2023 - Our Rides in Words, Photos, Maps and Videos

IMG_1232.JPG

The severity of the winter thus far in Central Virginia...and on my front porch stacks of firewood I'd rather burn than move.

Yes…to some extent though the growing season has been steadily growing. ^0-70 last few days. Sleet Sunday.
I will post a few more pictures as the season progresses. There is a long double row on this part of the road

@Mulezen My daffodils started poking their stems up from the ground a few weeks ago here in Northern Virginia. Wasn't aware of it until my next door neighbor said hers were popping already. And the days have been getting steadily warmer.

Three days ago our absentee neighbor decided he wanted his brush pile burned. He has a hired guy for cutting his fields and such, and decided the idiot man should burn the pile. We walked out of our house that afternoon to a dense haze of smoke drifting across our fields. Seems the idiot, after dumping gasoline on the brush pile, lit it ablaze....and walked off. A light breeze which normally would have been a non-issue, decided to assist in taking the fire for a stroll across 2 acres of the absentee landowner's field.
20230209_092228_copy_1000x750.jpg

The pic doesn't even show the full extent of the scorch marks. According to neighbor next to this property, when he saw the huge volume of smoke he came outside to see the idiot hired hand and his hired help (once they returned from who knows where and found the fire out of control) frantically trying to beat the fire out with their shirts. My neighbor was on the verge of calling the fire department, but the hired pair managed to get ahead of the flames and eventually won the battle.

Amazingly enough, the gas can they left next to the burning brush pile, and slightly upwind, didn't ignite. Luck was with everyone downwind of these idiots because the only property scorched was that of the absentee owner.

Bike rides outside have been sporatic and highly dependant upon the whims of Virginia's winter weather. I managed to get in 37 miles this past week.
Screenshot_20230211_043928.jpg

But most of my off-weather (cold, windy, or both) days spent cycling were indoor enjoying online tours around the very pretty summertime lakes in Switzerland. The views looked like this:

20230203_135220_copy_750x1000.jpg

Can't complain. The scenery is spectacular, the going flat and fast, and I don't have to ensure a 12 hour flight to get there.

Much colder today...seasonal with a cruel wind in gentle Virginia terms, 'light May air' in Rab's Scotland. Yet brisk enough for these vultures to enjoy a coffee break sunning themselves. These intelligent birds likely sense the weather changing to miserable sleet overnight.

IMG_1236.JPG

1676225001592.png

It was a nice day for the time of year so I went for another long one, +6C at 8am felt like Spring and the dry roads were a real bonus! There was a 20mph wind from the SW and it felt like I was riding into it all day, maybe it was swirling... I headed south for Lanark and with it being a Sunday the roads were pretty quiet and riding into the wind wasn't putting me off in the least!

Looking down towards the Clyde Valley from Lanark!
1676225297965.png

I passed through Lanark and stopped at Lanark Loch for my first break, strange to see it deserted but it was still early....
1676225406216.png

1676225460512.png

I continued Southeast and was so happy that the main A73 was quiet, its such a fun road to ride on a Sunday but a nightmare during the week with all the trucks! Its my type of road with lots of ups and downs and with the roads being dry it was just awesome and you have amazing views on both sides with the Tinto Hills and the Pentland Hills!
1676225911709.png

1676225985325.png

I was nearing Symington and I spotted an old Transit van in a layby with the hazard lights on, the driver was on the phone so I'm guessing he was calling for assistance! A short time later I heard a strange noise and looked back tosee the van heading my way very slowly! He passed me on a climb and the noises were unreal, it sounded like the propshaft was loose or something! He passed me on this climb and I then passed him going down the hill in Symington, I was amazed it was still going!
1676226391716.png

The horses were all wondering who this strange guy with the bike was, did he maybe have some food?;)
1676226567346.png

The River Clyde with the Tinto Hills in the background!
1676226702448.png

I was now heading for Biggar which would be my turning point today, the roads from Biggar heading north are just fantastic and its always a tough decision which way to go as you can go straight to Carnwath with big climbs and big descents or turn east towards Elsrickle which has less climbing but a lovely big descent which would be almost wind assisted today! I went for Elsrickle which is more scenic also, this is looking back at the big descent!
1676227100210.png

Nice views of the Tinto Hills from Elsrickle!
1676227252817.png

1676227342952.png

I then continued northwest towards Newbigging and was intending to keep heading in that direction towards Carnwath but passing through Newbigging I decided to take the road to the east to Dunsyre thinking there was a road that would turn north a few miles on! 6 miles on and I was starting to doubt myself when I saw a sign for Biggar, I stopped to check on my phone and there was no signal so I made the decision to head back to Newbigging! I will check this road out again soon as it was really good, I just didn't want to head back to Biggar and tackle the climbs again😂 I did grab some photos on this road, it was a pretty nice view!
1676227907167.png

