2023 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

Red Deer to Lacombe Loop

Web capture_11-5-2023_184032_ridewithgps.com.jpeg

Between knocking off items from my seasonal ‘to do’ list, training rides and trips out to the community garden plots, I’ve barely found time to check in on the latest happenings in the forums.

With an impending trip to the west coast planned later this summer, my better half and I have been focusing virtually all of our rides on brief acoustic outings with hope of maintaining our conditioning but today we decided to up the ante a bit and head further out on the Creos which were fully laden with gear. My two panniers and trunk bag tipped the scales around 15-20 kgs which I estimate will be close to what I hope will be the final weigh in for the trip.

PXL_20230511_182912004.jpg

I started the ride with the Creo’s internal battery level registering 68 % and the RE 90%. By the end of the ride, battery levels respectively for both were 44% and 60%. The last 10km I pushed the pace in turbo in an attempt to beat an impending thunderstorm just west of our location and also had to battle 55kph wind gusts as we closed in on home base.

Web capture_11-5-2023_185129_connect.garmin.com.jpeg

We both were able to log many miles of road without the aid of PAS and the although there was a noticeable weight gain, the bikes were incredibly stable and thankfully power was on tap when needed.

The conditions were ideal as we set out east along Hwy 11. I stopped at the top of this climb to snap a quick pic.

PXL_20230511_170347448.jpg

My wife enjoys this stretch of asphalt called the Freedom Road. With the exception of locals, there are few vehicles on this road and the smooth pavement is nice to roll along. The only caveat concerns a farm property where the owners of the home allow their large dog to roam freely about and without hesitation it takes liberty at chasing down anyone who dares to walk/ride by. We were caught off guard the first time as the pitbull/rottie mix almost caught up to us. There was no fooling about this time around as we spotted Fido running out of the yard towards us. We gunned it and left the pooch in our dust. The short spike on the assist level graph at the 25km mark is where we made our mad dash. Dark ominous clouds can be seen in the distance and once we arrived in Lacombe, the skies opened up. We took shelter at local ice cream shop a la @Stefan Mikes and waited until the storm passed by. 👍

GH011892 - frame at 1m1s.jpg

We came across this solar project well on its way to becoming a permanent sight on the surrounding landscape. It occupies the parcel of land right next door to one of the largest petrochemical/polyethylene plants in the world.

PXL_20230511_172131289.jpg

PXL_20230511_172133794.jpg

This is one of the trains with its load that leaves the rail yards daily at the Joffre Nova poly complex which sees about 20,000 tank cars a year.

PXL_20230511_180820646.jpg

PXL_20230511_180826032.jpg

On the return leg, we made a brief pitstop at this farm which sported a bright red barn and ornamental JD implement at the front of the property.

PXL_20230511_204155293.jpg

PXL_20230511_204049494.jpg

Back at it again tomorrow weather permitting. 🤞

A friend and I rode my two Huffy Oslo's over to central Whidbey Island (actually, we took a ferry).

PXL_20230511_181146070.jpg

We rode to Ebey's Landing,

PXL_20230511_191408149.jpg

PXL_20230511_191535904.jpg
PXL_20230511_191639247.jpg

Then across the island for lunch in Coupeville.

PXL_20230511_193746971.jpg

Then back across the island to the ferry,

PXL_20230511_225932220.jpg

for our return to Port Townsend.

PXL_20230511_233116262.jpg

It was a most beautiful day! We put about 15 miles on the Oslo's, with a fair bit of up and down with some steep hills. Made it back to my place with one light left on the battery meters. As far as I know this might be the record for daytripping on an Oslo.:)

A friend and I rode my two Huffy Oslo's over to central Whidbey Island (actually, we took a ferry).

View attachment 153454

We rode to Ebey's Landing,

View attachment 153455

View attachment 153464View attachment 153457

Then across the island for lunch in Coupeville.

View attachment 153458

Then back across the island to the ferry,

View attachment 153459

for our return to Port Townsend.

