2024 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

Yes, all of Asia beyond Turkey and Iran, Africa, Madagascar, Central and South America, most of the Caribbean, Antarctica, the Arctic, Greenland, Iceland, eastern Canada, Norway, the Balkans, the Falklands, Mallorca, Ibiza, Sicily, Corsica, Russia, Indonesia, most Pacific and Atlantic ocean islands, nearly all of Australia and the ocean floor, and Scranton, New Jersey.

Wow, I better get busy!
;^}
Yes and you’ll need more than a bike, especially for the underwater stuff.

Today, wife and I did a little tour through the vineyards of the Alexander Valley wine country.
IMG_2197.png

Vineyards for miles.
IMG_2184.jpeg

And many high end wineries
IMG_2180.jpeg

IMG_2182.jpeg

The harvest season is under way but these are not quite ready yet
IMG_2188.jpeg

Stopped to show my wife this house along the route. It was a tiny little shack until my buddy (another contractor) and I rebuilt it, basically we added the whole front that you see, along with a major remodel.
IMG_2187.jpeg

Plenty of art along the way
IMG_2196.jpeg

IMG_2192.jpeg

IMG_2193.jpeg

IMG_2190.jpeg

We passed many more cool wineries, including the Francis Ford Coppola, but couldn’t stop as we both picked up the evil goat head thorns in our rear tires and had to race the last 8 miles back before our tires went completely flat. I had a patch kit and tools, but we made it back. We are going to revisit this route again, but this time we will not be pulling off the road into the weeds.

Yes, all of Asia beyond Turkey and Iran, Africa, Madagascar, Central and South America, most of the Caribbean, Antarctica, the Arctic, Greenland, Iceland, eastern Canada, Norway Finland, the Balkans, the Falklands, Mallorca, Ibiza, Sicily, Corsica, Russia, Indonesia, most Pacific and Atlantic ocean islands, nearly all of Australia and the ocean floor, and Scranton, New Jersey.

Wow, I better get busy!
;^}
Based on the places where you haven't been to I assume you were to Poland and Sweden?

Great Lakes Gravel Technical Pre-Ride

We arrived in Mikołajki on the Great Masurian Lakes together with Jacek on Friday afternoon. Very soon, we were on a ride to detect any issues related to our bikes, and understand the terrain.

Which turned out to be washboard gravel combined with cobblestone 😃

20240920_152705.jpg
Jacek, wannabe King of Cobblestone taking a photo of the beginning of the Premium segment mark 😃 (there is an extra competition held there!)

20240920_153316.jpg
Damaged cobblestone. The terrain was as shaky as the Range Extender cage loosen up and the Range Extender cable plug was falling out the socket all the time! (All these things to fix after our return).

20240920_161635.jpg
A brief look on Śniardwy, the biggest lake of Poland. A place known as Suchy Róg (Dry Corner).

20240920_164251.jpg
The return way felt a way easier and faster!

20240920_181931.jpg
Back at the guesthouse. We had to fix our bikes. (Jacek's derailleur had almost fallen apart!) Later, we were issued our Starter Packets by the organizers.

20240920_190505.jpg
I rode my Vado SL (unassisted) to an Italian restaurant for supper. Mikołajki is the capital of inland sailing of Poland but now it is off-season. 700 people coming here this weekend will be a nice boost to the local economy!

20240920_211520.jpg
After the evening briefing, we went to the bar 😊

Screenshot_20240920_223947_Strava.jpg

34 km ridden today.

I just got round to watching your video, PD and I'm just blown away! Its like Scotland on steroids! ;) Just spectacular mate!👌
True, but then I could say the same about Scotland. Videos do have a way of capturing our attention but can only provide a glimpse of what it is really like to cycle amongst such incredible beauty. I can only imagine what kind of footage you could provide for viewers if you were to strap a camera to your bike. I'm waiting for that day. 🤞

GR8 LAKES GRAVEL E-SPRINT
  1. Anna Pilecka-Kalamarz (Mondraker Prime R G4 750 Wh, 2.6" tyres) first place overall, second place Female Sprint
  2. Wojciech Bortkiewicz (Vado SL 4.0 EQ, 38 mm tyres) first place Men
  3. Dariusz Bigus (Decathlon Rockrider e-MTB, 2.8" tyres) second place Men
  4. Darek Ługowski (Kross e-trekking 630 Wh, 45 mm tyres) third place Men
  5. Stefan Mikulski (Vado SL 4.0, 42 mm tyres) outside podium 😃
20240921_155635.jpg

Anna! She beat four men!

20240921_155815.jpg

My competitors: Sebastian, Wojtek, Darek. Kudos to them!

