2020 -Top 10 Ebikes With The Bafang G510 Ultra

Easy men, Ebike personal preferences are like noses everybody has one.....
good thing there are tons of brands to pick from. ;)

Agreed. But when some crude a$$ makes an offensive rant like him, I can’t just stay silent.

Easy men, Ebike personal preferences are like noses everybody has one.....
good thing there are tons of brands to pick from. ;)

Disclaimer: It is incredibly difficult to offend me. I commonly offend myself long before anyone else beats me to that punch. 🤪

byunbee makes very solid contributions throughout these forums. He remembers old stuff posted elsewhere - invaluable! His input in this case is good considering his perspective, and his goal was to contribute which makes forum chats more fun and useful. This stuff makes me think, which will result in a more satisfied purchase in the end.

There really is a bit of a gap due to the maturity level of the technology as I'm learning. Some legends of EBR.com forums even said it themselves...full suspension + Bafang + speedhub is a very complex challenge, but so are busted chains. I'll admit that I fall for the beauty of the design art over functionality. It's like appreciating a Delorean when a modern Honda Accord outperforms it (except the time travel category). I drive an electric hybrid as functionality wins out when it comes time to spend money (my inner byunbee came out in the end).

I definitely need to add the FREY in the Honorable Mention. If I were a magazine columnist I would have taken a lot more time to write that. There are some excellent low-cost eMTB options I stumbled across in this video clip last night:

In terms of eMTB use, not sure the Ultra is the optimal choice. I guess it depends on what type of mountain biking you plan to do. I have a Frey CC and It's great for city and light off road, but I picked up a Luna X1 for more serious off road use. It's 20 pounds lighter and much easier to load in the back of the SUV and carry over downed logs. If anything it would benefit from better tuning at lower PAS than any more power, so I think the Ludi controller might actually make it less suitable for MTB use. Again depends on how you plan to use the bike. If it's more important to blast up hills with throttle perhaps you want an Ultra based bike, and with a monster battery as you're going to need it. In that regard I think one of the Frey models suited for eMTB use like the EX might be your best choice.

@TomD how is the Frey CC for commuting ? I think the geometry is closer to trail style.. however with rear rack, that is a great combination.
Even with chain, its not a bad thing.

I think the CC would be a great choice for commuting. I find it super comfortable to ride, much more so than either of my trail bikes. The geometry works well for me at 6' 0" and I find it neutral. I think shorter riders would find it more of an upright ride. Reach might be a bit long for short riders. The rear rack is nice to have and opens up a lot of options. It is not suspended so I do notice the weight on the rack when loaded up but still better than having no rear suspension. I will sometimes lock it out on hills to improve pedal efficiency. I don't commute (semi-retired) but do try to get out every day the weather is nice to run errands. Have lost my love handles since the start of covid and from a health perspective I'd say it's one of the best investments I ever made. It's more fun to ride than my other bikes and I think that's the most important thing, find something you look forward to riding.

I wish someone would make a FS commuter bike for smaller riders (i am 5'8").. the Frey reach is too long for me.

There is a HUGE market for FS commuter ... I would be happy to buy that in addition to the UC Pro if someone built it. Are you listening @pushkar :)

p

That is why he has that model for full Emtb needs
When a model is still one the best in it's class when it is 2.5 years old, it is a testimony to it's original design and components.

The FLX Blade 2 is also a great bike, especially if design looks are more important to you, but remember it is a hardtail. Seems like you might need that rear suspension from what you are posting.
As somebody who also pondered this question, people who say just put a really good suspension seat post on it to deal with the comfort aspect, but not the safety aspect of a full suspension bike doing a much better job of keeping the wheel planted on the ground, so it's safer regardless of the increased comfort levels. Even if you don't do a ton of trail riding do your roads have lots of pot holes?
I used to live in a city that had brutal winters and in the spring riding a bike was bad as their was so many pot holes around, that needed to be filled, brutal on hardtails and you could feel the rear wheel slippage at times.

You might also consider the FREY CC on your list, it ticks alot of boxes too.

One EBR member purchased this and later upgraded the controller to WW X1, and he really like it.
I'm wondering why there hasn't been much noise around the Exess HP-180. Is it because it's more popular in Europe and not so much in the U.S.? Or is it the price? The bike looks fantastic, but I haven't seen any review on YouTube or Google.

I'm wondering why there hasn't been much noise around the Exess HP-180. Is it because it's more popular in Europe and not so much in the U.S.? Or is it the price? The bike looks fantastic, but I haven't seen any review on YouTube or Google.

I wondered the same and my conclusion is what you said - must be a combo of price and lack of awareness. I can't wait to do a review because it means I finally found enough spare change between the seat cushions to buy one.

I read that from some other posters that they reached out to Excess when the Ebike first came out and wanted to buy it and they refused to sell it into the NA market, not sure why.
So when WW reached out to be the exclusive NA distributor it was a very good fit for them. But the real scoop for them was the Innotech controller, exclusive for all of NA and can be used as an upgrade on any ultra, with Sondors launching these with this motor, this market is about to get alot bigger.

Last edited:
Nah you’re not wise. Just too ignorant to think that you have any sense. :)

OK OK OK...I am here to eat crow. byunbee I heard you but failed to listen...the UC Pro is indeed capable of easy-to-moderate trail riding and I stand corrected!