View attachment 153460

It was a most beautiful day! We put about 15 miles on the Oslo's, with a fair bit of up and down with some steep hills. Made it back to my place with one light left on the battery meters. As far as I know this might be the record for daytripping on an Oslo.:)
Jealous! Wish we'd had bikes when we stayed on Whidby Island several years ago. It'd be a beautiful place to ride with great scenery just about everywhere. Coupeville's a fun town, and I have yet to find a ferry I didn't like.

Jealous! Wish we'd had bikes when we stayed on Whidby Island several years ago. It'd be a beautiful place to ride with great scenery just about everywhere. Coupeville's a fun town, and I have yet to find a ferry I didn't like.
You'll have to rent some ebikes, Jeremy, if you return to Whidbey. Yesterday was an absolutely beautiful day, and no jets were flying. We even split a big bowl of mussels at Toby's Tavern in Coupeville.😋

Did my first Double Metric Century! Will report on Sunday. Now, even don't ask me how my butt feels 🤣 Staying near to Toruń (a city on the Vistula originally established by the Teutonic Knights; the hometown of Copernicus) by Sunday and then returning to Warsaw by train.

I was riding over West Mazovia and the Kuyavia-Pomerania along the Vistula to get to Toruń (Thorn).

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230512_220305_Strava.jpg
    Screenshot_20230512_220305_Strava.jpg
    315.3 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Home to the Isle of Destiny

Today’s out-and-back ride took us to the rural community of Innisfail which received its name from an Irish epithet for Ireland, Inis Fail or ‘Isle of Destiny’. Originally known as Poplar Grove, it became a hub for settlers in the area during the 1800s. Many locals at the time traversed the road between Calgary-Edmonton and today it’s still known as the C & E Trail. To me, the town has always been home to the Daines Pro Rodeo, the Discovery Wildlife Park and the nearby RCMP dog training facility.

Web capture_12-5-2023_165837_connect.garmin.com.jpeg

Web capture_12-5-2023_18520_connect.garmin.com.jpeg

It was a pretty casual as rides go and neither my better half or I required much PAS for this trip as elev. gain was a virtual non issue.

Web capture_12-5-2023_17147_connect.garmin.com.jpeg

Nothing but blue skies, a few cotton candy clouds and open road in front of us.

GH011895 - frame at 0m25s.jpg

We stood here patiently for what seemed like ages waiting for a gust of wind to unfurl these flags for a photo opp at the gated entrance to this property. No such luck on this occasion and neither on the return leg home.

PXL_20230512_175906145.jpg

This lovely property along the trail stood out with its dormered brilliant red out-building/garage. The house pales in comparison but the view of the woods and pond out back certainly got our attention. A nice place to hang your hat if you are fond of rural settings and the serenity that comes with it.

PXL_20230512_181858613.jpg

Speaking of abodes, the sparrows along this mile long stretch of fence posts sure have it made. The owner must certainly be a bird lover to go to such great lengths to make these feathered creatures a comfy nest egg.

PXL_20230512_182044182.jpg

An iconic image of what typically can be seen along any prairie road in rural Alberta. Agriculture still remains a dominant industry in our neck of the woods but farmers are facing increasing pressure due to a shortage of workers and many who want to retire simply don’t have a succession plan in place.

PXL_20230512_182625629.jpg

A brief stopover at our destination as we hit a local park for a quick snack. It turned out to be a gorgeous day with no sign of rain clouds that were present on our ride yesterday. The Creos continue to perform to no amazement. The new motors are certainly a welcome addition to what is already considered an incredible ride.

PXL_20230512_190038096.MP.jpg

Not very often do you come across a vintage fighter jet in the middle of a parking lot. This Starfighter 104 is only one of two in existence and to this day it apparently is still the fastest RCAF aircraft of all time. I would love to have this as an ornament on my front lawn just to piss the neighbors off. ;)

PXL_20230512_190604120.jpg

PXL_20230512_190624304.jpg

I can only presume this was a major dairy operation judging by the size of the barns. I have a friend who retired from dairy farming over 10 years ago but his son and wife moved to Scotland so like many he ended up selling his 100 head operation and moved to the city. It’s a tireless job but many do it for the personal satisfaction and benefit of the industry’s stable system of supply management.

