2023 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

Another nice day today. But only a short ride today.

DG…

Attachments

• IMG_1905.jpeg
    IMG_1905.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 75
Two new items of cycling clothing in my wardrobe: a Northwave jersey, and Castelli bibs (with braces). I'm fond of the new clothes, only the bib braces could be longer a little bit!
I’ve been wearing Castelli bibs for a while they are by far my favorites to date. However, I acquired a pair of ALE Stones cargo bibs recently and find them to be very comfortable particularly during long hours in the saddle. They supposedly fall under their off-road/gravel collection but IMO, they are also superb road bib shorts. If you’re not into wearing cycling jerseys, cargo/gravel shorts have plenty of mesh pockets to tuck your phone or other small essential into.

1691808973057.png

Another nice day today. But only a short ride today.
Any ride is better than none. 👍 Mine was just about as ho-hum as most every ride this week but was briefly interrupted when a moose crossed the road on the return leg. This was the only shot that I was able to take of it as he/she was moving pretty fast through the crop of wheat. If anything, I guess it was something to chat about on the way home.

PXL_20230811_231756343.jpg

We make a habit of doing a slow lap around this cemetery in tribute to my parents who lay in rest here both of who were a great influence in my life. 🥰
PXL_20230811_233758153.jpg

Last edited:
I’ve been wearing Castelli bibs for a while they are by far my favorites to date.
I am not sure about one thing with them. They are slippery; I'm slightly sliding on my saddle in the Castelli bibs (@mschwett should it be happening?) Otherwise these bibs are excellent. There is a sizing issue with the Castellis. It is because of my non-proportional body build: the braces are a tad too short.

However, I acquired a pair of ALE Stones cargo bibs recently and find them to be very comfortable particularly during long hours in the saddle. They supposedly fall under their off-road/gravel collection but IMO, they are also superb road bib shorts. If you’re not into wearing cycling jerseys, cargo/gravel shorts have plenty of mesh pockets to tuck your phone or other small essential into.
It is an interesting suggestion. I own a very lightweight "breathing" MTB jersey, and would love wearing cargo shorts with it. Maybe when I move back to my Old Home, as I have no space for more clothing where I live now!

I am not sure about one thing with them. They are slippery; I'm slightly sliding on my saddle in the Castelli bibs
Most shorts fabric contents are made from combination of nylon and Spandex/Lycra. Lycra does tend to have a somewhat slippery texture which might contribute to sliding down on the saddle. Some brands will also use polyester as it’s lightweight and breathable and likely to be less slippery. I believe Rapha’s Core Bib shorts are made from a blend of poly and elastane. Perhaps wearing bibs might further enhance that sliding sensation as I find that they do have a more athletic fit than bib-less shorts. I’ve always had my saddle nose slightly adjusted a few mm upward so consequently I’ve never had an issue of sliding.

Last edited:
I did not say "sliding off the saddle" :) I say "sliding on the saddle" :) No other bibs or padded shorts I own do that to me!

Glorious day for a ride today. Our region is pulling itself out of a long (2 month), cold (20C) winter. Temps were mid 20s with a fresh breeze blowing from inland.
IMG_20230812_151532.jpg

Full morning to myself (rare) and no riding buddies (sadly quite common) I got to set my own pace and path. I used it to explore some gloriously rutted and sketchy trials spotted on the map.

I wrapped up the ride when my 630wh battery was down to single bar. Just as well - I think this ride, mostly single track with lots of climbing and descending, was about my limit.

And a win for the Matildas to cap off the day!
Screenshot_20230812_155032.jpg

20 Celsius cold? I had to convert that to Fahrenheit to understand it. That’s about my favorite temperature to ride in and I’d still be wearing shorts. Come to Illinois in January then we can discuss winter. 🥶

I rode 24 mikes today and the only thing I took a picture of was an old John Deere tractor. Going by the looks of things he is “going to fix it up someday”. This generally translates to never. Nice day for a ride but the 1200th headwind made me crank up the assist on part of the ride home.
IMG_2237.jpeg

20 Celsius cold? I had to convert that to Fahrenheit to understand it. That’s about my favorite temperature to ride in and I’d still be wearing shorts. Come to Illinois in January then we can discuss winter. 🥶
Tongue firmly in cheek. We've got it pretty easy weather-wise here. We're about 150km south of a town known for its 'optimal temperature'. Having said that, our winter nights get down to single digits and our houses are abysmally built for the cold. There's still no formal requirement for thermal insulation certification, last time I checked. I've heard more than once from Scandinavian visitors that they've never been as cold as staying in an Australian house in winter. Ours leaks like a sieve.

