2020 : Our Rides in Words, Photos & Videos

• Thread starter Deleted member 18083
  • Start date
Yes, that would be Sosnowa Góra precisely! 🤣 There are at least five locations by that name in Poland.

The Brotherly Ride (Around All Vistula River Bridges in Warsaw and Beyond)

I drove in my brethren lot in Kiełpin (north of Warsaw) at 10 a.m. on Saturday. We had a morning coffee with Jacek and then we were ready for a ride (I had my cycling clothes already on when I arrived to Jacek's place, my backpack prepared, too). Jacek, who is only 3 years younger than me, is fit and strong. We were both interested about my Giant Trance E+ real range and whether a 25 km/h e-bike could keep up with a fast traditional MTB rider.

I was unaware that Jacek's plan was to fulfil my dream: Riding around all River Vistula bridges in Warsaw. Actually, I know all the routes there but I've never completed the round trip around all ten bridges we have in our capital city. (There's the bridge #11 under construction now). One really warm day I will do some even more interesting trip with riding over the all ride-able bridges and taking a plenty of pictures. Not on our latest ride, as Jacek is all about the ride, and he hates making stops :D He added several kilometres to the trip to show me several things I might be interested with for our future rides.

The maximum power-assisted speed of my Giant was 26.2 km/h. Which was rather sad, as overtaking slower cyclists had to be done on pedals only. Jacek cooperated very well, he was in the lead over almost the entire ride. The full suspension is worth every money! Whatever the terrain was, the ride was smooth and comfortable. (There was a single exception, read on).

Conquering The Slab

To my surprise, Jacek standard route had never extended southwards beyond the Łazienkowski Bridge. "Why don't we ride up to the Siekierkowski Bridge? I know all the routes there!" -- I suggested, and we rode even further southwards. Yes, I had known all the routes there except one. So we rode through an extremely narrow concrete embankment of the Vistula (it was dangerous because one could fall into the river there), then we negotiated the Ulga Canal through a silly gangplank, and we found ourselves at the lowest level under the Siekierkowski Bridge. No-one really uses that route since there are plethora of bike paths above, at the Miedzeszyński Wall (embankment). And we met The Slab (sorry, no pictures taken!) It was a buttress supporting a pathway above. A concrete slab of at least 45 degrees or more. You could just walk up the stairs, walking your bike sideways...

-- Walking the bike up?! I?! -- I was looking at The Slab with contempt (and with awe at the same time) while I was slowly riding towards it. Left thumb dialling the Max Assist mode, the right thumb energetically downshifting to the granny gear...

I made it. It was something I could only see in dreams before. The front wheel was ready to fall off the wall -- I pushed my weight on the bars -- The Monster crawled up the slab as if a giant spider. I made it! Glory to Electric Mountain Bikes! If the rider has no fear, the e-MTB is fearless too! Oh my... Jacek stood with his jaw dropped.

View attachment 53237
My Monster and me at the Żerań Pedestrian/Bike Bridge, over the Royal Canal.

View attachment 53238
My mentor Jacek, wearing a quality breathable face-mask.

View attachment 53239
There are several water intakes in Warsaw, all looking alike. Some of them are built in the middle of the river. The ones you can easily see bear nicknames such as Fat Kaśka, Slim Wojtek. I could see this specific water intake for the first time in my life, so well it is hidden from the view. The bridge in the background it the Siekierkowski, the most southern of Warsaw bridges (until the Southern Bridge is completed).

View attachment 53241

I'm not sure if the paving you see is used in your country. A Polish engineer Władysław Tryliński patented it in 1933. It is made from hexagonal blocks of concrete and we call it "trylinka", the tri-link. When it gets damaged, it becomes the only type of the road surface the full suspension bike is incapable to tolerate 🤣

View attachment 53243
Jacek, the Warsaw Mermaid, and the Świętokrzyski (Holy Cross) Bridge. We're at the left river bank there.

View attachment 53244
The arrows indicate the most apart Warsaw bridges.

View attachment 53245

I was very satisfied with the ride. The range would be 75 km if I travelled at the maximum power-assisted speed or more if I rode alone but slower. The riding experience was just fantastic!
Thats where mid drives outdo hubs, I would melt the phasewires in about 30 secs.
Im guess it was like this.

