2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Next time you're by that way could you take a close up of that sign that 'bans' things. Curious minds want to know. 👍

Also, can't help but note the mansions across the pond. Wonder how and where they got their millions.
Here's the sign, and those "mansions" in the area called Royal Oak, are likely cheaper than what you might think.
As to where they got their money, in Calgary, the easiest bet is Oil and Gas. Not always true, but it's the economic engine that runs this place.
Or at least it used to...

StormWaterSign.JPG

My longest ride since I was 16 years old (and maybe the longest ever???).

This past Sunday I rode to south Calgary to assist a friend with her wi-fi setup.
I live near the northern edge of Calgary, and she lives near the southern edge, but there's a great north-south pathway system, including some beautiful parts along the Bow River.

The route and details:

View attachment 73947View attachment 73948

The forecast was for some windy weather later in the day, so I took my goggles too, but ended not needing them (although the wind was starting to freshen about halfway home).

View attachment 73949

The first stretch was all fairly boring stuff - pathways along a major highway, and I rode quite a while with no assist. It was flat with perhaps a slight downhill, so I took advantage.
As I hit the section that ran beside the Bow River, there were a flock of geese enjoying some firm footing ON the river by the railway bridge just east of an area called the Harvie Passage - a canoe and kayak friendly area of the Bow river.

View attachment 73950 View attachment 73951 View attachment 73952

As I continued southwards, there were lots of people walking and riding on the pathways, but others were using the river for more traditional pursuits:

View attachment 73953 View attachment 73954 View attachment 73955 View attachment 73956 View attachment 73957 View attachment 73958 View attachment 73959 View attachment 73960

View attachment 73960 View attachment 73961 View attachment 73962 View attachment 73963

I won't bore with the urban riding, I kept to bike paths and side streets to get to my friends place which was a few kilometres from the river. Did my work (a little Access Point tuning) and had a nice visit with lunch.
I also charged my bike for about an hour or so, although I probably didn't need to. I'd used 34% for the trip south.

Heading home, I took a slightly different route back to the Bow River Pathway system, and proceeded North. By now it's early afternoon, and the pathways, as expected, were very, very busy. Rang my bell a zillion times and the odd person even noticed. ;)

View attachment 73964

Followed the pathway along the river and took a hydration break by the Harvie Passage, but then took a slightly different route home, as I've ridden the main N-S pathway many, many times on my old bike.

View attachment 73965 View attachment 73966 View attachment 73967

All in all, a really enjoyable ride. I got to ride fairly quickly on the trip south, but it was slow on the way home due to pathway congestion as it was a pretty nice day.
I had wrapped my battery with my neoprene scrap, but really didn't need it - and didn't need the goggles, my vest and probably the charger either.
Dang. That IS a long ride. Maybe your friend should have invited you to stay over and go back the next day. ;)

Now I am quite curious. How on earth could something as heavy and unwieldy as a freight train proceed upon such a narrow 'foundation'?
Our local Nevada County Narrow Gauge Railroad (NCNGRR) also used closely spaced tracks (narrow gauge) to help tighten curve radii in the steep terrain between the gold mines and the standard gauge rail tracks to the south-east where gold, timber, and agricultiral products would be off loaded onto the standard gauge cars.

Being mostly a commercial carrier, passengers on the NCNGRR nicknamed it the Never Come Never Go Railroad for its tendency to wait for important cargo, rather than keep published schedules.

Mixed_passenger_and_freight_train_from_the_Nevada_County_Narrow_Gauge_Railroad_makes_its_way_a...jpg

The wooden bridge (circa 1895) over the Bear River stood until the early 60's when it was dynamited to make way for a new dam. The tracks had been pulled up in the early 40's to support the war effort after the mines were closed as non-essential industries for the war.

Now I am quite curious. How on earth could something as heavy and unwieldy as a freight train proceed upon such a narrow 'foundation'?
Except for some minor exceptions the South African railway system runs exclusively on the narrow 3’6” (1067mm) gauge, and they run some of the heaviest freight trains in the world. Many other African countries from the colonial era also use the same gauge. It was cheaper to build and easier to navigate some of the difficult terrain found there.

My longest ride since I was 16 years old (and maybe the longest ever???).
Randall: I'm interested with some ride metrics:
-- Temperature and wind?
-- 500 Wh battery?
-- What assistance modes were you using?
-- Battery consumption?

A good feat!

Roadblock …

Pelicans, Wynnum, Moreton Bay, Brisbane

Moreton Bay Cycleway
Wynnum, Brisbane
It's no good abandoning the Moreton Bay Cycleway to avoid the dog-walkers and headphone-wearing joggers: you'll be brought to a stop by Big Bird and friends!

