Anyone with a 2020 Revolt E Pro?

Did you check if Giant Canada is running anything similar? Or plan to? If so, your shop might be able to hook you up.

I am gonna phone my local dealer today to see if they can get the same promotion for me in Canada I’ve looked at Giant canadien web site and there is no promo thanks for the info yesterday

So, finally got my Energypak extender a few weeks ago, and then had to wait for the shop to update the firmware so I could actually use it (Giants app decided it hated my bike on every device I tried to connect with). First ride was today, and I figured I'd pass along a few thoughts in case anyone is looking at the Revolt (or other 2020 Giant) and was wondering how the extender works.

First, mounting and connecting it is pretty simple. Charges off the same charger, but has a different plug So now I have the charger, which has a plug that plugs into the charging port on the bike to charge the main battery. Or I can remove the battery and use an adapter to charge that. Or I can use a different adapter to charge the extender. I feel like they could have standardized those a bit, but what do I know. :p

As for how it works, it seems to talk to the computer, which displays a percentage based on the combined capacity of both batteries. It also seems to draw from both of them while riding, though not totally evenly (after my ride today, I was at 31% left. After unplugging the extender, that dropped to like 14%, so the controller favored drawing from the main battery). Not sure how it decides how much to pull from each one. The extender has a USB port on it if you want to use it as a giant mobile battery bank for whatever reason.

Also, you can't use the bike with just the extender on the bike. It throws an error. It seems to need a main battery plugged in before it will go.

So, finally got my Energypak extender a few weeks ago, and then had to wait for the shop to update the firmware so I could actually use it (Giants app decided it hated my bike on every device I tried to connect with). First ride was today, and I figured I'd pass along a few thoughts in case anyone is looking at the Revolt (or other 2020 Giant) and was wondering how the extender works.

First, mounting and connecting it is pretty simple. Charges off the same charger, but has a different plug So now I have the charger, which has a plug that plugs into the charging port on the bike to charge the main battery. Or I can remove the battery and use an adapter to charge that. Or I can use a different adapter to charge the extender. I feel like they could have standardized those a bit, but what do I know. :p

As for how it works, it seems to talk to the computer, which displays a percentage based on the combined capacity of both batteries. It also seems to draw from both of them while riding, though not totally evenly (after my ride today, I was at 31% left. After unplugging the extender, that dropped to like 14%, so the controller favored drawing from the main battery). Not sure how it decides how much to pull from each one. The extender has a USB port on it if you want to use it as a giant mobile battery bank for whatever reason.

Also, you can't use the bike with just the extender on the bike. It throws an error. It seems to need a main battery plugged in before it will go.
Thanks for this information.

Thanks so much for updating this thread great info

Jabberwocky, I was just reading your latest ride report post and got looking at the pics of your Revolt. The geometry is way different than my 2018 ToughRoad - which, as you know, was replaced by the Revolt. I hadn’t realized it till I saw the pic of the bike up against a stone wall and compared it with mine. Now I suppose I have to go find one to try out sometime! It has to ride differently.

I do very much love that ToughRoad, though, and it would be tough giving up the 500 kW battery pack.

Jabberwocky, I was just reading your latest ride report post and got looking at the pics of your Revolt. The geometry is way different than my 2018 ToughRoad - which, as you know, was replaced by the Revolt. I hadn’t realized it till I saw the pic of the bike up against a stone wall and compared it with mine. Now I suppose I have to go find one to try out sometime! It has to ride differently.

I do very much love that ToughRoad, though, and it would be tough giving up the 500 kW battery pack.
I looked at the Toughroad when I was shopping, but by that point it was phased out (Giant didn't have any in stock, though some shops around the country had them, but I didn't want to deal with buying from a non-local shop).

The battery was my hangup with the Revolt, but in practice its likely less an issue than I thought it would be. Mainly because the stock battery is fine for my shorter, day to day loops (which are 22-25 miles) and my longer weekend loops would need a spare battery with either one (500whr would get me 41ish miles, and I usually go further than that when I have time). All things being equal, more battery is always desirable though, totally with you there.

