stronger motor and auxiliary wheels like the Brompton so it's easily mobile when folded? That would be really great.

One concern I had with Bike Friday is that there aren't many reviews for it, particularly on here. Is there any reason that EBR hasn't reviewed any Bike Friday bikes?

The Blix Vika+ is a budget option at $1700 but it still looks pretty nice. I like the design, the 500W motor with a throttle is pretty nice, and I like the 600Wh battery. The 110 lb cargo capacity with the integrated racks is also a plus. I don't like the weight and the folding size. It's 55 lbs and is way too wide to fit in Amtrak at 36"x21"x28.5". It also doesn't have a carbon belt drive, though I'd expect that at this price point.

The Carbo Model X is the lightest folding ebike with 20" wheels that I've seen. It's just under 30lbs (though probably just over with the upgraded battery and the fenders/racks) with a really small fold. It's $3k with the battery and motor upgrades and fenders/rear rack. The issue is that the battery, even when upgraded, is under 400Wh and the upgraded motor is 350W. It does have a throttle, which is nice. It also has a carbon belt drive. My issue is that Carbo is a pretty unknown brand so I'd be worried about the quality and longevity, especially when it has a carbon frame.

The Luna Folding bike probably has the best motor out of any of the bikes I'm looking at, despite being a cheaper option. It's just under $2k with a 750W Bafang with a 624Wh battery with Samsung cells. In terms of pure specs, it's probably the best. The motor looks really good, especially at that price. It's just 38 lbs and the folded size is 16.1"x33.9" x25.6", which is pretty good, though not as good as the Carbo/Bike Friday. My issue is with support. Luna is a small company and they don't have a good warranty. They do use standard parts, which would mean that they should be pretty easy to work on. Another issue is that they don't have many accessories. So I'd need to get fenders from a different shop that fit on the bike, I'd also need to figure out if there are any racks that fit on this bike.

The Gocycle seems interesting, though I'm not sure if it's worth it. It does have really good reviews, particularly on Electric Bike Review, however I feel like it's overpriced. I was looking at the G4i with 375Wh and a 500W motor for $5k, and that's without fenders and racks. It also has a really nice folding mechanism and is 36lbs. I just am not sure if it lives up to the hype.

What do you guys think? Does anyone have advice for me? Like I said, I am thinking I might be open to non-folding bikes as well, but I'm not sure. Is the convenience of a folding bike worth it?

NYC? you want to ride a bike in NYC? What´s wrong with you? Death wish? Just kidding.
Thou art a braver man than I. Get a sturdy cheap bike you can afford to replace. I hope yur
talkin´ bout the burroughs & not Manhattan.

NYC? you want to ride a bike in NYC? What´s wrong with you? Death wish? Just kidding.
Thou art a braver man than I. Get a sturdy cheap bike you can afford to replace. I hope yur
I assume you're saying that due to fear of it being stolen? I'm from Brooklyn, but I do go to Manhattan a lot. I use a cheap Trek bike right now, but wanted to upgrade to a nicer ebike. One of the reasons I want something that can fold is so I can keep the bike with me.

I came a hairsbreath from getting a folding bike awhile ago and Brompton and Bike Friday were my top choices as well. Bike Friday is local to me so I was able to test ride their bikes (you're right the belt drives are great) and Bromptons are amazing as well. You might want to imagine your specific use cases for riding your bike before making a plunge.

Do you see yourself using it for groceries and locking it up outside or carrying it into the market? Brompton has a snazzy fold and bag that can act as a grocery cart. (I loved this, hehe). Do you live in an apartment where you'll have to carry or walk the bike upstairs? Are you going to ride along trails or city streets? Do you want to throw it in your car and drive it someplace to ride or will you be riding as a commuter? What type of commuting, bus, train, taxi or a mix? Where are going to store the bike when not in use?

I'm saying imagine how you would use the bike from the start of your day with it. Doing this really helped me in my choice. As for your motor options, maybe call around local bike shops and see if they can install your motor choice in a specific bike too. You might want to keep your eye out for builders instead of getting a specifically made "e-bike".

