2023 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

Unless... I had on cycling crampons!
Well, I was actually wearing such a traction device during my first e-biking February! I lost one of the crampons soon then decided it was little sense to wear them in the first place :)

Studded tyres hold on to ice. It is only good to reduce the assistance to diminish the torque at the rear wheel. However, my real issue is riding in the snow; it is something I cannot and will not do!

My new next door neighbor invited me to join him on a road ride north to Oceanside harbor, so charged the battery for an hour, and off we went on this glorious 63°F winter day.
From there, it was just 7 minutes up Poinsettia Lane to our neighborhood. Still getting a feel for battery range. Nice to see that I used only 25% of my 20Ah on this mostly flat 22-mile ride at PAS 1/9.
Would love riding with you guys if you're ever in the mood for more company. I live in Encinitas.

4FE1CDE1-8F0F-48EA-A27D-3C2E68B26917.jpeg

San Pasqual Valley in Escondido, California, USA

Feeling Enlightened

It feels a bit strange posting this report as most of you, (with the exception of @Stefan Mikes, @Twin Valley, @RandallS among others) are already celebrating the pre-arrival of spring or for those of you in warmer climes I imagine you flipping burgers out on the deck in your flip flops.

There was no urgent need to convince myself to head out for a night ride yesterday given the unseasonably warm days that we’ve recently been treated to. But that goes without saying that this winter has been anything BUT seasonal. December was a month that most Albertans would like to put behind them and, as each day passes, we await the spring Equinox with great anticipation.

I started off, as usual, from home through Kin Kanyon eventually making my way down to the city center hoping to get one last glimpse of the annual festival of lights which adorn the trees at City Hall Park and I wasn’t disappointed. There wasn’t a soul around to take in the light show this evening so I was able to take to the air without drawing any attention to myself. I suspect the crews will pull the plug on the display within the week but I personally would like to see them left up all year round. What a cheery spectacle that would be.

DJI_0101 - frame at 0m11s.jpg

DJI_0101 - frame at 1m32s.jpg

DJI_0101 - frame at 2m24s.jpgDJI_0103 - frame at 0m4s.jpg
Then it was off to Heritage Ranch to ride the single tracks but as I was passing by Bower Ponds, I couldn't resist taking a lap around before pushing off to the popular trail. Sunday evening and only two (including myself) were out enjoying a spin out on the ice.

GH010579 - frame at 1m39s.jpg

GH010579 - frame at 0m43s.jpg

The trails at Heritage were in spectacular condition despite the recent warm conditions. I was afraid the hard pack would have turned to mush after several days of above average temperature but fortunately the evenings are still on the chilly side. I can't say enough about how important it is to have a good set of lights with you on the trail. Two thumbs up for Outbound Lighting's Trail EVO/Hangover tandem system. 👍👍 They really are remarkable lights.

GH010581 - frame at 0m11s.jpg

GH010580 - frame at 3m49s.jpg

GH010580 - frame at 3m30s.jpg

GH010587 - frame at 2m23s.jpgGPAA0584.JPG

Almost home as I make my way across Piper Creek.

GX011835 - frame at 0m27s.jpg

as I was passing by Bower Ponds, I couldn't resist taking a lap around before pushing off to the popular trail. Sunday evening and only two (including myself) were out enjoying a spin out on the ice.
As you know Art, I enjoyed your December 2021 Bower Ponds ice ride video very much. I posted it to my restricted circle on Facebook today. A friend bitterly exclaimed: "The ice is smooth, and there are no speed bumps there!" Necessarily to mention he's turning into a couch potato this Winter :)

Now, I have watched your current video. Oh my! There are rare situations I regret I got rid of my Trance+! :)

P.S. The lights. While the Lezyne on my Vado SL is good enough for urban and suburban rides... (A neighbour commented: "What a strong light! Like of a car!) ...then the 1600 lm Supernova M99 Pro of my Vado 6.0 was more than adequate for my night road ride but I would certainly need a Volt 1700 extra if I dared riding in the forest at night...