Couldn't find the 2018s geometry, but the 2019 looks to be the same. Here is the comparison between the 2019 TR and the Revolt (size S, cause thats what I ride):
TVkVpw4h.jpg

They are actually pretty close. The Revolt is a little more modern-gravel-bike (slightly longer wheelbase, slacker seat tube) but overall I'd say they are pretty similar. My Motobecane Century (non-e gravel bike) is more of a traditional endurance bike, so much shorter chainstays (almost an inch shorter than the Revolt), slightly steeper head and seat angle, a bit less BB drop. In practice, the Revolt feels a lot more monster-trucky and the Century feels more darty. Some of that is just bike weight though (the century is less than half the weight of the Revolt). I also run muuuuuuch lighter tires on the Century.

Gravel bikes are almost going down the road of 90s mountainbikes. I see stuff like the Niner MCR 9 and Cannondale Topstones and wonder how far that trend will go. :)

I am undecided but love my acoustic revolt enough that I am still looking at this. Also looking at cargo style bikes like the tern. Decisions, decisions thanks for making mine harder lol. For what it’s worth I would say the rake and trail difference is enough to make me go from toughroad to revolt.

I am also looking at the Revolt E+Pro and a Trek Domane HP. The appeal for the Giant is the price point with what appears to be the same power but with less battery capacity. Wondering if I could get some more feedback on ownership of the Giant.? Thanks

Still loving mine. With the extender its good for 55 miles or so of hilly, rough riding. I've gone more in depth on range in other posts, feel free to search. I'm 100kg and ride mostly dirt/gravel in fairly hilly terrain (100 ft of climbing per mile is pretty typical on my loops). I will say that lately I've been riding my non-e gravel bike and the SO has been riding the Revolt and she gets much better range. Which is to be expected, shes a lot lighter than me. The Revolt is a monster truck. It makes short work of rough, unpaved roads with no fuss or squirreliness. Just point it and put the power down and it goes.

Not sure the Domane is directly comparable. It comes with 35mm tires and maybe it has clearance for a bit more, but the geometry is more roadish than the Revolt. Note the Revolt comes with with 45mm tires and definitely has room for larger. The Revolt+extender would be less expensive than the Domane and have more total battery (615whr vs 500whr). Id say it more comes down to how you intend to use it. If you want more of an endurance road bike that maybe has some dirt ability the Domane would fit the bill. If you want a pure gravel machine, definitely the Revolt.

Still loving mine. With the extender its good for 55 miles or so of hilly, rough riding. I've gone more in depth on range in other posts, feel free to search. I'm 100kg and ride mostly dirt/gravel in fairly hilly terrain (100 ft of climbing per mile is pretty typical on my loops). I will say that lately I've been riding my non-e gravel bike and the SO has been riding the Revolt and she gets much better range. Which is to be expected, shes a lot lighter than me. The Revolt is a monster truck. It makes short work of rough, unpaved roads with no fuss or squirreliness. Just point it and put the power down and it goes.

Not sure the Domane is directly comparable. It comes with 35mm tires and maybe it has clearance for a bit more, but the geometry is more roadish than the Revolt. Note the Revolt comes with with 45mm tires and definitely has room for larger. The Revolt+extender would be less expensive than the Domane and have more total battery (615whr vs 500whr). Id say it more comes down to how you intend to use it. If you want more of an endurance road bike that maybe has some dirt ability the Domane would fit the bill. If you want a pure gravel machine, definitely the Revolt.
Thank you

Simply said, The Revolt E + Pro is a blast!
I have accumulated over 1500 miles on my Revolt since purchasing it this Spring. Most of my daily rides are 20 - 40 miles. I ride with no assist or in the Eco or Basic Mode (Levels 1/5 or 2/5).
When I return from my rides I usually have 40 - 60% of my battery remaining.
I've ordered the Range Extender Battery and will pick it up this weekend but I've come to recognize that I will probably hardly ever use it.

Simply said, The Revolt E + Pro is a blast!
I have accumulated over 1500 miles on my Revolt since purchasing it this Spring. Most of my daily rides are 20 - 40 miles. I ride with no assist or in the Eco or Basic Mode (Levels 1/5 or 2/5).
When I return from my rides I usually have 40 - 60% of my battery remaining.
I've ordered the Range Extender Battery and will pick it up this weekend but I've come to recognize that I will probably hardly ever use it.
Thanks so much

Just got my Revolt E+ Pro and I love it. After reading some feedback here I got mine. I'm 50 miles in and just very happy with it.

