2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
The "ride into the tailwind" is confusing. If I ride "into the wind" , I ride against it, or I fight the headwind. If I ride with the wind, I'm moving propelled by the tailwind, or, I'm moving in the same direction as the wind's blowing.
How can you "ride into the tailwind"? I thought you only could ride with the tailwind or ride into the headwind. Obvious language confusion!

We start the ride upwind, meaning "into the headwind".
We finish the ride with the wind, that is, downwind ;)
I see where I screwed up. I meant ride into the headwind. I don’t know whether it was Apple’s autocorrect or just a brain fart. Sorry for the confusion. 😵

@Stefan Mikes Amazing effort in that heat, loved reading your story once again! :) Before I got my ebike I always started my ride into the headwind, which meant a tailwind on the way home when I was more tired, with the e bike I do the opposite! ;) Of course when the wind changes on you without an ebike it can get interesting, it happened to me on more than one occasion back in the day!

One I can clearly remember was a ride to Edinburgh Airport which is around 28 miles, when I set off the wind was an easterly around 15mph and it was quite a workout to get there! I stayed for a couple of hours to watch the planes and suddenly I was aware of the planes landing from the other direction, the wind had changed to a westerly and it was around 20mph!!! I could have taken the easy option and jumped on a train but I was pretty fit in those days and although it was hard work I managed to make it home without collapsing! 🤣 I actually made it a metric century, I did a detour to the south a little for some respite!;)

Still on islands:

View attachment 57003

View attachment 57004

View attachment 57005

View attachment 57006

Two minutes of pants-wetting terror: Deception Pass Bridge, Highway 20, WA:

View attachment 57007

View attachment 57008
Been on the Guemes ferry with my car a few times. That’s one small ferry compared to my commuter ferry from Bainbridge. Did you ride the road over Deception. Not sure my wife would like that, though she doesn’t like looking down on the right there. Beautiful though. Nice pictures.

Stefan Mikes, do not read this because we were riding our under $1500 bikes. A frazzled woman forgot to put her memory card in the camera, so there are no photos of the meadow in bloom. Imagine a meadow at 4500 feet with grass, Lupine, Daisies, and...lots of Indian paint flowers in bloom. Such was the case today. Achoo!

I called up my friend who cannot drive for a while due to a medical condition. She has to go 6 months episode free before her license is restored. She said yup, that she would like to go, so I threw together stuff and loaded up the Radmini because the roads are not the best where we were going.

We arrived. I got scoffed at when I said I saw a road on Google Maps in an area where I know we hiked before. Seemed like it was a road that was now a trail at that time. I took off in that direction only to exclaim, "Those Bastards!" when I came upon a locked gate across the road. I got a "told you so" and we went up another terrible road. It was steep and quite rocky. I dismounted in a few places and used the throttle to get the bike up the road with me hanging on and trying to keep up. At one spot, the bike reared up and went down on its side almost taking me with it.

Meanwhile, the Demon Dog is having a blast. There are lots of smells and little critters that must be stalked and chased. There was still a bit of water in places, in fact in one spot water made the road hard to ride on. She could keep going without me having to pour her water. We made it up to the end of the road where there is a cabin, corral and big water tank. I got the Demon to jump into the tank where she ended up making a couple of swimming strokes to climb out and get back onto the trail of little critters. We humans took a break here and discussed having to go back down what we had come up. It was not a pleasant thought.

We went back down braking hard. We walked our bikes through a couple of problem spots, again and took the long way around to avoid the rough ATV trail that we had come up part way on. We rode down to a creek so hot dogs could cool off for a final time but had to convince some cows to leave the area first, which they did under protest. They were not violent cows so we were not attacked.

Then it was back to the pretty meadow to load bikes into the pickup and head back down to the hot valley.

That was our cheap bike adventure today.

Today's ride 'burned' through my battery in just 26 miles, started at 100% charge, ended at 18%. Did a steep climb I'd never ridden before. For the 1st time I was in the largest cog on my Vado 5, 42t. Max assist up this grade. The app was posting real time power as I finally had to stand and pump up this hill; I was over 280W, the motor over 700W. Not bad for a 250W 'nominal' mid-drive! Glad I had a new chain on.