More: later 😊 It was a hard race. I was the tenth last rider of 59 who finished the Sprint race (e-bike and traditional bikes).

@Jeremy McCreary: the young man riding a Vado SL could have won hadn't he made a single stop!

Last edited:
I must tell you a story guys before I fall asleep 😃

It was the nth segment of the rough cobblestone on the race today. I had enough so rode full speed without even trying the roadside (which actually didn't exist there).

As I was zooming the rough road, i could feel some liquid sprinkling on my legs.

It was the water bottle shaken by the stones 😁

Goodnight!

I must tell you a story guys before I fall asleep 😃

It was the nth segment of the rough cobblestone on the race today. I had enough so rode full speed without even trying the roadside (which actually didn't exist there).

As I was zooming the rough road, i could feel some liquid sprinkling on my legs.

It was the water bottle shaken by the stones 😁

Goodnight!
You're lucky. No guarantee at your age that it was just water.
;^}

Or, you've just completed a morderous climb and turned into a singletrack. The trail is blocked by an infantry armoured carrier. You slow down and push yourself between the vehicle and a ravine. Behind, you find an Army squad in new uniforms and with impeccably clean assault rifles.

Not knowing what to say, you address the soldiers with 'Good day to you!' to which they machinally respond "and to you, too!'

Nice it was not said in Russian!
😃

With the end of the month quickly approaching and the autumn equinox set to arrive, the final days of summer will soon be a distant memory.

1727066713264.jpeg

Harvest season has all but wrapped up for all but a few locals who are in a rush to get their crops off or need to haul bales from field to storage.

1727066757693.jpeg

1727066771715.jpeg

Highlight of today’s 35 km ride was being passed by this trio of riders who had just exited off the gravel portion of this range road.

1727066805777.jpeg

1727086229416.png

I was worried about mist and fog preventing my ride to Knockhill Racing Circuit yesterday for the 50th anniversary bike festival meeting, I really didn't want to take the car! The circuit opened in 1974, I first attended in 1979 and have been every year since! Luckily it was just misty with no sign of fog and despite a chilly NE wind I elected to take the bike and wrap up well! I was so glad I made that decision, especially once I had reached the circuit after battling that chilly wind!

I made my way down to Falkirk and over the Kincardine bridge and as I was nearing Forestmill the mist cleared a bit and I got a nice view of the Ochil Hills for the first time on my ride!

1727086581676.jpeg

1727086595453.jpeg

At Forestmill I turned on to the quiet back road to Saline and immediately had a massive tractor in front of me taking up the whole road, thankfully the driver spotted me and pulled over enough to let me pass! I thanked him with a cheery wave and he gave me a thumbs up! 👍 I got some respite from the wind thanks to all the trees lining this road, I then had the climb up to Saline!

1727086819107.jpeg

I chose to to take the back road from Saline up to Knockhill and would use the main road on the way back with a nice tailwind to enjoy! The road is a bit rough at the start but as you head up the climb it gets better and better until the recently resurfaced part near the top! I could feel the wind here but the climb kept me toasty!

1727086943435.jpeg

A short time later I arrived at the circuit and it was very busy on the way in so I was very glad I was on the bike and was able to pass all the cars and jump the queue! ;) Some photos from the races and track displays which had most of the champions from 1974 up to this year!

1727087275428.jpeg

1727087292513.jpeg

1727087305574.jpeg

1727087318269.jpeg

1727087331854.jpeg

Then came the best part, they had arranged a track walk at lunchtime so I was walking round with my bike and on reaching the hairpin which is the last corner before the main straight I took this photo!

1727087447609.jpeg

I waited for the crowds to clear and rode my bike up the main straight!😁

At the start/finish line!

1727087530279.jpeg

I wanted to ask one of the officials if I could do a quick circuit of the track but they were surrounded by people so maybe next time, not in 50 years though!😂 After the meeting I was really looking forward to my ride home with a lovely 20mph tailwind all the way! The descent down in to Steelend and Saline was just incredible, nudging 40mph all the way down!:D I then joined the back road to Forestmill again and got some nice views of the Ochils again!

1727087958134.jpeg

1727087972443.jpeg

1727087985593.jpeg

I continued over the Kincardine bridge again and took the road into Carronshore this time, before heading up the big climb near Falkirk! I stopped at the canal for a snack and a break before tackling the climb and grabbed a few photos!

1727088149366.jpeg

1727088163006.jpeg

1727088176556.jpeg

1727088191001.jpeg

I then headed up the 20% climb (ridewithgps says the max was 13.6%):rolleyes: At the top of the climb I normally turn left for home but I made the decision to turn right and enjoy the tailwind for a few miles more, I was greeted with this sight soon after so I was very happy with my decision to turn right!