Conquering The Slab
To my surprise, Jacek standard route had never extended southwards beyond the Łazienkowski Bridge. "Why don't we ride up to the Siekierkowski Bridge? I know all the routes there!" -- I suggested, and we rode even further southwards. Yes, I had known all the routes there except one. So we rode through an extremely narrow concrete embankment of the Vistula (it was dangerous because one could fall into the river there), then we negotiated the Ulga Canal through a silly gangplank, and we found ourselves at the lowest level under the Siekierkowski Bridge. No-one really uses that route since there are plethora of bike paths above, at the Miedzeszyński Wall (embankment). And we met The Slab (sorry, no pictures taken!) It was a buttress supporting a pathway above. A concrete slab of at least 45 degrees or more. You could just walk up the stairs, walking your bike sideways...
-- Walking the bike up?! I?! -- I was looking at The Slab with contempt (and with awe at the same time) while I was slowly riding towards it. Left thumb dialing the Max Assist mode, the right thumb energetically downshifting to the granny gear... I made it. It was something I could only see in dreams before. The front wheel was ready to fall off the wall -- I pushed my weight on the bars -- The Monster crawled up the slab as if it were a giant spider. I made it! Glory to Electric Mountain Bikes! If the rider has no fear, the e-MTB is fearless too! Oh my... Jacek stood with his jaw dropped.

View attachment 53237
My Monster and me at the Żerań Pedestrian/Bike Bridge, over the Royal Canal.

View attachment 53238
My mentor Jacek, wearing a quality breathable face-mask.

View attachment 53239
There are several water intakes in Warsaw, all looking alike. Some of them are built in the middle of the river. The ones you can easily see bear nicknames such as Fat Kaśka, Slim Wojtek. I could see this specific water intake for the first time in my life, so well it is hidden from the view. The bridge in the background it the Siekierkowski, the most southern of Warsaw bridges (until the Southern Bridge is completed).

View attachment 53241

I'm not sure if the paving you see is used in your country. A Polish engineer Władysław Tryliński patented it in 1933. It is made from hexagonal blocks of concrete and we call it "trylinka", the tri-link. When it gets damaged, it becomes the only type of the road surface the full suspension bike is incapable to tolerate 🤣

View attachment 53243
Jacek, the Warsaw Mermaid, and the Świętokrzyski (Holy Cross) Bridge. We're at the left river bank there.
The arrows indicate the most apart Warsaw bridges.

I was very satisfied with the ride. The range would be 75 km if I traveled at the maximum power-assisted speed or more if I rode alone but slower. The riding experience was just fantastic!

Congratulations on conquering your Slab! ;)

The video linked below challenges riders with a 75% gradient/ 37' degree slope monster SLAB in Bristol Gorge.

Thats where mid drives outdo hubs, I would melt the phase wires in about 30 secs. I'm guessing it was like this.

1590333849324.png

Last edited:
The Demon Dog's energy was about to cause her to explode. She'd been a BAD DOG a few times this week so I decided to take her up to a Happy Place for a long run and ride. I also decided to go for a longer distance. Instead of going 10 miles we would go 14. Traffic was light on the drive up to the local mountain pass. The place where we usually park still had a closed barricade on the road, but lots of people were parked there. I went on up the road to the same wide spot as before.

The unplanned plan was to ride leisurely and stop and rest the Demon Dog frequently. However, the Demon was not aware of the plan and took off like usual, veering off to terrorize the chipmunks, mice and microbes in the area. I beeped her back onto the road. She wears an E collar and a beep is usually all it takes to stop the terrorizing and get back on the road.

Here is how the first rest stop worked. The Demon's idea of resting was to plunge into the pond, exit, and hop around looking for something that could be chased. The resting lasted about 5 minutes, then I decided we must continue.
DSC01163.JPG

We traveled on into the old burn. The wildflowers were pretty good today. Whilst I took the picture, the demon dog "rested" by trying to flush some critters up. There were none, but it kept her busy. She is a busy dog.
DSC01169.JPG

DSC01170.JPG

The obligatory bike photo with the Chelan Sawtooths in the far distance.
DSC01166.JPG

At 7 miles in, we had only met one vehicle and saw no campers. On the way out, I would be reminded why I avoid these places on weekends, especially a holiday weekend--even a weekend when we are in the Stay Home, Stay Safe way of life.