Those lights are gorgeous! I'd want them year-round, too. Light festivals, light shows, xmas lights, fireworks, blacklight dancers and decorations -- we all seem to be suckers for colored lights in the dark, especially if they're moving. And no one more than me.

What happens when you need to touch down on ice?

View attachment 146460
San Pasqual Valley in Escondido, California, USA
Gorgeous country! Before moving into our current house in Carlsbad, we rented for 3 months in Rancho Bernardo, just south of Escondido and at similar elevation.

Having no bike then was a real bummer -- so many beautiful trails and streets to ride! Especially wanted to explore in and around the San Dieguito Gorge.

We're just north of the Encinitas line. Will PM you.

As you know Art, I enjoyed your December 2021 Bower Ponds ice ride video very much. I posted it to my restricted circle on Facebook today. A friend bitterly exclaimed: "The ice is smooth, and there are no speed bumps there!" Necessarily to mention he's turning into a couch potato this Winter :)

Now, I have watched your current video. Oh my! There are rare situations I regret I got rid of my Trance+! :)

P.S. The lights. While the Lezyne on my Vado SL is good enough for urban and suburban rides... (A neighbour commented: "What a strong light! Like of a car!) ...then the 1600 lm Supernova M99 Pro of my Vado 6.0 was more than adequate for my night road ride but I would certainly need a Volt 1700 extra if I dared riding in the forest at night...
The ice wasn’t as smooth last night but that’s probably due to the ponds being heavily used over the weekend. I’m sure the city crews will be flooding it this week to bring back its sheen. I spend too much time already in front of this screen so I’ve adapted myself to riding 100km/week either on the roller trainer or out on the trails when it’s warm enough.

I feel sad that you gave up your Trance to Jacek but now you have discovered a new discipline riding with your gravel buddies. Just enjoy the experience and live in the moment.

I’ve owned a few lights over the years (Cygolite and a more powerful Niterider system) but Outbound’s experience comes from a background in automotive lighting which sets it apart from its competitors.

They’re not cheap but when it comes to riding the trails at night particularly during the winter season, I really don’t want to compromise. I believe @6zfshdb also owns a set.

IMG_20221204_1553416 - Copy.jpg

https://www.outboundlighting.com/co...products/evo-downhill-package-best-bike-light

Those lights are gorgeous! I'd want them year-round, too. Light festivals, light shows, xmas lights, fireworks, blacklight dancers and decorations -- we all seem to be suckers for colored lights in the dark, especially if they're moving. And no one more than me.

What happens when you need to touch down on ice?
I thought that you might enjoy the colorful lights, Jeremy. They go up just before the festive season begins and come down in January. It really would be wonderful viewing them all year round. As for touching down on ice, sometimes I’ll strap spiked cleats onto my boots if I know there is a narrow trail is riddled with soft, weak or rutted uneven ice but I rarely need to when the surface is hard and flat. The tungsten carbide studded ISPs do a magnificent job regardless if its flat snowy hardpack or smooth icy singletrack. 👍

Last edited:
I feel sad that you gave up your Trance to Jacek but now you have discovered a new discipline riding with your gravel buddies. Just enjoy the experience and live in the moment.
Thank you for your kind words! Funnily enough, Jacek is now considering a purchase of a traditional gravel bike to be on par with our riding mates! :)

I’ve owned a few lights over the years (Cygolite and a more powerful Niterider system) but Outbound’s experience comes from a background in automotive lighting which sets it apart from its competitors.
As you know I rather do not ride off road at night but the Supernova M99 Pro is indeed a Type Approved automotive headlight! :) It, however, requires a special arrangement of the motor to power the lamp. Specialized 1.2s and Bosch Speed Line motors are a few that can support the Supernova.

@Jeremy McCreary: I was thinking of your Czech roots. Indeed, the Czech kyselo is very similar to Polish żur (Zhur). Good you know the taste!