PXL_20230512_203529641.jpg

Just before arriving home, we made a final stop at Fort Normandeau as neither of us had ever visited the interpretive center before which is located on the banks of the local tributary. It was the original site of the Red Deer River Crossing considered to be the best place to ford the river before the railroad came to town. Three founding cultures along with European settlers met here including Cree, Blackfoot and Metis nations.

PXL_20230512_210145463.jpg

PXL_20230512_210505077.jpg

'Ghosts of the Prairies'

An abstract metal sculpture of a bison stands guard outside of the center and is meant to interpret how it was entwined with its natural habitat and that its role in the parkland has all but vanished.

PXL_20230512_210228198.jpg

PXL_20230512_210245739.jpg

I’ll likely take a day off tomorrow from riding tarmac and as a change up will hit the trails. 👍

Last edited:
Beautiful sunny day in Brecon, this pic is taken from a boring walkway to the local shops, just the usual castle and distant peaks.
IMG_20230513_142912850_HDR.jpg

Climbed the bridle path alongside the Talybont reservoir, it was a long climb, but just the right incline to make it pleasant and easy on the battery.
Screenshot_20230513-190623.png

Well worn mtb tracks and I saw about 20 other riders, turned into thick clay mud in some parts, the kind of stuff you could just throw on a potters wheel and knock out a nice vase for the missus.

Screenshot_20230513-190836.png

About 50/50 ratio for ebike against acoustic and a direct correlation to age...and er, being careful here..gender.

Screenshot_20230513-190703~2.png

Only got drone shots, cant transfer gopro at the moment, heres a rather odd sight in the town centre.
Someone been on a greek holiday I suppose.
IMG_20230512_194743371_HDR.jpg

Greetings from Toruń!

Had last Saturday full of adventures, starting with visiting the Hauländer Ethnographic Museum in Mała Nieszawka, checking the details of the Toruń Railway Station, pedalling to the Teutonic Castle of Bierzgłowo/Birgelau, meeting Bogusław with his road bike and a drone there, having a fast descent from a hill, having a lunch in Toruń Old Town and eventually meeting friends for a good ale there!

20230513_144840-01.jpeg

The most famous spot in the Gothic city of Toruń/Thorn. Established by Teutonic Knights in 1233, the city was won by Thorn burghers in 1454 and incorporated into the Crown of Poland until 1793. Copernicus (of German descent but a Polish citizen) was born nearby in 1473. (The Latin text reads "He moved the Earth and stopped the Sun").

The city's motto in recent years had been "Toruń: Gothic At Your Touch" but it has been recently changed to the meaningless "Toruń Moves". It is decidedly one of the most of beautiful cities of Poland and if anyone of you happens to visit Poland, I greatly recommend seeing Toruń! It has great cycling infrastructure, too, inside and around!

Returning by trains to Warsaw and then pedalling home today. I could not cycle back to my place upwind for another 200 km!

Last edited:
Had a look, pretty awesome gothic. buildings.
Why do so many Polish people over here say that Poland is a dump.
I guess your immediate surroundings, but Poland has turned itself around massively.

Would you agree with this article Stefan?

Had a look, pretty awesome gothic. buildings.
Why do so many Polish people over here say that Poland is a dump.

Because they need to justify their past decision to emmigrate to the UK. Besides, living in Poland is expensive compared to the income. Let me leave the politics and religion aside.
I guess your immediate surroundings, but Poland has turned itself around massively.

Would you agree with this article Stefan?
Unfortunately, i would need a subscription to read the article.

I was cheating re returning by trains 😊Am on a Metric Century ride from Kutno to my place. Against massive headwind! 37 km left... I seem to be liking challenges!

