2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
I lived in this area almost 30 years and never really paid attention to the area. So, decided to check out the nearest bay leading out to Newport Beach.
1593332015284.png
1593332538827.png

1593331741285.png

1593332056403.png

Last edited:
Looks like a nice place to ride. I see you finally got that kickstand on the bike. :)

Do you like those Wellgo pedals? I hated them because the reflectors kept falling off. I dumped them for some cheap platform pedals.
Yeah...it took a while, but I finally got 'em. 😓

The pedals came with the bike, and I just kept it as is. I figure I can buy Stamps if it ever falls off. It's fine for now. :)

Nancy and I got in a great ride yesterday. I finally have my Allant back with a working rear hub and fell in love all over again. What a great, lively and fun bike to ride. 35 miles in tour out in the countryside, stopping by roadside stands for fresh shortbread and local strawberries. Some homemade cookies and lemonade along the way.

DSCF0241.jpg

June 27 ride.jpg

Not a rail trail …
2020-06-26-084605a-2000-gb10.jpg

Darra, Brisbane
I found this suburban trail quite by accident and rode it several times before deciding that it was time to find out why these strange concrete beams had been left on either side of the path. There are many more scattered placed neatly beside the trail for the next three or four kilometres.

Here is a clue…
2020-06-26-092202-2000-gb10.jpg

Coral: tens of thousands of tonnes of the stuff… and that's what was left over after it was decided that turning coral into cement might not be such an environmentally sustainable idea after all. The 3.5 km conveyor belt from the Brisbane River to the cement works fell idle and most of its easement was turned into a walking and cycling trail.

Some parts of that trail are best left to those riding Giant Trance ebikes (but most is easy)…

2020-06-26-090351-2000-gb10.jpg

2020-06-26-092805-2000-gb10.jpg

Coral stockpile & remnants of conveyor.
Oxley Wharf, Brisbane River.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sunny but breezy 12 miles on the northeast side of Whidbey Island today. Head wind not an issue for my La Free, but slowed my DH in his acoustic bike down.

Though the bike always performs in a stellar manner, can't say the same for the app (version 1.4.2) today. First, it closed and lost the ride at just over the halfway point (this could have been user error because I was closing out several messaging apps and may have hit the wrong button :p). So, restarted the app for the second half of the ride, but would not upload at the end so lost that half, also. Fortunately, I had noted both mileages, but all the other stats are lost.

I'm left with only a photo of some bucolic cattle to remember the outing by:

IMG_20200628_113211642~2.jpg

Back to using Map My Ride for everything except tuning and battery check!

Not a rail trail …
View attachment 56927
Darra, Brisbane
I found this suburban trail quite by accident and rode it several times before deciding that it was time to find out why these strange concrete beams had been left on either side of the path. There are many more scattered placed neatly beside the trail for the next three or four kilometres.

Here is a clue…
View attachment 56928

Coral: tens of thousands of tonnes of the stuff… and that's what was left over after it was decided that turning coral into cement might not be such an environmentally sustainable idea after all. The 3.5 km conveyor belt from the Brisbane River to the cement works fell idle and most of its easement turned into a walking and cycling trail.

Some parts of that trail are best left to those riding Giant Trance ebikes (but most is easy)…

View attachment 56988

View attachment 56989
Coral stockpile & remnants of conveyor.
Oxley Wharf, Brisbane River.
We had coral-based cement paving when we lived on Guam - it was slick as snot when it was wet! Which was daily, during the rainy season!

On my last ride, I was trying to figure out the different in average speed riding against a headwind and riding back with the tailwind. I'm sure it'll be different for everyone, but with about 6 mph wind speed, I was averaging ~14-15 mph in the tailwind headwind and 20 mph with the tailwind. If I have to ride in windy days, I always prefer to start my ride into the tailwind headwind, so that I have something to look forward to on my return trip. :D

Last edited:
Around the Zegrze Reservoir (Metric Century Ride)

I cast my vote in the Polish presidential elections at 7:30 a.m. I rode my Lovelec e-bike to the polling station, wearing a face screen and full gloves. Jacek cast his vote at about the same time at his place, which is some 40 km away from mine. We got together at his place at 9:08 a.m. and drove with our e-bikes to Wyszków, the town on River Bug that is already familiar to you from my other ride stories. As I'm losing my brother as a riding partner for a month (Jacek will have all weekends busy in July), I had planned a long and interesting journey. The plan was to make a metric century loop around the Zegrze Reservoir (starting from Wyszków to ride upwind), and now I owe you some additional information.