On the way back, another stop to "rest the dog" and eat my peanut butter sandwich. As you can see, the dog is truly resting. While stopped here, a pickup went by with the bed full of happy people. They waved, I waved. Not too bad.
DSC01174.JPG

A little ways further and I met a Land Rover with a very serious looking driver, then 4 land cruisers right behind. All the drivers were very serious looking men who did not wave nor even slow down. The Demon was off the road searching for something to annoy, and I kept moving along on the side of the road. I figured that the serious men in serious off road vehicles must have to seriously concentrate on keeping on the paved road. Oh well. Seriously!

Here is a photo of what I call a Sign Of NO except this one doesn't have as many rules posted on it as most Signs of NO do. The road I am riding is a snowmobile and ski trail in the winter. There is a whole network of ski trails in the area which are groomed and you can ski for the price of a parking permit. I sometimes ride those. too. I have not tried the Gazelle on those trails but probably will when I am not alone. I forced the Demon Dog to stay and sit for this photo. Otherwise she'd probably be off "resting" somewhere nearby.
DSC01175.JPG

The last bit of the ride was the worst. That was because we were getting closer and closer to somebody shooting. It sounded like a 22 to me and I could only hope they were being safe. I don't mind people shooting, but I've seen some people being total idiots while shooting. The Demon Dog is not afraid of it. On another ride, she ran up to the shooter and barked at him while he continued to shoot into......a lake. Anyway, when we got to the idiots of today, they were just shooting from their camp down into the woods, where there are trails and roads and often people. I did not stop to lecture, I just kept going and reminding myself not to ride in this area again on a weekend. We got back to the truck, and the Demon Dog finally rested while I got things loaded up. She is sleeping while I've been writing this. She should be recharged soon.
DSC01177.JPG

Last edited:
The Demon Dog's energy was about to cause her to explode. She'd been a BAD DOG a few times this week so I decided to take her up to a Happy Place for a long run and ride. I also decided to go for a longer distance. Instead of going 10 miles we would go 14. Traffic was light on the drive up to the local mountain pass. The place where we usually park still had a closed barricade on the road, but lots of people were parked there. I went on up the road to the same wide spot as before.

The unplanned plan was to ride leisurely and stop and rest the Demon Dog frequently. However, the Demon was not aware of the plan and took off like usual, veering off to terrorize the chipmunks, mice and microbes in the area. I beeped her back onto the road. She wears an E collar and a beep is usually all it takes to stop the terrorizing and get back on the road.

Here is how the first rest stop worked. The Demon's idea of resting was to plunge into the pond, exit, and hop around looking for something that could be chased. The resting lasted about 5 minutes, then I decided we must continue.
View attachment 53295

We traveled on into the old burn. The wildflowers were pretty good today. Whilst I took the picture, the demon dog "rested" by trying to flush some critters up. There were none, but it kept her busy. She is a busy dog.
View attachment 53296
View attachment 53297
View attachment 53298
At 7 miles in, we had only met one vehicle and saw no campers. On the way out, I would be reminded why I avoid these places on weekends, especially a holiday weekend--even a weekend when we are in the Stay Home, Stay Safe way of life.

On the way back, another stop to "rest the dog" and eat my peanut butter sandwich. As you can see, the dog is truly resting. While stopped here, a pickup went by with the bed full of happy people. They waved, I waved. Not too bad.
View attachment 53299

A little ways further and I met a Land Rover with a very serious looking driver, then 4 land cruisers right behind. All the drivers were very serious looking men who did not wave nor even slow down. The Demon was off the road searching for something to annoy, and I kept moving along on the side of the road. I figured that the serious men in serious off road vehicles must have to seriously concentrate on keeping on the paved road. Oh well. Seriously!

Here is a photo of what I call a Sign Of NO except this one doesn't have as many rules posted on it as most Signs of NO do. The road I am riding is a snowmobile and ski trail in the winter. There is a whole network of ski trails in the area which are groomed and you can ski for the price of a parking permit. I sometimes ride those. too. I have not tried the Gazelle on those trails but probably will when I am not alone. I forced the Demon Dog to stay and sit for this photo. Otherwise she'd probably be off "resting" somewhere nearby.
View attachment 53300
The last bit of the ride was the worst. That was because we were getting closer and closer to somebody shooting. It sounded like a 22 to me and I could only hope they were being safe. I don't mind people shooting, but I've seen some people being total idiots while shooting. The Demon Dog is not afraid of it. On another ride, she ran up to the shooter and barked at him while he continued to shoot into......a lake. Anyway, when we got to the idiots of today, they were just shooting from their camp down into the woods, where there are trails and roads and often people. I did not stop to lecture, I just kept going and reminding myself not to ride in this area again on a weekend. We got back to the truck, and the Demon Dog finally rested while I got things loaded up. She is sleeping while I've been writing this. She should be recharged soon.
View attachment 53301
Wife and I are looking for a dog to accompany us on bike trips. Miss having a dog around ...