I actually traded in my Yamaha Cross Core on the Revolt E+ Pro and I love it. Not to say I didn't enjoy the Cross Core but I wanted the versatility of the Revolt E+ Pro and it has not disappointed. Much has been made about the 375Wh battery, but for me, I think it is fine and the fact it has range extender capabilities is perfect. I ride out from my house typically on a 10-25 mile ride over mixed and hilly terrain. The Yamaha had a 500Wh battery of course, but the motor was not nearly as powerful, so I got the feeling I needed more power from it on the hilly terrain here in North Carolina. It was good for about 35 miles in the mid-level support. I wanted to compare the Revolt E+ so I did a ride 20-mile ride this morning and put the bike in the "Active" mode which is sometimes called 'Normal" in any case it is the middle powder level. When I returned home I had 20% battery remaining. Of course, battery life is highly dependent on terrain and rider weight. So based on my weight 240lbs and the somewhat hilly roads here, I was able to do some extrapolation. I can expect to get about 63% of the predicted range for each on the control readout with the battery at 100% Obviously, these range predictions are for a 150lb rider on flat ground. While I am neither 150lbs or rinding on flat ground, I decided to make a chart for this versus the situation adding the range extender.

I would also add the Basic mode is plenty of assist for nearly any ride.

375Wh Battery Displayed Range versus my Personalized Range (Miles)

ECO 62 / Actual 39
Basic 47 / Actual 29
Active 40 / Actual 25
Sport 35 / Actual 22
Power 26 / 16

375Wh+275Wh Range Extender (These are estimated based on the predicted ranges per watt-hour (I don't have the range extender)

ECO 103 / Actual 64
Basic 78 / Actual 49
Active 66/ Actual 42
Sport 58 / Actual 36
Power 43 / Actual 27

I simply can not agree with those who say the 375Wh battery is terrible or a reason not to buy this bike. I think it is fantastic and the ability to add range is awesome. This is a unique bike an incredibly versatile and really fun bike. Thanks for all those who have sing its praises, I hope this helps those who fear the battery life and write it off because of that.

Added: Redshift Shock Stem, Brooks C17 Cambium Seat, Giant Water Proof Under Seat Bag .6L, Cygolite MetroPro Light and Cygolite Hotshot 50 Tail Light

Last edited:
Just got my Revolt E+ Pro and I love it. After reading some feedback here I got mine. I'm 50 miles in and just very happy with it.

I actually traded in my Yamaha Cross Core on the Revolt E+ Pro and I love it. Not to say I didn't enjoy the Cross Core but I wanted the versatility of the Revolt E+ Pro and it has not disappointed. Much has been made about the 375Wh battery, but for me, I think it is fine and the fact it has range extender capabilities is perfect. I ride out from my house typically on a 10-25 mile ride over mixed and hilly terrain. The Yamaha had a 500Wh battery of course, but the motor was not nearly as powerful, so I got the feeling I needed more power from it on the hilly terrain here in North Carolina. It was good for about 35 miles in the mid-level support. I wanted to compare the Revolt E+ so I did a ride 20-mile ride this morning and put the bike in the "Active" mode which is sometimes called 'Normal" in any case it is the middle powder level. When I returned home I had 20% battery remaining. Of course, battery life is highly dependent on terrain and rider weight. So based on my weight 240lbs and the somewhat hilly roads here, I was able to do some extrapolation. I can expect to get about 63% of the predicted range for each on the control readout with the battery at 100% Obviously, these range predictions are for a 150lb rider on flat ground. While I am neither 150lbs or rinding on flat ground, I decided to make a chart for this versus the situation adding the range extender.

I would also add the Basic mode is plenty of assist for nearly any ride.

375Wh Battery Displayed Range versus my Personalized Range (Miles)

ECO 62 / Actual 39
Basic 47 / Actual 29
Active 40 / Actual 25
Sport 35 / Actual 22
Power 26 / 16

375Wh+275Wh Range Extender (These are estimated based on the predicted ranges per watt-hour (I don't have the range extender)

ECO 103 / Actual 64
Basic 78 / Actual 49
Active 66/ Actual 42
Sport 58 / Actual 36
Power 43 / Actual 27

I simply can not agree with those who say the 375Wh battery is terrible or a reason not to buy this bike. I think it is fantastic and the ability to add range is awesome. This is a unique bike an incredibly versatile and really fun bike. Thanks for all those who have sing its praises, I hope this helps those who fear the battery life and write it off because of that.

Added: Redshift Shock Stem, Brooks C17 Cambium Seat, Giant Water Proof Under Seat Bag .6L, Cygolite MetroPro Light and Cygolite Hotshot 50 Tail Light
Great information - thanks. As another Revolt rider... I love this bike!

Back