250lbs with bad back on a budget

loloc

Hi guys, I've been learning so much on this site and am hoping to get some opinions :)

I am a 5'9" 250lb female with hypermobility, and am looking into buying an electric bicycle. I am currently riding a 20yo mountain bike that really bugs my lower back, no matter how hard I try to concentrate on arching it properly while riding, and am walking up the couple of steeper hills on my commute which doesn't mix well with my knees and Achilles tendon. It's been about 10 years since I've lived somewhere that biking was an option, and I've been pretty frustrated that all these health problems keep getting in the way of being more active. I'm hoping to find an upright e-bike for less than $2,000CAD (~$1,500USD).

One of my concerns is that the cheaper upright-style e-bikes with the swept-back handlebars out there seem to be low-step, and I'm worried about the frame being strong enough as I've read about twisting with heavier riders. Swept-back handlebars aren't a must but being upright is, and it's so hard for me to tell from pics how well the non-swept-back handles actually reach back for you to sit upright. I don't have any problems getting onto my current bike so I'm not too picky about the frame other than the stability. I've also read that a stronger 500W motor would be best, considering my weight plus cargo. I can ride to work on the road but would love the option of being able to trail ride as well, as we have some really awesome mountain trails around here that I've wanted to explore. I'm not sure how well upright riding lends itself to trails though? Especially with the step-over frames, there are a lot of tree roots that I'm guessing might be hard on the weaker frames. I would also prefer a bike that doesn't look too "different" or even obviously electric, as we get a lot of visitors/tourists in the summer and I don't want it to look to tempting for people to steal when it's locked up outside the store or at the beach.

At the moment I'm looking at the iGo Metro Elite from Costco (I've heard they go on sale sometimes,) the Voltbike Elegant, and the RadCity (Step-Thru or not, but the full frame bikes have different handlebars... Not sure if they would work as well for my back?) But there are so. many. bikes out there! Does anyone have any suggestions, or comments on the 3 I mentioned? I live on the West Coast of Canada, so availability seems to be an issue. I won't have the full funds for at least another month, which gives me some time to research and decide. Both the Voltbike and RadCity are also out of stock, and I would wait for the iGo to go on sale, so really another option might be preferable, unless that changes.

Thanks in advance!

I used to be an active trail rider on a Rock Hopper but found the leaning position to be very uncomfortable with my neck/shoulder issues. Basically I got tired of hurting so I strayed away from biking. Recently I discovered E bikes and like you, searched for a bike with a more upright position but something I could take on trails.

The answer for me was the Rad Rover, I just got my yeaterday. The bike has more of an upright position than most of the fat tire bikes on the market. The fat tires give me decent trail riding capability for the times I will want to go off the payment. I'm certainly not saying the Rover is a full mountain bike but very adequate for easy trail work. The Rad would be better for trails than the bikes you had mentioned ( iGo Elite, RadCity and Voltbike Elegant). The Rad has plenty of power (750w hub motor) and has a throttle. The Rad Rover also meets your budget. Rad is out of Seattle and as far as I can tell, has a good customer service departemnt.

A far as Rads being out of stock, Rad brings in new stock about every 2 weeks. They go quick but they are obtainable if you order when they post new stock.

Think Voltbike Yukon is the one you should be looking at not the Elegant for off road. Also rated at 320lb. You would want the frame that is 2 inch smaller which they call the 17 inch which is not on there website to often but you could call. This bike is really close to Radrover so either works, I went Yukon 750 because hydraulic brakes and other overall research lean me that way. Very please so far after two weeks.

Look at Court's video for the Ocean Current. He addresses the frame issue. Whether or not that's a bike you'd be interested in, it's good information.

Thanks for the feedback about the RadRover and Yukon! I had looked at those but wasn't sure about the forward/upright seating. I like the sound of hydraulic brakes on the Yukon as I also have thumb/wrist issues on my right hand, but it does look like the RadRover's handlebars are slightly more set back for more upright seating. I might try to contact an ambassador with a Yukon anyway, just because by the time I added on fenders and a rear rack to the Rover my price point would be quite a bit higher, if they get some in stock that is (it's pretty wet here and I use saddlebags so those are a must.) I'm a little concerned about some of the comments I've seen about customer service with Voltbike though.