Cowlitz - beautifully written, and, without doubt, delectably enjoyable. I needed a Demon Dog story today, and you came through with sparkling colors and brillant verbage to make the day not only yours, but ours as well.

My day was crap gray and exhausting in its endeavor to be utterly uninspired. Like it had woken up at dawn, and wandered half asleep with endless yawns downstairs to throw itself on the sofa and snooze the day away, still in pajamas.

I didn't ride today, but I'm glad you did. Thank you.

Wife and I are looking for a dog to accompany us on bike trips. Miss having a dog around ...

I got the Demon Dog when my Chocolate Lab was getting towards the sad day. I hoped he'd instill some wisdom into the young dog, and that the Demon, who may have some lab genes in her might be like a small lab. Well, it didn't quite work out. Sometimes the suspected Lab genes kick in and she'll retrieve, but that doesn't often happen. One time she was playing with Labs and they refused to retrieve two nice toys in a cold lake. The Demon Dog, who has never done this before or after, hopped out into the water, studied the situation and swam out and brought in a toy, and then did it again. She shamed the retrievers!

She is an airhead and my neighbor who is a teacher offered to bring her some ritalin. The Demon Dog is easily distracted but extremely athletic and can climb and leap over fences that are designed to keep dogs in. That is not a good thing, but she takes up less space in my travel trailer than a full size Lab and that is a good thing. She makes a good bike dog.

I got the Demon Dog when my Chocolate Lab was getting towards the sad day. I hoped he'd instill some wisdom into the young dog, and that the Demon, who may have some lab genes in her might be like a small lab. Well, it didn't quite work out. Sometimes the suspected Lab genes kick in and she'll retrieve, but that doesn't often happen. One time she was playing with Labs and they refused to retrieve two nice toys in a cold lake. The Demon Dog, who has never done this before or after, hopped out into the water, studied the situation and swam out and brought in a toy, and then did it again. She shamed the retrievers!

She is an airhead and my neighbor who is a teacher offered to bring her some ritalin. The Demon Dog is easily distracted but extremely athletic and can climb and leap over fences that are designed to keep dogs in. That is not a good thing, but she takes up less space in my travel trailer than a full size Lab and that is a good thing. She makes a good bike dog.
Yes I could tell she had some lab, but not big enough for full. She might have spaniel too, which is what I'm looking at now. Had a border collie and a corgi... sorta...both good mutts that looked like they might be pure except they were both twice the size they were suppossed to get. 80lb "border collie" and 40lb "corgi" ... not pure.
We travel in a campervan (or will post pandemic) so no room for a lab sized dog, and I do not have enough energy for a spaniel pup. But lots of good dogs out there.

The Brotherly Ride 2 (The KPN Ride with Piotr)

Meet my other brother (technically, the paternal first cousin) Piotr -- or the little brother of Jacek -- who is eleven years younger than me. Piotr is a person very much interested in history and he makes a perfect guide; he's also a cycling fan and as good mechanic as his older brother, with keen eye for finding small details instantly. I wanted to have my second "brotherly ride" together with him. Piotr said the day before that we'd go for a ride inside the Kampinos National Park (KPN) if no raining on Sunday.

It rained the whole night before and it was gloomy. At 9 a.m. it was no raining, the sun emerged and the temperature rose to the "rideable" level. I gave Piotr a phone call, put the fully charged Giant battery and my backpack into the car and we met at 11 a.m. at the brothers' place. (The brethren had been as smart as to suggest to me to leave my Monster in their garage and only take the battery home for charging).

A beautiful day indeed. It was getting warmer and warmer, splendid sunshine and, yes, the wind that got dispersed inside the woods. We rode a variety of terrain but mostly the sands, and I fell in love with my Trance even more: the Monster was cutting through the sands like a knife through the butter. Piotr told me it was a spray of sand from the rear wheel. I rode mostly PAS 1 to be on par with the traditional cyclist, PAS 2 for the sands and PAS 2 uphill. 61% of battery was left after the ride.

