30 Chinese Cities are on Level 1 lockdown

• Thread starter Deleted member 4210
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Additionally, if you've ever studied MBTI, you come to realize the people that 'should' a lot don't tend to think intuitively, their go-to process is to see and sense their environment and absorb all that as accepted, as common, as proof because that's what they see, what they sense. They tend to accept 'what is' while the intuitives tend to think 'what could be'. This latter trait is what makes them question, to look underneath, to tear down and analyze. Some call this a 'head in the clouds' type. The former is more accepting of what is, even prefer traditions, you hear the 'we've always done it that way'. The entire make up of trait-type in government and education are of these types - the 'SJ's. Sensing-judgers - they're very sure about what things are and how they 'should' be, so you hear that a lot from them when they try to convey their thoughts and feelings.

A more informed individual recognizes these personality types and thought processes and accepts them as that. Not as bible and verse. Feelings are not facts and logic.

Another interesting phenomenon of the SJ type is their unwillingness to self-assess, and tend to reject the entire concept of trait typing. It's just part of their nature.

Needless to say, I didn't get along well with these types growing up as a child. I was kicked out of nearly every class, sequestered for an individual project, as I was much too disruptive, much too advanced, simply bored out of my mind. I'm an INTJ and it took me 'till I was in my forties before I learned what that meant, and why I always felt like I never quite fit in. This type quite simply just doesn't. They don't gather information and process it and make decisions in the same way as everyone else.

So I'm happy to listen to and accept thoughts and logic, facts and data, even to opinions formulated with same, but always reserve judgment, and trust but verify. I like corroboration, verification, confirmation.

EDIT: Just to give you an idea, was discussing all this with the wife over breakfast. I said I was sick of all these 'experts' and her comment was, "The experts can F-O and die." 🤣
Yep, she's a handful, for sure. She's the master of the $h*t-test. Took me more than a dozen years to figure this out.

Yup, the truth... ENTJ here. ;)

At least Putin is on top of his game looking out for his people, and the American people as well, Putin sent us 60 tons of help.
Funny how Trump was Putin's puppet according to your sources, but NOW Putin is taking care of American people, NOT sending supplies to his puppet.
Funny how that works for the fake news.

We are BUYING THEM from them. This isn't humanitarianism. Or if it is then its for other unknown favors. Maybe it has something to do with OIL.
Odd how we have to buy our medical supplies from the communist countries - china and Russia, don't you think?

Did y'all see Chris Martensons interview with the virologist? Man can that lady TALK!!!!

Aren't we supposed to be in a 'lockdown' here in Illinois, except for those businesses deemed essential, or permitted by the governor's executive order ?

Then why are there so many cars on the road still ?

I mentioned that to my wife, and since I'm still operating my bike shop which is allowed to be open (but doing it as appointment only, to maintain social distancing and allow for me to disinfect between all visits), I am driving to my shop a number of times per day. My observation that I mentioned to her, was it seemed like 50% of typical traffic, just on the roads I traveled.

Well suspicions confirmed.(I underestimated).

According to GPS tracking data, and good ole use of Google maps etc, apparently traffic is around 60% of normal. I didn't expect it to go to zero as people still have to live. Guess people also want to just get out of the house, and aren't used to climbing up the walls with kids and significant others being around 24/7. It is still 'social distancing' being in a car by yourself. It's only a few weeks thus far. Imagine Bill Gates suggested 10 weeks or some 'expert's' saying months ? Americans won't tolerate this lockdown much longer. Virginia is saying June 10th. I think they are really going to have a tough time with that, and the businesses that go under as a result, never to reopen will be unbelievable. Is any one of these governors even really contemplating that outcome ? Our own state was already fiscally in deep trouble.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wanna know where the money is going to come from for the years of it, as is being kited here.
Do people really think that somehow money without production, is going to end up different than it does for Venezuela?
That's why I like that attitude of being back at work before June. Ya gotta just push through it at this point. There's no rolling back the clock. There's no retries. There's think or thwim.

So here is a first hand eye witness perspective on how South Korea handled this so well, and kept the spread to such a minimum, and did so without locking down their entire country or even any city. Can our country learn something from this at all ? Or do we not have the culture, patience, and are we too independent (as observed by the author of this article). It's interesting to say the least given all the time we have had to digest and witness what has happened there and in other countries thus far.

Maybe good news coming. President Trump is working tirelessly to help the nation. He's made friends with India's Prime Minister Modi, and now he's asking for help...India may help with an emergency drug supply.

I do think we have to re evaluate our supply chain strategies immediately. For a long time I closely look at where things I purchase are made and prioritize American or European made goods and avoid China made goods wherever possible but it is hard to impossible in some areas and we are now seeing the danger of our desires for cheap goods.

While I don't disagree, consumers don't generally care where their stuff comes from, as long as they can get it easily, works reasonably well, and is a good price. If they did then the giants in retail would not exist, like Walmart, Home Depot, Costco, Best Buy, and most furniture stores. So it's never happening.

Thankfully our cars aren't made there. Other than Japan, most everything from Asia is junk. A Kia or Hyundai motor sounds like a box of marbles. LOL

I've gotten to where I won't shop Home Depot any longer, all of their hardware is cheap junk from China. Lowes gets my business, but they're only slightly better. But better products, better selection, and a much nicer store.

My side business is a hand-built auto accessory, made with half inch birch-faced cabinet plywood. It's beyond frustrating when the big-box hardware stores don't have such a basic commodity. The local "real" lumber store has beautiful stuff at a really good price, but I have to drive across town, and they're not always open.