1727088411240.jpeg

1727088425459.jpeg

This road is in great condition also and has some lovely big descents!

1727088468071.jpeg

1727088481191.jpeg

The road takes you into Allandale where I turned left for Castlecary with the wind still right at my back, its amazing how much warmer a cold wind is when its behind you!;) From Castlecary I took the road to Abronhill and then the big climb up towards Slamannan!

This road is also in great condition after a resurface earlier this year, this is the flatter part before it ramps up again!

1727088689641.jpeg

At the top of the climb I turned right for Greengairs and still had the wind at my back, from there it was a ride over the back roads to home where I arrived fresh as a daisy after enjoying that tailwind all the way from Knockhill!:D After dinner I conked out though, I guess the day took a lot out of me but what a day it was!👍After my last ride I only needed 16 miles to reach 5000 for the year, that was surpassed not long into my ride! Check out the climbing stats for the year, its just mindblowing!:eek:

1727088959057.jpeg

Attachments

• elevation_profile346.jpg
    elevation_profile346.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 7
  • trip-223928819-map-full346.png
    trip-223928819-map-full346.png
    490.7 KB · Views: 7
Great Lakes Gravel Day 3: The Ryn Ride

Back from the Great Lakes of Poland! Let me share some new photos and impressions.

1727089596436.png

Your typical Great Lakes, 7:37 am in Mikołajki, by Lake Mikołajki. It was 9 C and dense fog!

Great Lakes are driven by the season. Crowds of people (including sailors and motorboat folk) come there in the Summer but September means closing most of restaurants and stores. Now, stores are closed not only because of the general closure but also for Sundays! How to buy anything you need including sports beverages? Well, there was a single small grocery store open on that very Sunday morning... (I was riding my Vado SL with assistance OFF for anything I needed to do in the town! Walking is not for me!)

1727090652568.png

10 am, and the best restaurant in the town opens for breakfast. My brother Jacek is regularly riding with two gravel groups in Warsaw, so he has many friends!

1727090747973.png

Mikołajki is a nice cosy town when it is free from the holiday crowds!

1727090803797.png

On a beautifully undulated bike path north of Mikołajki.

1727090844172.png

Lake Tałty. Still some sailing activity there!

1727090883115.png

I was using one of ready made Komoot routes. It lead us into technical singletrack I better avoided! :D (The little cove to the left is called Skanal).

1727090974323.png

Now, I started regretting the choice of the route! Here, I had tu push my Fearless up a steep hill in deep sand! And then dangerous descents followed!

1727091056297.png

We got onto premium gravel roads. Here, a place of a funny name: Rybical :)

1727091109810.png

The first Teutonic Knights arrived here from Germany in 1283. Upon seeing the location, they reportedly exclaimed: 'How beautiful here! It reminds us Rhine River!' hence they named the place Rhein. The current name of the town is Ryn. Here, the view across Lake Ryn.

1727091289393.png

For so many years of the Communism, the province of Masuria (in the former East Prussia) was totally underdeveloped. A sailing crew could expect a dilapidated marina, a single dirty grocery store, and occasionally a dive bar. Nowadays, any significant Masurian sailing place has a glamorous waterfront, an Ecomarina, a petrol station for motorboats, several stores, restaurants, hotels...

1727091716661.png

The Ryn Inn in the foreground, and the Teutonic Castle of Ryn far in the background. Rhein was planned to become a Teutonic Prosecutor town in 1377, and the construction of the castle began. Unexpectedly, Rhein was elevated to the rank of Komtur town in 1393, and the castle got greatly expanded. One Friedrich von Wallenrode became the first Komtur; he was brother to the Grand Master Konrad von Wallenrode, the latter being the hero of one of our national poems (Konrad was pictured by our poet Adam Mickiewicz as a Lithuanian agent deep in the structure of the Teutonic Order, which was not a historical fact).

1727092193224.png

You decide to take an easy path back towards Mikołajki and then you think how to make a detour :)

1727092382066.png

As we were sitting in Knife In The Water bar, Jacek spotted this man. Mariusz (age 65) was the oldest Ultramarathon rider of the 480 km race. He needed 57 hours for the ride (with obvious overnight stays) to cover the distance. He rode a simple bike with 3x9 drivetrain, and used one of the first "armoured" GSM phones from late 1990s! What a feat! For comparison, the Ultra winner only rode for 17 hours, 27 minutes and 50 seconds, so he arrived two minutes to midnight the same day he started his ride at 6:30 am!

Last edited:
Back