2024 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

GR8 LAKES GRAVEL 2024: The Racing Day

There were three racing formats this year: Ultra (480 km), Classic (100 miles) and Sprint (50 miles). E-Sprint was a subcategory of Sprint; production e-bikes restricted to 25 km/h were allowed. There was not much talking about the batteries though; the intention was to disallow DIY and throttle/fast e-bikes from the competition.

1727165562476.png

My brother Jacek instantly took the lead in his Classic Group 8!

1727165655877.png

There was a very steep climb in the race beginning. To make it better understandable: I had to use SL Turbo mode and the 32-51T gearing to climb there myself! The arrow points at Jacek. (I also have a photo showing weaker riders dismounting and walking their bikes uphill!)

1727166032877.png

My first e-bike competitor met on that morning: Wojtek. As you can see, my facial expression means fear :D (Why does Wojtek ride an e-bike? Lower back ache. He is otherwise a healthy and strong rider).

1727166109674.png

Specialized Vado SL 4.0 was the most chosen e-bike for E-Sprint :) Wojtek's EQ was hardly modified. He added the Cane Creek Thudbuster suspension seatpost and had two Range Extenders stowed in water-bottle cages. He was carrying the water-bottle in a pouch on handlebars. Regarding the tyres, he used 38 mm Schwalbe Marathon (tubed).

1727166399874.png

Anna rode a Mondraker Prime R G4, a full suspension e-MTB with a Smart System Bosch motor and a 750 Wh battery. She said: 'My husband is racing in the Classic. I thought I would ride the E-Sprint not to get bored waiting for him!' :D

1727166620425.png

Darek (riding a Kross Hybrid Prestige 630 (a Polish made e-bike with a Shimano motor and 630 Wh battery, 45 mm tyres) was my only competitor on Sudovia Gravel race.

1727167057510.png

Sebastian (centre), a friend of Darek, came with a Decathlon Rockrider e-MTB. I do not know much about that e-bike except it had a Brose motor and 2.8" tyres. Sebastian was as young and strong as he could easily ride that e-bike above the speed restrictor, at a really high speed!

1727167202812.png

Wojtek (627) starting his race!

1727167471928.png

(The day before) There was a lot of cobblestone on the race route. Washboard gravel was one of the worst surfaces we had to ride though. (I rode my 42 mm tubeless wheels at 40 psi as I am a heavy person).

1727167732339.png

(The day before) Masuria is known for her stoney roads... I soon got used to it!

1727168013523.png

(The day before) I must admit there were long segments of premium gravel on the race as well. The first part of the race led through the woods, where the surfaces were adequate, and the greenery was giving us a nice shade against sunshine on a warm day!

1727168693259.png

(The day before) Masuria is the Land of Three Thousand Lakes. Here, a small cove of Śniardwy, the largest lake of Poland. Unfortunately, we didn't see much lakes on the ride, as the route was planned for the maximum "ride flow", or fast uninterrupted ride, so most lakes were bypassed at a distance.

1727168194727.png

(On the race). The distance table (km) made me laugh, so I had to stop and take this picture. A distance to Warsaw would be understandable but the other city is rather small and not the most distant from Masuria at all! :D

1727168319385.png

35 km into the race. Because of drought this year, even good gravel roads became sandy! (In the last part of the race, we had to negotiate deep sand for even 2 kilometres!) Here, I shortly stopped to discover I lost my tail-light (because of the road vibration). The light was later found by the organiser crew and I could collect it in Warsaw on Monday!

1727168852755.png

Your typical Masurian countryside during the drought.

1727168922684.png

The only pit-stop for the Sprint. I realized I was the last rider on the race there! That could not last long... :D I greatly accelerated!

1727168992265.png

No time to stop and take pictures! Masuria is undulated. It is not as hilly as Sudovia but the share of climbs was significant (I consistently rode at SL 75/75%, 25 km/h restricted).

1727169137382.png

1727169813334.png

One of very few places where we actually could see some water was Szymoński Canal, one of many canals connecting Great Lakes.

Actually Racing
As soon as I learned from a rider I was the last person in the race, I accelerated and didn't allow me any more stops on the ride! This way, I could overtake nine riders. As we met "the bathtubs of sand", I took the opportunity of that chance equalizer. The lightweight Vado SL helped me riding on the edge of the field (even if the surface was still loose there). I was actually sprinting, and used SL Turbo for the last kilometres to stay at 25 km/h. 10th last place in Sprint? Come on, I am a 63-yo person with medical conditions! :)

When I was riding through the finish line, the announcer said through the PA: 'Here's Stefan Mikulski, the winner of Sudovia Gravel E-Sprint! He was not lucky this time!' and all my e-Sprint competitors cheered! ❤️

1727170360173.png

Anna won the E-Sprint race, and was the 2nd Female Sprinter overall! Kudos to her!