Don't celebrate too hard. Ha!

I read that from some other posters that they reached out to Excess when the Ebike first came out and wanted to buy it and they refused to sell it into the NA market, not sure why.
So when WW reached out to be the exclusive NA distributor it was a very good fit for them. But the real scoop for them was the Innotech controller, exclusive for all of NA and can be used as an upgrade on any ultra, with Sondors launching these with this motor, this market is about to get alot bigger.

Very interesting, Ebiker. Sounds like we're witnessing the formation of a whole new era. Your posts have been very helpful also.. thanks for creating this thread! I was about to reach out to Exess today, but ran out of time at work.

New bike: Bolton Ultra Mountain
Running at 1500 watts, 48v 21ah battery. Rockshox full suspension, Al frame, Tektro HDE725 hydraulic brakes, 10-speed Shimano gearing, 27.5" boost. Currently $4500

Super nice machine, Smorgas, thanks for posting. I just took a look at this. Really like the specs on this bike.. wow..

With the ability to do the WW X-1 upgrade, it really opens up possibilities! Am I correct in assuming you can buy essentially any G510 bike now, send the motor to Pushkar, and now you have an Exess controller on any bike?

Last edited:
Very interesting, Ebiker. Sounds like we're witnessing the formation of a whole new era. Your posts have been very helpful also.. thanks for creating this thread! I was about to reach out to Exess today, but ran out of time at work.

Super nice machine, Smorgas, thanks for posting. I just took a look at this. Really like the specs on this bike.. wow..

With the ability to do the WW X-1 upgrade, it really opens up possibilities! Am I correct in assuming you can buy essentially any G510 bike now, send the motor to Pushkar, and now you have an Exess controller on any bike?
Yes the owner of Watt Wagon is promoting exactly that, several owners of different Ebikes brands have already done that, for example one poster owns a FREY CC and did the upgrade, like I posted above.

When will Biktrix put the Innotrace controller in a upscale model? Surely soon. And are Roshan and Pushkar collaborating? Are Roshan and Puskar related? Inquiring minds are very curious.

When will Biktrix put the Innotrace controller in a upscale model? Surely soon. And are Roshan and Pushkar collaborating? Are Roshan and Puskar related? Inquiring minds are very curious.
I don't think so, he has the North American exclusive, I am not so sure how long the deal is for, could be a year could be 3 could be 5.
But that doesn't mean he can't sell it to other Ebike companies and make a little less margin but pump up his volume, but that would be up to him.
Personally I think it gives him an edge in the upper end class of Ebikes, an edge he might not want to sell off since he is such a young company.

With such great test results I am surprised Bafang themselves aren't moving to secure this as a upgrade people could add when they buy direct from the factory.

Last edited:
It's certainly possible for other vendors to offer the controller by licensing it thru WW. That said, with covid impacting supply chain I don't see that happening any time soon. Warranty is another issue that would need to be worked out.

I have the Alibaba generic version of the picturded model on order that uses the G510 Ultra MD and I'm thinking it should be included on your list. It is confusing as Bikonit, Bolton, Biktrix and QuietKat (Jeep) branded fat tire ebikes have used this frame style and are very similar if not the same bike. I was fortunate to be able to test ride both the hub drive (HD 750) and the dual battery mid drive (with Sturmey Archer IHD) versions at Bolton Ebikes. I really fell for the MD 1000's ride, power, range and amazing agility for such a large, heavy machine.

I realize there are many branded versions and variations of this ebike. My decision to order a blank non-branded factory direct model through Alibaba was strictly financial.

Bikonit MD 1000.jpg

Last edited:
I have the Alibaba generic version of the picturded model on order that uses the G510 Ultra MD and I'm thinking it should be included on your list. It is confusing as Bikonit, Bolton, Biktrix and QuietKat (Jeep) branded fat tire ebikes have used this frame style and are very similar if not the same bike. I was fortunate to be able to test ride both the hub drive (HD 750) and the dual battery mid drive (with Sturmey Archer IHD) versions at Bolton Ebikes. I really fell for the MD 1000's ride, power, range and amazing agility for such a large, heavy machine.

I realize there are many branded versions and variations of this ebike. My decision to order a blank non-branded factory direct model through Alibaba was strictly financial.

Hi RMK, I've also been looking at the same bike on Alibaba, it seems to check a lot of my boxes - front suspension, belt driven, dual battery mid drive, fat tires, hydraulic disc brakes, and high power. Do you have a review for it and a tested capacity for batteries? If it can do at least 40 miles on one battery and can be swapped then I'm practically sold on this bike haha. Thanks for sharing your purchase with us!

I don't think anyone has actually gotten these bikes delivered from Alibaba. I recall seeing Roshan from Biktrix recently commenting on a Facebook group that they had tested this setup and they were seeing unacceptable failure rates for the five-speed Strurmey Archer IGH. It really isn't suited for the torque and power of the Ultra and that is why I believe they don't offer it with this IGH. I recall that RMK is planning to take extra care shifting the IGH and just replace it if it fails. But people should be aware of the issues of this particular setup.

Edit: here is the post:

Last edited:
Back