2023 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

Yesterdays ride in between the rain.
IMG_1871.jpeg

DG…

You seasoned map readers will immediately see the fatal flaw in this thinking!
Which reminds me @rbush of my own misadventure of a similar kind. It was 2020 vacation soon after I bought my full-suspension e-MTB. I set off for a very easy trail in the Polish Table Mountains. At some large forest clearing, I made a navigation error and rode into a hike trail.

1691393285708.png

I must have lost my mind to venture something like that! :D

1691393367614.png

I had to walk my e-bike often. Here, the "Point Of No Return".
1691393468742.png

After a quite long ride I met a rocky passage that could only be cleared by foot... Some hikers helped me carry the e-bike there.

Eventually, I met a very steep staircase and realized I would not be capable to climb it, even with the Walk Mode. A seasoned hiker told me I could cross the forest via an "escape trail". As it was totally overgrown, I found myself in a place blocked by very big fallen trees. I was scared and desperate. I did a big effort to carry my e-bike over a big tree trunk. Totally exhausted, I simply threw the e-MTB down the valley and walked up to it to continue the walk through the forest...

1691393941660.png

See the person who knows he avoided certain death in the area without mobile coverage. As I determined later, the whole hiking trail was just 1.3 km (1,400 yds) long, and it could cost me my dear life because of my stupidity!

That was one of incidents that made me resign from mountain trail riding!

It seemed like another typical ride this morning
@Prairie Dog: What is that Cannondale bike/e-bike?

Last edited:
The "Frigate" and "I Don't Like Mondays" Restaurant Bars

Taking the benefit of the vacation season and the weekend and emptied streets, I took the shortest route via Aleje Jerozolimskie (The Jerusalem Avenues or simply "The Avenues") on Sunday. Normally, there would be heavy traffic on that artery!

1691396392117.png

"Fregata". A restaurant bar established in Saska Kępa, Warsaw in 1960 and in operation until today. A 1968 photo.

To get to Saska Kępa, I rode across the City of Warsaw by main streets.

1691396491105.png

The Varso Tower is 230 m (755 ft) high to the roof, and it is 310 m (1,017 ft) high together with the spire. It is a bit higher than the London Shard, only the Varso Tower height comes from the spire, making the comparison meaningless :) A fun fact: Following the new high-rise construction, the (Soviet built) Palace of Culture and Science (which is almost as high as the Varso Tower) got obscured and is not visible in the skyline of Warsaw (the west view).

1691396961965.png

George Washington Avenue in Warsaw. The avenue starts at George Washington Roundabout near to the National Stadium.

The "Frigate" restaurant bar is a special place. Saska Kępa is the most beautiful neighbourhood of Warsaw, inhabited by many artists. When you enter the Frigate outdoor space, you will see people occupying separate tables but talking to one another. People come and go. A very special climate.

1691397724269.png
1691397783247.png
1691397822121.png

So I met Blues Renegator (a musician), my friends Howard (with his wife) and Jerzy, as well as a friend of mine Agnieszka who just came in for Pierogi :) As Jerzy commented: 'Sit in the Frigate long enough and you'll meet everybody!'

1691398034952.png

Pierogi, oh yes! :)

1691398158986.png

"Attention! If you are drinking to forget please pay in advance" :D

Jerzy ends his daily rides Wed-Sun at the "I Don't Like Mondays" restaurant bar (the bar is closed on Mon-Tue, hence the name). I was curious of that place, so we rode together up there.

1691398357508.png

Jerzy is a regular there. When he's approaching the place, the owner looks at him, he nods, and a glass of the Palatum craft beer of the week lands on his table. Oh, he's generous with his tips! :)

Thunderstorms were forecast for the afternoon. As we sat together with Jerzy under a big umbrella, there was a cloudburst above us! Just fancy how lucky I was. No single rain droplet fell on me on the day! And no single thunder on my trip!

1691398686559.png

The ride metrics.

1691399050492.png

Ride Map.