20230514_162041-01.jpeg

In Sochaczew, a city on the Bzura, Mazovia.

Last edited:
It was enough for me Rab to pedal for 105 km against the "mug-a-wind" today. 5 hours net, and for certain reasons my initial battery pool was only 182% (instead of 300%). I pedalled for the last 900 m unpowered! :D (The wind blows were slowing down my Vado to 18 km/h sometimes!)

Last edited:
I took a ride into town today to visit a friend and check out his new car. As is often the case I forgot to take any pictures. I did find a stock photo of it and the same color, Toyota Avalon.
View attachment 153537View attachment 153539
Toyota discontinued the Avalon (in the US anyway) with the 2022 model and replaced it with the 2023 Toyota Crown sedan. The Crown is only sold with a hybrid drivetrain. I just bought one (my first Toyota) like the one in the photo below
ToyotaCrown.jpg
. I've only had it a couple of weeks and like it so far, but time will tell ...

I won't be using the Crown to transport my e-trike and e-bikes, I have an older Ford Ranger I use for that purpose.

A Double Metric Century Along The Vistula
Friday, May 12th, 2023

It has been my dream to ride for 200 km on an e-bike for a long time. I only needed the proper riding conditions, and the destination. Suffice to say, the only location that was 200 km away, was exciting, and I had friends there was the Gothic city of Toruń on the Vistula. Given a warm May day and a massive tailwind available, I had to set off for that demanding ride on last Friday in the early morning.

1684131655460.png

7:25 am with my Vado ready for the ride. Two spare batteries in panniers, an e-bike charger, a power-bank, a phone charger, tools including a spare inner tube, spare clothes, toiletries, food, beverages... Just name it! I was so glad my Vado had got the new strong rear wheel just recently! I was riding in the 35/35% standard ECO assistance for very long range.

1684131909077.png

Top: An ancient fortified church in Brochów (Mazovia). One Frederic Chopin was baptised there.
Bottom: A trestle bridge over the Bzura.

1684132222552.png

Once I got up north, I was continuing my ride along the Vistula all the way to Toruń. It is -- as I call it -- "the Hauländer land". As I am fascinated with the old (and long gone) Hauländer culture and phenomenon, I will tell you more about Hauländers in my Saturday ride report! Here, the line of the trees in the background marks the Vistula embankment and the gravel Vistula Trail (this time, I was riding asphalt only!)

1684132736232.png

It is the rape flowering season in Poland now. The views are magnificent, and the flower scent makes you feel like you were riding in the Paradise!

1684132864711.png

A wooden church of 1775 in Dobrzyków.

I have to admit I had to bypass an important and beautiful city of Płock -- once the capital city of Mazovia -- because of lack of time.

1684133070551.png

I had to ride with traffic on the major highway #62 very close to the Vistula. Here, the place where icebreakers were refuelling during the heavy winter days of 2021 when the Vistula was totally frozen and the flood jeopardized the city of Płock

1684133527249.png

The Vistula northwards of the Włocławek Dam. The river is unregulated from that point on all way up the Baltic Sea.

1684133607622.png

Włocławek is another major city on the Vistula, located in the Kuyavian-Pomeranian voivodeship. Kuyavia itself is a major farming area with fertile "black soil", and Włocławek is the capital city of that historical land. (I will tell you more on Pomerania in my Saturday ride report).

1684133799963.png

Flowering rape was everywhere! (See the windmills, too). At that place, I had just made the Imperial Century.

1684133925174.png

My close friend Bogusław intercepted me in a beautiful place called Raciążek. He is a University Professor at the Copernicus University of Toruń, an expert on hydrogeology and flood control. (The University Professor is the second highest academic rank in Poland). He is, among others, an avid road cyclist! Now, he helped me to get to my place even without the GPS! :) (Besides, I was tired and needed someone to ride with me).

1684134252056.png

One of the three brine graduation towers in the famous spa of Ciechocinek. See Bogusław taking pictures. He is a brilliant photographer, videographer, a mountaineer, a musician... What a man!