Map : Manly & Wynnum : Moreton Bay

Last edited by a moderator:
@Stefan Mikes
  • Around 6-9C for the trip south, with very little wind.
    Going home (north) a bit warmer, but with a headwind to battle, and it's gaining altitude for the second half of that direction.
  • 500 Wh battery
  • Southern leg, mainly Eco (1) , but some (2) and I think I went to (3) at one longer, steeper hill. Maybe 3 or 4 Kms with no assist.
    I can rarely remember the names of the assist levels (EVO display has LEDS only).
  • On the trip south I used 34% which would be about 1% per Km.
Sunday.JPG

I can't provide data on the ride north as I'd left the Ridecontrol App paused while I was at my friends.
I then charged the battery for about an hour and I did expect the app to update with the new charge level which it did not.
It did not :( (and I didn't really care), so I don't know my consumption on the way home.
But it was very windy for the last 15Kms on the way home and I was getting tired so I rode more in 2 and 3 for the last 12Kms..
I got home with 29% so I will make a SWAG @1.8% per Km.

Roadblock …
[photo]
It's no good abandoning the Moreton Bay Cycleway to avoid the dog-walkers and headphone-wearing joggers: you'll be brought to a stop by Big Bird and friends!
Exhilarating! :D

I then charged the battery for about an hour
That was the missing variable for me :) I can remember how I was struggling to ride for 64 km on the 500 Wh battery and how my life changed after buying the 625 Wh one. (Did you know Giant have still not been able to deliver the skid-plate for my larger battery?)
(EVO display has LEDS only)
Ride Control ONE, you mean. Giant used to be inconsistent with their Assist Mode names but it seems they have standardised on: Eco, Basic, Active, Sport, Power.

That was the missing variable for me :) I can remember how I was struggling to ride for 64 km on the 500 Wh battery and how my life changed after buying the 625 Wh one. (Did you know Giant have still not been able to deliver the skid-plate for my larger battery?)

Ride Control ONE, you mean. Giant used to be inconsistent with their Assist Mode names but it seems they have standardised on: Eco, Basic, Active, Sport, Power.
Yes, RideControl ONE - not sure what I was thinking.
I'm sure I could have done the round trip without charging, but since I carried the charger I thought I'd use it just in case it got really windy, or my legs gave me trouble.
No matter what route I was going home, I had some good climbs that had to be done.

Waiting for friends …

Manly Boat Harbour

Manly Boat Habour
Map on previous page.
On Wednesdays I ride with a group of friends whom I met back in August. I was about to head up the northern section of the Moreton Bay Cycleway but got chatting to the owner of an interesting etrike at the car park. Ten minutes later I was riding along with them and have done so ever since. Each week we head off somewhere new; there is some repetition, but that does not matter.

This Wednesday we rode the northern half of the southern section of the Moreton Bay Cycleway – if that makes sense – and, as the start time was quite late (7.30 am), I was put in a few kilometres beforehand, first north to Elenora Park (photo below) and then south to the end of the Manly Boat Harbour rock wall (above). I'm sure the yachties get a ton of fun from sailing their craft on the bay – I did a few decades ago – but ebiking equals it!

Moreton Bay Cycleway : Elenora Park : Wynnum

Moreton Bay Cycleway
Elenora Park : Wynnum

We are having a warm spell here in Northern Virginia. Temps up in the low 60's (f) (16c) for the next several days. Today had the extra benefit of being both calm and sunny. A good combo.

As always, there is a tug of war between what needs to be done on the farm, and the lure of the road and a fast bike. This morning the farm projects won, but a window of opportunity arose in the afternoon, right when the weather was at it's finest. It didn't take long to pump the LaFree's tires, pack some water, and set off on the gravel roads for a calming 18 mile ride. It was already late enough in the day for the shadows to start getting long, and the sun to be drifting down to "can't see a darn thing" eye squinting/car windshield level, so I wasn't keen on doing any paved roads. Thus all my views looked like this:
IMG-12092020.jpg

At one point during the ride I passed an elderly gentleman walking his gravel road by himself. As I wished him good afternoon, I paused to look at his face. Thinking I recognized him, I asked if he lived just up the road. He did, and smiled as he said that he remembered meeting me just as the pandemic began. I stopped and said I remembered, too. It was way back in March, and that I remember him telling me about his wife, who had cancer, being afraid to go to her appointments. I asked how she was doing. At that point we simply took command of the middle of the road chatting for about 20 minutes to catch up on all the news, stepping aside only twice to allow the two lone cars using the road to pass us with smiles and waves. I was glad to hear his wife was hanging in there, although sad that she was suffering from the chemo treatments. He said the worst was not having family around for her wellbeing as the virus had her put a halt to any relatives visiting. But, they both were still in good health, he said, and ready to stand at the head of the line once the vaccine is ready to distribute.