I love the look of the OceanCurrent. It's a little more pricey and again doesn't come with a rack or fenders but I gather the slimmer wheels would be better for pavement, with the option for light trail riding. I'd gotten pretty excited about front suspension though so I'll need to do some more thinking about what exactly I need vs want. (Why don't all ebikes come with integrated front and rear lights, for example. It's not a need, but it's still something that will factor into my decision.)

Thanks for the feedback about the RadRover and Yukon! I had looked at those but wasn't sure about the forward/upright seating. I like the sound of hydraulic brakes on the Yukon as I also have thumb/wrist issues on my right hand, but it does look like the RadRover's handlebars are slightly more set back for more upright seating. I might try to contact an ambassador with a Yukon anyway, just because by the time I added on fenders and a rear rack to the Rover my price point would be quite a bit higher, if they get some in stock that is (it's pretty wet here and I use saddlebags so those are a must.) I'm a little concerned about some of the comments I've seen about customer service with Voltbike though.

I love the look of the OceanCurrent. It's a little more pricey and again doesn't come with a rack or fenders but I gather the slimmer wheels would be better for pavement, with the option for light trail riding. I'd gotten pretty excited about front suspension though so I'll need to do some more thinking about what exactly I need vs want. (Why don't all ebikes come with integrated front and rear lights, for example. It's not a need, but it's still something that will factor into my decision.)

loco:

One thing I would look at is how the battery is attached to the frame. Some bikes have three attachment points and some two. This will make a difference especially if you do any trail riding (jolts and bumps). As I recall in a couple of reviews with one of the bikes you mention was the battery connection loosening creating intermittent loss of power. That kind of design flaw is hard to correct and you'll end up using straps to keep the battery from moving. If your on smooth pavement all of the time such a thing will be less of an issue. You mentioned that you wanted to ride on trails as well, so I throw caution to you on the battery mounts.

Slim road tires/wheels don't get along with tree roots on trails. I think its safer and more practical to get a wider somewhat of a trail tire and ride on pavement than a pavement tire and ride on trails.

Hydraulic brakes are nice and any mechanical disc brake can be easily upgrades with parts such as the TRP HY/RD at $116 per wheel within minutes. I have the intention of upgrading my Rover brakes but after a 9 mile ride today in hilly and raining conditions, my mechanical disc brakes performed superbly. So I am questioning that upgrade for now.

Also, look at reviews in regard to customer service. This is key if you have any issues at all. I had placed an order with a company that included fenders and hydraulic brakes for the same pice point as my Rad. I cancelled my order after I read several poor reviews on quality issues and customer service. All the extra goodies for the same price point will not make up for quality issues and lack of support.

The Yukon handle bar reach is 17 inches, the Rad Rover handle bar reach is 16 inches. Not sure on the other bikes you mentioned.

Buying your first e-bike is very challenging, I just went through it. Unfortunately its very difficult to find a bike that does everything, especially $2,000.00.

Good luck on your search, you'll find that right soon!

Last edited:
That's great to know about the brakes! I had no idea conversion would be that easy. Also the battery info, the last thing I want is something that's going to cut out if I go over a bump.

I think you're probably right about the customer service. As someone completely new to ebikes I will need all the help I can get. The Rover is looking more and more like the bike fore me - although in Canada, they only come with a 500W motor rather than the Yukon's 750... If I can sit upright on that I think I could go pretty much anywhere which is kind of exciting! I think the extra inch of reach probably makes a big difference. I'm nervous about the fat tires but I keep thinking that there's a motor, so a little more drag won't actually affect me that much.

Just thought I would mentioned coming soon by Voltbike Trio, guess similar pricing as Yukon 750 but has not been announced yet. Great on grass, gravel, snow and and sand. Trail riding might not work that well.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180707-215622.png
    Screenshot_20180707-215622.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 488
Back