Conversion of FLX Trail to commuter

PDieter

I upgraded to an F5 Trail and had a plan to turn it into a cushy commuter. So far I really like how it rides, very much like a Frey CC but 20#s lighter. The M600 isn’t the ultra but that 20 lbs isn’t nothing. I love the supermotos, they really soften the rough streets

Is that stock as it ships in touring option? I have a Bolton Blackbird on order, but it is still a month or two away (hasn't been loaded on a boat yet!). This is more $$ but seems like a nice set up. Their site says they have the F5 Trail in stock in the Touring 840WH configuration that includes fenders and rack + suspension seat post and comfort seat. Looking at their video it seems like you might have installed a different rack, fenders and seat, as well as more swept back bars?

I don’t care for the touring components, preferring to purchase my own. That said the new seatpost they sell is nice, lights are nice (I’ve since installed a headlight). The rack is ok and the fenders are usually worthless for my needs.

Well done. Nice looking and functional commuter bike.
Thanks I now have 400 miles on it and love the ride. Aside from my upgrade from the 36v bafang M400 max to the 48v M600 i gotta say the supermoto tires up from the Big Bens is the grandest riding improvement. So much more stable and smooth....I'm a little shocked at how big the difference is. I've ridden in two record rainfalls for a day in Seattle and the ride remained very safe.

I upgraded to an F5 Trail and had a plan to turn it into a cushy commuter. So far I really like how it rides, very much like a Frey CC but 20#s lighter. The M600 isn’t the ultra but that 20 lbs isn’t nothing. I love the supermotos, they really soften the rough streets
What size tire... 2.8 inch?
Yeah really curious can this bike fit Schwalbe 2.8 inch tires?
Could it maybe even fit 3 inch tires?
Yeah I agree 1/2 inch difference in tires can make a big difference. all right let me know that's the setup I would like to go with as well
How's the bike doing for you lately , anything new?

Also does the throttle work from a standstill? Did they get rid of that six mile per hour needed to activate throttle?
Any issues with shifting and motor engagement causing problems with the throttle, chain breaking? Or coming loose?
Cool thanks a lot, yeah really looks like a good bike, do you think they're 46lb estimate is accurate? That's pretty light! Thanks again!!

What size tire... 2.8 inch?
Yeah really curious can this bike fit Schwalbe 2.8 inch tires?
Could it maybe even fit 3 inch tires?
Yeah I agree 1/2 inch difference in tires can make a big difference. all right let me know that's the setup I would like to go with as well
How's the bike doing for you lately , anything new?
I have the 2.4" super motos but it sure seems to me it would take the 2.8's but the chain stays would be full. Fenders might be a bit of a problem at that point (if that's an issue). I don't have a throttle hooked up, I don't care for them so I don't know what the programing is but I'd be surprised if FLX took away the 6mph start...having burned up so many planetary gears in their 1st generation bikes.

I've got over 1500 miles now and no issues and complete satisfaction. the motor has quieted down quite a bit but still loud by comparison. I have a luna nylon gear in hand but I would be a fool to install it prior to the warranty running out....I still might be that fool later in the year. I've yet to really explore max range as I spend too much time going fast on shorter trips. I have found that it maxes out for me around 30 miles if run mostly on level 4 and 5 at 24+ mph. You have to run it at PAS 2 in order to really see an extension of range.

Thanks appreciate that!
I'm thinking they would fit too. Because mounted to the same rims they would probably only be maybe .3 in wider

Would you say 3in is probably the maximum clearance the frame has?

Yeah I could probably do without the fenders

I've heard those Motors are a little noisy, have you tried oiling it? Is it pretty easy to swap out the motors for a nylon geared 1? But those can wear out pretty quick right?

I'm riding a hub motor Juiced current right now. It's a good bike but I want to get something that can take wider tires and also that is a mid Drive. Have you ever compared to a hub Drive? The mid drives are much more balanced right, they do better on rough Terrain?

Anyway cool deal looks like you have a nice setup there. Alright I appreciate it, thanks for feedback

I really like f5 trail. Feels like super moto 2.4 should be a standard tire. I have also asked them if they can do this will swept handlebar and adjustable stem of step through 2.0. Would make for a nice comfy commuter bike that can also do light trails.

Back