New to EBR

JonnyD

Region
USA
Hello All,

My name is JonnyD, I live in Colorado Springs, CO. A few days ago I purchased a Canyon Grail:ON CF 8, my first E-Bike. I've been riding a Trek Boone 7 as a gravel bike for the last 3 years and love this bike, I'll keep riding it if my hip allows. The reason I purchased the Grail is I'm 65 going in for a left hip replacement next week June 16, I have no idea how I will recover or if I will have the strength to ride, so I purchased the E-Bike, lol, good excuse, right?! I do have couple questions about the Grail, hope someone can answer my questions as Canyon could not answer them. Regards, JonnyD

Attachments

• IMG_4739.jpg
    IMG_4739.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 118
Welcome! Nice bike. I whish you a speedy recovery. Physical Therapy will put you on a stationary bike first thing.

Welcome to the forum Jonny!

For what it's worth, I'm 76 and have had both hips replaced. This was also the reason I purchased my first e-bike. I was back in the saddle 5 weeks after the first operation and 4 weeks after the second. My doctor says cycling is the best therapy after a hip replacement.

It's been 4 years now since the second operation and I have had no problems whatsoever. I now ride 50+ miles in a single outing. My only regret was waiting so long to have them done. I couldn't ride at all for almost 3 years before the replacements.

Good luck!

Because so many bikes are now Direct to Consumer, such as Canyon, and margins of new bikes in bike shops are so low, a buddy who has a bike shop will off-load all inventory, except rentals, and will do a mobile service, with so many working from home. He will feature Pro assembly of new bikes. There are always new bike adjustments regular people cannot take on. The shop will be only a service center for bigger jobs, and will feature a good selection of accessories, plus tourist eBike rentals. I will help him and he will outsource Pro conversions to me. We will split rentals. Identical bikes, zoom for wires.

Attachments

• BadBBuilds12.jpg
    BadBBuilds12.jpg
    698 KB · Views: 89
  • Vida2.JPG
    Vida2.JPG
    425.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Vida3.JPG
    Vida3.JPG
    373.7 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Hello All,

My name is JonnyD, I live in Colorado Springs, CO. A few days ago I purchased a Canyon Grail:ON CF 8, my first E-Bike. I've been riding a Trek Boone 7 as a gravel bike for the last 3 years and love this bike, I'll keep riding it if my hip allows. The reason I purchased the Grail is I'm 65 going in for a left hip replacement next week June 16, I have no idea how I will recover or if I will have the strength to ride, so I purchased the E-Bike, lol, good excuse, right?! I do have couple questions about the Grail, hope someone can answer my questions as Canyon could not answer them. Regards, JonnyD
Hi Jonny,
Your new eBike will make riding easier, however: even with zero pedaling resistance a person may / will suffer 'repetitive motion injury'.
So check with your Doctor before you do any thing: because from what I hear a failed replacement joint from over exercise is horrible.

Rolling along over many miles a day while pleased as punch with super voltage legs can / may well lead to some lower extremity inflammation.
How do I know (@ 67 Y.O?) ? Too much riding last August and a surprise diagnosis from the orthopedist. "How Doctor?: I hardly push the pedals"
M.V.

He will be working the pedals and strengthening without over-stress. My friend Fritz had two such replacements and rides everyday for health and fitness. He has also lost some weight because of eBikes.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I did have my hip replaced Friday, so far feeling good, no real pain, the swelling and bruising is what I'm dealing with, keeping me from using full motion with the left leg, no pain in the socket which is a huge relief. I was able to get one ride in with my new Grail:ON CF 8 class 3 before the surgery! It's amazing and fast!

Hello All,

Welcome to EBR a great group.

Back