Canyon?

I WANT THAT. I think their other :ON bikes with the Fazua look fantastic but I'd rather ride this.

You’re damn right! That thing is gorgeous. Proper big tires, the new CX motor, lots of good stuff

I encountered a young woman yesterday on my ride who had a brand new, very high end Canyon road bike... with a flat front tire. Her riding partner had gone to get the car, as she hadn’t loaded it up with any tools yet. I carry the necessary stuff, but I was not about to start wrestling around with those expensive wheels.

Last edited:
My Vado has such a fork. What is so special with Canyon outside the weird handlebars?

I love this bike! With a carbon fork and 50mm tires I suspect the ride would be decent.
I'd love to see a comparison between this bike and Cannondale's Topstone Neo Carbon Lefty 3

I wonder if Canadians can order this bike? Is the US distributor in California?

Three of the riders in my senior's riding group have BionX kits and they have been trouble free for many, many miles. From what I've seen the BionX kit was a quality piece.

Three of the riders in my senior's riding group have BionX kits and they have been trouble free for many, many miles. From what I've seen the BionX kit was a quality piece.
Good. These motors will eventually fail and the bikes will be good for nothing. I know it looks I'm negative to Canyon but at least Bosch, Yamaha, Brose and Shimano can be trusted. I also wonder how many of you own a Canyon e-bike.

Would prefer an option for the quieter performance line motor in lieu of the noisier CX

Originally I was hoping they put the Performance Speed motor in, but since this is more gravel centric, more torque would be good. 28mph sounds good on the street, but maybe be too much on dirt.

Canyon does use the Fazua system on one bike, but this one ain’t it. This is the new v4 CX Bosch system. I agree that I would not buy a bike with the Fazua system.

Originally I was hoping they put the Performance Speed motor in, but since this is more gravel centric, more torque would be good. 28mph sounds good on the street, but maybe be too much on dirt.

There's an easy fix for that....don't ride that fast on the dirt. :)
Comparing the Cannondale Topstone Neo Carbon Lefty 3 and the Canyon I noticed that the Topstone Neo comes with the Performance Speed motor.

Reactions: JRA
This is a 'gravel bike', of which I'm not that familiar. But CANYON is a neighbor of YT INDUSTRIES here in so-Cal, and seem to have a very good reputation. This bike appears to be a state-of-the art gravel racer.

I don't know anything more about the company, other than they are a high-end niche builder with a line of ebikes. I would have liked to go visit them and check out their bikes, but the response I got on inquiry about will-calling a purchased MTB was negative. So I don't know if they have a showroom or anything, or what. I kind of moved on, they weren't inviting at all, then they put me on a spam list to which I unsubscribed.

Few months ago, I was talking to an industry insider who lived and worked in Germany for 10 years.
He knew the person who founded CANYON and even he is astonished by what CANYON has accomplished in the last 10 years. He had seen several startups fail but nobody predicted the growth trajectory of CANYON.
They had a very tight QC requirement, almost automotive grade but seems like greed is getting into them. I heard from a factory in Taiwan that canyon started using Chinese factories for a few of the models and they are now seeing problems.

One thing for sure, being situated in EU, they have a massive advantage and this video provides an insightful glimpse into CANYON bikes.

Few months ago, I was talking to an industry insider who lived and worked in Germany for 10 years.

He knew the person who founded CANYON and even he is astonished by what CANYON has accomplished in the last 10 years. He had seen several startups fail but nobody predicted the growth trajectory of CANYON.
They had a very tight QC requirement, almost automotive-grade but seems like greed is getting into them. I heard from a factory in Taiwan that canyon started using Chinese factories for a few of the models and they are now seeing problems.

One thing for sure, being situated in EU, they have a massive advantage and this video provides an insightful glimpse into CANYON bikes.

Here is a new review from Electrek on the Canyon Grail: ON... a super nice ride with a carbon frame and bars under 35lbs. 😉

full_2021_grail-on-cf-8_2552_bu-bk_P5-1.png

The Canyon Grail: ON features a carbon fiber frame and weighs as little as 35 lb (15.8 kg) in its lightest form. While that’s still portly for a standard gravel bike, it’s extremely light compared to most electric bicycles that usually weigh at least 50% more. Heck, I’ve ridden e-bikes weighing 100 lb (44 kg) and quite a few that were close to it.

For power, the Canyon Grail: ON is rocking a Bosch Performance Line CX Gen4 motor, the newest powerhouse from Bosch that pumps out 85 Nm of torque. The motor also provides assist at up to 340% of the rider’s input. The maximum powered speed is 20 mph (32 km/h), which keeps the bike legal as a Class 1 electric bike in the US. Riders can hit higher speeds with additional pedal effort, but the motor won’t give any extra assist past 20 mph. The Bosch motor gets paired with a Bosch 500Wh Powertube battery concealed in the bike’s downtube.

Canyon claims the battery will provide up to 80 miles (128 km) of range. That might be possible in the very lowest pedal assist mode, though range is notoriously variable, especially when riding in the off-road conditions that the Canyon Grail: ON was designed for. Speaking of off-road, the Grail: ON doesn’t feature frame or fork suspension, which is true of nearly all gravel bikes. But it does use an innovative seat post sporting leaf spring suspension, so at least you and your valuables get some suspension relief. The bike also features high-volume tires, another staple of gravel bikes that helps take some of the shock out of rougher trails. Unlike most e-bikes, the Canyon Grail: ON is available in a wide range of sizes from 2XS all the way up to 2XL, and the smaller sizes feature smaller 650b wheels to keep the handling snappy in a smaller form factor.

I hope you’re sitting down for the price, though. The Canyon Grail: ON starts at US $5,799 for the Shimano GRX drivetrain-equipped model, and reaches up to US$6,999 for the Grail:ON CF 8 eTap that comes with electronic SRAM Force AXS eTap shifting and carbon fiber wheels to match the carbon fiber frame.

Last edited:
Back