Nice ride out today, around Stanwick Lakes, one of our favourite places.
IMG_1908.jpeg

IMG_1911.jpeg

Weather was fine for most of day, with a couple of occasions of light showers.

However, on the way home it absolutely threw it down.

DG…

My sister who lived in New Caledonia use to complain she was cold in the 20C "cold" winters while wearing a short sleeve T shirt....

Have you tried long sleeve T shirts I asked :)
It reminds me of meeting an Indonesian on one of our business meetings in Hungary. It was a Hungarian summer of nice 26 C (79 F) temperature (a tad too warm for most of us). The Indonesian was wearing a thick zipped jacket and was shaking from cold, especially as the restaurant was air-conditioned. As he explained, they did not use AC in Indonesia only fans, and the temperature in his country was 36 C (97 F).

I did not say "sliding off the saddle" :) I say "sliding on the saddle" :) No other bibs or padded shorts I own do that to me!
The only thing I can suggest is if it bothers you that much why not simply switch back to your original bibs? Or wear them in rotation with your other shorts and perhaps with enough time in the saddle they will stop sliding around.

The only thing I can suggest is if it bothers you that much why not simply switch back to your original bibs? Or wear them in rotation with your other shorts and perhaps with enough time in the saddle they will stop sliding around.
Ordered a pair of bibbed tights to try. First time of ordering this style of clothing.

Went for the a Danish Endurance ones as currently use their leggings and know that their clothing fits me. The leggings have been good and comfortable. However, the elastic waistband is beginning to roll over, making it a bit uncomfortable now.

Never used bibs or a pad before, so that should be interesting.

DG…

Another bike ride with the wife around part of the river today …..circa 22 klms……glorious winters day again.

The path was undulating with the first pic at our highest point above the river. In the distance is our city with the Optus Stadium (3rd largest capacity in Australia) to the right just above the river tree line. We continued our ride to the stadium and stopped at the restaurant/bar in the stadium precinct for a steak sandwich and a couple of pints each.

The second pic is looking back at the stadium and the bridge we rode over as we continued our journey around the river then on to home. A flying fox operates from the top of the other side of the bridge back to the river bank.

IMG_1542.jpeg
IMG_1543.jpeg

Last edited:
Ordered a pair of bibbed tights to try. First time of ordering this style of clothing.

Went for the a Danish Endurance ones as currently use their leggings and know that their clothing fits me. The leggings have been good and comfortable. However, the elastic waistband is beginning to roll over, making it a bit uncomfortable now.

Never used bibs or a pad before, so that should be interesting.

DG…
I think that you'll find that bib shorts/tights tend to stay in place better than those without. The straps are designed to help keep them in place without the need for an uncomfortably tight waistband which is a welcome feature. Relieving yourself during a ride could present a problem but depending on the style and brand, I’ve personally found that there is enough stretch in the fabric to overcome this challenge. The chamois is a key component of any padded short/tights and if you’re going to be doing long days in the saddle, spending a bit more is likely going to get you a more comfortable and durable pair. I don't own a pair of bib tights myself but assume that most likely have some sort of silicone grips or loops worked into the ankle cuffs to prevent them from moving up though zippers at the cuffs are more convenient for easy on/off.

I rode 14 miles today, it started raining 10 seconds before I finished so I barely beat the rain. No pictures today so a blast from the past picture. A picture from my drag racing days, a 1970 Challenger I had restored in the late 1980’s. This picture is from about 1990 if I were to guess. I use the term drag racing loosely because I’ve made maybe 50 to 75 passes total in this car and a couple of others. The car is long gone, I sold it a few years after this picture.
IMG_1961.jpeg

Back