Last edited:
Yes, I just don't get the appeal of mountain biking, particularly with our heavy ebikes. The roots and rocks just shake the shite out of one's spine and joints and the bike itself. And on the downhill you're just riding the brakes the whole way and hoping the gravel doesn't make your wheels slip-slide out from under you. Not to mention the likelihood of crashing into a tree or skewering one's liver or jaw on some broken branch. I'm too old for that crap.

Yes, I just don't get the appeal of mountain biking, particularly with our heavy ebikes. The roots and rocks just shake the shite out of one's spine and joints and the bike itself. And on the downhill you're just riding the brakes the whole way and hoping the gravel doesn't make your wheels slip-slide out from under you. Not to mention the likelihood of crashing into a tree or skewering one's liver or jaw on some broken branch. I'm too old for that crap.
Ditto.

We prefer off road cycle tracks.
IMG_1280.jpeg

However, some of these can get a bit hairy or boggy at times.
IMG_2493.jpeg

The picture doesn’t do if justice, but very steep and rutted. Had to walk the bikes down.

But for the most parts, it is most enjoyable and the scenery is very nice.
IMG_1022.jpeg

DG…

Last edited:
Modern mtbs are not the machines that we once rode a decade ago. For this reason, I have been able to get to places that I couldn’t have dreamt of reaching before. They are lighter, have more suspension travel, better geometry, better wheels…With the advent of the emtb, (even at my age) most technical singletracks, can be negotiated with relative ease. I know, for a fact, that my emtb gives me the power that I need to get out of tight spots and has also inspired more confidence in my riding ability. Naturally, one can’t expect to hit the trails without some effort and like any endurance riding there is no gain without a bit of pain. I realize that trail riding may not be for everyone but if you’ve never attempted it before, at least try it before deciding it’s not for you.

This is my reason for doing it.

PXL_20230608_161944039.jpg

PXL_20230629_153733294.jpg

I realize that trail riding may not be for everyone but if you’ve never attempted it before, at least try it before deciding it’s not for you.
I agree the modern full suspension e-MTB is a marvellous machine that enables you to relatively safely bomb rocky mountain trail descents (the wide tyres, long-travel suspension and excellent brakes make it possible). I also respect people who choose that kind of sport: technical singletrack riding. However, the singletrack requires the skill that has to be learnt, and I am not into it. Also, the risk of injury is high, even if the rider wears the full face helmet as well as elbow and knee protectors and maybe the body armour. I have survived too many crashes to get involved in the MTB thing.
This is my reason for doing it.

View attachment 159894

Yes, everything nice comes at a cost and risk. As for me, I got rid of my e-MTB and never ride anything more difficult than could be ridden with my Vado or Vado SL:

1691423380803.png

Crossing the "Green Border" between Poland and Slovakia via an easy hike trail, 2021.

Quite recently, following my bad crash on asphalt (and another on a wide forest fire-road) something clicked inside my brain, and I am scared off riding even easy forest trails... "The highway is my girlfriend when I go by so quick" :) I especially love riding decent roads in high mountains!

I'm glad Art you enjoy MTB riding and read and watch your posts with pleasure (you could say you're riding the trails for me!) :)

Last edited:
Yes, everything nice comes at a cost and risk. As for me, I got rid of my e-MTB and never ride anything more difficult than could be ridden with my Vado or Vado S
I hear ya, Stefan. I cut my teeth on the local trails when there was still snow on the ground. My mentor at the time was a more seasoned buddy of mine who was patient enough to guide me along on my first ride. It wasn’t pretty and even though my pace was slow, I had a blast and became hooked. A Giant Trance E was my first foray into riding emtbs and I’ve never looked back. My advice to anyone even with a remote interest is to ride with someone who is familiar with the trails and more adept with above average riding skills. Joining a local mtb club under professional guidance and riding along with others who have matched abilities is another option. Start slow and easy perhaps on double tracks or until you feel you can progress to something more challenging. Riding any trail for the first time that is far above one’s skill level can only result in disaster and that very day/event will be etched in your mind with nothing more than negative thoughts.