The Hungarian are proud of Balaton, which is the biggest natural lake in East Europe (Hungary is a land-locked country, so Balaton is their "internal sea"). Poland has the access to the Baltic Sea, yet Warsaw never had a large lake around. In 1963, the Zegrze Reservoir was man-made by constructing a dam near to the place joint Rivers Narew and Bug join River Vistula. The artificial lake has become an inland-sailing mecca and huge recreational area for Warsawers.

1593401200655.png

The day was a real Summer one (I love such days!) with full sunshine, temperature approaching 30 C (86 F), and a pretty strong westerly breeze. Jacek was riding my Vado set to 20% pedal-assistance and on a single battery (important!), and I rode my Goode Ole Mule Lovelec with a heavy pannier and a spare battery. Lovelec is a fantastic e-bike for long excursions since once it gets on 30.5-32 km/h (19-20 mph), it stays there. The first 33 km involved a typical Mazovian ride against the wind, not very much to talk about.

"Jacek, you're riding the Vado with the minimum e-support. Does it really help you?" -- I was curious -- "Bro, we're riding as fast as 30 km/h into the wind, any conclusions?" -- Jacek smiled.

1593402306159.png

Then we saw that. Here, the River Narew before the River Bug joins it. I really regret I had no real camera with me; the smartphone was unable to take good pictures. Actually, the river is even wider north of Serock than shown.

1593402503174.png

The image quality is terrible... Anyway, you can see a motor-boat pretending to be an amphibious car here :D

1593402639469.png

The town of Serock (where River Bug joins the Narew) is just beautiful; of course not a single photo taken there... We rode downhill to take some ride along the lake's shore. There is a short and fairly easy technical bike trail there, yet my Lovelec was no match even for that. Suddenly, I saw a dangerous downhill segment ahead. Panicked, stopped hard, and the bike started falling... "No way I let me fall again!" I thought in a millisecond. I jumped from the bike, and the bike fell alone. The day saved! :D

1593403031810.png

A public (and free) beach in Serock. Most of the area around the lake is occupied by recreational centres owned by large companies and sports clubs (also many marinas), with some space available to the general public.

I was recollecting my youth. When I was 13, I joined the Yacht Klub Polski (that's the club's name) and began my short inland-sailing adventure. We had a base on a ship moored at the YKP marina very close to the beach shown. It was a wonderful month in the Summer! Later, I started participating in sailing races on the Zegrze Lake and it was what discouraged me from sailing very soon. Competetive sports are not for me. (After we DNF the first race, I quit sailing).

1593403738583.png

A rest at 47th kilometre. We soon realized we needed more water for drinking! We could buy more water in Nieporęt, and I was so naugthy I allowed me some ice-cream! :D

1593404029796.png

The largest (and nearest to Warsaw) public beach in Nieporęt was in a state of mess. Anyone trying to get there had trouble to park their car first (the police were issuing hundreds of tickets for wrong parking, we could witness that!) There was immense traffic on the road segment as shown. To get onto the beach (paid admission), you had to wait in line perhaps for hours, since the number of people admitted to the beach was limited due to covid. We were in luxurious situation as the traffic jam (add car accidents to it) didn't pertain to us, the cyclists.

The Road-Cycling Race (won!)
Around 35 km to the completing of the loop, Jacek and I were tired and lacking the motivation, even if we were riding downwind. Suddenly, a fairly young road-cyclist overtook us! We didn't even blink. Almost automatically, we pushed on the pedals harder and our cadence increased.

-- Jacek, bro, what if we pursue that guy? If we caught up with him, I could say something really funny to him -- I said.
-- Start spinning, you're lagging -- Jacek said.
-- Should I say "start spinning, you're lagging" to him? -- I laughed.
-- No. You start spinning. You're lagging! -- Jacek barked at me.

A silence fell. We were deadly calm and really meant the business. The speed was increasing. 31... 32... 33... 34... 35 km/h. Jacek was on his 20/20% PAS and I was on a 250W hub-drive motor PAS 3 of 5. We pedalled hard for 7 kilometres and I finally rode two-abreast the road cyclist.

-- Hello! Good day to you! The peloton has just cancelled your attack! -- I smiled to the guy. He blinked.
-- Ah. So you're riding that kind of bike... -- he said -- I was thinking it was something wrong with me when I noticed two tourists approaching me from behind...
-- Yeah, sure! We're riding electric bikes. But we don't compete with you really, it was meant as a practical joke -- at that moment we rode 34 km/h and none of us was panting -- you see, I'm almost sixty -- I smiled at the guy.
-- Where are you from, guys? -- he wanted to know.
-- We're making a metric century loop, starting in Wyszków.
-- Oh. I'm from Warsaw, starting in Jagów. I had to bring my bike to this area, since a road-bike is not practical on Warsaw bike paths...
-- We're both actually Warsawers, too -- I said -- Yes, certainly, a road-bike needs a road to be ridden! Let me tell you I respect road cyclists very much as you guys have a real passion for the sport! Thank you for giving us a great motivation!

