Anyone with a 2020 Revolt E Pro?

MattC

Hello,
I"m interested in a Revolt E Pro and I'm wondering if anyone has a 28 mph version yet? Super curious about range with the 375wh battery? Thanks in advance. Matt

I’m considering one as well and have the same question. Not much out there in the ebike world when it comes to a true gravel grinder. My main concern is the battery/range.

I'm in the process of buying a Revolt E+ Pro. Chose the Giant over other brands because that's what my local dealer sells, and I want to be close to the service. Bike has arrived and I test-rode it yesterday. Fits exactly like my current road bike (Specialized Roubaix Expert) and felt really good. I took it up some big hills in the lowest power setting with no problems. We're waiting for rear rack (Surly) and fenders (SKS) to arrive. There's no hole in the top of the fork, so we're getting fenders that clamp to the fork itself. We're also going to clamp rear rack to the seat stays rather than use the single hole in the seat stay bridge. Would have preferred larger battery but I'm buying an extra battery (Giant specs say battery is "integrated" but in fact it is removable). I'm also going to get the EnergyPak Range Extender when it finally gets to the U.S. (who knows when that will be -- Giant USA has no idea). That will give me 1000wh total which I think will do.

Last edited:
Keep us posted, Steve. I'm a fan of Giant, but feel like the Revolt E+ could have been made to be more versatile. I doubt most buyers will be getting as may batteries as you are, so it will be interesting to see how you utilize it.

I got myself one for Xmas and have posted about it in the other thread. Mine has a few hundred miles on it. The range is mediocre (as expected with a 375whr battery on a class 3 bike) but aside from that its pretty much perfect for me. I just asked my shop to order a second battery. They said Giant estimated late March for the range extender.

What's the consideration between having a second battery vs the range extender? Price, benefit, etc?
For me, its that the second battery is available now and I want to do longer rides. The advantages are that its higher capacity (375whr vs 250whr for the extender) and available. The disadvantages are that its more difficult to carry (pretty much requires a rack) and when the main battery dies, you need to stop and swap it. The extender mounts to a bottle cage and (I'm told) automatically takes over when the main battery dies.

I've been riding mine with friends on normal bikes (who are faster than I am), but they usually ride 45-50 miles and just the main battery is only good for 30-35 miles for me, so I end up cutting every ride short.

Thanks! In that case, I'd personally only go with the extender (once they're out), since carrying the battery would be a serious inconvenience, not to mention I'd want it padded up pretty well so that it's not jostling about. Lastly, in a group ride (I usually do 30-50 miles), the social dynamics of stopping to swap batteries in front of my faster riders would always be an awkward moment. Sure, who cares what people think, but for some it's a psychological barrier. How many mounting points do they have for water bottles? If the range extender takes one, and then you're riding 50 miles on a hot day, you need a lot more water.

I have a small frame, so while it has two mounts in the main triangle, they don't hold large bottles (a problem I'm very used to on smaller frames). The fork has single mounts, so I added a bottle cage to mine (one bolt and one zip tie, using salsa cages which have zip tie mounts) and I have a feed bag on the side of the stem that I can stick a bottle in. For summer I'll likely put another bottle cage on the other side of the fork, which lets me carry 3 bottles without using any in the triangle. Where I ride, its rare to go more than 30ish miles without being able to fill up on water, so 3 bottles should be fine.

Posted a pic of my bike here if you wanna see my setup:

I just test rode a 2020 Revolt E+ Pro in Ephrata, PA. ( Shout out to Martins Bike shop - outstanding!!!!) The bike was wonderful. It handled like a road bike, despite the wide gavel tires. Very reactive, unlike a Cannondale Synapse Neo SE that I rode last year. Reasonably light weight and very comfortable. With a 1X setup, the shifting was great. The motor worked seamlessly and hardly made a sound - I love this motor! I was ready to buy and take it home until I realized I had done a 9 mile test ride on moderately hilly terrain which included two half mile, 10% climbs and was returning to the shop with 62% battery left. It indicated I had 28 miles left. That's a total of 37 miles! I rode the bike in Auto for the whole ride. The ride extender, available by the end of next week, would have to be used all the time for our group rides in NJ. That takes away a water bottle cage!
To me it seems that Giant went from 500wh to 375 to lower the cost of the bike, but virtually everyone will need the extender adding about $300 back to the bike. I would far rather pay a few hundred more and get decent range and save my bottle cage. If Giant would come out with a 500 or 625 in tube option, I would buy the bike immediately. I think the 375 strategy is a fail.

My experience was the same as ghukins. Couldn't really get more than 33 miles. That is a decent range for a bike that weighed in at 40lbs, but for real world use, I agree the range extender is mandatory. A 625 in that bike would have been a game changer.