Ah, I have re-discovered my Fuji X30 pocket camera that is so small and lightweight I could carry it on the strap and take photos while riding. Yay!

1590381728117.png

Piotr, the perfect guide. He rides a Scott hard-tail MTB. The aluminium bike weighs mere 14 kg (30.8 lb).

1590381943931.png

At the German cemetery in Dziekanów. Piotr told me about the history I was not aware of. The area was settled by the German long time ago. The German (and the Dutch in other places) were the nations of which many settlers found their home in Mazovia. Very few graves have survived to this day. Anna Karoline Graff resting here turned out to be the great grandmother of Renata, the wife of Jacek! I used to wonder why the maiden name of Renata was Graff... and I got the answer! The location was even named The German Dziekanów before WW2, only renamed to the Forest Dziekanów after the war.

1590382412056.png

Piotr at speed on a tarmac road towards Palmiry.

1590382507418.png

A may bug. We took a rest near to the WW2 Palmiry Massacre Memorial (I reported the place in one of my earlier posts).

1590382685065.png

Piotr was encouraging me to practice downhill riding. More and more fun for me!

1590382808043.png

I hope my untied shoelace will pass unnoticed? 🤔

1590382954528.png

During the German invasion of September 1939, a lot of fighting happened in the area. Here, a Polish tankette commanded by Platoon Cdr Cadet Edmund Orlik destroyed a German PKW III tank, of which commander, Lieutenant von Ratibor (the Prince of Ratibor!) lost his life. Ratibor (Racibórz) is a city in Poland now.

1590383223853.png

The dreaded cobblestone Palmiry - Truskaw road. Even the full suspension e-MTB is afraid of the cobblestone! The option was riding the sand instead, which I and Monster chose.

1590383386338.png

-- Piotr, we must go single track now! -- Aye, aye, sir! -- the little brother conformed.

1590383531007.png

So single track we went. At some clearing, we lay down in the grass, ate cake and chatted. "I heard a snake in the grass; it could be a viper" Piotr said, so we left the place immediately.

1590383802272.png

Post-ride beer 🤣 Don't try that beer at home!

1590383974748.png

Ride stats.

1590393954796.png

On the next morning at 8 p.m., I met a hair-dresser. You normally need to wait for a hair-cut for two weeks in the covid-world. I got mine much faster, due to certain local connections... (Know and respect your local cab driver!) ;)

Last edited:

View attachment 53295

View attachment 53296
View attachment 53297
View attachment 53298

View attachment 53299

View attachment 53300
View attachment 53301
Snowmobile tracks...Im so envious, they probably sell about 3 snowmobiles a year in the UK.

Snowmobile tracks...Im so envious, they probably sell about 3 snowmobiles a year in the UK.

Snowmobiling is a big deal here. Just over the hills to the west, where Mr. Coffee lives, cross country (Nordic) skiing is popular. There is also a little one chairlift ski area quite near to where I was riding.

@Stefan Mikes What untied shoelace? ;) Better to tie a double knot like I do, much safer! Looks like you are having a lot of fun with your new Trance!:)

After a terrible weekend of atrocious weather, today was just stunning and a perfect day for a cycle trip! Just over 41 glorious miles on lovely dry mostly deserted roads, just biking heaven!:D There's a young foal in a field near me and everytime I approach the said field it bolts away from me and hides behind mom, today I got lucky as it was having a nap away from mom and I sneaked up to get a couple of photos before it even realised I was there!😁
1590418619166.jpeg

It suddenly realised I was there and stumbled to its feet and had a good stretch before running for cover behind mom!🤣
1590418730461.jpeg

Time to get back to cycling now, no more horseplay today!:p Lots of ups and downs as always, some lovely fast descents and steep climbs which my bike just laughs at, it was just one of those days when everything clicks into place! I got back home with a huge smile on my face and a feeling of real satisfaction, I feel extremely lucky in these times of Covid 19 to be able to get out in the countryside and make the most of these hard days!
1590418997559.png

Attachments

• elevation_profile145.jpg
    elevation_profile145.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 275
  • 49486609.png
    49486609.png
    426.2 KB · Views: 274
  • 20200525_095503.jpg
    20200525_095503.jpg
    785.6 KB · Views: 282
  • 20200525_095515.jpg