Also, you mentioned there are not many reviews of Bike Friday here, and it's likely because they are somewhat of a custom builder so when people get those types of bikes, the bike itself is purchased for the folding/name/carryon capacity with the motor secondary. I've a recumbent tadpole trike and many of them are now electric but there's specific forums/information sites that are specific to recumbents that offer more information. You might want to try searching specifically on folding bike forums.

There's a guy on a Facebook ebike page that has been waiting for his Carbo since April, Every so often, he posts "it's being shipped in 3 weeks!" , but he said that in July and August. It's a lot of money to save 10 pounds. That's getting like a regular bike. The Qualisports models use the same battery and are a bit heavier. However, they're avalaible,

Never heard anyone complain about a Bike Friday. If I wanted to put $$$$ into a folder, there you go. I believe they don't really fold. They come apart to fit in a suitcase.

The Luna is quite powerful, but the battery is an afterthought, They used to hang a 52V battery in a bag under the seat. I don't like what they've done with the frame battery. It's going to get damaged, and looks like one of my homebuilt folders that way.

I always dismissed Grin, because their initial offer was a direct drive motor, but now they have a geared motor that I could live with. These are designed for Bromptom's 80 mm dropout. For other folders, and if you;re willing to build a kit ala carte, they offer the Bafang G11 motors that you can order installed into a 20" rim. Then you can put Ligo's into a handlbar bag, etc.

Nothing wrong with the Blik Vika+, except it's heavy, and you will note that every day on the train.

I ride folders because my wife has decided after owing two 29 inch ebikes that a folder is the way to go. She went thru two folders before riding the current one, a step thru. I ride a folder or a non-folding mini when we ride together. just to be sociable, but I do like them. I have full size bikes for riding solo. Mine are all conversions of regular bikes, and I have the same problem as Luna of mounting a larger battery. I've got smaller ones that fit in a bag, but no Ligo's. Our bikes are 35-46 pounds, depending on battery. 36V gives you a mild mannered ride on 20" wheels. I'd suggest 48V if you want to go faster w.o breaking a sweat.

My main concern on a folder is frame breakage. I can handle everything else, but not if I got killed.

I’d suggest looking at a Montague M-E1 which Court reviewed here for EBR. Full sized wheels, suspension fork, folds, can be rolled when folded, and uses a decent Shimano E6100 Class 1 motor. Or you might consider going the DIY route and convert a Montague Paratrooper model with a more powerful mid-drive kit motor.

If you’re set on going with Bike Friday, consider converting one of their non electric models with a more powerful 750w version of the TSDZ2 mid drive from eco-cycles, BF fit a 350w version of that motor on the ever-e-day.

Last edited:
have you taken a folder on the subway? i haven't been since covid, but so many stations used to have those rotating bar cage turnstile entries that i would think it would be a serious PTA riding the subway with a 35+ lb folding bike. obviously a non-folding bike is out of the question on most mta lines, but if you're getting along with a non-folding bike now, maybe the best route is a better one, maybe with some suspension and better components to soak up the bumps.

Hey, everyone. I am trying to pick an ebike, but I'm struggling a lot. I live in NYC and have been thinking of getting a folding ebike, but I have been thinking about it and I might be open to a non-folding bike too. I've mainly been looking at folding bikes since I use public transport a decent bit and go on the MTA and Amtrak. My budget is about $6k, but I'm willing to go higher or lower.

I have been thinking of anything from a Brompton with this conversion kit to a full sized bike. I live in an area where pretty bad roads, so I was thinking that a Brompton with 16" wheels wouldn't be the best. Does any 20" folding bike have the small auxiliary wheels like the Brompton, though? I really like those.

I've been looking at a few different folding ebikes. In particular, the Bike Friday NWT, Blix Vika+, Carbo Model X, Luna Folding Bike, Gocycle.