Common sense dictates that you only progress to more difficult terrain when you think that you are well prepared and you have a few rides under your belt already. I never bomb down rock gardens and instead methodically pick my lines as best as I can. Matching your tolerance for speed is key in reducing the risk of a fall and worse injury. For that reason, I wear protective gear over elbow and knees. I prefer XC over DH but realize that when it comes to riding singletrack one must expect to provide some effort in overcoming obstacles whether it’s a steep climb/descent, deadfall or rocks and roots. I allow the bike to do all of the heavy lifting while I try to keep my head up and focused on the trail ahead. As we age, we tend to become more risk adverse in trying new things that might seem too difficult or challenging. It’s natural to feel that way but I’ve overcome more difficulties in my own personal life compared to riding solo on a technical trail.

Ross is a 70+ senior who I rode along with on a blue single two years ago. He loves a challenge but knows his limitations as well. He wears his heart on his sleeve and isn’t afraid to let you know how he feels. This is a guy that I could ride with any day of the week.

Web capture_7-8-2023_13841_vimeo.com.jpeg

Which reminds me @rbush of my own misadventure of a similar kind. It was 2020 vacation soon after I bought my full-suspension e-MTB. I set off for a very easy trail in the Polish Table Mountains. At some large forest clearing, I made a navigation error and rode into a hike trail.

View attachment 159865
I must have lost my mind to venture something like that! :D

View attachment 159866
I had to walk my e-bike often. Here, the "Point Of No Return".
View attachment 159867
After a quite long ride I met a rocky passage that could only be cleared by foot... Some hikers helped me carry the e-bike there.

Eventually, I met a very steep staircase and realized I would not be capable to climb it, even with the Walk Mode. A seasoned hiker told me I could cross the forest via an "escape trail". As it was totally overgrown, I found myself in a place blocked by very big fallen trees. I was scared and desperate. I did a big effort to carry my e-bike over a big tree trunk. Totally exhausted, I simply threw the e-MTB down the valley and walked up to it to continue the walk through the forest...

View attachment 159868
See the person who knows he avoided certain death in the area without mobile coverage. As I determined later, the whole hiking trail was just 1.3 km (1,400 yds) long, and it could cost me my dear life because of my stupidity!

That was one of incidents that made me resign from mountain trail riding!

@Prairie Dog: What is that Cannondale bike/e-bike?
Sorry to laugh, but thats a face of a man who wont do that again.

A more relaxing adventure at Spruce Knob. No signals in thea area so I could not record the route on my app. Approximately 15 miles down and 15 miles up. Unknown elevation (a lot!). Started at the Spruce Knob campground and went down past Gandy Creek dispersed camping. I turned around at the parking area near Whitmer.
IMG_20230807_214009792.jpg

the sun was shining and good weather expected for the duration. One thing I like about road/gravel riding (as I have never done it till just recently.....), is the sweet smells you often run across. This time it was from the milkweed growing along the roadside. Along with a multitude of wildflowers such as Queen Anne's Lace, Black Eye Susan, Daisys, even BeeBalm which I have never seen in the wild. And many, many more I cannot name.
IMG_20230802_100921391_HDR.jpg

The gravel thru the forest was phenomenal IMHO!
IMG_20230802_101630221.jpg

Mama and babies strolled out into my path with no worries. As they nibbled, Papa and more siblings remained under cover. Papa snorted loudly voicing his disapproval. They all darted back up the hollow from which they came, with Papa snorting all the way! It is so amazing to watch nature play out in front of you like that.
IMG_20230802_102141737.jpg

Superb free camping at several sites along Gandy Creek
IMG_20230802_110014062.jpg

IMG_20230802_112314445.jpg

A big carved out area of rocks in a rhododendron forest. If you can get the dispersed camp site near this, I highly recommend it.
IMG_20230802_113739522.jpg

My bike on a big rock!
IMG_20230802_115059951_HDR.jpg

I'm jealous! The best forest gravel roads in Poland very rarely match that quality!
i had stopped at Greenridge State forest in Maryland prior to going to Spruce Knob. The gravel roads there had degraded considerably since last year. I was hard pressed to achieve 10 mph in my truck. Took almost 1 1/2 hrs to exit the forest from campsite campsite 66. It is about 100 yds from the C&O Canal.

Back