2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Vado Firmware Update (at Specialized Warsaw)

This morning, Specialized Mission Control app displayed something in red. Uh-oh, beware! "Firmware updates are waiting. Contact your Specialized dealer" or something like that. And I needed a pretext for a long Winter ride! Hah! I sent Specialized Warsaw a message and they instantly replied "Welcome! (Bring your warranty card)". I was slow with packing and choosing right clothing, so I only rode out at 12:47 p.m. Well, temperature at 2 C (35 F), nasty headwind on the way out. When I reached the area of Warsaw Chopin Airport, I had to add a windbreaker and winter gloves to my Winter Armour #2. (I regretted I didn't take e-socks with me). Because of the adverse wind, I rode in 70% Sport mode.

View attachment 74267
I could have ridden for the whole way out by main roads with traffic (and I almost was doing that for most of the trip). At the south-west border of Warsaw, the GPS navigation suggested taking side roads to avoid the most dangerous road segments. Here, at a stop of Warsaw Commuter Railway (WKD). WKD is the fastest way of commuting between Warsaw and my place. The railway dates back to 1927. (It was e-train from the very beginning!)

View attachment 74273
At Specialized Warsaw showroom. The store only started in May 2020, is beautiful, with internal bike parking area, clean toilets, and excellent friendly personnel. Even with the bike shortage now, the store is well stocked with bikes and e-bikes. It took the technician just few minutes to update my Vado and both its batteries. I could get my tootsies warm meanwhile :) (It they served coffee in addition, I would be in heaven). I say, I will recommend this very store and brand to anyone with money willing to buy an e-bike!

View attachment 74269
I took a ride through Las Kabacki on the return way. Here, the eastern entry gate.

View attachment 74270
The hard mixture of gravel and dirt allowed fairly fast ride here (28 km/h).

View attachment 74271
I took a seemingly straight route home, with full traffic. 50% Sport or 100% Turbo for segments I wanted to complete fast. It was fast ride with the wind. At some red lights, a passenger of a car opened his window and exclaimed with great interest:
-- Is it a scooter?!
-- Yes, an electric one! But you have to pedal! :)
Here, a short stop by Ptak Warsaw Expo already in my neighbourhood.

View attachment 74272
This local road leads through dark woods. The road as seen in the high-beam of my Supernova headlamp.

View attachment 74276
Ride Map.

View attachment 74266
I had to stop BLEvo recording before Vado firmware update, and restart it post-update. Then I had to merge two GPX files.

No doubt I got a solid workout! :)
That bike shop looks like a pricey car dealership over here, but I'm sure that's just a coincidence...
(Car dealerships here do serve coffee and tea, rarely do bikeshops).

It is snowing here in the Sunny Okanogan. The roads are either slick, or wet and slushy.

I just finished riding in Merry 1950s England, where MURDER happens quite a bit. Today's ride was at some kind of estate, turned into a wayward boy's school. Of course, there is a very suspicious acting "American" to have along. Jane Marple is an interesting companion. We shall meet again, tomorrow for more adventure and MURDER.

Quite a bit of killing goes on in that part of the world if one is to believe Britbox. The Midsomer area is particularlyView attachment 74263 unsafe.

Today's ride was a half hour (that's all I can stand) and no hills were climbed nor coasted down.
Group ride via Britbox with Agatha!
Finished all the Julia McKenzie ones and now a third through the Geraldine McEwan versions (my fave). We rewatched the entire Poirot series last Spring.

Probably watch some Midsomer Xmas episodes over the next few weeks too.

Found the link
20200731_144249.jpg

Last edited:
Group ride via Britbox with Agatha!
Finished all the Julia McKenzie ones and now a third through the Geraldine McEwan versions (my fave). We rewatched the entire Poirot series last Spring.

Probably watch some Midsomer Xmas episodes over the next few weeks too.
Murder She Wrote was one of my girls favs, many years ago. Same show?

Vado Firmware Update (at Specialized Warsaw)

This morning, Specialized Mission Control app displayed something in red. Uh-oh, beware! "Firmware updates are waiting. Contact your Specialized dealer" or something like that. And I needed a pretext for a long Winter ride! Hah! I sent Specialized Warsaw a message and they instantly replied "Welcome! (Bring your warranty card)". I was slow with packing and choosing right clothing, so I only rode out at 12:47 p.m. Well, temperature at 2 C (35 F), nasty headwind on the way out. When I reached the area of Warsaw Chopin Airport, I had to add a windbreaker and winter gloves to my Winter Armour #2. (I regretted I didn't take e-socks with me). Because of the adverse wind, I rode in 70% Sport mode.