1727170458621.png

The E-Sprint Men podium: Wojtek (1st), Sebastian (2nd), Darek (3rd). Wojtek told me he had a chance to win E-Sprint but he made a stop on the ride... :)

1727170572337.png

Jacek finishing the Classic Race. He was 81st/251.

1727170626857.png

My brother missed a riding partner on that race to get a better place!

1727177463968.png

My E-Sprint race map. I started Wahoo 300 m from the starting line.

After the race, people started gathering for social events. I admit we drank a little that night :)

Last edited:
Some interesting metrics from the GLG E-Sprint:
1727222248013.png

An E-Bike Segment for the 'cobblestone' part of the ride.

1727222183347.png

I checked on Anna stats: She was riding at a high heart rate, and I can bet she had to pedal hard above the speed restrictor! Two riders are missing here as both Sebastian and Darek are 'lamers' as it comes to recording rides in particular, and to using the internet in general. They should take the third and the fourth place here!

Another interesting fact: I hear Wojtek could pedal his Vado SL at 32 km/h (20 mph) on asphalt, which again proves a strong young man could benefit from riding a lightweight e-bike!

1727223220943.png

The view from our "Sunny Terraces" guesthouse. Mikołajki is an expensive town! The guesthouse was reasonably priced, offered a great view, and was so close to the starting line of the race!

1727222905531.png

The waterfront in Mikołajki (German: Nikolaiken). The starting line was just several metres from that place!

1727222975682.png

The main square of Mikołajki. Villa Mazur was there since 1888!

1727223015480.png

A gorgeous Kross Esker RS. A full carbon, electronic drivetrain gravel bike made in Poland.

1727223067531.png

That specific bike was GLG branded. Not a cheap bicycle at all!

1727223105177.png

This is how my smart brother transports bikes inside his car! Note the board with thru-axle attachments he made himself!

1727223359777.png

I guess no woman would like to live together with us! :D

No littering!
One of the race rules was "No littering!" If someone reported a rider for littering the trail, the offender could even be disqualified. The organisers made several Toyota Hilux (and bike) rides along the route prior and after the race. The early trips were to ensure the routes had a good "flow" for riders, while the last trip was to collect any litter left, and foremost to find any lost equipment. So they could find, among others, my lost Knog Road Blinder tail-light! What great people!

Last edited:
I havent ridden for a few days, my mothers neighbour, a lovely woman with bad health problems, but still goes shopping for my mum, and has done for decades, well her entire kitchen floor collapsed with dry rot, quoted 5 grand, she hasnt even got 500.
So I volunteered to rebuild it, cant be that bad surely.
15 6 x3 joists ,4m by 3m, I picked them up, cut them, fitted them, then 20 floorboards as well.
Im completely and utterly fickd, just crashing on the bed every night.

That is proper exercise.

I havent ridden for a few days, my mothers neighbour, a lovely woman with bad health problems, but still goes shopping for my mum, and has done for decades, well her entire kitchen floor collapsed with dry rot, quoted 5 grand, she hasnt even got 500.
15 6 x3 joists ,4m by 3m, I picked them up, cut them, fitted them, then 20 floorboards as well.

That is proper exercise.
Nicely done mate!

GR8 LAKES GRAVEL 2024: The Racing Day

There were three racing formats this year: Ultra (480 km), Classic (100 miles) and Sprint (50 miles). E-Sprint was a subcategory of Sprint; production e-bikes restricted to 25 km/h were allowed. There was not much talking about the batteries though; the intention was to disallow DIY and throttle/fast e-bikes from the competition.

View attachment 182910
My brother Jacek instantly took the lead in his Classic Group 8!

View attachment 182911
There was a very steep climb in the race beginning. To make it better understandable: I had to use SL Turbo mode and the 32-51T gearing to climb there myself! The arrow points at Jacek. (I also have a photo showing weaker riders dismounting and walking their bikes uphill!)

View attachment 182913
My first e-bike competitor met on that morning: Wojtek. As you can see, my facial expression means fear :D (Why does Wojtek ride an e-bike? Lower back ache. He is otherwise a healthy and strong rider).

View attachment 182914
Specialized Vado SL 4.0 was the most chosen e-bike for E-Sprint :) Wojtek's EQ was hardly modified. He added the Cane Creek Thudbuster suspension seatpost and had two Range Extenders stowed in water-bottle cages. He was carrying the water-bottle in a pouch on handlebars. Regarding the tyres, he used 38 mm Schwalbe Marathon (tubed).

View attachment 182916
Anna rode a Mondraker Prime R G4, a full suspension e-MTB with a Smart System Bosch motor and a 750 Wh battery. She said: 'My husband is racing in the Classic. I thought I would ride the E-Sprint not to get bored waiting for him!' :D

View attachment 182917
Darek (riding a Kross Hybrid Prestige 630 (a Polish made e-bike with a Shimano motor and 630 Wh battery, 45 mm tyres) was my only competitor on Sudovia Gravel race.