My first choice was the Bike Friday NWT with the Silk upgrade which has a belt drive which I really liked. I really like the Grin batteries that they use which can be taken on planes. They're 100Wh batteries that are in parallel, so you can have as little as 100Wh or as much as you want. Their warranty, small fold size (29"x9"x34"), and low weight (under 40 lbs) is pretty nice. My only issue with them is the pretty weak front hub motor. In their configurator, they mention "Special Order Electric Assist" as an optional add-on. Does anyone know what this means? Could they replace their standard 250W throttle-less motor with something that's 500W or 750W with a throttle? It's about $4500 after some upgrades I'd want to add, which is well within my budget.

Bike Friday also this fully custom option on their website if you can't find what your're looking for. Since their bikes are custom built for each order, they can make specifically for you. Would they be able to make something that's exactly what I want? A 20" folding ebike with a stronger motor and auxiliary wheels like the Brompton so it's easily mobile when folded? That would be really great.

One concern I had with Bike Friday is that there aren't many reviews for it, particularly on here. Is there any reason that EBR hasn't reviewed any Bike Friday bikes?

The Blix Vika+ is a budget option at $1700 but it still looks pretty nice. I like the design, the 500W motor with a throttle is pretty nice, and I like the 600Wh battery. The 110 lb cargo capacity with the integrated racks is also a plus. I don't like the weight and the folding size. It's 55 lbs and is way too wide to fit in Amtrak at 36"x21"x28.5". It also doesn't have a carbon belt drive, though I'd expect that at this price point.

The Carbo Model X is the lightest folding ebike with 20" wheels that I've seen. It's just under 30lbs (though probably just over with the upgraded battery and the fenders/racks) with a really small fold. It's $3k with the battery and motor upgrades and fenders/rear rack. The issue is that the battery, even when upgraded, is under 400Wh and the upgraded motor is 350W. It does have a throttle, which is nice. It also has a carbon belt drive. My issue is that Carbo is a pretty unknown brand so I'd be worried about the quality and longevity, especially when it has a carbon frame.

The Luna Folding bike probably has the best motor out of any of the bikes I'm looking at, despite being a cheaper option. It's just under $2k with a 750W Bafang with a 624Wh battery with Samsung cells. In terms of pure specs, it's probably the best. The motor looks really good, especially at that price. It's just 38 lbs and the folded size is 16.1"x33.9" x25.6", which is pretty good, though not as good as the Carbo/Bike Friday. My issue is with support. Luna is a small company and they don't have a good warranty. They do use standard parts, which would mean that they should be pretty easy to work on. Another issue is that they don't have many accessories. So I'd need to get fenders from a different shop that fit on the bike, I'd also need to figure out if there are any racks that fit on this bike.

The Gocycle seems interesting, though I'm not sure if it's worth it. It does have really good reviews, particularly on Electric Bike Review, however I feel like it's overpriced. I was looking at the G4i with 375Wh and a 500W motor for $5k, and that's without fenders and racks. It also has a really nice folding mechanism and is 36lbs. I just am not sure if it lives up to the hype.

What do you guys think? Does anyone have advice for me? Like I said, I am thinking I might be open to non-folding bikes as well, but I'm not sure. Is the convenience of a folding bike worth it?

Buy a cheapie. Dont spend more than 1500. Try it and see if you like it...
Or peruse every review on EBR and get really confused and ask us alot of questions and hear our biased reviews of our own bikes!

I came a hairsbreath from getting a folding bike awhile ago and Brompton and Bike Friday were my top choices as well. Bike Friday is local to me so I was able to test ride their bikes (you're right the belt drives are great) and Bromptons are amazing as well. You might want to imagine your specific use cases for riding your bike before making a plunge.

Do you see yourself using it for groceries and locking it up outside or carrying it into the market? Brompton has a snazzy fold and bag that can act as a grocery cart. (I loved this, hehe). Do you live in an apartment where you'll have to carry or walk the bike upstairs? Are you going to ride along trails or city streets? Do you want to throw it in your car and drive it someplace to ride or will you be riding as a commuter? What type of commuting, bus, train, taxi or a mix? Where are going to store the bike when not in use?