View attachment 74267
I could have ridden for the whole way out by main roads with traffic (and I almost was doing that for most of the trip). At the south-west border of Warsaw, the GPS navigation suggested taking side roads to avoid the most dangerous road segments. Here, at a stop of Warsaw Commuter Railway (WKD). WKD is the fastest way of commuting between Warsaw and my place. The railway dates back to 1927. (It was e-train from the very beginning!)

View attachment 74273
At Specialized Warsaw showroom. The store only started in May 2020, is beautiful, with internal bike parking area, clean toilets, and excellent friendly personnel. Even with the bike shortage now, the store is well stocked with bikes and e-bikes. It took the technician just few minutes to update my Vado and both its batteries. I could get my tootsies warm meanwhile :) (If they served coffee in addition, I would be in heaven). I say, I will recommend this very store and brand to anyone with money willing to buy an e-bike!

View attachment 74269
I took a ride through Las Kabacki on the return way. Here, the eastern entry gate.

View attachment 74270
The hard mixture of gravel and dirt allowed fairly fast ride here (28 km/h).

View attachment 74271
I took a seemingly straight route home, with full traffic. 50% Sport or 100% Turbo for segments I wanted to complete fast. It was fast ride with the wind. At some red lights, a passenger of a car opened his window and exclaimed with great interest:
-- Is it a scooter?!
-- Yes, an electric one! But you have to pedal! :)
Here, a short stop by Ptak Warsaw Expo already in my neighbourhood.

View attachment 74272
This local road leads through dark woods. The road as seen in the high-beam of my Supernova headlamp.

View attachment 74276
Ride Map.

View attachment 74266
I had to stop BLEvo recording before Vado firmware update, and restart it post-update. Then I had to merge two GPX files.

No doubt I got a solid workout! :)
That forest gate is very inviting for the trails ahead.

Fun pre-snowstorm ride to the lbs for some Winter Gear, gloves, etc., about 39 degrees F, wind about 5 mph wnw. Calling for 6-12 inches of snow tomorrow afternoon through Thursday morning. I cannot wait to get out there and enjoy the cold; ended up going about 19 miles or so. Finally got the 85nm update and emtb mode, wow does it make a difference! Sadly, the restaurants and bars are closed again for indoor/outdoor dining so couldn't enjoy an after ride cuppa joe. Happy Trails...

20201215_133416.jpg
20201215_145200.jpg

Fun pre-snowstorm ride to the lbs for some Winter Gear, gloves, etc., about 39 degrees F, wind about 5 mph wnw. Calling for 6-12 inches of snow tomorrow afternoon through Thursday morning. I cannot wait to get out there and enjoy the cold; ended up going about 19 miles or so. Finally got the 85nm update and emtb mode, wow does it make a difference! Sadly, the restaurants and bars are closed again for indoor/outdoor dining so couldn't enjoy an after ride cuppa joe. Happy Trails...

View attachment 74288View attachment 74289
Nice integrated Helmet/Goggles.. any issues with fogging?

This is one of my favourite rides: the road to Bluff Knoll (centre) in the Stirling Range in the southwestern corner of Western Australia.

The best thing about this ride is that it is one-way. There is no through traffic; only tourists, hikers and, I'm glad to add, a few cyclists make the journey to the car park. From there a graded walking track – single track if you're on an eMTB – leads to the summit (1,099 m) through beautiful heathland.

The winding road below was a minor challenge on the way up but, on the return journey to the campsite was positively exhilarating.

Bluff Knoll, Stirling Range, Western Australia

This is one of my favourite rides: the road to Bluff Knoll (centre) in the Stirling Range in the southwestern corner of Western Australia.

The best thing about this ride is that it is one-way. There is no through traffic; only tourists, hikers and, I'm glad to add, a few cyclists make the journey to the car park. From there a graded walking track – single track if you're on an eMTB – leads to the summit (1,099 m) through beautiful heathland.

The winding road below was a minor challenge on the way up but, on the return journey to the campsite was positively exhilarating.

View attachment 74337
Wow, that view must be incredible, and the ride too. I am jealous!

Back