1676227973914.png

Looking at my map when I got home I definitely made the right decision turning around, it would have taken me many miles off course! From Newbigging I headed up the big climb to Carnwath and took to the back roads most of the way home and even arrived home with a spotless bike, most unusual and most welcome as I was knackered now!;) What a brilliant day of riding, it doesn't get much better at this time of year!:D

@Chargeride Nice Mini van, I used to work on them back in my mechanic days, they were a pain to work on ;)

Attachments

• elevation_profile142.jpg
    elevation_profile142.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 65
  • trip-113234704-map-full142.png
    trip-113234704-map-full142.png
    414.9 KB · Views: 72
  • 20230212_100610.jpg
    20230212_100610.jpg
    609.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230212_101650.jpg
    20230212_101650.jpg
    581.3 KB · Views: 62
  • 20230212_102633.jpg
    20230212_102633.jpg
    346.3 KB · Views: 60
  • 20230212_104031.jpg
    20230212_104031.jpg
    292.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 20230212_104146.jpg
    20230212_104146.jpg
    660.4 KB · Views: 64
  • 20230212_110555.jpg
    20230212_110555.jpg
    279.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 20230212_110601.jpg
    20230212_110601.jpg
    322 KB · Views: 63
A Tribute To The One & Only ❤️
I told that Polish girl in London I wanted to win her back and would dedicate my ride to her...

It all started with forgetting to take my Wahoo for the ride :) What, I still had Strava and BLEvo to record my ride. No need for the navigation really. Sunday was rather a cold day but the sunshine was glorious and the wind was weak! I put my Bioracer cycling shirt as the base layer and Helly Hansen sailor's jacket on the top. (Only yesterday I learned Bioracer was a famous brand! The shirt is excellent and can be used as a jacket at cold but not freezing weather!) I chose Roadrunner (Vado 6.0) for the ride.

1676230952506.png

As I stopped by RTV Euro AGD headquarters (a major online electronics & household equipment seller of Poland)...

...two gravel cyclists approached me! They introduced themselves (Sylwia and Piotr) and reminded me we had already been on gravel group rides! They recognized my unusual bike and stopped to ask whether I needed any help. That's the spirit! Solidarity! Camaraderie! Willingness to help! Are you surprised I love that cycling bunch? :)

1676231586670.png

As I stopped for a while exactly 20 km from the start, another gravel cyclist approached me... That time, I had no issue to recognize him! Maciek, my gravel cycling mate of several group rides! We rode together for similar kilometres and had a chat (he made a Metric Century on the day).

1676232069482.png

Eventually, I arrived to my old friend for almost 10 years, Jerzy. We first met at a guided tour of Warsaw back in 2013 when I was riding a traditional bike. We have been on numerous rides together since! (See the picture of his grandchildren; he is 75 and rode for 9,000 km in 2022 on a traditional bike!)

1676232270951.png

I taught Jerzy some new tricks on his PC, and he taught me how to wear the detachable sleeves properly! :D

1676232483727.png

I jokingly call these Vistula islands south of the Warsaw's Southern Bridge "Jerzy Islands" as he often takes photographs of them on his daily rides of the warm season :)

1676232625227.png

The excellent personnel of Specialized Warsaw had recently rebuilt my Vado 5.0 into a Vado 6.0 from the scratch there! Those guys made me a fan of the brand long time ago!

1676232857913.png

I chose returning via Kabacki Forest. There was a lot of ice there (glad I ride studded tyres...)

After swapping batteries at 58 3/4 km :) and several metres ridden afterwards, I discovered lack of assistance and the dreaded "NO BATTERY" error on the display. (Some EBR Forum members whom I chose not to name :) would have panicked -- and probably suggested a class action against Specialized) :D I did not panic but just removed the battery, strongly blew onto the battery contacts, replaced it and rode on without any further issues :)

1676233144699.png

Once, I rode into a blizzard at -9 C there... Nice although rather cold weather today!

1676233662124.png

Ride Map & Metrics.

Last edited:
Nice Mini van, I used to work on them back in my mechanic days, they were a pain to work on ;)
I was under the impression that is true of all British makes. I still have PTSD from the summer 25 years ago spent trying to help my roommate get an old Triumph TR7 in working order! I think he got it for $100 and a promise to tow it away that day.
1676234602368.png

50 minute bike ride today in Catalonia in northeastern Spain. Started at the Castell Monestir de St.Miquel d'Escoenalbou, and rode down the mountain to the town of Tarragorna and from there along the bike path next to the lake. Beautiful scenery, beautiful weather, great roads.