Got to the top and stopped for a break, for me and the motor. Looked back and saw this sign for downhill traffic;

0629201247_Film1.jpg

3000' elevation gain, 26 miles, 488Whr used, 41mph max speed

I'm having an ice tea while I cool down at home. I think I'm getting too old for this...😎

Got to the top and stopped for a break, for me and the motor. Looked back and saw this sign for downhill traffic;

3000' elevation gain, 26 miles, 488Whr used, 41mph max speed

I'm having an ice tea while I cool down at home. I think I'm getting too old for this...😎
Scary!!!

Stefan Mikes, do not read this because we were riding our under $1500 bikes.
My Lovelec was under $2000 ;) It's not the price; it's the word "throttle" that is against my religion :D

Needed something to buy at a specific gas station in our county capital; rode out at 3:57 a.m. It was at least not raining; thermoactive cycling clothing was appropriate. Vado 5.0 is the "e-bike Ferrari"! (I also love the Supernova M99 Pro automatic headlight; it changed from low-beam to daytime light at 4:38 a.m. itself, and back to the low-beam when I re-entered our woody neighbourhood).

1593486651282.png

Last edited:
Are you coming back up toward Bellingham? Looks like you are heading south. It would be fun to finally connect on a ride sometime.

I would like that too.

I am on the Olympic Peninsula right now trying to figure out when my car will be fixed and when I can pick it up.

Been on the Guemes ferry with my car a few times. That’s one small ferry compared to my commuter ferry from Bainbridge. Did you ride the road over Deception. Not sure my wife would like that, though she doesn’t like looking down on the right there. Beautiful though. Nice pictures.

Every time I've crossed the Deception Pass bridge on a bike I swore I'd never do it again (the first time was during the Carter Administration). Yet here I am doing it again!

Disaster strikes: vexing flat in my rear tire yesterday.

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 6.50.10 PM.png

In happier moments near Fort Casey:

whidbey.png

Noticed a totally flat rear tire on the ferry, so I walked my bike from the ferry dock to a shady spot in a park to figure out what was wrong. After I pulled out a couple of pieces of tire belt from my tire and patched the holes (holes!) in my tube I limped up the hill to my hotel...

Disaster strikes: vexing flat in my rear tire yesterday.

View attachment 57207

In happier moments near Fort Casey:

View attachment 57208

Noticed a totally flat rear tire on the ferry, so I walked my bike from the ferry dock to a shady spot in a park to figure out what was wrong. After I pulled out a couple of pieces of tire belt from my tire and patched the holes (holes!) in my tube I limped up the hill to my hotel...
Should have found some wood to knock on when we were discussing tires :oops:!

Today, the good news is that I'm getting really good at fixing a flat Dutch Style.

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 6.54.31 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-29 at 6.54.49 PM.png

I love doing this on my bike:

port-gamble.png

The pretty village of Port Gamble:

port-gamble-2.png
\

Hood Canal bridge: less scary than the Deception Pass bridge, but longer and slightly windier:

hood-canal.png

Olympic Discovery Trail near Blyn, WA:

odt-blyn.png

Today, the good news is that I'm getting really good at fixing a flat Dutch Style.
Ever considered tubeless?

Then I won't mention having to use that thing that starts with the letter T to get going up the hills and to run it up the hills.
Perhaps you should get an e-MTB? ;)

That is the place for the proper use of the T-thing :D (Funny thing: It is not only street-legal in Europe but also falls into the same L1e-B Class as my Vado 5.0...)
1593488881812.png

Last edited:
I have seen that awesome Mars Chameleon colour Anna and it looks even better in person....sweet bike!
Ahhh...thank you! I disliked the color when I first saw It. It looked like a dead red rose color in the shop. (I even commented to the shop owner, “Why would anyone paint a bike that color? What were they thinking!”) It was a two hour drive to get there and I left. Desperate to get a full suspension Liv ebike, I slept on it. I woke up the next day realizing I’d Just have to get over the color. Slim picken’s! (The fellow I bought the bike from was pleasant but he didn’t know anything about the Ride Control software...😳.) Anyway, I am truly enjoying the bike. 😁 I now like the color. Outside the paint color is rusty, dusty purple or bronze depending on the light. Definitely different. 🚴‍♀️
B0F8F7AC-ACF6-470B-BFCF-A018247B7881.jpeg

Back