1684134385030.png

As Bogusław and I were zooming bike paths south of Toruń, I could hear a driver yelling at me: "STEFAN! STEFAN! STOP!" My name is really rare in Poland nowadays, so I stopped immediately. "Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition!" :D Fancy that... Roman (centre) is my gravel cycling buddy from Warsaw. How come he was waiting for me on my course in Toruń? Here is the story:

Roman and his son are competing roller-skaters, and they came in Toruń to participate in a race. Roman was tracking my current position on the Strava Beacon link I had shared and simply intercepted me on my course! What a meeting! :D

1684134826255.png

Cosy, elegant, quiet, bike-friendly, and inexpensive "Dwa Księżyce" (Two Moons) hotel 7 km away from Toruń. The receptionist let me store my Vado inside the hotel and gave me a ground floor room on my request. A fantastic place! (Having a bike as the means of transportation, I must be crazy to live in the big city of Toruń!)

1684135066060.png

My longest e-bike ride ever! I was lucky to be propelled by the tailwind! Don't ask me how my butt felt, though! :D

1684135202672.png

"You're going to need a bigger map" /Specialized/ :)

Last edited:
1684174400741.png

It was time for another epic, I have been really busy sorting the house after getting a new heating system installed so it was time to get the bike out again! I did get a 50 miler in 6 days ago but didn't take any photos and I was too busy to post about it... I set off just after 7am with a real chill in the air but the NW wind was light at that time so it didn't feel cold, I decided to head SE to Peebles and it was such a great ride with sun quite a bit of the way which is always a bonus!

I started off on the back roads and cycle paths on my way to Carnwath, this is just after passing through Carnwath with the fields looking very lush!

1684175085212.png

1684175147459.png

I passed through Elsrickle with nice quiet roads to enjoy and the sun still shining, this road is like a real rollercoaster and so much fun to ride!

1684175502586.png

1684175589709.png

I was now climbing up to join the A701 which was also quiet, this road can be busy at times but it was my lucky day! There are some lovely views along this road and not many climbs!

1684176331976.png

1684176381989.png

1684176432122.png

Just past Lamancha it was time to change my first battery at 46.5 miles and 3500ft of climbing! I now had a nice descent to look forward to on the A703 to Peebles, although I was now into a strenghtening headwind but it was still fun! I reached Peebles with 60 miles covered and my intention was to head for Biggar and then Lanark but I had to change my plan when I reached Biggar!

The River Tweed at Peebles!

1684177347877.png

1684177415409.png

I left Peebles on the busy A72 but left it as soon as I could and joined the very quiet and very scenic B712 to Stobo!

1684177687032.png

1684177753559.png

This road was just sublime, eventually I reached the end of the B712 and joined the A701 to Broughton! This is just before reaching Broughton!

1684178205812.png

I then noticed a quiet back road which would lead me to Biggar and what a road it was but quite a bit of climbing and I was still into the headwind which was now around 20mph! I arrived in Biggar with the intention to continue to Lanark but the sky looked pretty ominous so I decided to head north back to Carnwath! I started the climb out of Biggar and was keeping an eye on the clouds over Lanark way, the sun was still shining on the Tinto Hills at this point!
1684178644651.png

I was getting close to Libberton and the dark clouds were looming and I could see a squall passing over the fields to my left, the next thing I was getting pelted by hail and it really hurt! Thankfully I just caught the edge of the squall and arrived in Carnwath with the sun shining! I continued north and stopped soon to change my second battery at just over 87 miles, the headwind really depleted it! So I was now on my final battery but I only had around 25 miles to go so I could raise the assist level without fear of running out of juice, this was a real blessing as my legs were starting to feel it due to the headwind and all the climbing!

From here I had a trouble free ride home with just a little shower close to home, what a brilliant day that was and by the time I got home it was now 17C, a lot warmer than 7am when it was only 5C! Almost 7000ft of climbing and my legs were feeling it, I was actually considering taking just 2 batteries but I knew there would be a lot of climbing so I made the right decision taking all 3!