Fully agree but this has shown that our access to not only cheap flat screens but essential needs such as medicine, etc is highly vulnerable. Everybody talks about the importance of a service economy and that is where the future lies but, without industry, we are vulnerable.

One of the reasons I like Mike Rowe so much is he highlights how important trades skills are to modern life. When I have a plumbing issue, I want a trained professional. When I ride a train, I am happy there are people working in casting mills to make the wheels. When I want food, I am happy there are farmers.

My job takes me into all kinds of industry but usually after something bad happens so I see first hand supply chain vulnerabilities. Hopefully we are all learning that lesson.

And these views are apolitical in case someone wants to get offended.

When I have a plumbing issue I fix it myself.
When I needed a bigger house I added on.
When it needed a new roof I put a new roof on.
When I wanted a boat I built one.
When my car needed to be painted I painted it.
When it needed to be fixed I fixed it.
When I wanted fresh vegetables I planted a garden.
When the house was cold we chopped wood.
We make our own beer. And yogurt. And bread. Meals are made, not bought.
Clothes are made or repaired, a lot of gear is made.
When my boots wear out I put new soles on them.

I've never ridden a train. 😌

And this is a completely apolitical view as well.
Use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without. 👍

I do think we have to re evaluate our supply chain strategies immediately. For a long time I closely look at where things I purchase are made and prioritize American or European made goods and avoid China made goods wherever possible but it is hard to impossible in some areas and we are now seeing the danger of our desires for cheap goods.
I stopped looking for non-Chinese goods in local stores 10 or 15 years ago, it was taking too much time with often negative results. Though it's still possible to find online.

It began changing in late 80s, by now it has gone a long way and in more ways than one. Losing industrial infrastructure in most countries - as a result of moving everything to China - wasn't smart. Concentrating most of the world manufacturing in one country is also dangerous. This is a country where people are still eating what the rest of the world considers, let's say, inappropriate (and for a good reason - there is strong evidence that Covid-19 and similar earlier epidemics originated from small animals, bats and pangolins). A country where people are still living with a 3rd world mentality supported by 3rd world conditions of work and intense brainwashing, a courtesy of VERY dictatorship, aggressive and well organized leadership that has acquired VERY much financial and military power as a result of this 40-years developement. Sorry, didn't want to sound political.

While I don't disagree, consumers don't generally care where their stuff comes from, as long as they can get it easily, works reasonably well, and is a good price. If they did then the giants in retail would not exist, like Walmart, Home Depot, Costco, Best Buy, and most furniture stores. So it's never happening.

Thankfully our cars aren't made there. Other than Japan, most everything from Asia is junk. A Kia or Hyundai motor sounds like a box of marbles. LOL

I've gotten to where I won't shop Home Depot any longer, all of their hardware is cheap junk from China. Lowes gets my business, but they're only slightly better. But better products, better selection, and a much nicer store.

My side business is a hand-built auto accessory, made with half-inch birch-faced cabinet plywood. It's beyond frustrating when the big-box hardware stores don't have such a basic commodity. The local "real" lumber store has beautiful stuff at a really good price, but I have to drive across town, and they're not always open.

Have you considered making some nice hand-built bike accessories? ;)

Last edited:
While I don't disagree, consumers don't generally care where their stuff comes from, as long as they can get it easily, works reasonably well, and is a good price. If they did then the giants in retail would not exist, like Walmart, Home Depot, Costco, Best Buy, and most furniture stores.
Consumers today have no choice. Other than heavy and bulky construction goods, everything else in big box stores is from China. Sometimes - from Mexico. It's either Chinese microwave (TV, vacuum, hardware, you name it) - or none. What is considered to work "reasonably well" today, 20 years ago would've been a factory reject.

What people don't realize is that Covid-19 might not go away. There is a good chance that when the epidemic ends, the disease will become endemic, coming and going like a seasonal flu, with more severe symptoms and higher mortality. This is another consequence of opening doors to China in the 80s. Probably couldn't have been avoided. Russia share the border with China and would've contributed to China development anyway, for their own reasons.

Last edited:
9CB6784F-88E0-4E1F-93E0-288C2BBFA8AC.jpeg

Canada free press...gotta love it.
Uhh, the optimist in me would like to think that is satire and not serious.

Really, though at this point the best case scenario is that the measures we're all taking are effective and the numbers don't add up to what the models show. Then we'll get lot's of articles about how the medical experts all ruined the economy

We've blown past 300,000 cases of Covid 19, and Trump wants us to wear scarfs because he absolutely failed the American people, and our medical system. Maybe he'll increase military spending yet again, who needs a well funded medical care system anyways, lol!

We've blown past 300,000 cases of Covid 19, and Trump wants us to wear scarfs because he absolutely failed the American people, and our medical system. Maybe he'll increase military spending yet again, who needs a well funded medical care system anyways, lol!
Not a fan of Trump, and yeah his leadership leaves a lot to be desired in this pandemic. But really this has been brewing for at least the last 3 administrations so there's plenty to share the blame. How many times have we been warned that this could happen and how many mini outbreaks did we forget about after a couple news cycles over the last 15+ years?

I have no reason to believe it's satire, nor any to believe it's true.
Just saw it, passing it along.

Surely there are lots of victims of this, but really, I'm still waiting for someone to show me the thousands of deaths we are supposed to get here. Three weeks could definitely change things. I'll be waiting.
I'll swing back by after I'm dead and give an update... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back