Flying Australia to Vietnam with battery?

Henry Black

Region
Australia
Hi all,
Appologies if this has already been covered, but I couldn't find anything through the search function.
I'm flying from Australia to Vietnam & am hoping to take my Giant Revolt E+ along with me. I know the battery can't travel on a passenger flight, but I'm running into deadends with all of the freight companies I've approached about shipping it over.
Has anyone had any kind of success in flying/shipping a battery to Vietnam & back, or do I just admit defeat & take my old school, pedal powered pushy along?
Thanks in advance.

This isn't specific to Vietnam but it might be of help.
A few riders I know with DIY skills have rigged their bikes to use several small batteries which can legally go on an airplane.

There are many out there, including the ones I use from Grin Technologies:

I sometimes use multiple cordless tool batteries, which can also go on a plane.

The amount of work required to modify a bike to use these batteries varies with the make but it might be worth a look.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your trip! Don't forget to post pics!!

Hi all,
Appologies if this has already been covered, but I couldn't find anything through the search function.
I'm flying from Australia to Vietnam & am hoping to take my Giant Revolt E+ along with me. I know the battery can't travel on a passenger flight, but I'm running into deadends with all of the freight companies I've approached about shipping it over.
Has anyone had any kind of success in flying/shipping a battery to Vietnam & back, or do I just admit defeat & take my old school, pedal powered pushy along?
Thanks in advance.
I would seriously consider renting an ebike in Vietnam-if not, an analog bike. Lithium batteries and air travel appear to not be a great mix...

Unless you are going for an extended stay... It's probably cheaper and less stress to rent an ebike in Vietnam.
Shipping in both directions if you can even find a way will be expensive and then you have the worry of it getting damaged in transit.

Unless you are going for an extended stay... It's probably cheaper and less stress to rent an ebike in Vietnam.
Shipping in both directions if you can even find a way will be expensive and then you have the worry of it getting damaged in transit.
One more vote here. I also think that renting an e-bike in Vietnam would be a cheaper option.

I don't really know what I'm talking about, but what about shipping just your ebike to Vietnam and buying a battery for it in Vietnam.
Then sell the used battery back to the battery supplier when you leave.

It might be your cheapest option, and you get to use your own e-bike.

Wait,..
The OP was from 10 months ago.

@Henry Black is probably back from Vietnam?

How was your trip?

Screenshot_20231215-153122_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Do they have these things in Vietnam??

Screenshot_20231215-151656_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Screenshot_20231215-151540_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Last edited:
Back