I'm saying imagine how you would use the bike from the start of your day with it. Doing this really helped me in my choice. As for your motor options, maybe call around local bike shops and see if they can install your motor choice in a specific bike too. You might want to keep your eye out for builders instead of getting a specifically made "e-bike".

Also, you mentioned there are not many reviews of Bike Friday here, and it's likely because they are somewhat of a custom builder so when people get those types of bikes, the bike itself is purchased for the folding/name/carryon capacity with the motor secondary. I've a recumbent tadpole trike and many of them are now electric but there's specific forums/information sites that are specific to recumbents that offer more information. You might want to try searching specifically on folding bike forums.
They both seem like great options.

For the most part, I'd prefer to take it inside with me. I also really love the grocery cart mode on the Brompton. Do you know if there's any way to add auxilary wheels like that on other bikes?

I don't live in an apartment, so carrying up the stairs won't be an issue. Regardless, I'm not looking at those folding ebikes that have fat tires and are 70lbs, so I don't think it should be too difficult in either case.

I'll almost entirely be riding in city streets, but sometimes on bike trails too.

There might be some times where I want to throw it in the back of a car, but that won't be too often. Regardless, I think both can fit in the back of a car. For commuting, it'd mostly be train/subway.

I will be keeping the bike in my house. Bringing a folder shouldn't be too difficult in either case.

have you taken a folder on the subway? i haven't been since covid, but so many stations used to have those rotating bar cage turnstile entries that i would think it would be a serious PTA riding the subway with a 35+ lb folding bike. obviously a non-folding bike is out of the question on most mta lines, but if you're getting along with a non-folding bike now, maybe the best route is a better one, maybe with some suspension and better components to soak up the bumps.
If I was navigating subways and public transit with a Brampton on a regular basis, I think I would buy one of the backpacks designed for the Brompton so that I could carry it on my back while navigating transit and indoor spaces. Like this (although I’m not sure the ebike version of the Brompton will fit into the same bag)

There's a guy on a Facebook ebike page that has been waiting for his Carbo since April, Every so often, he posts "it's being shipped in 3 weeks!" , but he said that in July and August. It's a lot of money to save 10 pounds. That's getting like a regular bike. The Qualisports models use the same battery and are a bit heavier. However, they're avalaible,

Never heard anyone complain about a Bike Friday. If I wanted to put $$$$ into a folder, there you go. I believe they don't really fold. They come apart to fit in a suitcase.

The Luna is quite powerful, but the battery is an afterthought, They used to hang a 52V battery in a bag under the seat. I don't like what they've done with the frame battery. It's going to get damaged, and looks like one of my homebuilt folders that way.

I always dismissed Grin, because their initial offer was a direct drive motor, but now they have a geared motor that I could live with. These are designed for Bromptom's 80 mm dropout. For other folders, and if you;re willing to build a kit ala carte, they offer the Bafang G11 motors that you can order installed into a 20" rim. Then you can put Ligo's into a handlbar bag, etc.

Nothing wrong with the Blik Vika+, except it's heavy, and you will note that every day on the train.

I ride folders because my wife has decided after owing two 29 inch ebikes that a folder is the way to go. She went thru two folders before riding the current one, a step thru. I ride a folder or a non-folding mini when we ride together. just to be sociable, but I do like them. I have full size bikes for riding solo. Mine are all conversions of regular bikes, and I have the same problem as Luna of mounting a larger battery. I've got smaller ones that fit in a bag, but no Ligo's. Our bikes are 35-46 pounds, depending on battery. 36V gives you a mild mannered ride on 20" wheels. I'd suggest 48V if you want to go faster w.o breaking a sweat.

My main concern on a folder is frame breakage. I can handle everything else, but not if I got killed.

I have heard the same thing about Carbo, but there is a place in NYC that has some in stock right now, so I could get one without having to wait too long. It is expensive, but it's well within my budget and seems like a good bike. My only concern is the durability.