@Stefan Mikes Congratulations on your first 200k, awesome job! 👍

Attachments

• elevation_profile162.jpg
    elevation_profile162.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 64
  • trip-121162996-map-full162.png
    trip-121162996-map-full162.png
    367.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230515_091624.jpg
    20230515_091624.jpg
    552.2 KB · Views: 62
  • 20230515_094816.jpg
    20230515_094816.jpg
    537.1 KB · Views: 69
  • 20230515_100026.jpg
    20230515_100026.jpg
    416 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230515_115225.jpg
    20230515_115225.jpg
    688.9 KB · Views: 67
  • 20230515_120841.jpg
    20230515_120841.jpg
    418.1 KB · Views: 62
  • 20230515_131843.jpg
    20230515_131843.jpg
    481.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 20230515_131845.jpg
    20230515_131845.jpg
    439.3 KB · Views: 64
View attachment 153705

It was time for another epic, I have been really busy sorting the house after getting a new heating system installed so it was time to get the bike out again! I did get a 50 miler in 6 days ago but didn't take any photos and I was too busy to post about it... I set off just after 7am with a real chill in the air but the NW wind was light at that time so it didn't feel cold, I decided to head SE to Peebles and it was such a great ride with sun quite a bit of the way which is always a bonus!

I started off on the back roads and cycle paths on my way to Carnwath, this is just after passing through Carnwath with the fields looking very lush!

View attachment 153706
View attachment 153707
I passed through Elsrickle with nice quiet roads to enjoy and the sun still shining, this road is like a real rollercoaster and so much fun to ride!

View attachment 153708
View attachment 153710
I was now climbing up to join the A701 which was also quiet, this road can be busy at times but it was my lucky day! There are some lovely views along this road and not many climbs!

View attachment 153713
View attachment 153714
View attachment 153715
Just past Lamancha it was time to change my first battery at 46.5 miles and 3500ft of climbing! I now had a nice descent to look forward to on the A703 to Peebles, although I was now into a strenghtening headwind but it was still fun! I reached Peebles with 60 miles covered and my intention was to head for Biggar and then Lanark but I had to change my plan when I reached Biggar!

The River Tweed at Peebles!

View attachment 153717
View attachment 153718
I left Peebles on the busy A72 but left it as soon as I could and joined the very quiet and very scenic B712 to Stobo!

View attachment 153719
View attachment 153720
This road was just sublime, eventually I reached the end of the B712 and joined the A701 to Broughton! This is just before reaching Broughton!

View attachment 153721
I then noticed a quiet back road which would lead me to Biggar and what a road it was but quite a bit of climbing and I was still into the headwind which was now around 20mph! I arrived in Biggar with the intention to continue to Lanark but the sky looked pretty ominous so I decided to head north back to Carnwath! I started the climb out of Biggar and was keeping an eye on the clouds over Lanark way, the sun was still shining on the Tinto Hills at this point!
View attachment 153722
I was getting close to Libberton and the dark clouds were looming and I could see a squall passing over the fields to my left, the next thing I was getting pelted by hail and it really hurt! Thankfully I just caught the edge of the squall and arrived in Carnwath with the sun shining! I continued north and stopped soon to change my second battery at just over 87 miles, the headwind really depleted it! So I was now on my final battery but I only had around 25 miles to go so I could raise the assist level without fear of running out of juice, this was a real blessing as my legs were starting to feel it due to the headwind and all the climbing!

From here I had a trouble free ride home with just a little shower close to home, what a brilliant day that was and by the time I got home it was now 17C, a lot warmer than 7am when it was only 5C! Almost 7000ft of climbing and my legs were feeling it, I was actually considering taking just 2 batteries but I knew there would be a lot of climbing so I made the right decision taking all 3!

@Stefan Mikes Congratulations on your first 200k, awesome job! 👍
Scotland?

Back