The guy started drafting behind Jacek and I was leading the pack.

-- Jacek! -- I yelled -- A joke is a joke but I cannot ride for the next 27 kilometres at that speed! We need to slow down a bit! Friend! Lead the pack! Ride on! -- I shouted at the road biker and he followed the suit, slowly disappearing in front of us.

He made our day. Our morale improved and we continued riding towards Wyszków.

1593406077732.png

The Vado and the Lovelec are made for road. Although we both hated it, we had to take an off-road shortcut. I spotted nice tourist shelters and we took a long rest some 10 km to the destination. It was a fortunate decision. While we were enjoying the Nature, there was a rainfall in Wyszków. When we later reached Wyszków, the rain was already over :) I had ridden for some two hours without the jersey. Got minor sunburn :D

1593406589209.png

Jacek's result: 67% of Vado battery used for 100 km. His maximum single-battery range would be 150 km (93 mi). Practical range would be 90 miles. Jacek is a candidate for the Specialized Turbo Vado SL, I think.

Our detailed route can be found under the link

1593406872555.png

100.9 km in 4 hours and 1 minute. Our average speed was 25.12 km/h (around 15.6 mph). My first battery was good for 71 kilometres.

@byunbee, our strategy is different from yours. I always plan the upwind segment first to ride with the wind when we're tired.

Last edited:
Around the Zegrze Reservoir (Metric Century Ride)

I cast my vote in the Polish presidential elections at 7:30 a.m. I rode my Lovelec e-bike to the polling station, wearing a face screen and full gloves. Jacek cast his vote at about the same time at his place, which is some 40 km away from mine. We got together at his place at 9:08 a.m. and drove with our e-bikes to Wyszków, the town on River Bug that is already familiar to you from my other ride stories. As I'm loosing my brother as a riding partner for a month (Jacek will have all weekends busy in July), I had planned a long and interesting journey. The plan was to make a metric century loop around the Zegrze Reservoir (starting from Wyszków to ride upwind), and now I owe you some additional information.

The Hungarian are proud of Balaton, which is the biggest natural lake in East Europe (Hungary is a land-locked country, so Balaton is their "internal sea"). Poland has the access to the Baltic Sea, yet Warsaw never had a large lake around. In 1963, the Zegrze Reservoir was man-made by constructing a dam near to the place joint Rivers Narew and Bug join River Vistula. The artificial lake has become an inland-sailing mecca and huge recreational area for Warsawers.

View attachment 57110

The day was a real Summer one (I love such days!) with full sunshine, temperature approaching 30 C (86 F), and a pretty strong westerly breeze. Jacek was riding my Vado set to 20% pedal-assistance and on a single battery (important!), and I rode my Goode Ole Mule Lovelec with a heavy pannier and a spare battery. Lovelec is a fantastic e-bike for long excursions since once it gets on 30.5-32 km/h (19-20 mph), it stays there. The first 33 km involved a typical Mazovian ride against the wind, not very much to talk about.

"Jacek, you're riding the Vado with the minimum e-support. Does it really help you?" -- I was curious -- "Bro, we're riding as fast as 30 km/h into the wind, any conclusions?" -- Jacek smiled.

View attachment 57122
Then we saw that. Here, the River Narew before the River Bug joins it. I really regret I had no real camera with me; the smartphone was unable to take good pictures. Actually, the river is even wider north of Serock than shown.

View attachment 57123
The image quality is terrible... Anyway, you can see a motor-boat pretending to be an amphibious car here :D

View attachment 57124
The town of Serock (where River Bug joins the Narew) is just beautiful; of course not a single photo taken there... We rode downhill to take some ride along the lake's shore. There is a short and fairly easy technical bike trail there, yet my Lovelec was no match even for that. Suddenly, I saw a dangerous downhill segment ahead. Panicked, stopped hard, and the bike started falling... "No way I let me fall again!" I thought in a millisecond. I jumped from the bike, and the bike fell alone. The day saved! :D

View attachment 57126
A public (and free) beach in Serock. Most of the area around the lake is occupied by recreational centres owned by large companies and sports clubs (also many marinas), with some space available to the general public.

I was recollecting my youth. When I was 13, I joined the Yacht Klub Polski (that's the club's name) and began my short inland-sailing adventure. We had a base on a ship moored at the YKP marina very close to the beach shown. It was a wonderful month in the Summer! Later, I started participating in sailing races on the Zegrze Lake and it was what discouraged me from sailing very soon. Competetive sports are not for me. (After we DNF the first race, I quit sailing).