I'm beginning to collect some data on my Revolt E+ Pro range. I'm getting old and slow, and I can maintain only about 12 mph average on my road bike, riding a hilly route that has about 800 feet of climbing every 20-25 miles. I got the Revolt so my 10-15-yr-younger friends wouldn't have to slow down so much for me. But I don't need really high power, so to start with I set the power levels (using the RideControl app on my iPhone) at the lowest level in each power setting, dropping from 100% to 50% in the ECO mode, and from 360% to 300% in the highest power setting -- I don't want to be on a motorcycle, I just need some assist. On the maiden ride on the Revolt, I kept the power level low, turning it off on downhill sections, and did 22.6 miles at 13.5 mph average, with 65% of battery remaining. Then I did a ride with a couple of fast riders, totally in AUTO mode: 26.4 mi, 17.4 mph, 29% remaining. I didn't like AUTO mode -- it felt like the motor was constantly surging. Next, 38.7 mi, 13.9 mph, 33% remaining. Next, 20.3 mi, 12.9 mph, 71% remaining. And last, 26.7 mi, 14.3 mph, 64% remaining. You can do the math to calculate the range. The riding style I'm settling in to is to get a good workout similar to what I got on my non-e bikes, but ride faster. I can keep the power setting down to the ECO and BASIC modes except on the worst hills, and that gets me a range of between 60 and 70 miles on the standard 375 watt battery. When the Range Extender pack is available, then I'm going to be able to get a range of close to 100 miles at 13-14 mph. If I want to kick it up to 15-16 mph, which is as fast as most of my friends can ride, then I will still get a 75-mile range. That's not bad for a gravel bike with rack and fenders and a 77-yr-old rider. I'm still going to get an extra battery to carry on longer camping trips, but it looks like the 375 watt battery is going to work fine, particularly with the Range Extender. Giant says the Range Extender is in their warehouse, but they haven't been given a price for it yet.

I just received my Revolt e + pro 2020 Westerday I’m from New Brunswick Canada ,my husband has a giant road e +pro 2020 and has Auto on is bike ,but me with my Revolt e + pro 2020 I don’t have it is that a problem of manufacturing or in Canada we don’t have auto mode on the Revolt e + pro 2020

This is Réjeanne husband ,yes I did a lot of research on all giant 2020 models on the sport and pro motors before ordering my road e pro 2020 in December 2019.All my research came with the same conclusion that all the models syncdrive +pro 2020 had a Auto mode this year. I received my bike at the end of January and scroll all the modes and auto was under the off mode like it is suppose to be. But we received my wife Revolt e +pro 2020 westerday and tried the same scroll yesterday and this morning and Auto mode is not on her bike. But the dealer here in Tracadie-Sheila N-B Canada ordered a ML by mistake my wife bike is a medium he has it in his store in display all fully charged ,be sure that I am going to be there when they open the store today to see if his ML has the Auto mode.

And for your information for the battery extended pack me and my wife ordered 2 battery pack 250watts one in December and the other one in February .The price in Canadien money is $700 dollars each and didn’t receive them wet back order.

This is Réjeanne husband ,yes I did a lot of research on all giant 2020 models on the sport and pro motors before ordering my road e pro 2020 in December 2019.All my research came with the same conclusion that all the models syncdrive +pro 2020 had a Auto mode this year. I received my bike at the end of January and scroll all the modes and auto was under the off mode like it is suppose to be. But we received my wife Revolt e +pro 2020 westerday and tried the same scroll yesterday and this morning and Auto mode is not on her bike. But the dealer here in Tracadie-Sheila N-B Canada ordered a ML by mistake my wife bike is a medium he has it in his store in display all fully charged ,be sure that I am going to be there when they open the store today to see if his ML has the Auto mode.
I just test rode a 2020 Revolt E+ Pro in Ephrata, PA. ( Shout out to Martins Bike shop - outstanding!!!!) The bike was wonderful. It handled like a road bike, despite the wide gavel tires. Very reactive, unlike a Cannondale Synapse Neo SE that I rode last year. Reasonably light weight and very comfortable. With a 1X setup, the shifting was great. The motor worked seamlessly and hardly made a sound - I love this motor! I was ready to buy and take it home until I realized I had done a 9 mile test ride on moderately hilly terrain which included two half mile, 10% climbs and was returning to the shop with 62% battery left. It indicated I had 28 miles left. That's a total of 37 miles! I rode the bike in Auto for the whole ride. The ride extender, available by the end of next week, would have to be used all the time for our group rides in NJ. That takes away a water bottle cage!
To me it seems that Giant went from 500wh to 375 to lower the cost of the bike, but virtually everyone will need the extender adding about $300 back to the bike. I would far rather pay a few hundred more and get decent range and save my bottle cage. If Giant would come out with a 500 or 625 in tube option, I would buy the bike immediately. I think the 375 strategy is a fail.

I personally bought an extra main battery for mine. Amusingly, the cover for the battery (the green plastic shell that matches the frame) wasn't available until like May, so I got just the bare battery. Works fine, looks a little goofy. The two batteries gets me 60-65 miles of hilly gravel riding in eco, which covers my riding nicely. I still plan on grabbing an extender when they are available, just because the main+extender probably covers a lot of my loops, and then I don't need to haul the second main battery or stop and swap, but its not pressing. Shop charged me $500 US for the second main battery.

I don't have an auto mode on mine (US, not Canadian). I don't think I'd use it if it did, I like setting the percentage of assist to be constant.

Still really happy with the bike, aside from the anemic battery. Its a wonderful ride on the gravel roads of Loudoun. It feels very much like my non-e-gravel bike, which is exactly what I wanted.

Thanks for giving me the information for the Auto mode . I was beginning to get confused,I figure out that the 250 watt extended battery will give me around 65 to 70 km more of riding on eco mode . It’s about 33km each 125 watts approximately.

Back