Meanwhile, at home outside it is pouring rain mixed with sleet, and just barely above freezing. Inside the house it is toasty warm with a fire in the wood stove.

Gotta love YouTube, and an indoor trainer. 😁🚴‍♀️

20230212_133519~2_copy_957x559.jpg

50 minute bike ride today in Catalonia in northeastern Spain. Started at the Castell Monestir de St.Miquel d'Escoenalbou, and rode down the mountain to the town of Tarragorna and from there along the bike path next to the lake. Beautiful scenery, beautiful weather, great roads.

Meanwhile, at home outside it is pouring rain mixed with sleet, and just barely above freezing. Inside the house it is toasty warm with a fire in the wood stove.

Gotta love YouTube, and an indoor trainer. 😁🚴‍♀️

View attachment 146926

I don't know how I would have made it through the brutal winter without our roller trainer. Wait a minute...we still have another 5 weeks until it's officially spring. :(

Not quite as sublime as cycling in Spain but watching videos of our past rides gives us something to look forward to.

GH010528 - frame at 0m55s.jpg

A Tribute To The One & Only ❤️
I told that Polish girl in London I wanted to win her back and would dedicate my ride to her...

It all started with forgetting to take my Wahoo for the ride :) What, I still had Strava and BLEvo to record my ride. No need for the navigation really. Sunday was rather a cold day but the sunshine was glorious and the wind was weak! I put my Bioracer cycling shirt as the base layer and Helly Hansen sailor's jacket on the top. (Only yesterday I learned Bioracer was a famous brand! The shirt is excellent and can be used as a jacket at cold but not freezing weather!) I chose Roadrunner (Vado 6.0) for the ride.

View attachment 146927
As I stopped by RTV Euro AGD headquarters (a major online electronics & household equipment seller of Poland)...

...two gravel cyclists approached me! They introduced themselves (Sylwia and Piotr) and reminded me we had already been on gravel group rides! They recognized my unusual bike and stopped to ask whether I needed any help. That's the spirit! Solidarity! Camaraderie! Willingness to help! Are you surprised I love that cycling bunch? :)

View attachment 146928
As I stopped for a while exactly 20 km from the start, another gravel cyclist approached me... That time, I had no issue to recognize him! Maciek, my gravel cycling mate of several group rides! We rode together for similar kilometres and had a chat (he made a Metric Century on the day).

View attachment 146929
Eventually, I arrived to my old friend for almost 10 years, Jerzy. We first met at a guided tour of Warsaw back in 2013 when I was riding a traditional bike. We have been on numerous rides together since! (See the picture of his grandchildren; he is 75 and rode for 9,000 km in 2022 on a traditional bike!)

View attachment 146930
I taught Jerzy some new tricks on his PC, and he taught me how to wear the detachable sleeves properly! :D

View attachment 146931
I jokingly call these Vistula islands south of the Warsaw's Southern Bridge "Jerzy Islands" as he often takes photographs of them on his daily rides of the warm season :)

View attachment 146932
The excellent personnel of Specialized Warsaw had recently rebuilt my Vado 5.0 into a Vado 6.0 from the scratch there! Those guys made me a fan of the brand long time ago!

View attachment 146933
I chose returning via Kabacki Forest. There was a lot of ice there (glad I ride studded tyres...)

After swapping batteries at 58 3/4 km :) and several metres ridden afterwards, I discovered lack of assistance and the dreaded "NO BATTERY" error on the display. (Some EBR Forum members whom I chose not to name :) would have panicked -- and probably suggested a class action against Specialized) :D I did not panic but just removed the battery, strongly blew onto the battery contacts, replaced it and rode on without any further issues :)

View attachment 146935
Once, I rode into a blizzard at -9 C there... Nice although rather cold weather today!

View attachment 146936
Ride Map & Metrics.
Weve lost our only electrical component retailer, Tandy or Radio shack, closed some time ago.
I really miss the gaming nerds who worked in there, they just loved their job and were so helpful and interested in your project.

Are we talking about....a certain short haired girl with a beautiful smile.

I've been absent from the "Our Rides" thread for a while. I guess I fell too far behind.

So, while I rode Jan 1, 2 and 3, no photos.

So to top off the latest trio of rides for today and the last two days, all the same basic route with variations of the theme. Nice days and a view of Puget Sound on such nice days deserves some coverage.

Golden Gardens1.jpg

PXL_20230211_222038931~2.jpg

PXL_20230211_221602462-.jpg

Back