View attachment 182918
Sebastian (centre), a friend of Darek, came with a Decathlon Rockrider e-MTB. I do not know much about that e-bike except it had a Brose motor and 2.8" tyres. Sebastian was as young and strong as he could easily ride that e-bike above the speed restrictor, at a really high speed!

View attachment 182919
Wojtek (627) starting his race!

View attachment 182920
(The day before) There was a lot of cobblestone on the race route. Washboard gravel was one of the worst surfaces we had to ride though. (I rode my 42 mm tubeless wheels at 40 psi as I am a heavy person).

View attachment 182921
(The day before) Masuria is known for her stoney roads... I soon got used to it!

View attachment 182922
(The day before) I must admit there were long segments of premium gravel on the race as well. The first part of the race led through the woods, where the surfaces were adequate, and the greenery was giving us a nice shade against sunshine on a warm day!

View attachment 182925
(The day before) Masuria is the Land of Three Thousand Lakes. Here, a small cove of Śniardwy, the largest lake of Poland. Unfortunately, we didn't see much lakes on the ride, as the route was planned for the maximum "ride flow", or fast uninterrupted ride, so most lakes were bypassed at a distance.

View attachment 182923
(On the race). The distance table (km) made me laugh, so I had to stop and take this picture. A distance to Warsaw would be understandable but the other city is rather small and not the most distant from Masuria at all! :D

View attachment 182924
35 km into the race. Because of drought this year, even good gravel roads became sandy! (In the last part of the race, we had to negotiate deep sand for even 2 kilometres!) Here, I shortly stopped to discover I lost my tail-light (because of the road vibration). The light was later found by the organiser crew and I could collect it in Warsaw on Monday!

View attachment 182926
Your typical Masurian countryside during the drought.

View attachment 182927
The only pit-stop for the Sprint. I realized I was the last rider on the race there! That could not last long... :D I greatly accelerated!

View attachment 182928
No time to stop and take pictures! Masuria is undulated. It is not as hilly as Sudovia but the share of climbs was significant (I consistently rode at SL 75/75%, 25 km/h restricted).

View attachment 182929
View attachment 182930
One of very few places where we actually could see some water was Szymoński Canal, one of many canals connecting Great Lakes.

Actually Racing
As soon as I learned from a rider I was the last person in the race, I accelerated and didn't allow me any more stops on the ride! This way, I could overtake nine riders. As we met "the bathtubs of sand", I took the opportunity of that chance equalizer. The lightweight Vado SL helped me riding on the edge of the field (even if the surface was still loose there). I was actually sprinting, and used SL Turbo for the last kilometres to stay at 25 km/h. 10th last place in Sprint? Come on, I am a 63-yo person with medical conditions! :)

When I was riding through the finish line, the announcer said through the PA: 'Here's Stefan Mikulski, the winner of Sudovia Gravel E-Sprint! He was not lucky this time!' and all my e-Sprint competitors cheered! ❤️

View attachment 182931
Anna won the E-Sprint race, and was the 2nd Female Sprinter overall! Kudos to her!

View attachment 182932
The E-Sprint Men podium: Wojtek (1st), Sebastian (2nd), Darek (3rd). Wojtek told me he had a chance to win E-Sprint but he made a stop on the ride... :)

View attachment 182933
Jacek finishing the Classic Race. He was 81st/251.

View attachment 182934
My brother missed a riding partner on that race to get a better place!

View attachment 182936
My E-Sprint race map. I started Wahoo 300 m from the starting line.

After the race, people started gathering for social events. I admit we drank a little that night :)
Lovely pics, is that the Galaxy 24?.

That is proper exercise.
What a great thing to do!
And welcome to my world lol

Lovely pics, is that the Galaxy 24?.
Thank you!
Indeed, it is the S24. However, I process the photos with Adobe Lightroom, and give them the final touch with ON1 Effects. (Currently, Lightroom is as good as I actually could skip the ON1). Many of the photos from the waterfront were technically bad (taken against the sun), so the processing really helped.

1727335013154.png

Current Adobe Lightroom has two functions that really help enhancing photos. One is the Dehaze that makes most pictures look good and crispy. The other is AI masking; you can automatically select Subject, Object, People, Background, or Sky in addition to regular masking option (and then you can Invert the selection if needed). My e-bike was the Subject here, so it was easy to make it stand out. Dehaze made the water look beautiful.

Last edited:
I was active as a photographer in the last decade, and my last camera is a Pentax K-1. However, DSLRs are too heavy and too vulnerable to take them on e-bike trips, hence I use the photo processing skill and tools applied to the good takes from a good smartphone. I actually should start shooting the photos RAW, and process the RAW files instead of JPGs.

Back