Just showing a picture in my improved Armalite+ winter armour :) I have just reused my Softshell cycling trousers (despite of washing, these pants won't be ever clean again!) :D
The clothing set holds at least down to -6 C, at least for shorter rides.

1675768438210.png

Glory to Ukraine!

Feeling Enlightened

It feels a bit strange posting this report as most of you, (with the exception of @Stefan Mikes, @Twin Valley, @RandallS among others) are already celebrating the pre-arrival of spring or for those of you in warmer climes I imagine you flipping burgers out on the deck in your flip flops.

There was no urgent need to convince myself to head out for a night ride yesterday given the unseasonably warm days that we’ve recently been treated to. But that goes without saying that this winter has been anything BUT seasonal. December was a month that most Albertans would like to put behind them and, as each day passes, we await the spring Equinox with great anticipation.

I started off, as usual, from home through Kin Kanyon eventually making my way down to the city center hoping to get one last glimpse of the annual festival of lights which adorn the trees at City Hall Park and I wasn’t disappointed. There wasn’t a soul around to take in the light show this evening so I was able to take to the air without drawing any attention to myself. I suspect the crews will pull the plug on the display within the week but I personally would like to see them left up all year round. What a cheery spectacle that would be.

View attachment 146473
View attachment 146474
View attachment 146475View attachment 146478
Then it was off to Heritage Ranch to ride the single tracks but as I was passing by Bower Ponds, I couldn't resist taking a lap around before pushing off to the popular trail. Sunday evening and only two (including myself) were out enjoying a spin out on the ice.

View attachment 146477
View attachment 146476

The trails at Heritage were in spectacular condition despite the recent warm conditions. I was afraid the hard pack would have turned to mush after several days of above average temperature but fortunately the evenings are still on the chilly side. I can't say enough about how important it is to have a good set of lights with you on the trail. Two thumbs up for Outbound Lighting's Trail EVO/Hangover tandem system. 👍👍 They really are remarkable lights.

View attachment 146481
View attachment 146480
View attachment 146479
View attachment 146482View attachment 146483

Almost home as I make my way across Piper Creek.

View attachment 146484

So jell.
Lovely trails and gorgeous lights.
Always next year I suppose.

1675864282444.png

A mild but wild day but at least it was safe to return to the quiet back roads again, the winds will be strengthening as the day goes on and peaking around 45-50mph at 6pm! I decided to get out early while they were around 35mph, it was a very wise decision as I was getting blown about as I returned home! I flattened 2 batteries in 50 miles so you can imagine how gusty it was! I passed the Black Loch and was happy to see it back to normal levels again, shame the water was so choppy!
1675864587993.png

1675864679744.png

The wind was from the SW so I headed NE towards Shieldhill, after passing the Black Loch I was intending to take the back road to Shieldhill only to be thwarted by a road closure! So I turned around and headed for Avonbridge where I would tackle the big climb up to California (very different from the US version 😂) blink and you will miss it! ;)
The view of the Firth Of Forth from California looking down at the Ineos Oil Refinery in Grangemouth!
1675865285453.png

1675865341715.png

Onwards to Sheildhill where the big descent down into Glenn Village always gets the pulse racing, 41.8mph today! I just love this descent, there's a slight left turn as you are building your speed and then a very long straight downhill which is just awesome!:D I was now on main roads for a bit but they were quiet today, passing through many villages before reaching Linlithgow where it was time for another big climb up Preston Road towards Torphicen! Somebody has called this Ridewithgps segment 'Preston Road Lung Buster' and its very appropriate!🤣 I'm actually second with a time of 7mins 28secs(over 14 mins today), the leader has done it in 6mins 24secs! :eek: Another e bike possibly or just a very fit cyclist...