View attachment 57127
A rest at 47th kilometre. We soon realized we needed more water for drinking! We could buy more water in Nieporęt, and I was so naugthy I allowed me some ice-cream! :D

View attachment 57128
The largest (and nearest to Warsaw) public beach in Nieporęt was in a state of mess. Anyone trying to get there had trouble to park their car first (the police were issuing hundreds of tickets for wrong parking, we could witness that!) There was immense traffic on the road segment as shown. To get onto the beach (paid admission), you had to wait in line perhaps for hours, since the number of people admitted to the beach was limited due to covid. We were in luxurious situation as the traffic jam (add car accidents to it) didn't pertain to us, the cyclists.

The Road-Cycling Race (won!)
Around 35 km to the completing of the loop, Jacek and I were tired and lacking the motivation, even if we were riding downwind. Suddenly, a fairly young road-cyclist overtook us! We didn't even blink. Almost automatically, we pushed on the pedals harder and our cadence increased.

-- Jacek, bro, what if we pursue that guy? If we caught up with him, I could say something really funny to him -- I said.
-- Start spinning, you're lagging -- Jacek said.
-- Should I say "start spinning, you're lagging" to him? -- I laughed.
-- No. You start spinning. You're lagging! -- Jacek barked at me.

A silence fell. We were deadly calm and really meant the business. The speed was increasing. 31... 32... 33... 34... 35 km/h. Jacek was on his 20/20% PAS and I was on a 250W hub-drive motor PAS 3 of 5. We pedalled hard for 7 kilometres and I finally rode two-abreast the road cyclist.

-- Hello! Good day to you! The peloton has just cancelled your attack! -- I smiled to the guy. He blinked.
-- Ah. So you're riding that kind of bike... -- he said -- I was thinking it was something wrong with me when I noticed two tourists approaching me from behind...
-- Yeah, sure! We're riding electric bikes. But we don't compete with you really, it was meant as a practical joke -- at that moment we rode 34 km/h and none of us was panting -- you see, I'm almost sixty -- I smiled at the guy.
-- Where are you from, guys? -- he wanted to know.
-- We're making a metric century loop, starting in Wyszków.
-- Oh. I'm from Warsaw, starting in Jagów. I had to bring my bike to this area, since a road-bike is not practical on Warsaw bike paths...
-- We're both actually Warsawers, too -- I said -- Yes, certainly, a road-bike needs a road to be ridden! Let me tell you I respect road cyclists very much as you guys have a real passion for the sport! Thank you for giving us a great motivation!

The guy started drafting behind Jacek and I was leading the pack.

-- Jacek! -- I yelled -- A joke is a joke but I cannot ride for the next 27 kilometres at that speed! We need to slow down a bit! Friend! Lead the pack! Ride on! -- I shouted at the road biker and he followed the suit, slowly disappearing in front of us.

He made our day. Our morale improved and we continued riding towards Wyszków.

View attachment 57140
The Vado and the Lovelec are made for road. Although we both hated it, we had to take an off-road shortcut. I spotted nice tourist shelters and we took a long rest some 10 km to the destination. It was a fortunate decision. While we were enjoying the Nature, there was a rainfall in Wyszków. When we later reached Wyszków, the rain was already over :) I had ridden for some two hours without the jersey. Got minor sunburn :D

View attachment 57141
Jacek's result: 67% of Vado battery used for 100 km. His maximum single-battery range would be 150 km (93 mi). Practical range would be 90 miles. Jacek is a candidate for the Specialized Turbo Vado SL, I think.

Our detailed route can be found under the link

View attachment 57143
100.9 km in 4 hours and 1 minute. Our average speed was 25.12 km/h (around 15.6 mph). My first battery was good for 71 kilometres.

@byunbee, our strategy is different from yours. I always plan the upwind segment first to ride with the wind when we're tired.
I’m a bit confused. Headwind means wind blowing against you making the ride harder. Tailwind means the wind is pushing you forward from behind. I ride against the headwind when I start since I have more energy and ride with the tailwind on my ride back when I’m tired.

I guess what’s confusing me is that you said you ride “first” with the upwind when you’re tired. Wouldn’t you be tired on the trip back than when you first start?

Hmm...apologies if I’m misunderstanding something obvious.🤔

If I have to ride in windy days, I always prefer to start my ride into the tailwind, so that I have something to look forward to on my return trip. :D
The "ride into the tailwind" is confusing. If I ride "into the wind" , I ride against it, or I fight the headwind. If I ride with the wind, I'm moving propelled by the tailwind, or, I'm moving in the same direction as the wind's blowing.
How can you "ride into the tailwind"? I thought you only could ride with the tailwind or ride into the headwind. Obvious language confusion!

I always plan the upwind segment first
to ride with the wind when we're tired.
We start the ride upwind, meaning "into the headwind".
We finish the ride with the tailwind, that is, downwind ;)

Last edited:
Back