As we took our leave with shared smiles and waves goodbye, I reflected that there is nothing nicer than living in the county and meeting gracious folk almost every time one rides. If there is one thing good that this year has offered, it is the kindness of friends and strangers to make the bad times a bit more tolerable, and a bit more cheery.

Last edited:
I too snatched a ride in the late afternoon in the same weather a little south of you. You nailed it about the sun angle, something to avoid. And finally I cut through a neighborhood where a father and his tow headed 4yo were delighted by my passage.

We are having a warm spell here in Northern Virginia. Temps up in the low 60's (f) (16c) for the next several days. Today had the extra benefit of being both calm and sunny. A good combo.

As always, there is a tug of war between what needs to be done on the farm, and the lure of the road and a fast bike. This morning the farm projects won, but a window of opportunity arose in the afternoon, right when the weather was at it's finest. It didn't take long to pump the LaFree's tires, pack some water, and set off on the gravel roads for a calming 18 mile ride. It was already late enough in the day for the shadows to start getting long, and the sun to be drifting down to "can't see a darn thing" eye squinting/car windshield level, so I wasn't keen on doing any paved roads. Thus all my views looked like this:
View attachment 74008
At one point during the ride I passed an elderly gentleman walking his gravel road by himself. As I wished him good afternoon, I paused to look at his face. Thinking I recognized him, I asked if he lived just up the road. He did, and smiled as he said that he remembered meeting me just as the pandemic began. I stopped and said I remembered, too. It was way back in March, and that I remember him telling me about his wife, who had cancer, being afraid to go to her appointments. I asked how she was doing. At that point we simply took command of the middle of the road chatting for about 20 minutes to catch up on all the news, stepping aside only twice to allow the two lone cars using the road to pass us with smiles and waves. I was glad to hear his wife was hanging in there, although sad that she was suffering from the chemo treatments. He said the worst was not having family around for her wellbeing as the virus had her put a halt to any relatives visiting. But, they both were still in good health, he said, and ready to stand at the head of the line once the vaccine is ready to distribute.

As we took our leave with shared smiles and waves goodbye, I reflected that there is nothing nicer than living in the county and meeting gracious folk almost every time one rides. If there is one thing good that this year has offered, it is the kindness of friends and strangers to make the bad times a bit more tolerable, and a bit more cheery.
Northern VA has some great trails and backroads. Loudoun County, Ashburn here.

Let It Snow...

I started with a broom to clean my home entry stairs from fresh snowfall (first one this Winter). That would be no fun to collapse there with an e-bike... (I struggle with the thought to place my e-bikes in the basement to get off home over a ramp... But the basement storage would require removing the battery each time).

A pretext for the ride was necessary. Ah. I might ride out to the vet to buy cat food for Tygra :D Done!

It was slippery. For instance, a car could not get over a railway crossing, the car wheels spinning at standstill. Oh. My Monster with 2.6" off-road tyres made of soft rubber compound had no trouble whatsoever! Yes, I rode very slowly in ECO mode (as my driving experience tells me high wheel torque equals to imminent tyre slippage); and I was cornering cautiously. Honestly, my winter boots were more apt to slip then the tyres!

Now, I consider significant deflation of the tubeless Monster tyres for even better Winter traction :)

View attachment 73900
At a nice (and lit) bike path in a local park.

View attachment 73901
Bike infrastructure in Podkowa Leśna. WKD commuter train in the background.

View attachment 73902
Notice very low average speed.

Dedicated to @Art Deco :)
Your determination to ride is inspiring. I had to prepare with a lot of self talk to ride in windy 40F today... Stefan, you and other determined souls here give me the ‘push’ I need! Bravo 👏🚴‍♀️

Your determination to ride is inspiring. I had to prepare with a lot of self talk to ride in windy 40F today... Stefan, you and other determined souls here give me the ‘push’ I need! Bravo 👏🚴‍♀️
The snow has disappeared now. You should have seen me on my Friday's grocery shopping ride though. I had two largest Ortlieb panniers with me and an Ortlieb pannier-backpack on my back :) While inside the store, I carefully loaded all the bags with groceries up to their top; then had to come back home. I admit I had to use the Turbo mode to negotiate a junction before the lights turned red... :D I didn't want to stop with all that baggage!

Farmland for the time being …

Fernvale, Queensland

Fernvale, Queensland
In the near future this area just outside the village of Fernvale will be jammed with houses. It's what happens when the population keeps doubling, but I'll enjoy taking a break beside the rail trail until then.

Map : Fernvale

Most of my rides are out-and-back, so adding the pairs of distance markers from the Ride with GPS map will usually provide a indicator of ride length – 49 km in this instance.

At 15 km I raided an ATM at the local shopping centre; then at 16 km rode along the cycle path past the school; the photo was taken at 17 km after a right-angle turn that clearly wasn't part of the sinuous rail trail 31–34 km on the return from a coffee break at Lowood.

Back