This poor guy was struggling up it today, right into the 35mph headwind! I passed him further up the climb after stopping for a few minutes for a snack and these photos, he was actually doing really well considering the strength of the wind! This is already half way up the climb, the lower part is very steep and flattens for a short bit before rising up just past the national speed limit signs!
1675866411358.png

1675866451228.png

I crested the climb and then had a nice big descent to enjoy down to Torphicen where I stopped for another couple of photos before another big descent, which can be seen in the second photo but doesn't show just how steep it is!
1675866826145.png

1675866882447.png

I was now heading for Westfield where I would take the quiet back roads again, with yet more big climbs and big descents! I normally come down this one around 40mph but today I struggled to reach 30mph as it was straight into the wind!
1675867177801.png

Looking back up the hill now!
1675867284190.png

This road then leads to Armadale where its a straight flattish road all the way home but into that gusty wind, I passed through Blackridge where you get some protection from the wind but once you pass through the village its a long straight road with very little protection and I was getting battered with very strong crosswinds here! I passed a cyclist coming the other way and warned him about the crosswinds as he was riding a light carbon road bike, it sure makes a difference riding a heavy e bike! I had an incident free ride home from here and amazingly arrived home with a clean bike for a change! A great ride despite the winds, it was sure fun with the wind at my back!

Attachments

• elevation_profile141.jpg
    elevation_profile141.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 73
  • trip-112923579-map-full141.png
    trip-112923579-map-full141.png
    406.8 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230208_102846.jpg
    20230208_102846.jpg
    553.4 KB · Views: 84
  • 20230208_103432.jpg
    20230208_103432.jpg
    328.9 KB · Views: 76
  • 20230208_110528.jpg
    20230208_110528.jpg
    503.1 KB · Views: 71
View attachment 146632

A mild but wild day but at least it was safe to return to the quiet back roads again, the winds will be strengthening as the day goes on and peaking around 45-50mph at 6pm! I decided to get out early while they were around 35mph, it was a very wise decision as I was getting blown about as I returned home! I flattened 2 batteries in 50 miles so you can imagine how gusty it was!
Must be some interesting history behind a California in rural Scotland.

Motor power and gearing on that not-so-light mid-drive ebike? Must have a pretty wide gear-inch range for the uphill grades and downhill speeds reported.

Condolences... Also your maximum speed downhill tells me something about the Scottish wind!

I was on a shopping ride a couple days ago. For unknown reasons, I "burnt" the whole Range Extender (160 Wh) in just 15 km! Riding in the winter sucks...
Roll on Spring!
Must be some interesting history behind a California in rural Scotland.

Motor power and gearing on that not-so-light mid-drive ebike? Must have a pretty wide gear-inch range for the uphill grades and downhill speeds reported.
Not really that interesting actually, its just a small village... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/California,_Falkirk

Its just like a standard road bike, 22spd compact double (50-34) (11-32)

Its actually not that heavy for an e bike, around 44lbs and 250W and the assist cuts off at 15.5mph! Its just the perfect bike for my needs, it has brought me almost 5 years of biking heaven! 👍

I wasn't talking about peak power though, the motor is listed as 250W ;) I use mostly eco and basic!
Not sure about your specific motor but the PW-X2 of my Trance E+ could pump up to 520 W of mechanical power! Yes yes. All of them are 250 W nominal :) Only the difference in torque tells you a different story about the peak power! ;)

No rides, but I did just make a video comparing the climbing ability of a low and high power controller.

Screenshot_20230210-145658.png

I swapped them over in the beach carpark, which was strangely busy, you can imagine the looks I was getting, cutters and tape in hand.

Screenshot_20230210-145730.png

You may be forgiven for thinking this is a factory fitting, no I actually did this myself

Screenshot_20230210-145745.png

Even I was cringing a bit riding this on the beach, I looked like some kind of 'back to the future' wannabe.
Just got to get to 88 Doc!

Anyway, suffice to say it climbed much faster indeed.

Screenshot_20230210-150017.png

In other news my wifes friend and very ex of mine returned from the States that night and we went out for a few drinks.

She disappeared twenty years ago after having a one hit wonder in the UK charts and married some Nashville record producer, so she got up on the Karaoke to belt out a bit of Debbie Harry.
Of course everyone in the room was too young to recognise her from 80s temporary stardom.

Back