I took a look at the Qualisport bikes, but the folded size seemed too big for me. They're all above what Amtrak requires.

I've actually heard a lot of people say that about Bike Fridays. I thought that too, but I reached out to them to ask and they do fold pretty quickly. I think maybe they used to only come apart to put in suitcases, but they added proper folding?

I agree with what you said about the Luna. I think now the battery is on top of the frame, but it still does seem like an afterthought. However, they're also priced really competitively. If I were to buy that same frame, a BBS02, and a good quality 52V battery, it'd cost me nearly as much as what Luna is pricing it at. Maybe even more.

Could the Bafang G11 you mentioned fit on any folding bike with 20" wheels? I was also thinking of maybe converting a Tern BYB, but wasn't sure where to start.

I agree with what you mean regarding frame breakage. That's another one of the reasons I was looking at Bike Friday. I think their trifold design might help with stability.

I’d suggest looking at a Montague M-E1 which Court reviewed here for EBR. Full sized wheels, suspension fork, folds, can be rolled when folded, and uses a decent Shimano E6100 Class 1 motor. Or you might consider going the DIY route and convert a Montague Paratrooper model with a more powerful mid-drive kit motor.

If you’re set on going with Bike Friday, consider converting one of their non electric models with a more powerful 750w version of the TSDZ2 mid drive from eco-cycles, BF fit a 350w version of that motor on the ever-e-day.
I've looked at the Montague M-E1 and it looks really great. From what I've heard, Montague is one of the best companies for full sized folding bikes. I think the fold is just a bit too big for me, which should be expected.

I actually hadn't realized that the TSDZ2 mid-drive can be put on the NWT. That's a really interesting upgrade path, thank you. I was under the impression that the mid drive didn't fit on the folding Bike Fridays.

I've looked at the Montague M-E1 and it looks really great. From what I've heard, Montague is one of the best companies for full sized folding bikes. I think the fold is just a bit too big for me, which should be expected.

I actually hadn't realized that the TSDZ2 mid-drive can be put on the NWT. That's a really interesting upgrade path, thank you. I was under the impression that the mid drive didn't fit on the folding Bike Fridays.
I have installed tsdz2 mid drives on three folders, a 20" Walmart "Genesis" folder, a Dahon Jack 26" folder and a Dahon Briza 24" folder. The Jack needed only to have the bolted on fold support on the bottom bracket removed, the Genesis had a protrusion on the bottom of the bottom bracket where the support was bolted on so that was cut off with an angle grinder and cutting disc, the Briza has a more complex frame that required more modification. The tsdz2 worked well on all three, currently on the Jack.

Here it is the Genesis when it was on that bike - 36v 10ah battery is in the seat bag. Weight was 40# which is at least as light or maybe lighter than listed weight for a Friday ebike, if I recall correctly what I had read. Overall a quick, easy, capable and fairly inexpensive conversion.
1633628289002.png

EDIT:
I see Bike Friday does sell what appears to be a tsdz2 equipped bike.
1633726050276.png

Last edited:
I added a Swytch Kit to a Brompton and was pleasantly surprised how zippy it was for a 36V/250w motor. I’m no bike mechanic, but found the Brompton Swytch Kit pretty straightforward to install, smooth running, with very good cadence response. It added about 5lbs to the Brompton which would make it about 33lbs total. Makes it fairly lightweight for an ebike. You can check it out here:

Tern Vektron is worth look, great on road, but heavy.
This. You can run over to Propel and they can set you up with a Vektron. Great bike if you want to take it inside with you. Folds up and you can use the seat as a handle to cart it with you.

I have zero input on the bike for your needs but, am excited for you given the budget you're willing to provide. Seems like you will be able to get just the right thing for that or less.

I started out looking at ebikes thinking $2K would be enough - not. (For my mountain bike wants.)

Welcome to the forum by the way.

Manhattan is great for biking.

Back