Canyon?

Pretty bike.
35 lb (15.8 kg) Nice to know by the time I’m ready for the next bike it may not by like lifting a rhino.

Gorgeous. If it came with the Yamaha motor I would have already signed up. I may do it anyhow, that thing really speaks to me. My wife said wow, that’s cool, you should buy it!

Super sexy. Powerful and light. A little bit of suspension would be nice though.

I just installed the fantastic RedShift ShockStop Stem on my rigid bike. I read all the hype from independent reviews but I wasn't expecting the actual comfort that it gives. My hands, shoulders and upper back are going to be so thankful. :)

Another vote for the Class 3 motor and think Canyon missed the mark there. Not so that you could rip around at 28mph all the time, which the stock gearing wouldn't allow anyway as it is too low, but as a road type bike it is nice to be able to cruise at 22-23mph on level ground when applicable and not have the 20mph limiter. You can make up for the torque via going with a higher tooth rear cog to increase your human input at the lower speeds you will be going on steep grades to keep your cadence up to the motor output so it doesn't lug.

As far as suspension goes I have been riding rigid e gravel bikes for years and never have felt the need, I just run as low a psi as I can get away with which for me is in the low 30's tubeless and find it sufficient. But I have a long history with rigid bikes and in fact prefer them for any road type use.

Gorgeous. If it came with the Yamaha motor I would have already signed up. I may do it anyhow, that thing really speaks to me. My wife said wow, that’s cool, you should buy it!

While not as integrated looking I think the Yamaha drop bar bike in this category would be just as satisfying personally.

There's an easy fix for that....don't ride that fast on the dirt. :)
Comparing the Cannondale Topstone Neo Carbon Lefty 3 and the Canyon I noticed that the Topstone Neo comes with the Performance Speed motor.
haha easy fix :D

That Cannondale is pretty cool. A little heavier and definitely much more off road oriented. That's a good option. Probably more comfortable than the Canyon. I think the Canyon ticks a lot of boxes for many people. It defintely looks sleeker. FWIW, I think 20mph might be enough for me. On my road bike, I usually am just 17-18mph anyway. I would be fine with either motor.

JRA, I’m a fan of the Wabash also, but it can’t take a whole lot of tire. I think it comes with 33s or something like that?

Also, fast is fun, but at least in NY Class 3 is a problem. Many states have or seem to be fine with a Class 1 bike, but not 3, so I figure why fight it. My last was a class 3 and I found I hardly ever went all that fast anyhow, and was always in a very dark grey area with the law. At least now I know I’m legal, period.

The Canyon? Like everything about it, though the bars are a little showy, for sure. But if I don’t feel like spending money on hot cars anymore, I might as well on a damn good bike 😎

haha easy fix :D

That Cannondale is pretty cool. A little heavier and definitely much more off road oriented. That's a good option. Probably more comfortable than the Canyon. I think the Canyon ticks a lot of boxes for many people. It defintely looks sleeker. FWIW, I think 20mph might be enough for me. On my road bike, I usually am just 17-18mph anyway. I would be fine with either motor.

The only time I wish for Class 3 speeds is when I'm commuting as I'm hurrying to get to work or hurrying to get home. During my leisure rides, I have no real desire for more speed.

JRA, I’m a fan of the Wabash also, but it can’t take a whole lot of tire. I think it comes with 33s or something like that?

The Wabash can likely take pretty big tires. It has more tire clearance than my Urban Rush and I currently have 38mm Gravel Kings on it and I guesstimate that I can fit up to 46mm without fenders.

Reactions: JRA
This is a 'gravel bike', of which I'm not that familiar. But CANYON is a neighbor of YT INDUSTRIES here in so-Cal, and seem to have a very good reputation. This bike appears to be a state-of-the art gravel racer.

I don't know anything more about the company, other than they are a high-end niche builder with a line of ebikes. I would have liked to go visit them and check out their bikes, but the response I got on inquiry about will-calling a purchased MTB was negative. So I don't know if they have a showroom or anything, or what. I kind of moved on, they weren't inviting at all, then they put me on a spam list to which I unsubscribed.
FYI-
Seems like a dead end with Canyon concerning their eMTBs coming to the USA. I have been on them for over 2 years asking, and all they keep telling me is to "get our newsletter and we will have the announcement made coming in spring of 2020"! I recently contacted them via Twitter, and they do not have any updates. I think I am no longer interested in doing business with this company.

FYI-
Seems like a dead end with Canyon concerning their eMTBs coming to the USA. I have been on them for over 2 years asking, and all they keep telling me is to "get our newsletter and we will have the announcement made coming in spring of 2020"! I recently contacted them via Twitter, and they do not have any updates. I think I am no longer interested in doing business with this company.

Too bad... I would love to see and ride their bikes in the US.

FYI-

Never thought about it that way but an ex pro mtb buddy from Colorado that is now executive director of IMBA rides their brand here in the states. Sure seems like he is pimping Canyon according to his Igram posts, mtb and he has a Grail too. Although I'm not a huge fan of mid drive road bikes I have been thinking about seeing if he'd set me up with an :ON :) but if I had to pay for one I would go with the Wabash as I like the idea of a double chainring which I have the equivalent of on my bikes although I use a Schlumpf drive to achieve it.

I’m getting my Yamahas mixed up. The new one, the Civante, is the Class 3 bike. Wabash Class 1, my mistake.
Civante is nice. It’s basically a Class 3 Urban Rush. The Wabash is their gravel bike. I wouldn’t be surprised if they do a Class 3 version of that, too. That would be pretty exciting to me.

FYI-

I did not realize they didn't actually have ebikes for sale. Wow.
I more or less got talked out of one of their dated pedal mtb's. [shrug]

Canyon made their name in high performance road bikes geared for racers and "weight weenies" in Germany. Reputation made it so that pro racing teams lined up to get them. IIRC, the ride quality was very stiff on the early bikes so racers flocked to it. Germans get nuts with weight cutting and don't mind paying for it. I lust after this bike but not sure I would buy one.

Canyon made their name in high performance road bikes geared for racers and "weight weenies" in Germany. Reputation made it so that pro racing teams lined up to get them. IIRC, the ride quality was very stiff on the early bikes so racers flocked to it. Germans get nuts with weight cutting and don't mind paying for it. I lust after this bike but not sure I would buy one.

Newer bikes seem to be more compliant. It's still more race oriented. Similar to how Specialized Tarmac series have evolved over time and gotten a little softer, so has Canyon Ultimate. It's not hard to make a decision, just have to get different kinds of bikes!

I've been out of the road cycling scene for years. Used to be able to hang with some hammerheads on a good day (23mph avg, ouch) so I was a bike snob for a spell. I used to read the Euro bike mags and salivate at the latest and greatest bike tech. Cycling died for me when I moved to a place with no good riding clubs. Ebikes have resurrected my cycling, just more upright now and at a leisurely pace. Canyon, Cube, Focus were staples in the German cycling scene.

I have looked at European and North American websites of Canyon. While the brand offers the whole palette of e-bikes, many of them very interesting (Bosch, Shimano and Fazua motors), the North American selection is just ridiculous.

Compare these two websites:
(Polish site - in English) - Grail:ON, Endurance:ON, Spectral:ON, Neuron:ON, Pathlite:ON, Grand Canyon:ON, and RoadLite:ON.

(U.S. site)
Grail:ON, and Spectral:ON. That's it.

Back